Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves appoint The MediaVantage for expansion in the Middle East

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What will **** me off more than anything is..When wolves finally get to the top.(And they will)and are competing in the champions league.
Pre seasons will most probably comprise of an Asian cup tournament or the likes.Where most of the Wolverhampton based fans will be priced out of attending.So these fans who have followed them hum and away all season will be replaced by the plastic fans who Fosun want on board to replace the true fans who ay got the money to OR time to watch em in far away places.I'm almost glad I'm 69 this year.My away season ticket is nearing retirement.Especially with health issues as well.
Nailed on thats modern football for ya!

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of us like to go to these games.They are not meaningless games.I usually base my summer hols on these sort of trips.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I'm truthfully not that fussed that plastics might get to go to meaningless pre-season tournaments half way around the world. I'd be far more worried if they pushed the loyal long-term fans out of meaningful games.

I do get that some other fabs who have regularly attended the pre-season stuff might feel differently.
They will......have a walk round Anfield, Old Trafford or The Eithad etc pre games to see that.

Pre Covid Anfields new 'main stand' was over 75% dedicated to semi corporate and match ticket + hotel packages.

I've was on The Kop for the Steven Ward game. Just as many Irish, Norwegian accents as scouse easily! And that was 2010.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that is a good point. Occasionally some fan might ask the question about whether Fosun are still committed to the club. I'm not sure why, but sometimes it is asked. Deals like this show they are still invested in growing the club in all areas. With this, the Black Arrow FC partnership, e-sports, the fashion label, and the many partnerships they have in China show Wolves are in good hands. Not all of these ideas will work, but the seeds are being planted and hopefully in the coming years we will see the benefit. We are still a long way off the 'big six' commercially, but it is possible we are putting ourselves in a better long term position than other clubs such as Everton, Leeds, Southampton, etc.
How many of those examples grow the 'brand' rather than actual football club though.

Some stuff I've read in the past suggests at some point they'd want the 'Wolves' fashion brand to be bigger than the actual football club (and the football club a side note) for example.

And before anyone says the two don't/always go hand in hand. That fashion stuff they put out in Wolves name in China is bought and worn by people who 90% of which don't know/care its linked to a football club.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
These are the definitions of ‘plastic’ and ‘proper’ supporters that I use in my strange mind.

‘Plastics’ are those people with no geographical link or personal affiliation to a club other than liking them because they’re successful. They see football purely as a form of TV entertainment and rarely, if ever, actually go to a match. Despite this lack of attendance or real link to the club they talk and act as though they are as emotionally invested in their team as ‘proper’ supporters are. They feel qualified to have conversations with you about your team and ‘their’ team as if they are on the same level of being a football supporter as you. They are mistaken. See most Liverpool and Man Utd fans who live in the midlands. Their devotion has never truly been tested because their teams have never truly suffered hardships. I don’t class ‘Roy Hodgson’ or ‘David Moyes’ as true hardships.

‘Proper‘ fans usually have a geographical link to a club but they may have another link other than birthplace. They may have chosen their club to support for their own reasons but they doggedly stand by that club whatever league they are in. I also feel that a ‘proper’ supporter makes every effort to attend matches where possible.

By the above definitions, any new supporters won through these new marketing efforts will be ‘plastic’. Their conversion from ‘plastic’ to ‘proper’ will only happen if they continue to support us over a number of years and even if we suffer relegation. That will not switch teams. They will also need to attend a match for their conversion to be truly complete. Upon attendance they should be given a special badge to mark their conversion. The badge should be made of plastic.

I welcome the investment of ‘plastics’ in our team, their purchase of merchandise is welcome and will help the team that I love (as a result of geographical and personal reasons) progress and improve. However, their opinion on Wolves doesn’t have the same worth as my own, or that of any other ‘proper’ supporter.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are the definitions of ‘plastic’ and ‘proper’ supporters that I use in my strange mind.

‘Plastics’ are those people with no geographical link or personal affiliation to a club other than liking them because they’re successful. They see football purely as a form of TV entertainment and rarely, if ever, actually go to a match. Despite this lack of attendance or real link to the club they talk and act as though they are as emotionally invested in their team as ‘proper’ supporters are. They feel qualified to have conversations with you about your team and ‘their’ team as if they are on the same level of being a football supporter as you. They are mistaken. See most Liverpool and Man Utd fans who live in the midlands. Their devotion has never truly been tested because their teams have never truly suffered hardships. I don’t class ‘Roy Hodgson’ or ‘David Moyes’ as true hardships.

‘Proper‘ fans usually have a geographical link to a club but they may have another link other than birthplace. They may have chosen their club to support for their own reasons but they doggedly stand by that club whatever league they are in. I also feel that a ‘proper’ supporter makes every effort to attend matches where possible.

By the above definitions, any new supporters won through these new marketing efforts will be ‘plastic’. Their conversion from ‘plastic’ to ‘proper’ will only happen if they continue to support us over a number of years and even if we suffer relegation. That will not switch teams. They will also need to attend a match for their conversion to be truly complete. Upon attendance they should be given a special badge to mark their conversion. The badge should be made of plastic.

