Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will Fosun realise?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look we all wanted a striker in January....had we got any incoming funds we would have brought one in...

It's not a dig at Gary as I'm a firmly behind him BUT before January he had hardly used Saza , Fabio, Santiago Bueno, Hugo Bueno, bouba, Doherty....there are reasons for it as the first 11 or so were playing so well...but he was equally running players into the ground....We all knew money would be tight ALL this season, for whatever reason....it was going to change in January regardless of the situation in the league good or bad...

I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt and certainly won't over react ....he gave his reasons for a few bad results...that's all....Some will over react , some won't ..... but there never was going to be much money available this season....that was made CLEAR to all parties in the summer....

If he was concerned about over using players then regardless of the forward question why was Gomes used last night with Doyle and a totally fresh Bouba available....not having a dig at him as Gomes is the better player obviously but just stating an alternative view...

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine GON maybe getting a request to attend Shi's office today.

Well talksport have mentioned GON vented his frustrations last night……

He is well loved and connected at talksport….. did a few shows on the station after his Bournemouth sacking.

this has the potential to go full JL in the media, but it will be done by GON in a far more classy way than JL did it!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad GON said what he said but I’m not 100% sure he’s earned the right to criticise the transfer policy of a club who gave him a chance at PL management again. Yea he’s done amazingly but I think he could have adjusted the pressing intensity and maybe nursed us through the season a little more when the forwards were starting to creak a little. Also, I’m struggling to believe that players were let leave on loan without him signing off on it - it’s just whether he was told another player would come in if we let them go. Which means… either Hobbs dropped the ball massively or Fosun moved the goalposts (heard that before?) on them both.

He 100% has the right to share his thoughts and opinions. Length of tenure or not.

It is clear from last night goal posts were moved on him like they were JL……

I think he played quite a clever game in how he said what he did! He mixed the venting into a well constructed and articulate answer, but the warning shots of his discontent were very very clear!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean, this could also be interpreted as GON looking after himself and his reputation before the inevitable fizzling out of the season, especially when we hit our amazingly difficult run of games with a shattered squad. He can probably foresee us finishing around 13th in poor form and rightfully doesn’t want it to be a reflection of how him and the players have performed.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An extra 2 pages of comments on this thread since yesterday. I was confident before reading who the majority of them would be from, some posters on here are as predictable as the British weather. Disappear after victories but spamming quicker than a 1940s housewife after a loss

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I mean, this could also be interpreted as GON looking after himself and his reputation before the inevitable fizzling out of the season, especially when we hit our amazingly difficult run of games with a shattered squad. He can probably foresee us finishing around 13th in poor form and rightfully doesn’t want it to be a reflection of how him and the players have performed.
Yeah I agree the bbc interview he did puts his comments into context. No one listening to the full interview can say he’s criticised the club in any way
O'Neil on Burnley draw - BBC Sounds

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We needed players we couldn’t afford them even a loan fee - that’s what Gon said
No one has said anything different

The argument is whether we could afford them or not
Or whether we were willing or able to pay what was a silly amount for Borja or willing to pay the additional agent fees for the Brazilian lad.

I think the club wanted to do the right deals.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well talksport have mentioned GON vented his frustrations last night……

He is well loved and connected at talksport….. did a few shows on the station after his Bournemouth sacking.

this has the potential to go full JL in the media, but it will be done by GON in a far more classy way than JL did it!
I honestly think you're blowing this massively out of proportion, yes of course GON is frustrated but it will be a frustration shared with everyone at the club.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is clear he has pitched this as him/Hobbs advising the club and the club choosing not to back them.

I don’t see how you can watch the Sky interview or read the comments given to the written press and not infer that. Unless you don’t want to.
Why would they choose not to?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly think you're blowing this massively out of proportion, yes of course GON is frustrated but it will be a frustration shared with everyone at the club.

For me, it is the fact he has made identical comments about squad depth and saying that injuries were likely that had people dog pilled/mocked by other posters…….

As I said, he has done this in a very classy way! Very professionally done that doesn’t cause the same issues JL did.

He wasn’t out and out attacking the board, I know and accept that. It is more he is now not being so guarded or dancing around those questions.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if owners of other clubs look at Wolves comfortable in mid-table with a small squad and wonder why they are carrying such bloated squads. Especially with the new financial rules about the squad cost related to revenue coming in, although I don't know too much about that. I bet some owners will be looking to cut the size of their squads.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
He’s understandably frustrated that opportunities of Europe (which, let’s be honest, don’t happen regularly for clubs like us and Managers like him) have been undermined by a lack of squad depth. Not too concerned about him making those frustrations known (we all feel the same at the moment).

