Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves-Albion verdict - Why are we so soft? Men against boys

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder

Where are all those posters from last season that wanted the Black Country Derby back?

Right here. I didn't lose this match for wolves though lmao not sure why you'd want to blame us for wanting revenge.

Silly me though for thinking a Chinese owned club with Portuguese coaches and almost totally foreign players would give a damn about the BCD. Boly having a big laugh with Sam.. thats on me for thinking they'd give a ****.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great assessment Dave.

I think tody just confirmed what weknow in that Coady isnt strong enough in a back 4, Saiss aint no left back, Mouts is sadly past it and Donk has limitations in quality, whilst up front is just lightweight.

Thats a lot of problems but at minimum we need a quality centre back, one or two quality CMs, and a striker.
Its the 1st team that needs strengthening NOT the Under23s so any money should go to that.

What a shame we have just allowed things to drift so badly.
So much of this, injuries aside, is totally self-inflicted
Saiss the hero?
Donk the first name on the team sheet
Neto generally recognised as a key player at 20 and watched by many top club
Neves at 23 a greatly improved player of the last few games
Traore back on form
Silva an 18 year old getting two goals in Prem in debut season
Podance the scourge of Tottenham

We are in a better position looking in but the team needs to know we have faith in them.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BBC Sports report includes......

If, for instance, Wolves finished 15th this season, it would be an outcome they have only bettered three times since they were relegated in 1976. Evidently though, spending and improvement under Nuno has raised expectations.

They certainly made enough chances to beat West Brom - and had a staggering 23 shots - but without Jimenez, there was no consistent threat. Fabio Silva took his goal well, opening his body up and sending a precise finish into the far corner from Boly's back-heeled pass. But when crosses come into the box, he does not routinely attack them as Jimenez would.

The link with our form dipping markedly (apart from beating Arsenal the game he got injured) is worrying. No team should be so reliant on one man. Also interesting is their observation about Silva. Would it hurt pairing Silva with Cutrone, one to attack the ball the other to poach?
Common Sense from the BBC I might have to start reading that instead

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, Nuno must realise he has got things wrong, but hope he turns it round.
In a normal business you would say take a few weeks off we know we asked too much and you have given more than we expect.

recharge refresh and come back ready for you can do when the sun is out.
You would throw in some support and coaching

But in football teenagers and man babies shout you out as form of support

Gold Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Deflating that was today but had a bad feeling we would lose.... although at half time thought we would go on to a win with some renewed confidence in the squad. How wrong could I have been!

Hard to summarise quite what is wrong currently. Yes, Jimenez's absence is massive, but there are greater problems. Goal scoring wise we have been steady recently, 2 today for example, 3 against Brighton, scored against Everton...

Our main issue is defence and the midfield shape. That compact shape we had with decent defensive cover from the wings has totally gone. The defensive work Jota used to get through is missed (we always played far better as a unit with him) and Jimenez's general contribution towards play of course.

I will start with Coady - a great leader and in a back 3 is a good sweeper. However, if we are to persist with 4 at the back then he is not the solution. Even back in the Championship season, he was prone to being caught on the turn by strikers and physically outfought. It is therefore no surprise that in a back 2 that incidents like today occur. Nuno made the right call to bring him off, only problem was that the damage was already done.

Separately whilst I enjoy Semedo's attacking threat, I am afraid his defensive deficiencies are costing us. He affords too much space to attackers and is caught out. He could learn a lot from Jonny on how to effectively balance his attacking and defensive play. To be honest I still do not understand his purchase. Hoever from what I have seen is solid (e.g. Manchester United game) and I have always considered Jonny as a great future option for our RWB.

Moutinho whilst he has been incredible for us I am afraid is just not bringing enough impact for us. He has in fact only offered 2 goals in 93 Prem appearances and only 14 assists. He has provided no assists this season...no wonder we have creative issues. He has a role as a sub for sure and occasional rotation, but not a main starter.

Neves is our best midfielder by a mile, Dendoncker is erratic and for nearly two seasons now we have all been crying out for that dynamic box to box creative/enforcer midfielder. Yet, here we are in 2021 still lacking that. Ultimately I believe that is what has cost us positions last season and we will not progress until it is resolved. Ironically someone like N'Diaye would be useful right now.

Boly on his day is the pick of the defenders, although I was to be honest annoyed at the attitude in engaging with Allardyce at the end, hardly demonstrates concern with our current predicament or the derby loss. We have lacked defensive stability since Bennett fell out of favour and whilst Bennett was not perfect, that back 3 was strong. Saiss is really a stand in and I still think a move back to midfield may be more effective right now.

