Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves 0 Man City 3 Verdict

Handbrake

Reaction score
For me RAN was totally out of position for the first goal he got sucked too far in field and left us completely exposed down the right wing , he also gets caught out being far too far up the pitch if he’s so amazing going forward then play him as a winger because he is a useless defender, personally I thought we showed some really good spirit in the second half, but prodance and Neto final touch final ball is woeful at the moment so wasteful week in week out , For me we need a change of manager not just on the back of this result

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me RAN was totally out of position for the first goal he got sucked too far in field and left us completely exposed down the right wing , he also gets caught out being far too far up the pitch if he’s so amazing going forward then play him as a winger because he is a useless defender, personally I thought we showed some really good spirit in the second half, but prodance and Neto final touch final ball is woeful at the moment so wasteful week in week out , For me we need a change of manager not just on the back of this result
Not really … he closed his man down! The blame lies on Guedes/Moutinho for not tracking De Bruyne … how is De Bruyne (Man City central midfielder) Ait-Nouris man?

RAN was one of our better players yesterday, every time he got the ball he had hardly anything to work with. His options were to pass it back or to take the ball on, sometimes it worked and we got the ball into the City half, sometimes he was dispossessed… but he literally had the option of try and make something happen or pass it back to Kilman.

Guedes never showed for him and Moutinho hid in the centre circle.

Handbrake

Reaction score
Not really … he closed his man down! The blame lies on Guedes/Moutinho for not tracking De Bruyne … how is De Bruyne (Man City central midfielder) Ait-Nouris man?

RAN was one of our better players yesterday, every time he got the ball he had hardly anything to work with. His options were to pass it back or to take the ball on, sometimes it worked and we got the ball into the City half, sometimes he was dispossessed… but he literally had the option of try and make something happen or pass it back to Kilman.

If you watch it back he was in a centre back position leaving the Man City player all alone on the wing , he tried his absolute best to get back and close down but it was too late , he is fantastic down forward and on the ball but I’ve had severe doubts about his defending ability since he joined the club

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally out of position? He was in the left back position, marking their right winger. De Bruyne came on the overlap and Guedes stopped running with him.

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score

Felt sorry for RAN after watching highlights last night. 1st and 3rd goals he was outnumbered. May not have been ideally positioned but most would struggle with 2/3 on 1s he ended up with.

Handbrake

Reaction score
Totally out of position? He was in the left back position, marking their right winger. De Bruyne came on the overlap and Guedes stopped running with him.
When the initial pass goes out to the left wing he’s in the centre back position ball watching

Handbrake

Reaction score
Look I’m not saying that Goal was his fault far from it, but his positional awareness is very poor in my opinion

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you need to go back , The reason the ball got played out to the winger was because ran what is so far inside
He’s not in shot further back, presumably because he’s still in the left back position. Either way, he gets over to his man and holds him up, the problem is it becomes a 2 on 1 when Guedes can’t be ***** to keep running with KDB.

Handbrake

Reaction score
He’s not in shot further back, presumably because he’s still in the left back position. Either way, he gets over to his man and holds him up, the problem is it becomes a 2 on 1 when Guedes can’t be ***** to keep running with KDB.
I can’t argue with that mate

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Guedes was probably more at fault for their first goal.

He tracked back but then stopped ... leaving Rayan exposed and out numbered. It was just far too easy for them to get round the back of us.

Lage is also at fault. Against a team like City, why on earth he thought it was a good idea for the two front wide men to play so far forward is beyond me. Look at where De Bruyne first picks up the ball and how much space he has ... and this was in the first ****ing minute!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This ... 100% ... anyone with half a brain will know where the fault lies.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In recent years, always found something special about the City games. Knowing how good they are, that they could out 6 or 7 past you if they get going. Also, remembering back to Nuno's early days, that Carabao cup match, the first real test of what was the Nunolution. Fully expecting to be battered, watched it shaking with nerves the whole time! And felt so proud of the team for that performance that night, knew something special was happening. Then the Premier League matches against them, we were always so up for it. Even the defeats, we gave a good account. And that amazing 3-2 win, still I think the greatest performance by a Wolves side in the 45-ish years I've been watching.