Only concern is whether goalposts were moved at all in the same way that they were for Lopetegui. If he was told we could let two strikers go because we would be getting ‘replacements’ in and then the finances changed (as they did hugely with what they told Lopetegui), then you have to question either the communication and honesty of the club or the accuracy of our financial forecasts.

Hoping it’s a bit of a storm in a teacup.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if owners of other clubs look at Wolves comfortable in mid-table with a small squad and wonder why they are carrying such bloated squads. Especially with the new financial rules about the squad cost related to revenue coming in, although I don't know too much about that. I bet some owners will be looking to cut the size of their squads.

They don’t……

They know in the current stop start age of VAR, then the excessive added times in both halves that each starter position is a depth chart like this :

Starter
Sub

Then a third player, who covers both roles of CB for example

So you have 5 CB’s if you play 2 in your formation.

And it is that for EVERY position of the starting 11

Means a squad should be MINIMUM 22 Senior ready players

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think some clubs will inevitably have to look at this season... hopefully we may benefit as we seem 1 step ahead of this in some respects...

We could also argue that in some ways OUR squad is still bloated...We have far too many players out on loan still, especially forwards...we clearly have to address this issue before we bring people in....that's the issue....get rid off the lot of them...

Last edited:

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not if they’ve been watching us play in recent weeks

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the day no-one really knows what's about to happen in football. We don't know what the new rules adopted by the Premier League will be entirely, or how they will affect clubs. But it does look like FOSUN made the decision to prepare for the worst regarding PSR.

Next season may see a monumental change in football in this country if the full 70% PSR rules are adopted and there are some clubs sweating profusely over what it would mean to them. Chelsea are almost certain to be getting a points deduction and the usual suspects like Everton & Forest will be hard pushed to avoid breaching again if they stay up. Clubs like Villa and Newcastle are making noises about having to sell to avoid sanctions.

The old maxim that if you don't spend big to move forward may well no longer apply and you can move forward by standing still, as a load of other clubs will be moving backwards rapidly

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, it is the fact he has made identical comments about squad depth and saying that injuries were likely that had people dog pilled/mocked by other posters…….

As I said, he has done this in a very classy way! Very professionally done that doesn’t cause the same issues JL did.

He wasn’t out and out attacking the board, I know and accept that. It is more he is now not being so guarded or dancing around those questions.
I just think he was being totally transparent, as he always has been, no over reaction, no silly emotional stuff, no hissy fits, just laying out exactly how it is, he's an impressive guy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don’t……

They know in the current stop start age of VAR, then the excessive added times in both halves that each starter position is a depth chart like this :

Starter
Sub

Then a third player, who covers both roles of CB for example

So you have 5 CB’s if you play 2 in your formation.

And it is that for EVERY position of the starting 11

Means a squad should be MINIMUM 22 Senior ready players
I’ll always applaud how you use your opinion as if it’s undeniable fact. How can you possibly know what other club owners/chairman/dof’s are thinking?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think he was being totally transparent, as he always has been, no over reaction, no silly emotional stuff, no hissy fits, just laying out exactly how it is, he's an impressive guy.

We agree 100% on that part about it not being hissy fitty or silly emotionally done……

But the media is picking it up, and they are saying the same as many of us, that this is the start for him in terms of venting his frustrations

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll always applaud how you use your opinion as if it’s undeniable fact. How can you possibly know what other club owners/chairman/dof’s are thinking?

This is what I have heard other clubs are doing…… that is from people still involved in transfers/first team support.

So for the four people at other prem clubs I have spoken to about this, this is what they are doing.

I don’t know what owners are thinking, if I made it look that way (clearly I did) that is on me, didn’t mean to do so.

I will now be clearer in saying that is what I am being told is the plan some clubs will be working to going forward from what I have been told by staff members at other prem clubs

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is Oneil getting in his version of events first, so that the fans know very clearly where the problem lies,
and why the total fiasco of January took place.

It has to be viewed strategically, rather than just venting.

Does that mean forcing the board to invest properly this summer, or does it mean he is signalling that
he is on the way out because of the negligence of the board?

Not quite sure yet, but those are the possibilities.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is what I have heard other clubs are doing…… that is from people still involved in transfers/first team support.

So for the four people at other prem clubs I have spoken to about this, this is what they are doing.

I don’t know what owners are thinking, if I made it look that way (clearly I did) that is on me, didn’t mean to do so.

