Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves appoint The MediaVantage for expansion in the Middle East

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Information in the links below.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do find it fascinating that we are getting involved with global enterprises which spreads the Wolves ‘brand’ further afield in places like China and the Middle East.

What I would like to know is how much income these enterprises bring into the club and at what cost?

I’m all for increasing our income streams and fan base but it would be fascinating to know the monetary benefits wouldn’t it.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I do find it fascinating that we are getting involved with global enterprises which spreads the Wolves ‘brand’ further afield in places like China and the Middle East.

What I would like to know is how much income these enterprises bring into the club and at what cost?

I’m all for increasing our income streams and fan base but it would be fascinating to know the monetary benefits wouldn’t it.
Not sure Wolves would ever disclose that information publicly.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Peanuts compared to Silva !
This is all long term stuff, adding value .
Don’t we have more social media followers in Mexico than in UK ?
This will be monetised over next ten years like Liverpool and Man Utd .

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hands up how many have castigated the 'elite' clubs over the years as having 'plastic' fans but see the growth of WWFC''s 'commercial footprint' and 'adding to its fan base' in Asia as wholly commendable?

That we are a 'brand' to be pimped out just like those 'elite' who see themselves as somewhat above the places which created them. Sell the rest of the 'little' clubs down the swanny in the pursuit of 'global success' AKA keeping the plebs in their boxes.

PL status at Molineux comes with some awkward questions.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Put it this way, Fosun are commercially savvy enough that they wouldn't be doing it if it wouldn't generate significant income downstream. That's why other clubs are doing similar things too.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we should stop putting fans in categories and just see them as fans.

I'm glad the club are doing all they can to push the club forward. I've always said it could take Wolves twenty years to compete regularly at the top of the Premier League and this might help in that.

Sellars has said in a couple of interviews Jeff Shi wants an entrepreneurial culture throughout the club. This is just one aspect of it.

WS10Wolf

Reaction score
Wouldn’t the information be shown in their annual accounts?
Of course, but I don’t think they’ll ever publish anything saying we earned x amount from our Middle East revenues.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hands up how many have castigated the 'elite' clubs over the years as having 'plastic' fans but see the growth of WWFC''s 'commercial footprint' and 'adding to its fan base' in Asia as wholly commendable?

That we are a 'brand' to be pimped out just like those 'elite' who see themselves as somewhat above the places which created them. Sell the rest of the 'little' clubs down the swanny in the pursuit of 'global success' AKA keeping the plebs in their boxes.

I guess that in a post-FFP world the question is do we aspire to be competitive with the very top clubs or not.

If we do then l'm afraid generating new income streams is key and that means uncomfortable compromises. We better pinch our noses l guess.

If we don't then we can have the club sit rotting in the middle of the Chump (because make no mistake Fosun wouldn't stick around), probably being passed by clubs traditionally much smaller than us, and praise ourselves for our ideological purity.

I'm afraid l'm off to get a clothes peg for my nose.....

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course, but I don’t think they’ll ever publish anything saying we earned x amount from our Middle East revenues.
I think they might in the Directors Report but we will see.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves fans hypocrisy shocker! Bit like the ones who mock Man Utd etc with songs of 'you only live round the corner' at games but then revel in the fact we've got a wide spread supporter base.

Agree with your point, thankfully as I'm not a big hypocrite I can gladly keep my hand down as don't see it as commendable, I see it at least as a (likely unavoidable) annoyance at being a Premier League club.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Im not sure ive ever understood the "plastic fans" terminology
If you turn up to watch a team whether you are on the terraces or in a box you are still a supporter
If you eat a Balti Pie or a prawn sandwich you are still a supporter
If you are putting your money into the club in whatever way, you are a supporter,as apart from those that just watch the tv and put nothing into the club yet vent their anger at every opportunity
Having spent almost 60 years on the terraces im afraid that probably from now on ill be a fan more so than a supporter,am i now plastic?

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im not sure ive ever understood the "plastic fans" terminology
If you turn up to watch a team whether you are on the terraces or in a box you are still a supporter
If you eat a Balti Pie or a prawn sandwich you are still a supporter
If you are putting your money into the club in whatever way, you are a supporter,as apart from those that just watch the tv and put nothing into the club yet vent their anger at every opportunity
Having spent almost 60 years on the terraces im afraid that probably from now on ill be a fan more so than a supporter,am i now plastic?
For me 'plastic fans' never had anything to do with where you sit what you eat etc it just refers to those that only jump on board (to varying degree's) when times are good.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in the idea you should support your local team. If I wasn't born and raised in Wolverhampton, then I wouldn't have grown up supporting them. However, I do also see the benefit of expanding our fanbase in terms of the money it generates for the club, which has a knock on effect for the city itself.

