Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves and Ipswich

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the demise of Ipswich , I can’t help thinking they are a glance in to what would have happened to us without Fosun.
With them taking on our ex managers , they seem to have been fishing in the same waters , for coaching and playing staff.
Wolves under Morgan and perhaps the latter days of SJH seem to be heading that way .
The fact Norwich took on , then quickly rejected, Moxey also seems confirm our sleepy , backwater culture , leading to a continual decline.
Where the Premier league would be an ever fading reality and Division One a reality.
Perhaps Dean Saunders may even turn up in East Anglia one day !

Last edited:

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t wish Lambert on anyone. To think some fans wanted him to stay beggars belief.

You are correct though, without fosun we would just be another Ipswich, Sheff Weds, Cardiff, Forest...

How depressing!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are sooooooooo lucky that Fosun chose us......didn’t have to.

Compared to our first two seasons back, we’re not doing great but it’s not a TRAIN WRECK either. I’m delighted and grateful for all we have now.

Sometimes I can’t understand the dissatisfaction that many posters express on here.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article about Ipswich on the BBC football web page. What is of note is the current manager is in his usual defensive stance of " It is not my fault it is the 12 years of mismanagement that is too blame before I got here ! " Incredible that Scotland has produced managers of the quality of Fergie, Jock Stein, Bill Shankly and Matt Busby but typical to how our luck runs Wolves have had two deluded ego maniacs in McGhee and Lambert !

It does not seem that long ago ( yet incredibly it is over 40 years now ) since Ipswich had a team with quality players like Mick Mills, George Burley, Kevin Beattie, Terry Butcher, Russell Osman, Eric Gates, Paul Mariner, John Wark and those two fantastic Dutch midfield masters Franz Thijssen and Arnold Muhren. They won the UEFA Cup in 1981 and I remember that they were a lovely footballing side to watch. I particularly enjoyed watching them wallop Albion 3-1 in the 1978 FA Cup Semi Final before beating Arsenal in the final, the country was awash with neutrals supporting Ipswich that cup final Saturday !

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No manager probably in the last 3 or 4 years had a chance there. I always had a suspicion Mick got out at the right time. He's been around football long enough to know when a club is on its way out. They were rumoured to have a wage budget lower than a league one club the year they got relegated from the championship.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article about Ipswich on the BBC football web page. What is of note is the current manager is in his usual defensive stance of " It is not my fault it is the 12 years of mismanagement that is too blame before I got here ! " Incredible that Scotland has produced managers of the quality of Fergie, Jock Stein, Bill Shankly and Matt Busby but typical to how our luck runs Wolves have had two deluded ego maniacs in McGhee and Lambert !

It does not seem that long ago ( yet incredibly it is over 40 years now ) since Ipswich had a team with quality players like Mick Mills, George Burley, Kevin Beattie, Terry Butcher, Russell Osman, Eric Gates, Paul Mariner, John Wark and those two fantastic Dutch midfield masters Franz Thijssen and Arnold Muhren. They won the UEFA Cup in 1981 and I remember that they were a lovely footballing side to watch. I particularly enjoyed watching them wallop Albion 3-1 in the 1978 FA Cup Semi Final before beating Arsenal in the final, the country was awash with neutrals supporting Ipswich that cup final Saturday !
we also had andy beattie after sir stan and he took us down

sorry about the double post

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes not a bad thing to look back and just see how far we have come not just on the pitch but off it as well in such a short period of time.

Fosun have done a great job so far but still so much to look forward to imo!

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No manager probably in the last 3 or 4 years had a chance there. I always had a suspicion Mick got out at the right time. He's been around football long enough to know when a club is on its way out. They were rumoured to have a wage budget lower than a league one club the year they got relegated from the championship.
Mick worked with **** all at Ipswich. He did a brilliant job, they were in a right state all the time he was there, spent buttons and kept them comfortable in the championship.
Fans got fed up, Mick went, and to the surprise of no one got relegated.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

I was actually there .I had 2 tickets off Barry Powell

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The leagues are littered with teams like Ipswich. Big clubs like Forest, Sheff Wed and Sunderland to name a few. Makes you even more grateful that Fosun chose to buy us.
You make it sound as though we've been in the top tier for years? 7 years in the Prem era since 1992 is hardly spectacular. We have been Ipswich, Forest, Wednesday and Sunderland over the past 40 years!

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You make it sound as though we've been in the top tier for years? 7 years in the Prem era since 1992 is hardly spectacular. We have been Ipswich, Forest, Wednesday and Sunderland over the past 40 years!
Yes we have but the point I was making is that we could still be them were it not for Fosun.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It does not seem that long ago ( yet incredibly it is over 40 years now ) since Ipswich had a team with quality players like Mick Mills, George Burley, Kevin Beattie, Terry Butcher, Russell Osman

I quite like him on 'Pointless' too....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick worked with **** all at Ipswich. He did a brilliant job, they were in a right state all the time he was there, spent buttons and kept them comfortable in the championship.
Micks trajectory has been down since leaving us. . But Wolves were going the same way as Ipswich And that is why we had the same managers and in that sequence .