I will now be clearer in saying that is what I am being told is the plan some clubs will be working to going forward from what I have been told by staff members at other prem clubs
We have a squad of 20 senior players so we’re hardly a million miles off that scenario

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That is a valid viewpoint. Refusing to accept that everything is wonderful and this is as good as it gets is an equally valid viewpoint. A forum is supposed to be about all views being represented and discussed. It seems like you only want to read reinforcement of your own views. You are likely to be sorely disappointed.
If I wished to read reinforcement of my own views I would hardly join a forum. However, constant and predictable moaning at each and every opportunity is tiresome for those who enjoy life and following the ups and downs of a generally successful sporting club.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a squad of 20 senior players so we’re hardly a million miles off that scenario

No we aren’t, but we made a massive mistake in Jan in reducing the number we had and not having them lined up before they went out.

So we actively reduced the headcount on the manager, when he said he knew injuries would go up and didn’t give him what he said he needed.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amused at Mikey Burrows and Thommo towing the party line 'we've got 6 senior forwards, the squad is fine, it's just bad luck'.... are the club really trying to make out Bellegarde is a forward now?!
His other point - the need to come in and improve what we have - isn't valid either. A youth team player has come in and improved on our youth team player. A moot point anyway as O'Neil has disproven his theory with last night's statement.

Regarding the statement, as always the truth is probably in the middle of both sets of entrenched views. O'Neil knew there were constraints before he took the job, but now he's getting a flavour for Fosun's appetite for risk. By making it clear that a deal was in place that he was happy with, but the money men decided they would forgo the deal demonstrates that this wasn't an 'unable to find a player's issue, it's an unwillingness to reward the good work done so far and push on because the pre-season aims are essentially achieved.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects morale. I can't see it improving it.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is Oneil getting in his version of events first, so that the fans know very clearly where the problem lies,
and why the total fiasco of January took place.

It has to be viewed strategically, rather than just venting.

Does that mean forcing the board to invest properly this summer, or does it mean he is signalling that
he is on the way out because of the negligence of the board?

Not quite sure yet, but those are the possibilities.

The fans know where the problem lies, we couldn't afford/justify the signings in January. O'Neil said absolutely nothing we don't already know did he?

He doesn't need to force them, in the last 2 seasons they've spent 271 euros, yes they've recouped a lot to sort out FFP/PSR, but they've historically spent money, we haven't got out of championship mediocrity, to an established premier league club without investment. That's not to say they haven't made mistakes because they have lots of them.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amused at Mikey Burrows and Thommo towing the party line 'we've got 6 senior forwards, the squad is fine, it's just bad luck'.... are the club really trying to make out Bellegarde is a forward now?!
His other point - the need to come in and improve what we have - isn't valid either. A youth team player has come in and improved on our youth team player. A moot point anyway as O'Neil has disproven his theory with last night's statement.

Regarding the statement, as always the truth is probably in the middle of both sets of entrenched views. O'Neil knew there were constraints before he took the job, but now he's getting a flavour for Fosun's appetite for risk. By making it clear that a deal was in place that he was happy with, but the money men decided they would forgo the deal demonstrates that this wasn't an 'unable to find a player's issue, it's an unwillingness to reward the good work done so far and push on because the pre-season aims are essentially achieved.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects morale. I can't see it improving it.

Thommo and mikey work for the club directly, of course they will tow the party line…….

You don’t **** where you eat!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the few million we didn't spend on a striker in Jan can be added to whatever we have to spend in the summer it was probably the right decision, even with hindsight. £20m goes a lot further than £15m.

Of course we'll never truly know.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is what it is now, it’s gone. We can only hope that we do back the manager in the summer, I don’t want to hear excuses. It is there in black and white directly from Jeff Shi that we will be able to do something in the summer window, so let’s hope that actually turns out to be the case.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An extra 2 pages of comments on this thread since yesterday. I was confident before reading who the majority of them would be from, some posters on here are as predictable as the British weather. Disappear after victories but spamming quicker than a 1940s housewife after a loss
We didn't lose. And the comments are unrelated to the result, but to the manager's post match comments about squad depth.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is what it is now, it’s gone. We can only hope that we do back the manager in the summer, I don’t want to hear excuses. It is there in black and white directly from Jeff Shi that we will be able to do something in the summer window, so let’s hope that actually turns out to be the case.
I'm sure we'll be able to do "something" but with his track record it will be the absolute bare minimum to hopefully stay up, anything better will be a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom