Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves annual report and financial statements 2018/19

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not one bit of that article mentions the borrowing figure I've mentioned above, I understand the figures are better, and improved , but that borrowing.....sheesh

Almost every large company in the world has large borrowing figures and they mean absolutely nothing when you take into account that our assets are based on cost and not actual value.

Our Intangible assets are our players and they are easily worth more on the open market than what’s stated in our accounts.

In reality these accounts to the naked eye understate the position of strength we’re actually in.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the context of the frankly insane business of football finances, especially this week with the Man City farrago, that's pretty amazing. Interesting to see how much of a wage increase on that 53% has occurred since then, but it can't be THAT massive.

Also puts last summer into a bit of perspective. The idea we would throw £60-70m on Dias - that we had that kind of money, even spread over a period - was obviously nonsense in hindsight.

Can see another £30-40m this summer, more depending on European qualification, plus any additionals from player sales, if the right players are available. But no big, established stars; not our MO. Just hope we can secure two or three more in the 'raw, unpolished gem' category like Traore.

We have fantastic owners. Can't believe our luck, really, after everything that has gone before.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, doesn't half make you wonder how a club like West Ham - a catastrophic polar opposite with high wages and few saleable assets - could possibly survive relegation.

And how the utter living **** have Villa spent so much money? Have they literally spunked three years' worth of PL dolly in advance?

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The loans are purely for cashflow as we invested heavily in players before we could generate the cash internally to purchase them. I'm sure Fosun will continue to provide loans, or we will seek other finance, in the future when there is a cash shortfall. Nothing unusual about that.

D

Deleted member 5635

That's a very good point I think, with many implications. The elite transfer market remains highly inflated, especially when the restrictions of FFP are taken into account. Club owners cant just pile money in to enrich their squads. Logically it suggests that the market will break at some point soon, as teams have to move on players in order to replenish their squads. Wolves have done well with the Cavaleiro, Costa and Cutrone deals, if they are all followed through on. This plus a relatively lean squad hopefully means some room to manoeuvre in the summer.
Does that £50m possibly mean though(lets use £40m for simple purposes) that because of amortization you could possibly bring in 4 players for £40m each on 4 year contracts each meaning £10m per year?(if that's how it works? obviously wages have to be included as well)

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The loans form Fosun are irrelevant!

That borrowing is first of all interest free, so will just sit there, and second of all, will be ring fenced to be paid likely only on sale of club therefore, to be cleared by new owners or included within the sale price.

the figures are great. Shows were on our way to being self sustainable.

Next financial results should be even more fruitful.

No massive wage increases, Podence in, Cav, Costa and Cutrone out (£30m+) increased revenue from fashion ranges and megastores, increased kit sales, higher merchandise in general, bigger sponsorships and advertisements, EL football increased prize pot and TV revenue.

Turnover likely to be close to £225-250m add +£30m of player sales with same operating costs more or less profit will be close to £100m

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does that £50m possibly mean though(lets use £40m for simple purposes) that because of amortization you could possibly bring in 4 players for £40m each on 4 year contracts each meaning £10m per year?(if that's how it works? obviously wages have to be included as well)
In a simplified way, yes that's how it works. In reality, other things can affect the process, as with raised overheads due, for example, to hiring more middle management staff to deal with more complex demands, such as marketing and media, (as has happened at the club over the last year).

Remember too that the club has to have some margin to work with in case of unforseen expenses such as a new coach, heaven forbid, having to buy a couple of extra players for cover, etc. As long as Wolves compete in European competition then there is only 9m euros loss allowed, while it is 35m pounds if not. The extra income Wolves earn from Europe, however, cancels that out and does not require Fosun putting more equity into the club, (although I am sure they would if they felt it was necessary).

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The increasing value of our players aswell if we ever got into a pickle.

I mean Neto value will have doubled by the end of the season no doubt. Hopefully a few more of that ilk in the summer.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

So could someone summarise:

We have V amount of debt.

We made a profit of W in the 2019 report

Our estimated turn over in the next financial report should be X

Our estimated profit in the next financial year should be Y

We’ve got Z to spend on players in the next year without getting into FFP/Europa League trouble.