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit unfair on Beattie, who was appointed as a caretaker manager and ended up staying for the season. We were already rock bottom when he took over, with a record of won 1, drawn 1 lost 6.
yes he was supposed to have been some sort of "flying doctor"I still think stan would have got us out of trouble though.
hated it when a liverpool reserve team beat us in the last game of the season with our fans still singing"we`ll support you evermore"

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are sooooooooo lucky that Fosun chose us......didn’t have to.

Compared to our first two seasons back, we’re not doing great but it’s not a TRAIN WRECK either. I’m delighted and grateful for all we have now.

Sometimes I can’t understand the dissatisfaction that many posters express on here.
Of course we as Wolves fans will be grateful to Fosun, but equally.. that does`nt mean posters cant vent at the mainly **** performances this season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we as Wolves fans will be grateful to Fosun, but equally.. that does`nt mean posters cant vent at the mainly **** performances this season.
I see your point but there’s venting and then there’s ingratitude.
It’s an individual thing I guess....where is the line between reasonable criticism and harsh, unfair negativity?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see your point but there’s venting and then there’s ingratitude.
It’s an individual thing I guess....where is the line between reasonable criticism and harsh, unfair negativity?
1 win in 12 . Two goals from open play in 2 months . It wasn’t great . Fans don’t like it .

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There certainly are a lot of parallels between us and Ipswich Town FC. Decent history but nothing to write home about for yonks. We're not yet out of the woods ourselves but Fosun give us more than a fighting chance of re-establishing ourselves as a force in English football. Whether we ever reach the heady heights of the 1950s, or even the decent eras that were the 1930s and 1970s remains to be seen. As for Ipswich, they'll get nowhere with Lamberk. That much I do know. A crying shame for a club that had such illustrious managers as Sir Bobby Robson and the main man himself, Sir Alf, that they have a clown in charge of them now.

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Micks trajectory has been down since leaving us. . But Wolves were going the same way as Ipswich And that is why we had the same managers and in that sequence .
Micks trajectory since leaving us has been to keep a potless Ipswich in the championship comfortably for several years (finished in the playoffs when everyone was saying how great jackett was for coming 7th), doing well with a limited Ireland at international level, nice, well paid holiday in Cyprus and now turning Cardiff round.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert must be one hell of an interviewee. Since Norwich, I don't think he's done a vaguely good job anywhere.

To think, over 70% of fans wanted him to stay in a poll the E&S did in 2017.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert must be one hell of an interviewee. Since Norwich, I don't think he's done a vaguely good job anywhere.

To think, over 70% of fans wanted him to stay in a poll the E&S did in 2017.
you can fool some of the people some of the time
you can fool all of the people some of the time
but you can`t fool all of the people all of the time

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t wish Lambert on anyone. To think some fans wanted him to stay

I was admittedly for keeping Lambert that summer, in the minority, because I was already skeptical of Fosun's choices after sacking Jackett, hiring Zenga, sacking Zenga, hiring Lamberg... I wasnt so sure his replacement would be any better and just wanted to stabilise and see what the players purchased by Fosun could do under one manager.

Boy was I wrong :)

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They would have got relegated if he stayed because they had nothing left to work with. I was saying exactly the same thing when it was happening at the time. He isn't stupid, that's why he got out. I'm no fan of Lambert but you can't really even blame him for their demise. You simply can't keep losing your better players and replacing them on a league two budget. Had a bit of inside information about them and I'm actually amazed they didn't drop down like we did. They are a mess.

D

Deleted member 5276

Think you are being unfair on McGhee. He did a lot of work that a lot of supporters would never see in and around Wolverhampton representing our club. He was touted as the next big and upcoming manager but suffered when key injuries to players happened.

That Ipswich team was fantastic and I have always had a soft spot for them ever since I saw them win the FA Cup with Roger Osborne's superb goal. Kevin Beattie was a fantastic player as was Burley, Whymark, Woods and all of the players you mentioned. Behind them all was a hard spine with Cooper, Butcher, Hunter and Talbot.

I'm sad to see where they are now to be perfectly honest. Their fans deserve better.

Last edited by a moderator:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you are being unfair on McGhee. He did a lot of work that a lot of supporters would never see in and around Wolverhampton representing our club. He was touted as the next big and upcoming manager but suffered when key injuries to players happened.

That Ipswich team was fantastic and I have always had a soft spot for them ever since I saw them win the FA Cup with Roger Osborne's superb goal. Kevin Beattie was a fantastic player as was Burley, Whymark, Woods and all of the players you mentioned. Behind them all was a hard spine with Cooper, Butcher, Hunter and Talbot.

