Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves for sale?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Potentially my club valuation is way off the mark here… But what might we be worth in the PL to buy? Approx £150m maybe?

But in the Championship, £30m?

Pure estimations based on guess work and nothing else… So here’s a completely clutched at theory:

Fosun have wanted to sell Wolves for a while, thought it would be done in last 12 months, but failed to find the buyer needed, then when we were looking nailed on for relegation they splashed the cash in January to keep us in the PL and protect their asset - hoping a sale would materialize this summer.

No interest has been forthcoming, and so as a business they’ve midway through the summer made the call to start clawing some money back and recouped circa £100m in player sales, on the premise that relegation is likely, and therefore if they sell us next season they’ll only get £30m, but have softened the blow with recouping £100m now, meaning they’re not so far off the £150m they thought they could get.

Merely speculating and using the forum for what it’s for, discussion.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Potentially my club valuation is way off the mark here… But what might we be worth in the PL to buy? Approx £150m maybe?

Pure estimations based on guess work and nothing else… So here’s a completely clutched at theory:

Fosun have wanted to sell Wolves for a while, thought it would be done in last 12 months, but failed to find the buyer needed, then when we were looking nailed on for relegation they splashed the cash in January to keep us in the PL and protect their asset - hoping a sale would materialize this summer.

No interest has been forthcoming, and so as a business they’ve midway through the summer made the call to start clawing some money back and recouped circa £100m in player sales, on the premise that relegation is likely, and therefore if they sell us next season they’ll only get £30m, but have softened the blow with recouping £100m now, meaning they’re not so far off the £150m they thought they could get.

Seems logical.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely any potential investors are going to want to run us at a profit as well? Why own us to run us at a loss?

Because that’s what fans online want to happen. A multibillionaire who is happy to lose good money after bad, just to keep us buying more and more players.

T

TheConcourse

Surely any potential investors are going to want to run us at a profit as well? Why own us to run us at a loss?
Hopefully future investors will bring in a more realistic model. More fans, higher finishes.. more revenue.

Fosun tried by talking about non-football things: music, fashion and eSports, but every effort seemed half-***** with teams and structures that could never compete with brands already established in those sectors.

What business is arrogant enough to think they can spin up 3 brands over night, in already established categories and think they’ll generate huge revenue on the basis that they have an audience who subscribe to a totally different range of products and emotions.

Utter stupidity from Jeff.

Should never have sacked Nuno. Should have given him the money that they’ve subsequently ****ed up a wall, and slowly tried to grow ONE brand at a time to generate revenue.

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
I would imagine were probably valued over 250m personally. Despite the apparent FFP issues, we're relatively debt free (i'm assuming) as loans have been to Fosun and paid off by them also. 99m government loan was against Fosun and not the club.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much have Fosun spent/ written off so far? and how much in debt are we?

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't think even the Arabs would have the vast billions needed to improve the area because you're right it is and always has been an utter dump.
Eastlands used to be a rat infested dump before the sheikh turned up, not so bad now around there and the new venue to rival the O2 will improve it further. City don’t seem to be bothered that Maine road was sold off, since they left their 35k stadium they haven’t looked back.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully future investors will bring in a more realistic model. More fans, higher finishes.. more revenue.

Fosun tried by talking about non-football things: music, fashion and eSports, but every effort seemed half-***** with teams and structures that could never compete with brands already established in those sectors.

What business is arrogant enough to think they can spin up 3 brands over night, in already established categories and think they’ll generate huge revenue on the basis that they have an audience who subscribe to a totally different range of products and emotions.

Utter stupidity from Jeff.

Should never have sacked Nuno. Should have given him the money that they’ve subsequently ****ed up a wall, and slowly tried to grow ONE brand at a time to generate revenue.
we've seen accounts figures from the footballing side of things, we don't get to see, or I've not seen anything from any of the other areas
on the face of it and with our current need to sell sell sell so as not to make another big loss it would seem they havent helped increase turnover or profitability at least not by any significant amount

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

300 million is what they want.

Last summer's spending came directly instructed from Guo. I'm not only saying that because of the Athletic piece, I've been saying it consistently since last summer. WHY Guo demanded it, I have no idea but could speculate same as you it was to protect the investment.

Here I disagree. I don't think we're in relegation trouble. With JL and the players we have, we're fine. Not great, but fine. I think that is what is being relied on at the moment.

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
If we are sold what happens about the 'brand', who owns the international use of our name and logo, would it be licensed or owned by Fosun still and could that make any sale more problematic?