This post has gone on long enough but we need to hope Nuno either reverts back to a back 3, or, reinstates Kilman to assist in that back four. Ideally I would prefer Hoever in there, but doubt that will happen....

We need to arrest this slide quickly otherwise as we all know we could sleepwalk into trouble. I keep faith in Nuno as he has a lot of credit in the bank, but we need something soon from him to solve this situation. Ideally we need Jonny back sooner rather than later and Podence, and Moutinho needs dropping. I would like to see Vitinha given a go, cannot get much worse! I should also be glad to see Marcal back, we are stronger with him, although his injury record is really frustrating.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Just been talking to my Albion mate for 3 hours (not all about the game). Here’s his verdict.

We’re we’re robbed 2 soft pens that only Liverpool or united get.

he’s really peed off that Sam might keep his job.

we were the better team, but we’re out muscles because we played too many kids

Neto and Traore frightening if we could get people in the box.

Coady is a nightmare.

silva looked really dangerous but too young for main striker.

generally both teams utterly crap.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been talking to my Albion mate for 3 hours (not all about the game). Here’s his verdict.

We’re we’re robbed 2 soft pens that only Liverpool or united get.

he’s really peed off that Sam might keep his job.

we were the better team, but we’re out muscles because we played too many kids

Neto and Traore frightening if we could get people in the box.

Coady is a nightmare.

silva looked really dangerous but too young for main striker.

generally both teams utterly crap.
He is tight on most counts.

hopefully Sam with achieve that elusive goal that retires Albion and him

D

Deleted member 4152

Right here. I didn't lose this match for wolves though lmao not sure why you'd want to blame us for wanting revenge.

Silly me though for thinking a Chinese owned club with Portuguese coaches and almost totally foreign players would give a damn about the BCD. Boly having a big laugh with Sam.. thats on me for thinking they'd give a ****.
This was bound to happen.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok I will say it because I am well p****d off and trying to calm down!

Yes, he would cost a fair bit in wages but someone like Diego Costa playing for us, especially today, would make all the difference! Seyi Ajayi and Kyle Bartley, no disrespect , but we should have taken you to the cleaners!!!

It is obvious we are too soft and need someone who can put himself about a bit and at least get on the end of crosses into the box. Neto and Traore did deliver into the box but we had no cutting edge which we obviously need.

We are becoming a powder puff team IMO and need someone with a bit of fight. We are missing our injured talisman striker so much and it is costing us. We have been totally inept since Raul was injured.

I am getting a bit fed up with some of the contradictory statements coming from the club in the transfer window but IMO it is obvious we need someone like Costa in our squad!

I’m going to bed in a minute and hope I can sleep off the awful mood I am in!

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to change our mentality - 1st goal, Boly doesn't dive in no pen. 2nd goal, we organise ourselves correctly and neves isn't going in for a header hes not winning less chance of conceding 3rd goal, its unfortunate but a silly pen to give away.

After too many games we are saying if only....if only villa didn't get a pen, if only Newcastle didn't get an equaliser, if only united didn't get a goal in the last minute. Its no longer an odd occurrence, and the sooner we realise we need to be doing more ourselves to win points the better.
This in spades!!!! Could have done with you on another thread lol

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to say I don't think it was men against boys. Maybe in 2006, when we were fielding a raw Keogh, Kightly, Potter and Stephen Ward against their PL side you could use that tag, but not now.

We were as good, if not well superior than them in general play, but we were absolutely hopeless at defending our box - as were they. But from our bad defensive play we presented them with penalties and freed from anyone to throw their body in the way, you have a much better chance of scoring from the situation than our chances that came from their bad defensive play. Every corner or ball into the centre of the area at both ends caused absolute havoc.

It was probably a very entertaining match for a neutral but as an exhibit of quality from a team with our investment, experience and coaching, it was a total mess all in all.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't comment yesterday as immediately after the match, we had a huge storm which we thought was armageddon. It seemed rather apt after what I witnessed yesterday afternoon.
WBA simply wanted it more than Wolves. Two poor sides who couldn't defend for toffee. Only Albion's second win of the season and the first under FS was always going to come at Wolves. It's what we do for teams that are on poor runs.
I have no problems with the Albion penalties, but thought we should have had one when Gibbs caught the ball in the area, however this is not why we lost. We were simply not good enough and are definitely in a relegation battle.