There you go, all on one thread and should keep people happily debating/arguing until the next transfer window opens. :D

R

reanswolf

Are our accounts excellent or worrying?
People who are meant to understand finances are saying contradictory things on this thread.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand very little about money and so will not comment.
Perhaps that is a good starting point for others on this thread...??;)
Well said. I expect 99% of posters on here know jack **** about business accounts but, as usual, they will all give their 'informed' view. If one of the Mixers starts his post by saying he is an accountant then he will have my full attention, otherwise it's just a load of waffle.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are our accounts excellent or worrying?
People who are meant to understand finances are saying contradictory things on this thread.
Excellent. (And for northnorfolkwolf's benefit, I'm an Accountant. I'll readily admit though, whilst I understand the basis of the Accounts submitted, I won't profess to be an expert on FFP and what these figures mean from an FFP point of view. I understand the basics but it's always very difficult to compare submitted accounts to FFP rules due to parts of accounts that are outside the scope of FFP but not shown separately within the figures)

Purely from an accounting point of view: -

We posted a profit in the year with a considerable improvement on the previous year. Our wages to income ratio is one of the lowest in the league and in-spite of the fact our debts rose overall the net liabilities (net amount of our assets less our liabilities) reduced from £62m to £40m which essentially means that whilst our debts rose, our assets rose by a greater amount meaning overall our balance sheet is stronger than it was 12 months previously.

Also when you consider that the assets are based on net book value (i.e. cost less amortisation to date over the lengths of the players contracts) is only stated as £102m compare this to what our squad would actually be worth in today's market and we're in a great position. as it means the reality is the net asset position of the company is much better than the balance sheet implies.

The majority of our debt is owed to Fosun who have injected cash in to the club to cover paying up front for players etc. and despite peoples concerns about their ongoing commitment recently this proves they've put £131m in to the holding company (W.W 1990 Ltd) up to 31 May 2019 with £57m of that being in the 2018/19 year (this doesn't include additional income received from them in way of sponsorship such as the £1m they paid for the naming rights of the training ground etc.) which they have stated they have no intention on recalling and are willing to continue to fund the club further where required.

They also appear to be charging no interest on on this loan unlike most owners in the league which further shows their commitment to the club as they'd be well within their rights to but haven't.

Liabilities of a company are always something to be wary of however a large increase doesn't point to any issues, especially when compared to the relative increase in both assets on the balance sheet and hugely improved P&L from last year.

For Fosun to inject cash in to the club they will always have to have a "loan" on the balance sheet as the accounts have to be put together within company law and for every debit (money in the bank) there's always a credit on the other side (money owed to Fosun). They will have consciously decided to inject this money and I see no reason for people to worry about them taking it back now, especially considering they've stated within the accounts when discussing cash flow forecasts that they prepared including some that cover worst case scenario, i.e relegation, its stated that "Fosun International Limited has indicated its intention to continue to make available such funds as are needed by the company, and that it does not intend to seek repayment of the amounts due at the balance sheet date, for the period covered by the forecasts."

All in all, these figures are much improved on last year and show exactly why Fosun threw everything they could at gaining promotion.

We are a club in a very good position both on and off the pitch.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Excellent. (And for northnorfolkwolf's benefit, I'm an Accountant. I'll readily admit though, whilst I understand the basis of the Accounts submitted, I won't profess to be an expert on FFP and what these figures mean from an FFP point of view. I understand the basics but it's always very difficult to compare submitted accounts to FFP rules due to parts of accounts that are outside the scope of FFP but not shown separately within the figures)

Purely from an accounting point of view: -

We posted a profit in the year with a considerable improvement on the previous year. Our wages to income ratio is one of the lowest in the league and in-spite of the fact our debts rose overall the net liabilities (net amount of our assets less our liabilities) reduced from £62m to £40m which essentially means that whilst our debts rose, our assets rose by a greater amount meaning overall our balance sheet is stronger than it was 12 months previously.

Also when you consider that the assets are based on net book value (i.e. cost less amortisation to date over the lengths of the players contracts) is only stated as £102m compare this to what our squad would actually be worth in today's market and we're in a great position. as it means the reality is the net asset position of the company is much better than the balance sheet implies.

The majority of our debt is owed to Fosun who have injected cash in to the club to cover paying up front for players etc. and despite peoples concerns about their ongoing commitment recently this proves they've put £131m in to the holding company (W.W 1990 Ltd) up to 31 May 2019 with £57m of that being in the 2018/19 year (this doesn't include additional income received from them in way of sponsorship such as the £1m they paid for the naming rights of the training ground etc.) which they have stated they have no intention on recalling and are willing to continue to fund the club further where required.

They also appear to be charging no interest on on this loan unlike most owners in the league which further shows their commitment to the club as they'd be well within their rights to but haven't.

Liabilities of a company are always something to be wary of however a large increase doesn't point to any issues, especially when compared to the relative increase in both assets on the balance sheet and hugely improved P&L from last year.

