Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves 0 Man City 3 Verdict

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same old , same old.....
Podence is wasted as a " false 9"
Neto should be on left!!
Moutinho shouldn't be starting
Neves needs to be more disciplined now that he has the arm band, another needless yellow for dissent.
What was Collins thinking? Reminded me of Cantona's kung fu kick.

When you are playing top teams and you know you are going to have very limited opportunities to score, you need to make every corner/ free kick count...... ours are beyond awful, why the hell is Moutinho still taking free kicks? and asking for the ball to be played short at corners?
As much as I admire the supporters for getting behind the manager , It makes my blood pressure rise when I hear renditions of " Bruno Lage's Barmy Army"..... I just want the man gone.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we were alright-ish. A mid table (quality) side vs possibly the best team in world club football at the moment. Thought Neves filled in well, Traore II, Kilman and Nunes did okay, Pod had a good go. Neto and Jonny are as much of a worry for me as the CB situation. Lage stays for now, but not because of anything he's done to date - this is his side now and so it makes to persevere.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do you mean easily beatable? I dont remember being easily beaten in any of the defeats up until the city game. Man City are in another league. Did you go to todays game expecting a win? If you did then you are deluded
Easily beatable insofar as generally the opposition have only to score once and the points are gone as we rarely score. You may be aware that we have scored a grand total of 3 in the league this season. Spurs' Son scored as many in 13 minutes yesterday.
I didn't expect a win yesterday, but hoped that we would give City a game, just as Newcastle and Villa did. I did expect Wolves to keep City out for more than 55 seconds, to compete and generally have pride in their performance. Maybe that was too much to expect and I'm 'deluded' in even expecting the very basics of work-rate and organisation from this Wolves' side against a team that didn't even get out of second gear to take home the points.
Man City might be in 'another league' as you put it, but working hard, organisation and players keeping their heads by cutting out elementary mistakes would have lifted my delusion to the level of Newcastle and Villa fans, both of whom can look back on their performances with a lot more pride than us.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Other than keeping the goal difference damage to as little as possible, the thing you have to do with City is A. Not get injured and B. Not get sent off.

Hard to judge anyone against that lot but I will say that Ruben Neves is a world class player and Goncalo Guededes is going to need time, hopefully he's a fast learner.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pity Bruno didn't bring Campbell the moment that Foden scored their third. OK, in all probability it wouldnt have made a difference, but at least give the kid a chance to make a name for himself. Especially when our front three were all played out.

Five minutes is meaningless.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Plus Sa should have saved his shot. Poor keeping in my book
I thought that Sa should have done better. He's been a bit iffy this season. Seems the general confidence of the whole team has deteriorated. I panic whenever the ball gets passed back to him.
Only a matter of time before he gets robbed of the ball or makes a bad pass that leads to a goal.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pity Bruno didn't bring Campbell the moment that Foden scored their third. OK, in all probability it wouldnt have made a difference, but at least give the kid a chance to make a name for himself. Especially when our front three were all played out.

Five minutes is meaningless.
It's not only the "5 minutes only" for me, it's also the fact that Chem invariably plays on the left for the U21s, but on the two (?) occasions he's come on, he's been asked to play down the right.

Yet another of Lage's tactical decisions that I don't get.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve not seen it back, but up at the back of J10 my first thought was it looked like a miss hit.

Didn’t help that our defence backed off so much.
Collins had gone chasing the ball, like a school boy , and left kilman isolated... Harland is so fast he had to back off and hope another wolves player came to help him..but yes, awful goalkeeping from Sa , but apparently the mistakes by Collins and Sa are Bruno's fault

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that Sa should have done better. He's been a bit iffy this season. Seems the general confidence of the whole team has deteriorated. I panic whenever the ball gets passed back to him.
Only a matter of time before he gets robbed of the ball or makes a bad pass that leads to a goal.
He's very iffy this season,,and the end of last . He has no competition now either

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As apparently Jimenez won't play for ages we now need 2 cf's and a ch in January. We may be well adrift by then so may find it hard to get anybody decent. Thought we were ok for 15 mins and dire for 75.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's very iffy this season,,and the end of last . He has no competition now either

His freakishly high number of match defining saves last season cancelled out his errors, and then some, fortunately. He was never going to be able to keep that up this season. So once the worlie saves dry up and the mistakes remain we have a big problem.

rubyloo

Reaction score
4 hour round trip for a game that was over in 55 seconds.