But yesterday? No nerves. We turned up. Got turned over. Did enough to not look ridiculous. Without ever looking like we cared anywhere near as much as those previous matches above. Going through the motions. Some players seeing this as their stepping stone year to a "big club"? Manager out of his depth? Nothing to get excited about, which sums up 95% of our matches for a year or more now.

From the start, the positioning looked all wrong. Like they haven't trained for 2 weeks. Big gaps between defence and midfield which everybody knows is where City love to exploit. Some of our players looking knackered after 30 minutes. Not that they'd done much actual running. Against the team that presses high as well as anyone, we try to knock the ball around the back with players clearly not really into it. The fear in our defenders is visible. Is it a tactical masterstroke? The opponent would never think we would play to *their* strengths? Blackadder springs to mind. The idea is to exploit the gaps behind the high press. We don't do that, though. We just keep knocking the ball around, until losing it and making a panicky tackle - or kung fu kick - to save the situation.

Then City take their foot off the pedal and go into cruise control, they'd been in Europe on wednesday so understandable. Rotate in some of the youth team. And give us the middle third of the pitch to harmlessly play around in. They've clearly watched us before, which is a novel approach, maybe Bruno could try it instead of sending out the same rigid formation playing the same rigid way every week?

In the end, individually nobody played badly. As a team, it was very mundane and lacking passion, though. I'm not as easily fooled by the hours of ineffective possession we rack up, we are masters of it. Where from here? No idea. Just grateful we aren't the only one of the "Best of the Rest" to be struggling. Strange that us, Leicester, West Ham and Everton all down there at the bottom, as if bashing your head against the glass ceiling saps the spirits eventually.

wlvs1982

Reaction score
Easily beatable insofar as generally the opposition have only to score once and the points are gone as we rarely score. You may be aware that we have scored a grand total of 3 in the league this season. Spurs' Son scored as many in 13 minutes yesterday.
I didn't expect a win yesterday, but hoped that we would give City a game, just as Newcastle and Villa did. I did expect Wolves to keep City out for more than 55 seconds, to compete and generally have pride in their performance. Maybe that was too much to expect and I'm 'deluded' in even expecting the very basics of work-rate and organisation from this Wolves' side against a team that didn't even get out of second gear to take home the points.
Man City might be in 'another league' as you put it, but working hard, organisation and players keeping their heads by cutting out elementary mistakes would have lifted my delusion to the level of Newcastle and Villa fans, both of whom can look back on their performances with a lot more pride than us.
Fair comments here. I agree that we switched off for their first goal and i am sure the players were equally disappointed conceding so early. But these things happen and city have real quality in the final third. Scoring goals is a real problem right now for us. Jiminez is no longer what he used to be and we had no luck with the kalajdzic injury. We hope costa may provide what we need but will take time to get fully fit and firing. I disagree with your comment about workrate. I think we did well considering we were down to 10 men for the majority of the game. We were let down by individual errors which is unfortunately part of the game. Perfection does not exist. I think we would have made more of game of it 11 v 11 but would likely have still lost to be honest.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
But yesterday? No nerves. We turned up. Did enough to not look ridiculous. Without ever looking like we cared anywhere near as much as previous matches. Going through the motions. Nothing to get excited about.
I've just deliberately changed your paragraph as so much of it could be applied to the City team on Saturday!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Worst thing for me on Saturday is that the way City were going to come out of the blocks in the first 15 mins was obvious.

They had just played a tough CL game midweek, and they were not going to want the match to 'go long' with a 0-0 or 1-1 scoreline with 20 mins to go with legs likely to be going and/or risking injury.

For us it was about as good an opportunity we are going to get against that City side if we could have kept things compact and disciplined and tried to get them frustrated.