For Fosun to inject cash in to the club they will always have to have a "loan" on the balance sheet as the accounts have to be put together within company law and for every debit (money in the bank) there's always a credit on the other side (money owed to Fosun). They will have consciously decided to inject this money and I see no reason for people to worry about them taking it back now, especially considering they've stated within the accounts when discussing cash flow forecasts that they prepared including some that cover worst case scenario, i.e relegation, its stated that "Fosun International Limited has indicated its intention to continue to make available such funds as are needed by the company, and that it does not intend to seek repayment of the amounts due at the balance sheet date, for the period covered by the forecasts."

All in all, these figures are much improved on last year and show exactly why Fosun threw everything they could at gaining promotion.

We are a club in a very good position both on and off the pitch.
Excellent post which makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In reality the money owed to Fosun won't be an issue as they won't wish to wreck their main asset (the club) by bankrupting us or making sure we're relegated due to under-spending caused by paying them back. That money will be recouped if they ever sell the club.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Debts to Fosun, which is them putting money into wolves

Only a problem if Fosun call them in and why would they?

If Fosun called them in we would have to go and get a bank loan on less favorable terms but as you said why would they.

I’d encourage anyone to go and and look at the accounts of any large company and look at debt levels because the whole economy operates on borrowing. If you’re worried about wolves you should be far more worried about the UK as we owe trillions.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scary ..... we have borrowed £164million ?? which is payable within 12 months...have I read this correctly ? I assume this includes the two tranches of Macquarie money..... so when we get our PL payment and TV rights, that will have to go towards paying this off , and will still leave monies owing. Add to this the escalating salary bill due to contractual obligations , deduct season ticket revenue and we are in a big hole by the looks of things
My question is , where are the funds for new players ?? and to me, it looks like we need to sell in the summer ..... and I have to say, if I've read those figures correctly we are totally ****ed if we get relegated !
Yawn, the prophet of doom speaks

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't get the negativity nor the assumptions that we might spend a modest amount in the summer. That's a £10m operating profit despite spending a huge amount on players, wage bill is low to turnover. The value of the club will have shot up and more than balance out what we owe Fosun if they decided they wanted out, and regarding FFP, that £10m operating profit will be absolutely dwarfed by the figure you end up with when you take off all the exemptions.

We're in a great position

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don´t understand a thing about these accounts,despite me owning a biz of me own.

Some time ago,I did predict a slight profit for last season..and a bigger one for this season..so I guess I follow that far anyways.

Regarding FFP we are very fine if looking at Prem regulations.It is my understanding we are also dandy regarding UEFAs rules.

We get our big loss from promotion season out of the way..then it is up to Fosun how much we spends.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa,for example..will be interesting in the future.
Their FFP must be a mess by now.
They will probably have to sell Grealish in the summer if I get it correctly.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From Spiers broken down.

Wolves accounts for 2018/19 are out

Key figures (17/18 figure in brackets)
- Profit £19m (loss of £57m)
- Turnover £172m (£26m)
- Transfer fees £80m (£25m)
- Wages £80m (£44m)
- League cash £114m (£7m)

Borrowed £57m from Fosun, total borrowing now £131m. Spent £95m this season

looks bloody good to me.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Hilarious that the squad is valued at 102m when Traore would cover most of that on his own. Almost as funny as the fact that the people moaning about the debt are the same ones who moaned about lack of investment in the window.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone knows how much it would be worth to us to qualify for Champions League?

We will need additional investments for us to be able to reach CL,so it is perhaps an act of balance.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have already said they have no intention of calling in any repayments,plus they are interest free,also added they will invest further if needed but would like the club to be self sufficient as soon as possible
So on that basis we are indeed looking good,with what should be good profits this season
It also tells you why we didnt go overboard on transfers the last 2 windows,we needed a couple of sets of good figures to offset the huge loss in our Championship season,thats done now and the purse strings can be loosened slightly
Dont expect a huge increase in spending,but we could see our record broken easily this summer

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a look at the accounts at Companies House - turnover from Champs to Prem is amazing:
Gate receipts 7mil to 11 mil
Sponsorship and advertising 2 mil to 15 mil
Broadcasting revenue 1mil to 18 mil
Commercial 6 mil to 10 mil - but all this is small beer when you see
Football league to Premier Lg distributions 6 mil to 114 mil !
Total turnover risen from 26 mil to 172 mil!!!!!!
To think we've caught up in the league in 2 seasons with the likes of Utd, Spurs and Arsenal who have been turning over all this and much more for years now is incredible.
Onwards and upwards!

Back
Top Bottom