I welcome the investment of ‘plastics’ in our team, their purchase of merchandise is welcome and will help the team that I love (as a result of geographical and personal reasons) progress and improve. However, their opinion on Wolves doesn’t have the same worth as my own, or that of any other ‘proper’ supporter.
Thats where fans and supporters get blurred as the same,they are not
A supporter goes to games,puts money into the club hence supporting the club
A fan is someone that likes the team, watches the games on tv, maybe even feels a strong affinity to them,but never pays the piper
Thats how i see it anyway,im sure many will disagree

I certainly dont agree you have to come from the area to be a "proper supporter",i know many that travel hundreds of miles to watch us,and imo are more than worthy of supporting our club

Many things stop people from attending,and i wouldnt decry anyone that has stopped coming or cant for health or financial reaons

As long as Wolves are in your heart you will do for me

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thats where fans and supporters get blurred as the same,they are not
A supporter goes to games,puts money into the club hence supporting the club
A fan is someone that likes the team, watches the games on tv, maybe even feels a strong affinity to them,but never pays the piper
Thats how i see it anyway,im sure many will disagree

I certainly dont agree you have to come from the area to be a "proper supporter",i know many that travel hundreds of miles to watch us,and imo are more than worthy of supporting our club

Many things stop people from attending,and i wouldnt decry anyone that has stopped coming or cant for health or financial reaons

As long as Wolves are in your heart you will do for me
Spot on. The person who first took me had a link to the area but lived 110 miles away. He had a season ticket and attended throughout the dark days of the 80s.

He doesn’t go to matches any longer for his own reasons, only watches matches on TV. He probably acts more like a fan these days but his past proves that he is truly a proper supporter.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of those examples grow the 'brand' rather than actual football club though.

Some stuff I've read in the past suggests at some point they'd want the 'Wolves' fashion brand to be bigger than the actual football club (and the football club a side note) for example.

And before anyone says the two don't/always go hand in hand. That fashion stuff they put out in Wolves name in China is bought and worn by people who 90% of which don't know/care its linked to a football club.
Time will tell.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will......have a walk round Anfield, Old Trafford or The Eithad etc pre games to see that.

Pre Covid Anfields new 'main stand' was over 75% dedicated to semi corporate and match ticket + hotel packages.

I've was on The Kop for the Steven Ward game. Just as many Irish, Norwegian accents as scouse easily! And that was 2010.
Been there, seen it, wouldn't argue.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Anyone who has had any doubts over the commitment of foreign fans should listen to the podcast <Whole Lotta Wolves> by the Amercian lads. Their knowledge is more than decent and their commitment is total - often getting up a 4am to watch a game (and invariably, a defeat)

Give it a listen Whole Lotta Wolves Podcast

All these fans are welcome as far as I am concerned makes me even prouder to be part of the pack.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
often getting up a 4am to watch a game (and invariably, a defeat)
This is the one that always gets me, get up early to watch on a stream wooohooo what they want a medal? (plenty of times I've not made it home from games till 4am and I live 5 miles away ha). Maybe if they supported their local teams the MLS might be in a better state.

Not aimed at ex pats, those with proper connections to Wolves etc but them yanks who pick a Premier League team (cuz its the Premier League) can do one for me.

Reaction score
And I wonder how many fans we'd have at Molineux if all those from W'ton who support Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal all supported their local team.
I get your point but think you're missing mine.

You're suggesting people shouldn't be glory hunting and should support their local team, which is fair enough. But aren't people from the areas I mentioned doing just that, just to a lesser extent? That said I do know lots of fan's of non league teams that also support Wolves.

I agree it's frustrating seeing local boys and girls wearing man utd, Chelsea etc tops instead of Wolves though.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s easy get caught up in the tribalism that goes with supporting a football club. We all have our own reasons for supporting Wolves. For some it’s because it’s their hometown club, for others it’s a family thing. I expect some decided to support us because we wear nice shirts or we have a cool badge. Wolves are my team because my Dad supported us........... he grew up in the shadow of Villa Park but was a massive glory hunter! They’re my kids team because I just won’t have it any other way.

We now live in an increasingly global society, access to football games is everywhere (especially in the middle of a pandemic!). Its no longer about being desperate to go to a game and being told by your Dad that you only have option! It’s no great surprise that people from all over the world follow teams for no particular reason or the kid next door says he supports Real Madrid despite living in Cheshire (****ing moron).

When I try to understand why people from anywhere would choose to support a random team I think about the fact I like NFL. I’ve been watching it since Channel 4 put it on in the 80’s but I have never been to any of the places that have a team but to keep interesting I think you have to follow a team.

‘My’ team are the Cincinnati Bengals. Why, they’re ****ing **** I hear you cry? The reality is my Grandad worked for Cincinnati Milacron factory in Erdington when I was a little kid so that’s the tenuous link to me following a team of no hopers. In no way shape or form do I believe that I know half as much about the Bengals as those in Ohio or Kentucky....... or anywhere else in America for that matter but I do care whether they win or more usually lose.