Ratings;

Rui - 6 - Nowhere near either penalty nor the headed goal. Didn't expect him to save the penos, but getting close would have been helpful.
Saiss - 5 - Never a left back in a month of Sundays.
Coady - 5 - A poor day at the office culminated in a penalty against him and a humiliating withdrawal.
Boly - 5 - The excitement of seeing him back quickly disappeared. Beaten in the air for the second goal as well.
Semedo - 6 - Decent going forwards.
Moutinho - 5 - Poor game and was schooled by Pereira.
Neves - 6 - Poor passing game, but worked hard.
Dendoncker - 4 - Got into the box on a couple of occasions, but hardly a threat. Offered little in midfield.
Neto - 6 - A couple of trademark runs.
Silva - 6 - Much better in the first half and took his goal well. Anonymous after HT.
Traore - 6.5 - Had Gibbs on toast, but no one in the box to cross to. Our MotM, but who cares!

Subs;

Ait-Nouri - 6 - Did OK.
MGW - 5 - Offered nothing when he came on
Cutrone - 4 - Fluffed his big moment.

R

reanswolf

Well, its done and dusted, and the morning after I feel I can give a more balanced overview now. I'm not a betting man but always find odds of an Albion win too good to turn down considering we have only beat them twice in 20 years, so a £50 bet at 13-2 has given me £375. Small consolation for what was ultimately a fairly insipid, but all-too-predictable defeat. I think I am gonna join those hating Villa instead, as beating Albion just seems beyond us as a club. Albion were not dirty or diving at all, they gave a professional, honest, and incredibly hard-working performance and for that alone, you can see why neutrals wanted them to win. You just got the feeling that it meant so much more to the Albion players, that may seem harsh, but Nuno nor the Wolves players have any real understanding of the depth of feeling here, whereas big Sam..............

Fragile at the back, immobile in midfield, powder puff in attack, we have allowed multiple issues to evolve, and although Albion didn't actually do much, their moments of attack were consequently more effective and incisive than ours. They were robbed of 3 key players in Johnstone, Phillips, and Diagana, so that balanced out the fact we are still missing Jimenez, Jonny, Marcal, Podence.

Our attacks down the wing with Neto and Traore were certainly good, with Semedo also prompting aggressively. That is the one good area of play that was pleasing. Traore especially caused endless issues and he must be thinking what it would be like at a club where people in attack can win headers or drive into the box from midfield. His abilities here are rarely taken advantage of, which is incredibly frustrating when you have such a unique talent. There was one low cross that was screaming for someone to charge in, but it missed Fabio and Donk was just strolling in at slow pace.

The first penalty was clearly outside the box, so I just don't understand VAR there. You can bet your bottom dollar if it had been deemed to be at a match of importance, for example Liverpool v Man Utd today, VAR would have overturned that. But what a sloppy challenge from big Willy. No excuse for it. Albion should have gone 2-0 up to be fair, but Rui saved well. Then came our deserved Traore-inspired mini-comeback. First Fabio showed great strength to shield the ball and calmly turn it in, followed by Boly side-footing after a mess in the Albion box.

Then came half-time, me and my lad were saying we don't feel comfortable with things, but we certainly didnt expect the calamative defending that followed. Actually, the first one was all too predictable. The Bennies may lack mobility but they are a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters aerially on long throws, and we know just how fragile we are, and in came the throw, and boing-boing off the top of 2 heads and it looped into the back of the net. All so predictable and even if we had gone further ahead, you always felt that in those isolated moments of throw-ins and corners, they could get a goal against our salmon-leaping defenders who still failed to get anywhere near their giants. Minutes later, Coads committed a cardinal sin and penalty given. Big Sam has obviously highlighted his individual frailty because he was again spun with ease on a 1 v 1, and another soft penalty was given by the happy referee, though this one probably was a penalty.

Such games sometimes produce defining moments, and for Coady it was one - cruelly hauled off after serving us so well. But Nuno made the decision to change him from world-class sweeper in a back 5, to championship standard centre-back in a back 4. Its not rocket science. So now we know it, we do not have the players to play a back 4 (most of us knew this anyway). Boly, Jonny, possibly Semedo, and a new quality bigger centre-back are required next season, if we stay up. Saiss is harshly excluded in my summary here, but again, despite performing admirably this season, we must upgrade. That new centre-back needn't come from Portugal nor the Mendes stable. Infact with central defenders, perhaps English players are better.