It would be great if we could achieve top tier success with only "proper" fans, however this isn't very likley; and if it helps out Wolverhampton, then it's good enough for me.

Reactions: Ian

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in the idea you should support your local team. If I wasn't born and raised in Wolverhampton, then I wouldn't have grown up supporting them. However, I do also see the benefit of expanding our fanbase in terms of the money it generates for the club, which has a knock on effect for the city itself.

It would be great if we could achieve top tier success with only "proper" fans, however this isn't very likley; and if it helps out Wolverhampton, then it's good enough for me.
Re your first para: So anyone from just outside Wolvo or from a Wolves supporting family that has moved away from the city shouldn't be a Wolves fan.... Right....

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I was born in Wolverhampton but not raised. I support wolves through my dad but I’m not against anyone who wants to support us. Based on your idea I’d probably have supported Kidderminster at the time I got into football but I’d have no connection to my dad and bro. I’ll try my hardest to get my son into wolves too but I’ll take him occasionally to see Stockport county (when we can) where I live now mainly due to cost/logistics and ability to get a ticket. The world has changed the more the merrier for me!

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your first para: So anyone from just outside Wolvo or from a Wolves supporting family that has moved away from the city shouldn't be a Wolves fan.... Right....
I don't trust anyone who supports a team other than one within the local area of who they grew up and/or one that a direct relative supported.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be Wolves fans (nobody has the right to say that) just I wish they weren't. Personal opinion.

I do find it hilarious that many will disagree with that but then still mock Man Utd etc with chants of 'you only live round the corner'.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the end of betting sponsorship on shirts on the horizon I wonder if this link-up could lead to a Middle East based company replacing our current sponsor. That must be one of the big things currently being considered by the commercial department at the moment. Finding a company to at least match, if not pay more, than a gambling company to have its name on the shirt of a still somewhat little known club in the Premier League must be a challenge. Maybe this link-up will help spread our name across more of the globe and attract the right partner.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I'm not saying that. For example those from Shifnal would probably grow up supporting Wolves as it's the closest League team to them. Some places don't have teams.

I am opposed to the "my uncle was born in Manchester so that's why I support Manchester United".

If you're from a Wolves supporting family I can see how that would be different, but I think it's perfectly plausible to follow Wolves in that instance but also mainly support the team that is in the area you were born and raised in.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was born in Wolverhampton but not raised. I support wolves through my dad but I’m not against anyone who wants to support us. Based on your idea I’d probably have supported Kidderminster at the time I got into football but I’d have no connection to my dad and bro. I’ll try my hardest to get my son into wolves too but I’ll take him occasionally to see Stockport county (when we can) where I live now mainly due to cost/logistics and ability to get a ticket. The world has changed the more the merrier for me!
I can see why you'd support Wolves and don't think it's wrong for you to do so. My point is however if you were born and raised in Norwich for example, and had no connection with Wolves, then in my eyes you should be supporting the club that is the centre of your community, not a club that you have no affiliation with.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see why you'd support Wolves and don't think it's wrong for you to do so. My point is however if you were born and raised in Norwich for example, and had no connection with Wolves, then in my eyes you should be supporting the club that is the centre of your community, not a club that you have no affiliation with.
Agree 100%

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with people supporting a club from outside their area, though in general I dont think I'dget the same enjoymentfrom watching a team from 150 miles away do well. What annoys me is those who support one of the Sky 6 "cos they win lots" and who make it worse by giveing it the big one when said club win something (or beat us). Most have no intention of ever going to support them or any emotional connection.
In fairness I can understand choosing a favourite team in a foreign league that I watched a lot. And Wolves have a unique appeal with the name, badge etc plus a fantastic backstory that's unmatched for highs and lows in England.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I'm not saying that. For example those from Shifnal would probably grow up supporting Wolves as it's the closest League team to them. Some places don't have teams.

I am opposed to the "my uncle was born in Manchester so that's why I support Manchester United".