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Fosun's plan was to be a disrupter. Do things differently. Leading the way in the loan-to-buy model, using contacts to get good deals, steal a march on rivals by doing things differently. And in all fairness, it was working. Before covid Wolves looked to be the challenger club ready to crack the top 6. Covid derailed everything. Since then Fosun have been trying to run Wolves in basically the same way every other club of our size is run, and when it comes to that we simply don't have the revenue to compete.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This update, which I believe has been fed by the club, should have come out months ago.

There's a belief that fans just want, want, want. It gets levelled at people on here, but it's not true. We all want Wolves to do well, and the club need to be honest, even if it's through the media, like this.

We can finally shut the FFP myth up. This confirms it was an issue, but the financial situation goes beyond that.
We know Fosun don't want to spend and are open to selling the club. We can adjust expectations accordingly, there is now a broader understanding of where we are.
We know that we're effectively trying to tread water until we're sold.

Don't get me wrong, the update is ****. We're effectively entering the Mike Ashley years. Owner who don't really want to be here, who won't put money in. But, what can we do? Nothing. So now we're roughly on the same page, it can help people pull together.

People don't want to have it in for Fosun. Most recognise all the good they've done. If they said, which I think they're saying, we've done our bit now, we can't put more money in, the club is up for sale, I think most would accept that stance.

I think this will help unite the support. There's no more bull****, there's no more FFP is an issue. We've got what we've got, and it's bad, but let's make the most of it.

Now, I just hope this is the extent of it. That we can try and get players in, and there are no unexpected big sales in the coming weeks.

Honesty is the best policy for a club in this position, and hopefully this is the first step of that.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we are sold what happens about the 'brand', who owns the international use of our name and logo, would it be licensed or owned by Fosun still and could that make any sale more problematic?

It is complicated, yep. The whole FOSUN SPORTS thing complicates the sale.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To all those who think it would be terrible if we were bought by Arabs we're currently owned by the Chinese whose human rights record is as bad if not worse.

I can't believe I keep having to say this, but there's a huge difference between a club owned by a state with a poor human rights record and a club owned by a citizen (or company) of that state that has a poor human rights record. There is NO LINK between the CCP and the funding of Wolves afaik.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Who would buy us? I don’t hear about any wealthy suitors with any offers being made for us. Fosun themselves have been trying get in investors for a while now but nothing significant has been forthcoming. Before we go wishing for new owners let’s see who these potential new owners are.
As owners go Fosun have given us the best achievements for a couple of generations. Let’s not forget that.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
if we do get sold- i wonder what happens with the e-sports with the wolf logo etc ? and the clothes ?!!!

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Also, just to put some optimism back into the conversation, this doesn't change ANYTHING about the window. Wolves being up for full or partial sale has been an open secret for a long time. It's been talked about on here many times already. It's not a decision tht has come out of the blue halfway through the window to screw everything up, it's been factored into the plan all along. There is not much money floating around at the club right now, but there is some and I still expect the club to have spent 35-45 million by the end of the window.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I can't believe I keep having to say this, but there's a huge difference between a club owned by a state with a poor human rights record and a club owned by a citizen (or company) of that state that has a poor human rights record. There is NO LINK between the CCP and the funding of Wolves afaik.
There are many people on here who understand how China works better than I do, and you might be one of them, but I'd say it's naive to imagine there is any such thing as a private company (of the size of Fosun) in China.
e.g.
Fosun’s investments in Portugal provide insight into the Chinese Communist Party’s activism in shaping the business environment for private sector players, as the company’s international strategy faced the challenge of balancing alignment with state goals against a regulatory crackdown on private sector outbound spending.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would say with the 100m+ in TV revenue alone from the Prem that the difference between valuations would be larger.. I would guesstimate that the valuations would be more like 250-300mill in Prem and 80-120mill in Championship

Wolfenstein

Groupie
Reaction score

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Come on Mods when I posted this yesterday I had outcries of should be another thread. I also got ridiculed and had my post locked down.

Why is it one rule for one and another rule for others on this site.

Dare say I will be permanently blocked now for having g an opinion
Ridiculed? Yesterday the thread was an almighty pain in the ass, sorry.

Wolfenstein

Groupie
Reaction score
Why was that and how can you use inappropriate language.

I said exactly what is being said here in that all is quiet and are we secretly up for sale.

Different title same story.

Sorry that people are not ever entitled to start a new thread unless your in the click.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
newcastle were what c.380m, we must be at least 250 to 300m ratcliffe thats chump change mate come on
Be careful what you wish for. Ratcliffe has a reputation for being a very...hard nosed businessman. Don't suppose there's a perfect owner out there though and I wouldn't complain if he did take us on.

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
The Writings have been on the wall for a while… big investment in January to keep us up. That way we become more sellable.

Now, no money available as we’re being sold.

Players are happy though, which indicates to me that a buyer is inbound.

Back
Top Bottom