These 2 soft goals shell-shocked us, and although we had a few chances, we never really troubled their keeper and they even played out the last 4 minutes with relative ease. It was never backs against the wall for them, which won't surprise many Wolves fans because we simply don't have the midfield capable of a high-press.

Which brings me onto that unit. Midfield. Each individually good players, as a unit there are severe limitations. Very sadly, Moutinho is really showing his age as a 34-year old, becoming increasingly ineffective, especially against the more physical, robust sides like Albion. He just gets brushed aside, and if Otassowie had been fit he would have been ideal. Albion marked the strangely-ineffective Neves out of the game, and after an early burst from Dendoncker where he continued his Everton form of putting his boots on the wrong feet, he too became less and less prominant to the point of anonymity. No questioning his attitude, he is a great lad, but box-to-box is not his forte for Belgium, he just sweeps up, and that is what he should be doing for us. The much-pushed theory that his % win rate means he is such a key player this season is a bit of fallacy, let me put it this way - without naming the two players, if prior to yesterday, one of our 3 midfielders had played Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea (1st half only), Arsenal, Palace, Villa, Newcastle, Leeds, Fulham, Sheff Utd (2.5 tough games out of 10 against top opposition) and also only 2.5 games out of 10 without Raul, whilst another had played in games against Man City, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, West Ham, Newcastle, Palace, Burnley, Brighton (6 out of 13 games against top opposition) and 6 of his 13 games without Raul, which one would have the best % win rate? ...........Its really not rocket science to work out why one has a better rate than the other is it. It does highlight the danger of statistics though. Previous seasons, their % win rates were virtually identical. Again, I want to highlight this because we are in danger of over-emphasising Donk's effect. But that is not to slaughter him either, but his stats, when examined properly, do not reveal him as some sort of midfield saviour, though his presence physically in the middle is undoubtedly something we cannot remove. He is a 'steady-eddy', wrongly over-promoted by a few miss-led supporters on here. Bottom line is, alongside a better centre-back, we really must buy a more mobile, more attacking central midfielder to replace Mouts who is not going to be able to continue much longer. This should have been done in the brief summer window in many people's view after the Seville embarrassment display. Easier said than done though. If we play a midfield 3 still next season, Donk will be a valuable defensive CM alongside Neves and that new player most of us have all been screaming out for. Vitinha has great potential but is not currently the answer and if money is now short, we must prioritise our transfers far more effectively and not fritter it away fancifully on the likes of Vitinha and Fabio Silva, who may indeed be good players one day, but by then we will be back in the Championship and they will be playing for Porto or Sporting.

Which brings us onto attackers. Fabio actually put himself about far better yesterday and his goal was a treasure. But he is still fairly immobile and no threat in the air, and so many of us feel that it is a big mistake to rely on Fabio and the recalled Cutrone to keep us up this season.

The most worrying thing about this injury-struck but partially self-orchestrated decline, is that key players will now undoubtedly ask to leave in the summer......I am talking about Neves, Traore, Boly (who judging by his smile at the end yesterday doesn't really care much anyway), maybe Neto, maybe Jonny, maybe the increasingly static and ineffective Patricio, and of course our dear Raul Jimenez. These top players will not wish to remain here I am sad to say. Who can blame them? Unless there is some sort of dramatic improvement.

The key thing is of course now, is to stay up. It may seem overly-panicky but believe me we are getting closer to the bottom, and Big Sam will use this win to propel Albion into a run. Some Wolves fans bang on about our long-term project, but they are watching it disintergrate in front of their very own eyes. I said in the summer, once decline starts it is hard to turn around. It is like turning the Titanic in the cut. Transition is for pre-seasons and summer trips abroad, not the season itself. Of course, there was no break really, this time round.

But, on the positive side of a really bad negative, hopefully, with fans back next year, and hopefully with a regenerated Nuno, we can move forward again. Though it is still baffling how and why we have self-destructed. Nuno has to take some blame for allowing this and not seeing where we are in need of strengthening. Injuries have been cruel to us too. But we must stick together. Although this game came at the worst possible time for us (in the context of the last 3 seasons), hopefully this dreadful Albion result will at least have clarified a few things beyond doubt: -

* that we do not have the players to play a back four.
* that midfield needs upgrading badly.
* that our attack is powder-puff and creates no aerial threat at all.
* that we are simply too lightweight against the more physical teams.