Everything around the club has gone completely flat - feels like we're just waiting for something to give.

A couple of years ago i would often come out of the ground absolutely buzzing - now, I'm generally thinking; I wonder if I can beat the traffic?

My only real observation about the 'game' itself: What's happened to Sa? seems like a nervous wreck.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we played that badly
Man City ate a different class
I thought individually all but 2/3 players we were quite good
Same old story though can’t score, no natural centre forward being the main reason
However my concerns and disappointments today was
1 The starting line up, I really thought Semedo should have started
2 Podence cannot play in the middle of a front 3, Guedes and Podence should have been swapped around
3 The substitutions, Neto should have come off earlier
Neves as centre half when Mousquera got warmed up and took his top off to come on
All the above was down to Bruno who now doesn’t seem to know what to do
Agree with most of that, the lack of a centre forward was a huge problem. Actually thought Guedes had a good game where he was but agree it may have worked better if he’d swapped with Podence.

Not sure why so many are critical of the Neves move though? I thought it worked well in a pretty much impossible situation. Easy option would have been to bring on another CB and sacrifice a player further forward, but what it did allowed Neves to still have an influence on the game (he reminded me of Hoddle playing for Swindon and Chelsea) while keeping all our attacking players on the pitch, actually thought it was quite a brave move.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 hour round trip for a game that was over in 55 seconds.

Everything around the club has gone completely flat - feels like we're just waiting for something to give.

A couple of years ago i would often come out of the ground absolutely buzzing - now, I'm generally thinking; I wonder if I can beat the traffic?

My only real observation about the 'game' itself: What's happened to Sa? seems like a nervous wreck.

Summed up quite nicely. Yesterday was the first time in a very long while where I basically felt this is pointless for most of the match.

Totally agree that it feels like the place is waiting for something to happen. Almost an air of “we’ll be alright when……”

That’s my biggest worry at the moment, I’m not sure what that ‘when’ is, and if this attitude remains about the club too long the list of ‘when’s’ becomes too big to act on.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with most of that, the lack of a centre forward was a huge problem. Actually thought Guedes had a good game where he was but agree it may have worked better if he’d swapped with Podence.

Not sure why so many are critical of the Neves move though? I thought it worked well in a pretty much impossible situation. Easy option would have been to bring on another CB and sacrifice a player further forward, but what it did allowed Neves to still have an influence on the game (he reminded me of Hoddle playing for Swindon and Chelsea) while keeping all our attacking players on the pitch, actually thought it was quite a brave move.

Yes, credit where it’s due, I’m not a huge fan of Lage by any stretch, but I actually think the Neves move worked ok. In fact we had a pretty good period with that system.

Neves really can do everything!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, credit where it’s due, I’m not a huge fan of Lage by any stretch, but I actually think the Neves move worked ok. In fact we had a pretty good period with that system.

Neves really can do everything!
Please don't say that last sentence else "tactical genius" will play him at centre forward then in goal.....

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having watched MOTD and hearing the pundits i have to agree with them
We are a pretty side to watch,lots of clever players but just no cutting edge

There were several instances of players not having the desire to get into the box shown and its true
On at least 4 occasions we had decent breaks and no one or maybe one player in the box,its no wonder we cant score
It ends up being played back or a speculative shot from distance 9 out of 10 times

The one time we did get players in the box Guedes fluffed his lines,i thought he had a good game bar that btw
Also there were several occasions where we lost the ball in their half and we had players walking back while they were attacking wheres the desire?