I'm sad to see where they are now to be perfectly honest. Their fans deserve better.
Trevor Whymark played for the ( then NASL, ), Vancouver Whitecaps and led us to victory to be NASL winners in ‘79 at Soccer Bowl final in NYC. Great player. Glued to the telly......gawd.....great time.

GK1England Phil Parkes
D7Canada Buzz Parsons
Substituted off
69:42'
D4England John Craven (c)
D6England Roger Kenyon
D5Canada Bob Lenarduzzi
M2England Ray Lewington
M23England Alan Ball
M21England Carl Valentine
F11England Kevin Hector
F9England Trevor Whymark
F20Scotland Willie Johnston
Substitutes:
M10Canada Bob Bolitho
Substituted in
69:42'
GK22Zimbabwe Rhodesia Bruce Grobbelaar
D17England Peter Daniel
M8England Jon Sammels
Manager:
England Tony Waiters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8913

Ipswich? I have a memory of watching them win 3-2 against Chelsea at Stamford bridge....as I recall Ipswich were much higher in the table and led by Colin Viljeon.That was about 50 years ago. I also vaguely remember Wolves bought Derek “ chopper” Jefferson from Ipswich. I always believed that was to prevent him hurting Dave Wagstaffe( could think of no other reason at the time)

Last edited by a moderator:

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quick google reveals that 49 clubs have played in the Prem. A quick count I reckon we are equal or better than 21 of them. Pretty good in my book. There you go, cheer up.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, up until arguably the fosun era, we have been the very definition of championship team for pretty much 30 years. Even when we had the odd year out of it, our team was still broadly championship standard.

For fans my age, c.40, up until we kicked off at home to Everton in our first PL game under Nuno, we had never seen Wolves truly look like a top flight team. That’s the main reason the last few years have been so special, every single game we have gone into we have fancied our chances, even the likes of Man City away. Conversely, it’s why some performances this year have felt so disappointing.

Either way, it’s good to be where we are and not where we were.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ipswich can not be compared like-for-like to us.

Ipswich.

Elected to the FL 1938.

Champions 1 1962
RU 2 1981/2.

FA Cup 1 1978 1

UEFA Cup 1 1981

Total 'top' prizes. 3

European Champions campaigns 1 1963.

So although they had some fine sides their 'success' didn't start until 1938 and apart from the nineteen years 1962-1981 their record is one of a footballing backwater.

WWFC.

Original member of the FL 1888.

Champions 3 1953 1958 1959
RU 5 1938 1939 1950 1955 1960

FA Cups 4 1893 1908 1949 1960
FA Cup RU 4 1889 1896 1921 1939

League Cup 2 1974 1980.

UEFA Cup RU 1 1972

Total 'top' prizes 10.

1954 beat Honved (amongst others) which became the catalyst for a European league. Adding another significant contribution to the development of English and European football as it had in 1888 as original members of a professional football league.

European Champions campaigns 2 1959 1960. One of the first British clubs to compete in it.

That we were in danger of becoming a footballing backwater is a valid scenario. A situation made more disgraceful when our history and 'wealth' in the game is considered. This is another argument for another time.

There is no comparison to be had between Ipswich and WWFC though.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ipswich can not be compared like-for-like to us.

Ipswich.

Elected to the FL 1938.

Champions 1 1962
RU 2 1981/2.

FA Cup 1 1978 1

UEFA Cup 1 1981

Total 'top' prizes. 3

European Champions campaigns 1 1963.

So although they had some fine sides their 'success' didn't start until 1938 and apart from the nineteen years 1962-1981 their record is one of a footballing backwater.

WWFC.

Original member of the FL 1888.

Champions 3 1953 1958 1959
RU 5 1938 1939 1950 1955 1960

FA Cups 4 1893 1908 1949 1960
FA Cup RU 4 1889 1896 1921 1939

League Cup 2 1974 1980.

UEFA Cup RU 1 1972

Total 'top' prizes 10.

1954 beat Honved (amongst others) which became the catalyst for a European league. Adding another significant contribution to the development of English and European football as it had in 1888 as original members of a professional football league.

European Champions campaigns 2 1959 1960. One of the first British clubs to compete in it.

That we were in danger of becoming a footballing backwater is a valid scenario. A situation made more disgraceful when our history and 'wealth' in the game is considered. This is another argument for another time.

There is no comparison to be had between Ipswich and WWFC though.
This!

And all that before Fosun.

Don't get me wrong I'm loving these current times (even this season and understand the point we should be extremely happy with where we are at the moment when put into context) BUT hate this suggestion (after pedalled by people who paid no attention till 2018) that somehow Wolves were some back water tin pot club until Fosun took over.

Wolverhampton Wanderers was a great football club long before Fosun arrived and it'll be a great football club long after they've gone.

Back
Top Bottom