Onto Chorley now, lets hope that we can at least win there. The players are probably as disillusioned as we are right now, equally baffled why we haven't brought in a striker and are relying on kids up front, and by the obvious frailties the change of system has created. Equally worrying, judging by Fosun's current inaction, is that they too may be somewhat disillusioned by the way money has been spent, but that is pure conjecture on my behalf, and their total inaction to the slump in results in this transfer window may well be more to do with the political situation.

One thing though.............its not the fans fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5340

Having been a fan for over forty years, this current feeling I have, now we are truly in free fall, is oh so familiar. Unless we revert to three at the back I just don't see us putting the breaks on. As to where the next points come from? .... Gutted. Not so much at yesterday's result, but as to where we are and to where we appear to be drifting towards.

R

reanswolf

Having been a fan for over forty years, this current feeling I have, now we are truly in free fall, is oh so familiar. Unless we revert to three at the back I just don't see us putting the breaks on. As to where the next points come from? .... Gutted. Not so much at yesterday's result, but as to where we are and to where we appear to be drifting towards.
The worst thing is, no one at the club seems to acknowledge it.
Its actually frightening.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great summary, although I'm probably on slightly more positive I think.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good review

We started the game slow again defensive errors are costing us I would put dendoncker in defence to rectify this! Coady one of the worst performances from him. Again I thought Semedo had a quiet game. Boly was alright as was Saiss but they looked baffled and looked like they didn’t understand the game plan. This 4 at the back has to stop revert to what we know try again after a proper pre season and better players. Moutinho and Neves looked shot they offered nothing. Silva was probably our man of the match he gave his all but looked lost second half. He needs to be bought off on the hour I would say. Cutrone had an amazing chance to equalise but hit it too hard or tried to hard that was the chance to level it. All in all Wolves was poor very fragile at the moment confidence is low and the Boly joke at the end with big Sam was sickening. Credit to albion they never gave up and had two penalties one which was contentious by my viewing (the first one). To concede another goal from a header is something that needs to be worked on maybe bring Kilman back into the defence also and move Saiss into the midfield with Neves.

Personally I would drop Moutinho he looks knackered.

If we are going to kick on and get these 6 wins something has to change. We look a lost cause at the moment.

The fact albion did us makes it even worse but we must move forward quickly and nuno needs to give his head a wobble if he is suffering like we think then he needs to resign or take a sabbatical for a few months. I am genuinely concerned about our form and nuno. I am hoping we pick up very soon before he does either get sacked or walks the plank.

North Bank

Reaction score
My wife doesn’t particularly like football but has loved watching Wolves with me since Nuno. So after the game yesterday I simply told her ‘this is what it used to be like’ and that is probably the best way to sum up the last couple of months. Things haven’t gone our way, sometimes our own fault and other times completely out of our control. At the moment it is frustrating to watch but it has been a lot, a lot worse.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I basically agrees with the starter of this thread.
I think we have no option than go back to 3 at the back supported by 2 wingbacks.
I still don´t think we are in a relegation fight at this point in time.
That said,confidence in the team is rock bottom after yesterdays awful performance..so I can´t count it out we will be dragged into one further down the line.

IF we manage to stay up..we desperatly needs urgent upgrades especially central midfield and defence.
Four at the back is the way to transit us into a better team in the future IMO..and we absolutely need to buy at least one CB of solid quality.
We need two CM´s..allready baked solid quality one´s.

It is a minimum requirement.Not doing this biz will mean we will continue to regress.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a fan, I’ve come to accept certain things in life. Several pertain to Wolves.

Whether Nuno is good or bad , I have no control over. None.
Same with transfers, .....is Silva or Semedo worth the money? Shi never asked me....because it’s none of my business.
I may want a new striker this window......too bad.

Like a bad referee or VAR call, I understand and accept my lack of input to certain things. They are beyond my control.
So, I know my limitations as a fan........makes life easier.

Surely there comes a point where constant negative repetition becomes redundant.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm always pretty pessimistic, but I am hoping the 22pts we have now are enough of a head start to scrape over the finish line and keep us up. I hope.

My biggest worry is how 'the project' just seems to have been pulled from underneath us. The look Nuno had towards the end of the game, hand on face looking totally and utterly defeated, dejected, and dare i say it, not wanting to be here.

Made me realise that Fosun MUST be thinking of either pulling out, or at least not wanting to give any more financial clout to us. Then the Mendes link starts looking more clearer now, we buy young, and sell at profit, we DO NOT buy players in their prime.