Neto has to go on the left,but he ran his legs off for the team
A CF is a must so lets hope Raul or Costa get fit asap
Traore looked decent and Nunes and Neves were both good

It wasnt as bad as some say and keeping it down to 3 was pretty good tbf,but if Lage stays he has to play to players strengths surely he can see this inverted role he insists on playing isnt working

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pathetic loser mentality. Lost the game before going on the pitch
He should be dropped. He ain’t no Patricio
I thought Sa was a top top keeper but now he lets in goals he should save and when he has the ball at his feet he's an accident waiting to happen. I wonder if the speculation from Leicester about going there a few weeks ago has affected him.
He can't be dropped though we don't have anybody any good to replace him.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rush of blood to the head moment by Collins. Would have made no difference to the outcome of the result … it’s just the 3 games he misses that become the problem.

The defence hasn’t been the issue this season, it is still the midfield. Despite spanking a good wedge on a player from what I have seen so far will be very good, so calm on the ball, always showing and always wants to keep it moving.

But the midfield is still the issue as it has been for 3 years now. Neves played very well when moved back but the one constant in that midfield is Moutinho. Was an absolute Rolls Royce of a player in our first year, since then has been decline. Understandable as the guy is now 36, but 2 seasons after his steady decline he is still a regular starting player, that is criminal.

He doesn’t do much different from Karl Henry back in the day, only shows to the centre halves and gives it simple, if anything he lacks the physicality Henry gave us. Because he is small, good looking and Portuguese it’s ok.

Amount of times I saw RAN with the ball yesterday and he had no options, not one. RAN was left with the decision to pass it back and get groaned at or to move forward to try and find someone and more often than not lose the ball and get groaned at. Guedes is as much to blame for this aswell. But Moutinho hides from the ball unless he has an easy pass back to the centre halves to make or if he has acres of space to receive the ball and then slow the game down to a stop.

I along with most fans were saying in Nunos last season he needs to become more of a bit part player and used tactically in games … 2 seasons later he is still a first name on the team sheet.

He passes it simple, has no pace, has no strength, doesn’t carry the ball, slows the game down to a walking pace.

What a great player he was … was. Nunes looked so much better when he was played in a proper midfielders position, Moutinho was still MIA.

Shame to see but it’s holding us back … that’s without taking into account we have no goal scorers in this team. But we don’t create anything anyway.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
have to agree with this,we say it every game there seems to be little confidence and not much communication

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pep is often complimentary about the teams they stuff!
It would be a better sign if after the game he were slagging us off...
This - I preferred it when he was moaning we were too defensive and hitting long balls after Raul & Traore tore them to ribbons.
Not interested in a pat on the head from Professor Pep. Compliments won’t keep us up.

R

reanswolf

So ****ing predictable, even allowing for the new arrivals. No heart in the first half, no goals, no threat and even allowing for the start to the second half, no positives.
Guedes had our only shot on target, but even he was meh! Not seen anything in him yet.
Nunes did OK, but that was about it.
Collins is an absolute idiot and should publicly apologise to Bruno, his team mates and the fans. Let everyone down.
We are in a relegation scrap, let's be totally honest. That's not just based on today's ***********, but on the season to date. We don't have leaders in this team, unfortunately.
Traore looked OK once the game was done.
Neto's and RAN's decision making was suspect.
Jonny - meh!
Kilman did as well as he could without much help, but was like a schoolboy for Harland's goal.
Neves and Mouts were overrun.
Podence did little.
Sa could do nothing about the first and third, but may have read Erlings shot better. Perhaps that's a little harsh.

We are so lightweight and so easily beatable!
Sorry but still think Palhinha would have been ideal replacement for Mouts

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry but still think Palhinha would have been ideal replacement for Mouts
I don’t think we need a replacement for Moutinho … we need someone different as we still have Neves.

Hopefully Traore is that player … but does Lage have the balls to drop Moutinho and play a 3 of Neves, Nunes and Traore?

I doubt it.

R

reanswolf

I don’t think we need a replacement for Moutinho … we need someone different as we still have Neves.

Hopefully Traore is that player … but does Lage have the balls to drop Moutinho and play a 3 of Neves, Nunes and Traore?

I doubt it.
Yes Traore reminded me a bit of Doucoure when he was on form.

I’m pinning a lot of hope on this lad.

Back
Top Bottom