D

Deleted member 8123

I'm sure someone researched the concept of "local " fans and Sunderland and West Brom came out top.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't trust anyone who supports a team other than one within the local area of who they grew up and/or one that a direct relative supported.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be Wolves fans (nobody has the right to say that) just I wish they weren't. Personal opinion.

I do find it hilarious that many will disagree with that but then still mock Man Utd etc with chants of 'you only live round the corner'.

I dont fit either of those, why in earth does that make me untrustworthy? I moved all over the place when I was younger, how do I pick the one I'm allowed to support? This is an utterly ridiculous statement! I support Wolves for many reasons, none of which are your business, and none of which make me a plastic fan!!!

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont fit either of those, why in earth does that make me untrustworthy? I moved all over the place when I was younger, how do I pick the one I'm allowed to support? This is an utterly ridiculous statement! I support Wolves for many reasons, none of which are your business, and none of which make me a plastic fan!!!
Sorry the ‘don’t trust’ was just an expression should read ‘don’t like’

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kidderminster born and bred , when I was 8 my dad took me to my first wolves match in a dilapidated molineux ( a 1-0 win over Plymouth with a veno free kick ) around the same time I also got taken to old Trafford to watch Matt busbys testimonial ( United v rep Ireland ) I saw best , summerby , franny lee etc play in a city old boys v United old boys before the official match , still there was only 1 winner and 1 love for me and that was the famous old gold !! Fwaw

D

Deleted member LP 3925

My point is however if you were born and raised in Norwich for example, and had no connection with Wolves, then in my eyes you should be supporting the club that is the centre of your community, not a club that you have no affiliation with.
Careful, you don’t want to upset EastNorfolkWolf, he’s a right bundle of laughs at the best of times!

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been expanding Wolves in the Middle East for years :tearsofjoy:

The fans here are passionate supporters of their local teams with fierce rivalries e.g between Al Hilal and Al-Nassr in Riyadh and between Al Hilal and Al-Ittihad (from Jeddah).

However, a feature we don't see as much in Britain is everyone has a second foreign team which they follow, including buying shirts etc.

Normally this is the usual suspects, Barca, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

If we can break in to that market, why not?

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kidderminster born and bred , when I was 8 my dad took me to my first wolves match in a dilapidated molineux ( a 1-0 win over Plymouth with a veno free kick ) around the same time I also got taken to old Trafford to watch Matt busbys testimonial ( United v rep Ireland ) I saw best , summerby , franny lee etc play in a city old boys v United old boys before the official match , still there was only 1 winner and 1 love for me and that was the famous old gold !! Fwaw
I remember that Plymouth game, it was my birthday. My Nan wasn’t happy though as she lived in Plymouth at the time and used to go along to Home Park to watch them play.

My birthday present arrived in the post a couple of days later, a Plymouth shirt and scarf. I must admit I still have a bit of a soft spot for them, albeit it’s probably more to do with them now being sponsored by Ginsters!

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
I can see why you'd support Wolves and don't think it's wrong for you to do so. My point is however if you were born and raised in Norwich for example, and had no connection with Wolves, then in my eyes you should be supporting the club that is the centre of your community, not a club that you have no affiliation with.
I live in Sheffield, but was brought up near Wolverhampton. Interestingly, the son of a work colleague has just become a Wolves fan at the age of 14, but has no Wolverhampton connection. He plays football and is trying to emulate his hero Traore. He’s always loved playing football, but had no affiliation to a team until Adama came along.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I live in Sheffield, but was brought up near Wolverhampton. Interestingly, the son of a work colleague has just become a Wolves fan at the age of 14, but has no Wolverhampton connection. He plays football and is trying to emulate his hero Traore. He’s always loved playing football, but had no affiliation to a team until Adama came along.
Imagine being a Sheff Utd/Wed support reading that?

Kids a little plastic.......the 14 year old me would have rightfully given him a slap on the playground ha.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry the ‘don’t trust’ was just an expression should read ‘don’t like’

Thats a bit better, but you're still completely failing to see that there are a multitude of relevant reasons why someone would support us. I've never lived in Wolverhampton but have followed and supported since 86/87. I won't claim to be a die hard, but have never wavered in my support.

The only reason to be called plastic is if you chop and change clubs due to fortune.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Owned by the Shanghai-headquartered Chinese multi-conglomerate and investment company, Fosun International, Wolves has seen tremendous success in recent years having competed in the lucrative UEFA Europa League last season, and seeing high finishes up the Premier League table above the likes of Arsenal and more fancied clubs. Wolves is the Premier League’s ultimate challenger club and have already defeated both Arsenal and Chelsea this season alone. Wolves’ growth over recent seasons has exceeded that of Ajax, PSG and Tottenham, and they are now among the top 20 most valuable football brands in the world.

Reading this, people doubting Fosun's commitment is absolutely bizarre. The moment we lose a game the "Fosun are off" brigade start again. They have made a huge investment and have a long term plan, that isn't changing.

Back
Top Bottom