Even taking the injuries into account, I can't believe we have gone from Europa Quarter Finalists (a side with so much spirit and camaraderie), to a side who looks like they can't string 2 passes together and have never played alongside each other before. And SO devoid of ideas and impetus.

Even if we do stay up, and some of our players follow Jota and leave, where will that leave next season? Struggling to avoid the bottom 3 again.... It all feels so Moxey/Morgan again.

I wish Jeff Shi would open his mouth and tell us the truth whats happening behind the scenes. His silence is deafening.

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worst thing is, no one at the club seems to acknowledge it.
Its actually frightening.
It is SO OBVIOUS we need signings

It’s one of the worst transfer windows in history at the moment , and is so important to our future.
How cannot people at wolves see this

someone needs to get in their and bang their heads together

our issues areSO SIMPLE to rectify yet they can’t see it .

So frustrated.

Let’s be honest we’ve played well every game since arsenal and deserved at least a point in every match except Liverpool, but critically out center backs, experienced midfielders, and full backs make mistakes , and we don’t have a good enough striker or creative midfielder to make the most of our dominance in games

Get it sorted in the window this week wolves . No excuses

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s one of the worst transfer windows in history at the moment , and is so important to our future.

So frustrated.

Let’s be honest we’ve played well every game since arsenal and deserved at least a point in every match except Liverpool, but critically out center backs, experienced midfielders, and full backs make mistakes , and we don’t have a good enough striker or creative midfielder to make the most of our dominance in games

There could be many valid reasons why Wolves or Fosun haven’t done anything yet...or may not.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So frustrated.

I dont think there is any money

R

reanswolf

As a fan, I’ve come to accept certain things in life. Several pertain to Wolves.

Whether Nuno is good or bad , I have no control over. None.
Same with transfers, .....is Silva or Semedo worth the money? Shi never asked me....because it’s none of my business.
I may want a new striker this window......too bad.

Like a bad referee or VAR call, I understand and accept my lack of input to certain things. They are beyond my control.
So, I know my limitations as a fan........makes life easier.

Surely there comes a point where constant negative repetition becomes redundant.
I agree, but it depends how easily a process you find it as a fan, to overcome repeat local derby adversity.
It probably helps mate, that you live in Vancouver and not the Black Country.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, but it depends how easily a process you find it as a fan, to overcome repeat local derby adversity.
It probably helps mate, that you live in Vancouver and not the Black Country.
Though we've still got twice as many points as that lot.

(at least for the time being)

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, its done and dusted, and the morning after I feel I can give a more balanced overview now. I'm not a betting man but always find odds of an Albion win too good to turn down considering we have only beat them twice in 20 years, so a £50 bet at 13-2 has given me £375. Small consolation for what was ultimately a fairly insipid, but all-too-predictable defeat. I think I am gonna join those hating Villa instead, as beating Albion just seems beyond us as a club. Albion were not dirty or diving at all, they gave a professional, honest, and incredibly hard-working performance and for that alone, you can see why neutrals wanted them to win. You just got the feeling that it meant so much more to the Albion players, that may seem harsh, but Nuno nor the Wolves players have any real understanding of the depth of feeling here, whereas big Sam..............

Fragile at the back, immobile in midfield, powder puff in attack, we have allowed multiple issues to evolve, and although Albion didn't actually do much, their moments of attack were consequently more effective and incisive than ours. They were robbed of 3 key players in Johnstone, Phillips, and Diagana, so that balanced out the fact we are still missing Jimenez, Jonny, Marcal, Podence.

Our attacks down the wing with Neto and Traore were certainly good, with Semedo also prompting aggressively. That is the one good area of play that was pleasing. Traore especially caused endless issues and he must be thinking what it would be like at a club where people in attack can win headers or drive into the box from midfield. His abilities here are rarely taken advantage of, which is incredibly frustrating when you have such a unique talent. There was one low cross that was screaming for someone to charge in, but it missed Fabio and Donk was just strolling in at slow pace.

The first penalty was clearly outside the box, so I just don't understand VAR there. You can bet your bottom dollar if it had been deemed to be at a match of importance, for example Liverpool v Man Utd today, VAR would have overturned that. But what a sloppy challenge from big Willy. No excuse for it. Albion should have gone 2-0 up to be fair, but Rui saved well. Then came our deserved Traore-inspired mini-comeback. First Fabio showed great strength to shield the ball and calmly turn it in, followed by Boly side-footing after a mess in the Albion box.