If you're from a Wolves supporting family I can see how that would be different, but I think it's perfectly plausible to follow Wolves in that instance but also mainly support the team that is in the area you were born and raised in.
My old man was a Salopian Wolves fan who went to matches, home and away, by himself in his teens. I'm a Salopian now living in London who went to my first Wolves match aged 4 in 1967. My 4 year old daughter, born in Wandsworth London, went to her first Wolves match (Flum in the Chump) before she was 1.

Did l go to Shrewsbury matches as a kid with my old man? Yes. Did l support them? No. Doubtless you would try to tell me that we should have gone to Wellington/Telford....

Do l intend my daughter to support the league team nearest to where she was born, which would be AFC Wimbledon? Or even worse the league team which she has lived nearest to for most of her life - that'll be Sarfend. Like ****. The bigger danger is that my other half makes her a Chavski fan.

Oh, and l suggest that you talk to some of the London Wolves fans who have been going home and away since the mid-60s about whether they are real fans.....

Last edited:

WS10Wolf

Reaction score
I think you need to refocus on what “support” actually means in 21st century football. The majority of match-going “supporters” will always come from the local area. Even clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool, a big chunk of their match attending support is local.

However, these same clubs can blow us out of the water financially because they can draw in “support” from worldwide. Not match attending, but they buy shirts, access online content, stream matches, it all adds up.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've no idea how 'plastic fan' might be defined but here's a few pointers.

It has absolutely **** all to do with where you live currently or have n the past. It's little to do with why you came to the club as a supporter.

It has everything to do with how much you know about the club's traditions and history, dependent on age which will play its part. You wouldn't expect every fan to have a google insight in to all of that but one might expect to know how many times we've won something, part played in game development such as 'inventing' the Champions league etc etc.

Be suspicious if you ask a fan who Stan Cullis was and they stare blankly into the distance. Or ask them to name six players from the fifties, or any other decade for that matter, (post war anyway at least) and the same vacant gaze appears. Perhaps a working knowledge of competitions won might be desirable or even what the **** St Luke's Church has to do with anything.

Examples. WWFC has had a London Supporters club for at least fifty years that I know of. Nobody could see them as 'plastic' as there's plenty of successful London clubs to cling on to. Likewise read Ireland/Yorkshire or anywhere else. They are 'proper' fans.

Fans of the club will be different in many ways. If you were born here, and raised drenched in the footballing legend of the club while living cheek by jowl with it in a football region you will always have a different slant/feel for the club to other ways of coming to it. That doesn't make you 'better' or a 'super fan' (before anyone hurts their fingers on the keyboard) just one version of the thousands that truly support the club.

Regarding the 'commercial footprint' and 'selling the brand' that raises many more questions about what's happened to football more widely than just WWFC. The two cannot be totally divorced from the other. We have be 'in it' to 'win it'. If we end up properly 'globally marketable' when would that make us just another 'elite' club who have joined the 'few' who see only their own 'success' -however it's achieved- as all that matters?

Whether the price paid and swimming in the same shark infested pool is ultimately worth it if the sport/game becomes secondary to 'commercial footprints' growing bigger is open to question. How many Chinese citizens are walking around in a Wolves shirt is no measure of being a supporter. Some will be,some just might like the colour of the shirt and are proud they are owned by Chinese business.

Wolverhampton without WWFC would be a far worse place for sure. That shouldn't prevent seeing the wood for the trees though.

NorthWestWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me 'plastic fans' never had anything to do with where you sit what you eat etc it just refers to those that only jump on board (to varying degree's) when times are good.
Also known as the half season ticket brigade!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've no idea how 'plastic fan' might be defined but here's a few pointers.

It has absolutely **** all to do with where you live currently or have n the past. It's little to do with why you came to the club as a supporter.

It has everything to do with how much you know about the club's traditions and history, dependent on age which will play its part. You wouldn't expect every fan to have a google insight in to all of that but one might expect to know how many times we've won something, part played in game development such as 'inventing' the Champions league etc etc.

Be suspicious if you ask a fan who Stan Cullis was and they stare blankly into the distance. Or ask them to name six players from the fifties, or any other decade for that matter, (post war anyway at least) and the same vacant gaze appears. Perhaps a working knowledge of competitions won might be desirable or even what the **** St Luke's Church has to do with anything.