Instead, literally in the first minute of the game, we allowed one of the best midfielders in the league too much space, invited him onto us, and look what happened.

I think the stat is in 36 games when City go ahead, they have won 33? Game over and the players body language showed it too.

TBH Collins getting sent off probably worked out better for the team, as after that City completely took their foot off the gas (much to Peps frustration as you could see), preventing a much worse score line.

Sa joking in the tunnel to 'take it easy'; while he may have been having a bit of a joke with KDB after sticking 4 past him last season, just isn't the right mindset to be going into that game with and says a lot about where the team are right now.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Such a pathetic performance on saturday, didn’t compete at all.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In recent years, always found something special about the City games. Knowing how good they are, that they could out 6 or 7 past you if they get going. Also, remembering back to Nuno's early days, that Carabao cup match, the first real test of what was the Nunolution. Fully expecting to be battered, watched it shaking with nerves the whole time! And felt so proud of the team for that performance that night, knew something special was happening. Then the Premier League matches against them, we were always so up for it. Even the defeats, we gave a good account. And that amazing 3-2 win, still I think the greatest performance by a Wolves side in the 45-ish years I've been watching.

But yesterday? No nerves. We turned up. Got turned over. Did enough to not look ridiculous. Without ever looking like we cared anywhere near as much as those previous matches above. Going through the motions. Some players seeing this as their stepping stone year to a "big club"? Manager out of his depth? Nothing to get excited about, which sums up 95% of our matches for a year or more now.

From the start, the positioning looked all wrong. Like they haven't trained for 2 weeks. Big gaps between defence and midfield which everybody knows is where City love to exploit. Some of our players looking knackered after 30 minutes. Not that they'd done much actual running. Against the team that presses high as well as anyone, we try to knock the ball around the back with players clearly not really into it. The fear in our defenders is visible. Is it a tactical masterstroke? The opponent would never think we would play to *their* strengths? Blackadder springs to mind. The idea is to exploit the gaps behind the high press. We don't do that, though. We just keep knocking the ball around, until losing it and making a panicky tackle - or kung fu kick - to save the situation.

Then City take their foot off the pedal and go into cruise control, they'd been in Europe on wednesday so understandable. Rotate in some of the youth team. And give us the middle third of the pitch to harmlessly play around in. They've clearly watched us before, which is a novel approach, maybe Bruno could try it instead of sending out the same rigid formation playing the same rigid way every week?

In the end, individually nobody played badly. As a team, it was very mundane and lacking passion, though. I'm not as easily fooled by the hours of ineffective possession we rack up, we are masters of it. Where from here? No idea. Just grateful we aren't the only one of the "Best of the Rest" to be struggling. Strange that us, Leicester, West Ham and Everton all down there at the bottom, as if bashing your head against the glass ceiling saps the spirits eventually.
Brilliant post!

We have been great as underdogs since we were promoted. Very, very exciting to watch. This time we basically rolled out the red carpet for City. Very disappointing.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me RAN was totally out of position for the first goal he got sucked too far in field and left us completely exposed down the right wing ,
This is the way modern defences set up - with full-backs taking up 'narrow' positions. (Solbakken tried to get our players to do it and they refused point blank because they knew better apparently). Once the ball goes out wide, the full-back then moves out to engage the winger - basically RAN did exactly what is expected of him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plucked up courage to finally watch the extended highlights on Wolves TV. Clever how by showing every time we got the ball down their end, it makes us look a bit unlucky!

Anyway, it was the same-old same-old. Not enough players forward. The contrast between us and City blatant. For their first goal, we lose the ball just inside our half, doesn't initially look dangerous. But they have 3 players in our goal area when the low cross comes in. Yet we have similar chances ourselves - one in the second half is virtually identical - and only have 1 player in the penalty area. Our movement when attacking is non-existant. How is that they (and most teams we play) can suddenly have 2 or 3 players pop up in our goal area, in open play, yet for us, its always one isolated player with the ball and perhaps one struggling to get there?

Back
Top Bottom