Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Witton Arms last night - a rant

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
This is not anything against AVFC but I went to the Witton Arms (believe the designated away pub) before the game last night and was charged £3 just to get in. Then £5 a pint or £4 for a can. There was no inside bar it was a shed and we were stood outside - a rip off???

Were they cashing in on the fact there were no trains so no where else for away fans to drink before coming to the game from wherever. There must have been around 200 wolves fans in the yard so they must have taken a considerable amount of money

Also, their card payment machine failed after a while so it was cash only and as the till was never closed it would be hard to trace the transactions that occurred

Hopefully next time we play Villa away there won't be a train strike so we can boycott this pub

Last edited:

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is not anything against AVFC but I went to the Witton Arms (believe the designated away pub) before the game last night was charged £3 just to get in. Then £5 a pint or £4 for a can. There was no inside bar it was a shed and we were stood outside - it was just a rip off. Think they were cashing in on the fact no trains so no where else for away fans to drink before coming to the game from wherever. There must have been around 200 wolves fans in the yard so they must have made an absolute mint. Hopefully next time we play Villa there will be no train strike so we can boycott this pub and their greedy owners.

They always charge so that’s nothing new. The cost of security would have been more than what they made on the door by charging £3pp

However £5 a pint and £4 a can was a rip off on the face of it but when it’s practically the only away pub near by it’s better than nothing. It’s closed and had different owners lots of times so if this is the only way it can survive then fair play to them

bully9

Reaction score
Worse that that they closed it early as there were flairs being let off , appyno other club has done that , Robbin **********s

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me of a scene from Only Fools & Horses.

Rodney: You mean you were gun-running in the middle of a civil war?

Grandad: Well that's the best time to do it Rodney, supply and demand!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I agree but Hobson’s choice means there is no choice
I know! My old man used that phrase a lot.

Edited to add: l guess that they could have all stuck to Adam's Ale....

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you put the words Carling and Fosters in the same sentence as beer??!!

The youth of today...

Best thing about Fosters since it appeared in the UK has been the adverts first with Paul Hogan - " I am here at the Albert Hall to listen to this ace new band Phil and his harmonicas ! " and then the two blokes who handed out advice from their Beach Hut :D :D :D

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was graffiti inside saying 'HELP'

That pub makes McGhee's look posh. I can see why no pubs want away fans in, but with no way of drinking in Brum city centre with strikes it was a con.
Saying that, we only give them the Bluebrick and no others so what goes round comes around.

MrJamez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve just seen the photos from Twitter.. what an absolute dive.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still cheaper than the Steve bull where I noticed it’s £5.50 a pint. Never drink I the ground so that blew my mind

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad phoned me after the game, I think he hit the jackpot. Quite the opposite to the OP.

He has some Villa mates and was working Central to the city centre in Walsall day of the game so met them. He took the bus, took 25 mins to get to Perry Barr where there was a Wetherspoons (name escapes me..) he was drinking Dark Fruit Cider (Stowford) which was £1.65 a pint (?!)

Apparently they had Stairway to heaven, one of my favourite ales, for £2.10. He said while it was not an away pub, there was little pockets of Wolves and it was fine.

It was then a 20min walk to the ground. He got a lift back off one of his Villa pals, reckons he was fairly giddy, said the night cost him £17.10.

£2.10 for a premium ale and £1.65 for a dark fruit cider. I know Wetherspoons can be cheap but that is on a different level!

Howlin’ Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
My lad phoned me after the game, I think he hit the jackpot. Quite the opposite to the OP.

He has some Villa mates and was working Central to the city centre in Walsall day of the game so met them. He took the bus, took 25 mins to get to Perry Barr where there was a Wetherspoons (name escapes me..) he was drinking Dark Fruit Cider (Stowford) which was £1.65 a pint (?!)

Apparently they had Stairway to heaven, one of my favourite ales, for £2.10. He said while it was not an away pub, there was little pockets of Wolves and it was fine.

It was then a 20min walk to the ground. He got a lift back off one of his Villa pals, reckons he was fairly giddy, said the night cost him £17.10.

£2.10 for a premium ale and £1.65 for a dark fruit cider. I know Wetherspoons can be cheap but that is on a different level!
The Arthur Robertson, it was fine in there, probably not so friendly if you’re not as discreet as we were. As you said, cheap and not too far from Vile Park.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Same here. Drank in Walsall prior to game. Caught bus up there and paid January sale prices in the Robertson spoons. Its all about doing your homework.

Back
Top Bottom