Examples. WWFC has had a London Supporters club for at least fifty years that I know of. Nobody could see them as 'plastic' as there's plenty of successful London clubs to cling on to. Likewise read Ireland/Yorkshire or anywhere else. They are 'proper' fans.

Fans of the club will be different in many ways. If you were born here, and raised drenched in the footballing legend of the club while living cheek by jowl with it in a football region you will always have a different slant/feel for the club to other ways of coming to it. That doesn't make you 'better' or a 'super fan' (before anyone hurts their fingers on the keyboard) just one version of the thousands that truly support the club.

Regarding the 'commercial footprint' and 'selling the brand' that raises many more questions about what's happened to football more widely than just WWFC. The two cannot be totally divorced from the other. We have be 'in it' to 'win it'. If we end up properly 'globally marketable' when would that make us just another 'elite' club who have joined the 'few' who see only their own 'success' -however it's achieved- as all that matters?

Whether the price paid and swimming in the same shark infested pool is ultimately worth it if the sport/game becomes secondary to 'commercial footprints' growing bigger is open to question. How many Chinese citizens are walking around in a Wolves shirt is no measure of being a supporter. Some will be,some just might like the colour of the shirt and are proud they are owned by Chinese business.

Wolverhampton without WWFC would be a far worse place for sure. That shouldn't prevent seeing the wood for the trees though.
That, sir, is a fine post.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was jealous but I understood it.
It’s either this or the football authorities should have put in a wages ceiling In the nineties.
In the end this Premier League and most top European football does not look that different from 50 years ago.
By this I mean the clubs.
If you look at the clubs in the Premier League how many would you say should not be there based on history and fan base and would not have been there in 1955 and attracting the best players.
If anything it is smaller European clubs and South American clubs that have all their players transferred to Europe or England that are missing the football in the stands.

Last edited:

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My old man was a Salopian Wolves fan who went to matches, home and away, by himself in his teens. I'm a Salopian now living in London who went to my first Wolves match aged 4 in 1967. My 4 year old daughter, born in Wandsworth London, went to her first Wolves match (Flum in the Chump) before she was 1.

Did l go to Shrewsbury matches as a kid with my old man? Yes. Did l support them? No. Doubtless you would try to tell me that we should have gone to Wellington/Telford....

Do l intend my daughter to support the league team nearest to where she was born, which would be AFC Wimbledon? Or even worse the league team which she has lived nearest to for most of her life - that'll be Sarfend then. Like ****. The bigger danger is that my other half makes her a Chavski fan.

Oh, and l suggest that you talk to some of the London Wolves fans who have been going home and away since the mid-60s about whether they are real fans.....
The fact you went to Salop games is exactly my point. You still in a sense supported them by going to games. I went to Uni in Southampton, so whilst I lived there, I went to some games and still to this day I look out for their results. This is purely based on my affinity with Southampton as a place. If I went to Uni somewhere else, I wouldn't give a **** about them.

I've never suggested that those in London Wolves aren't real fans, however with the club's heyday being in the 50s etc. It's clear to see why we have so many fans across the country and Ireland who support Wolves from that age group.

Perhaps it's the equivalent to young Man City fans now sticking with the club (if they have a steep decline in the next 20 years). Only time will tell i guess, but I do still think it's important to support your local team, whether that is by being a fan of the club or going to games and helping financially. There's a reason that most clubs are named after the town/city they are from, as I've always looked at football clubs as a community body that represents the area.

My original comment was more about supporters who have no affiliation with the club whatsoever other than finding it a good club to support due to their recent success. It would be like me supporting Althetico Madrid. I've never been to Madrid, nor do I have any affliation with the club.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The main thing i always take out of this sort of thing is this. It may be a long term thing, it may even cost the club money, but first and foremost it only works if your in the premier league and fairly successful. So imo for our owners to enter into these sort of business links, they have to be fairly confident what direction we will be heading over the next five years.
I still remember the third season back in the premier league under MM, the only talk was of survival.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact you went to Salop games is exactly my point. You still in a sense supported them by going to games. I went to Uni in Southampton, so whilst I lived there, I went to some games and still to this day I look out for their results. This is purely based on my affinity with Southampton as a place. If I went to Uni somewhere else, I wouldn't give a **** about them.

I've never suggested that those in London Wolves aren't real fans, however with the club's heyday being in the 50s etc. It's clear to see why we have so many fans across the country and Ireland who support Wolves from that age group.