Then came half-time, me and my lad were saying we don't feel comfortable with things, but we certainly didnt expect the calamative defending that followed. Actually, the first one was all too predictable. The Bennies may lack mobility but they are a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters aerially on long throws, and we know just how fragile we are, and in came the throw, and boing-boing off the top of 2 heads and it looped into the back of the net. All so predictable and even if we had gone further ahead, you always felt that in those isolated moments of throw-ins and corners, they could get a goal against our salmon-leaping defenders who still failed to get anywhere near their giants. Minutes later, Coads committed a cardinal sin and penalty given. Big Sam has obviously highlighted his individual frailty because he was again spun with ease on a 1 v 1, and another soft penalty was given by the happy referee, though this one probably was a penalty.

Such games sometimes produce defining moments, and for Coady it was one - cruelly hauled off after serving us so well. But Nuno made the decision to change him from world-class sweeper in a back 5, to championship standard centre-back in a back 4. Its not rocket science. So now we know it, we do not have the players to play a back 4 (most of us knew this anyway). Boly, Jonny, possibly Semedo, and a new quality bigger centre-back are required next season, if we stay up. Saiss is harshly excluded in my summary here, but again, despite performing admirably this season, we must upgrade. That new centre-back needn't come from Portugal nor the Mendes stable. Infact with central defenders, perhaps English players are better.

These 2 soft goals shell-shocked us, and although we had a few chances, we never really troubled their keeper and they even played out the last 4 minutes with relative ease. It was never backs against the wall for them, which won't surprise many Wolves fans because we simply don't have the midfield capable of a high-press.

Which brings me onto that unit. Midfield. Each individually good players, as a unit there are severe limitations. Very sadly, Moutinho is really showing his age as a 34-year old, becoming increasingly ineffective, especially against the more physical, robust sides like Albion. He just gets brushed aside, and if Otassowie had been fit he would have been ideal. Albion marked the strangely-ineffective Neves out of the game, and after an early burst from Dendoncker where he continued his Everton form of putting his boots on the wrong feet, he too became less and less prominant to the point of anonymity. No questioning his attitude, he is a great lad, but box-to-box is not his forte for Belgium, he just sweeps up, and that is what he should be doing for us. The much-pushed theory that his % win rate means he is such a key player this season is a bit of fallacy, let me put it this way - without naming the two players, if prior to yesterday, one of our 3 midfielders had played Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea (1st half only), Arsenal, Palace, Villa, Newcastle, Leeds, Fulham, Sheff Utd (2.5 tough games out of 10 against top opposition) and also only 2.5 games out of 10 without Raul, whilst another had played in games against Man City, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, West Ham, Newcastle, Palace, Burnley, Brighton (6 out of 13 games against top opposition) and 6 of his 13 games without Raul, which one would have the best % win rate? ...........Its really not rocket science to work out why one has a better rate than the other is it. It does highlight the danger of statistics though. Previous seasons, their % win rates were virtually identical. Again, I want to highlight this because we are in danger of over-emphasising Donk's effect. But that is not to slaughter him either, but his stats, when examined properly, do not reveal him as some sort of midfield saviour, though his presence physically in the middle is undoubtedly something we cannot remove. He is a 'steady-eddy', wrongly over-promoted by a few miss-led supporters on here. Bottom line is, alongside a better centre-back, we really must buy a more mobile, more attacking central midfielder to replace Mouts who is not going to be able to continue much longer. This should have been done in the brief summer window in many people's view after the Seville embarrassment display. Easier said than done though. If we play a midfield 3 still next season, Donk will be a valuable defensive CM alongside Neves and that new player most of us have all been screaming out for. Vitinha has great potential but is not currently the answer and if money is now short, we must prioritise our transfers far more effectively and not fritter it away fancifully on the likes of Vitinha and Fabio Silva, who may indeed be good players one day, but by then we will be back in the Championship and they will be playing for Porto or Sporting.

Which brings us onto attackers. Fabio actually put himself about far better yesterday and his goal was a treasure. But he is still fairly immobile and no threat in the air, and so many of us feel that it is a big mistake to rely on Fabio and the recalled Cutrone to keep us up this season.

The most worrying thing about this injury-struck but partially self-orchestrated decline, is that key players will now undoubtedly ask to leave in the summer......I am talking about Neves, Traore, Boly (who judging by his smile at the end yesterday doesn't really care much anyway), maybe Neto, maybe Jonny, maybe the increasingly static and ineffective Patricio, and of course our dear Raul Jimenez. These top players will not wish to remain here I am sad to say. Who can blame them? Unless there is some sort of dramatic improvement.

