Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will Wolves come out of this well?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before I talk about the football side, I don't want to downplay or minimise the unbelievably difficult situation many are finding themselves in. Losing jobs, businesses, and loved ones are far more important than football.

Putting aside the obvious, far more important, human side of this terrible situation.

How do we all think the club will come out the other side of this situation?

From what I have seen Jeff and Fosun appear to be doing the right thing, the players appear to be happy with the club's response. Jeff has said we are in the strongest financial situation ever (but that was based on expected TV income), and as a backdrop, Fosun posted record profits. When things get back to 'normal' will this give the club an advantage in any way?

I know it feels wrong to be thinking about 'competitive advantage' at times like these but once we are through this time the world will get back to 'normal' - yes there may well be a few changes, but some organisations will benefit and others will not.

How will Wolves do?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All depends on Fosun really, their priorities may have changed after this, just got to wait to see how long it goes on for.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot see it ever happening but there has been speculation that the Chinese government could be sued for trillions. Any fan of a football club owned by the Chinese might find a bit of tension in that scenario.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Wish I shared your optimism @WW1963 I can see the demand for repairations and China’s refusal to provide them as a potential Kickstarter for ww3.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun will take a big economical hit from the lockdowns due to the pandemic of the chinese virus.
At this point in time it is impossible to say what impact it will have regarding WWFC.
Other clubs is pretty much in the same boat.
If Fosun continues to deal with the club like a single company,then we should still be in a fine position going forward(whenever that may be).
Too many unknowns for the moment to say something anything solid though.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder what the attitude of the world will be towards China after this crisis has passed, and whether that will affect Fosun's philosophy?
Exactly my thoughts. Anti-Sino feelings may be rife. Those noises are already resonating in the US.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder what the attitude of the world will be towards China after this crisis has passed, and whether that will affect Fosun's philosophy?
I think the attitude towards America will be just as important. It’s clear Trump is trying to set China up for a fall, (I don’t think he’d go as far as a full out war), but the question is, whilst they might not have many enemies in the West, how many friends do they have left whilst Trump has spent his entire term alienating everyone.

The world is changing, and America isn’t the powerhouse it was. I think it you look at Italy and the aid pouring in there from China then you’d have to ask where their allegiances lie. It was pointed out by the governor of New York at the weekend that the Chinese government is doing more to help them than their own federal government. Guilty conscience, you might say, but I don’t think the whole world would have the appetite for shunning China in the way Trump clearly wants.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Speaking short term the crisis may even make China stronger. While they will recover and working at full potential (or close), the rest of the world may need their help to survive, recover and rebuild.

Whatever this means to Wolves it's obviously hard to say, but I would assume at least keeping the status quo of the steadily growing project.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Needs to be football based if this isn't to be moved.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Our owners will be in much the same position as many other owners - working hard to make the most out of the difficult situation within their respective areas of business to limit their losses and bring in some much-needed profits.

The nationality of club-owners (much like it was before) will have little/no bearing on 99.9% of supporters - most are simply concerned with success and improvements.

I think Wolverhampton Wanderers will come out of this in much the same shape we entered it.

S

Staten Island Wolf

Fosun will stick by Wolves. Football clubs are flagship enterprises on the global stage, and if China is seen negatively because of the virus, providing entertainment could be part of the antidote. One can hope.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chinese investment companies did very well from the last financial crisis. Fosun are a very strong and brilliantly organised company. They will be fine and we will be fine, as we are part of the Fosun family.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hard to predict, but if I was to guess I don't think we will be greatly better or worse off than any other team. All clubs in the world will be affected, some maybe worse than others.

I would be surprised if there are many transfers this year, especially big money transfers. It depends on what FIFA and UEFA decide to do with FFP and the transfer window. If they relax the rules then maybe we could take advantage of opportunities that might arise. Maybe there will be some more young Portuguese players available if clubs in Portugal are in need of money.

I can see most clubs starting the next season with roughly the same squads as this season, but then again who knows when next season will start.

A few weeks ago Wolves talked about how they were planning on opening a second megastore in China and selling the Wolves fashion line in other parts of Asia. It will be interesting to see how that develops. Without being too political, if the Asian economy comes out stronger than Europe & the Americas it might be the ideal time to press ahead there commercially. Perhaps another mini tour if it is safe and a revised football calendar allows.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of peoples opinions of the club, then so far they seem do be doing the right things and providing support to community where needed. Fosuns view is that wolves needs to be self sustaining, so on that front unless the rest of the Fosun company is particularly hard hit financially then I don't think that will overly affect Wolves part of the company. Once all this is all over football clubs at least the ones in the prem/champ will probably able to pick up and carry on reasonably quickly once fans are able to go to games again then things will start to get back to normal, (smaller clubs may run into big financial trouble before that happens) maybe income from sponsorship/tv money may take longer to recover as those companies will also have less money to spend in those areas. I think Wolves will be in a reasonable position compared to most of the rest of the prem

L

luckyjim

All depends on Fosun really, their priorities may have changed after this, just got to wait to see how long it goes on for.

There may yet be a political reckoning for China from this which in turn is likely to affect Fosun.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
It’s a really difficult question, because none of us know what remnants of the football structure are going to be left when eventually things start again. We don’t know what competitions are going to be operating, and when. European competitions - are they going to be running? Don’t think there will be much transfer activity in the summer, so will that set us back because we were going to go for it in the summer? We will never know.

L

luckyjim

Needs to be football based if this isn't to be moved.

So what if we have a political situation which has a direct effect on football? Now we have two separate threads on the OT forum where the non-political discussion has become political. This is not the fault of posters because it shows you simply cannot firewall any kind of discussion of any nature from being political.

S

ShropshireLad

They won’t come out of it well if they sell Jimenez for £80 million and Traore for £70 million unless there are aces up their sleeve courtesy of Mendez.
Opinion: Club's demand of £150m for two most lethal players could ruin next season | Vital Wolverhampton Wanderers
There's bound to be interest in the pair of them but it’s possible, given the finances of clubs post virus, that no one will be prepared to pay that amount.

Anyhow, one wonders where the pundits get their info from so it’s too early to start the rumour mill but the principle remains, there’s no way that we should these two go...or Jota.

Back
Top Bottom