Perhaps it's the equivalent to young Man City fans now sticking with the club (if they have a steep decline in the next 20 years). Only time will tell i guess, but I do still think it's important to support your local team, whether that is by being a fan of the club or going to games and helping financially. There's a reason that most clubs are named after the town/city they are from, as I've always looked at football clubs as a community body that represents the area.

My original comment was more about supporters who have no affiliation with the club whatsoever other than finding it a good club to support due to their recent success. It would be like me supporting Althetico Madrid. I've never been to Madrid, nor do I have any affliation with the club.
Back in the 60/70s it was quite common for football fans not to travel to away games but to go to another local match. With pay at the gate you could do that. Wolves fans from Wolvo went to Walsall or even, God forbid nowadays, West Brom. I live in Islington and know some older Arsenal fans who used to go to Tottenham.

I was a student in Leicester and Birmingham. I am quite happy to say that l never went to Filbert Street, St Andrews or Villa Park once unless Wolves were there. I did my Master's project in Portsmouth and the same applied to Fratton Park.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not being a plastic is a state of mind, it's not knowledge or history or some other badge you got simply by being somewhere at a point in your life.

Being a proper fan is being there through thick and thin, never waivering. It's knowing to really, really appreciate the highs you have to be there for the lows.

Reaction score

Wonder how many fans would be inside Molineux on matchdays if all our fans from Telford, Wednesfield,Dudley, Stourbridge, Bilston, Halesowen, Walsall, Lye, Kidderminster etc etc all supported their local club?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always love these discussions about what makes a "true" fan we all support Wolves and want the best for them surely that is what matter not our post code?!

My old man is from the area and raised me to support Wolves...I myself have never lived near but I've been a season ticket holder for a good number of years now and travel a long way to support Wolves but because I'm not from the area makes me less of a fan? Sorry not having that..

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The main thing i always take out of this sort of thing is this. It may be a long term thing, it may even cost the club money, but first and foremost it only works if your in the premier league and fairly successful. So imo for our owners to enter into these sort of business links, they have to be fairly confident what direction we will be heading over the next five years.
I still remember the third season back in the premier league under MM, the only talk was of survival.
I think that is a good point. Occasionally some fan might ask the question about whether Fosun are still committed to the club. I'm not sure why, but sometimes it is asked. Deals like this show they are still invested in growing the club in all areas. With this, the Black Arrow FC partnership, e-sports, the fashion label, and the many partnerships they have in China show Wolves are in good hands. Not all of these ideas will work, but the seeds are being planted and hopefully in the coming years we will see the benefit. We are still a long way off the 'big six' commercially, but it is possible we are putting ourselves in a better long term position than other clubs such as Everton, Leeds, Southampton, etc.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What will **** me off more than anything is..When wolves finally get to the top.(And they will)and are competing in the champions league.
Pre seasons will most probably comprise of an Asian cup tournament or the likes.Where most of the Wolverhampton based fans will be priced out of attending.So these fans who have followed them hum and away all season will be replaced by the plastic fans who Fosun want on board to replace the true fans who ay got the money to OR time to watch em in far away places.I'm almost glad I'm 69 this year.My away season ticket is nearing retirement.Especially with health issues as well.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What will **** me off more than anything is..When wolves finally get to the top.(And they will)and are competing in the champions league.
Pre seasons will most probably comprise of an Asian cup tournament or the likes.Where most of the Wolverhampton based fans will be priced out of attending.So these fans who have followed them hum and away all season will be replaced by the plastic fans who Fosun want on board to replace the true fans who ay got the money to OR time to watch em in far away places.I'm almost glad I'm 69 this year.My away season ticket is nearing retirement.Especially with health issues as well.
Personally I'm truthfully not that fussed that plastics might get to go to meaningless pre-season tournaments half way around the world. I'd be far more worried if they pushed the loyal long-term fans out of meaningful games.

I do get that some other fabs who have regularly attended the pre-season stuff might feel differently.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder how many fans would be inside Molineux on matchdays if all our fans from Telford, Wednesfield,Dudley, Stourbridge, Bilston, Halesowen, Walsall, Lye, Kidderminster etc etc all supported their local club?
And I wonder how many fans we'd have at Molineux if all those from W'ton who support Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal all supported their local team.

Back
Top Bottom