The key thing is of course now, is to stay up. It may seem overly-panicky but believe me we are getting closer to the bottom, and Big Sam will use this win to propel Albion into a run. Some Wolves fans bang on about our long-term project, but they are watching it disintergrate in front of their very own eyes. I said in the summer, once decline starts it is hard to turn around. It is like turning the Titanic in the cut. Transition is for pre-seasons and summer trips abroad, not the season itself. Of course, there was no break really, this time round.

But, on the positive side of a really bad negative, hopefully, with fans back next year, and hopefully with a regenerated Nuno, we can move forward again. Though it is still baffling how and why we have self-destructed. Nuno has to take some blame for allowing this and not seeing where we are in need of strengthening. Injuries have been cruel to us too. But we must stick together. Although this game came at the worst possible time for us (in the context of the last 3 seasons), hopefully this dreadful Albion result will at least have clarified a few things beyond doubt: -

* that we do not have the players to play a back four.
* that midfield needs upgrading badly.
* that our attack is powder-puff and creates no aerial threat at all.
* that we are simply too lightweight against the more physical teams.

Onto Chorley now, lets hope that we can at least win there. The players are probably as disillusioned as we are right now, equally baffled why we haven't brought in a striker and are relying on kids up front, and by the obvious frailties the change of system has created. Equally worrying, judging by Fosun's current inaction, is that they too may be somewhat disillusioned by the way money has been spent, but that is pure conjecture on my behalf, and their total inaction to the slump in results in this transfer window may well be more to do with the political situation.

One thing though.............its not the fans fault.
Fantastic summary of the situation, sums up my thoughts well.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Tim Spiers tweeted out the link below to a video of wolves winning 2-0 in 1997 against the Albion.
The first goal is a bullet header from Dean Richards where he really attacks the ball from a short corner.
The second is from Roberts, but is made by bully when wolves lose the ball in centre circle and bully races in, wins the ball back and surges forwards to start the attack.
When I watched it before the game, I thought how much passion bully had shown and what a great tackle it was. Sadly I used this as the benchmark for the passion needed whilst watching yesterday’s game and every time I saw a weak half hearted challenge, I thought of what the 1997 team and bully would have done in same position.

R

reanswolf

Tim Spiers tweeted out the link below to a video of wolves winning 2-0 in 1997 against the Albion.
The first goal is a bullet header from Dean Richards where he really attacks the ball from a short corner.
The second is from Roberts, but is made by bully when wolves lose the ball in centre circle and bully races in, wins the ball back and surges forwards to start the attack.
When I watched it before the game, I thought how much passion bully had shown and what a great tackle it was. Sadly I used this as the benchmark for the passion needed whilst watching yesterday’s game and every time I saw a weak half hearted challenge, I thought of what the 1997 team and bully would have done in same position.

Aerial threat in attack?
Sadly lacking.

sturb74

Reaction score
Very true.

First one was definitely outside the box, if that had been Manure or Liverpool it would have been given outside the box. 2nd one barely a touch but we know Coady is weak on those one on ones.
Our handball, well, seen those given so many times but probably right not to give it.
1st pen contact was on the thigh inside the box not the foot, 2nd one Is stupid no need to make contact giving the opportunity to go down Gibbs handball would have been given before handball rule change

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted I wasn't in the slightest bit worried about losing this one. I genuinely felt even with our form dipping this season we would be comfortable. Oh well WTF do I know?

Albion will be relegated this year and we will not be (there I go again) which makes it even more of a **** off.

We scored two good goals yesterday but those hideous mistakes that have crept in this season by some of the more mature players cost us. Baffling but after three seasons of meteoric rise it reminds everyone that players can lose it for periods. or even start to decline.

Apart from the obvious Fred Carnoisms I still don't think we are playing that badly in most games. We have reached the first mini crisis in four years. Surely everyone needs to remember that Nuno hasn't just done a good job. What he and they have achieved in so little time is well above average.

To start applying the predicable pressure to them from the 'outside' as seen in the last 24 hours would be dangerous at this stage. We were happy to praise when all was going magnificently we have to back them to turn it around.

Changing it all at the first sign of a dip would only put the club back where we spent decades as far as I can see. Whatever happens what Nuno ans Shi have done these past four years has been worthy of a bit of slack and support right now.

Back
Top Bottom