Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Whole of the Ball Over the Whole of the Line

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the Lionesses game i've just seen numerous instances of the lino flagging the ball out when it's literally just part of the ball out. I've always considered the application of this rule to be one of the great mysteries of football. Perhaps those that have refereed or even played the game to a good standard on here can give some insight. Is it one of those inconsistencies that is just shrugged off as nobody considers it that important? Clearly goals are scored as a result of them.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the Lionesses game i've just seen numerous instances of the lino flagging the ball out when it's literally just part of the ball out. I've always considered the application of this rule to be one of the great mysteries of football. Perhaps those that have refereed or even played the game to a good standard on here can give some insight. Is it one of those inconsistencies that is just shrugged off as nobody considers it that important? Clearly goals are scored as a result of them.

There's still loads of little errors like this in the game that are almost impossible to police and get right.

Could they end up allowing play to continue, then if a goal came from it, go back and review if it was a throw-in or not? Another way of ruining goal celebrations I suppose!

Another one is corners and goal-kicks. There's still so many that are incorrectly awarded and again, a lot of goals result from the corners that should have been goal kicks.

No doubt the way AI and tech is progressing, it won't be long before we maybe have a more foolproof method of getting to the correct decision, with a hawk-eye style line camera.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you raise a good point where officials are much too keen to conclude that the ball is out of play. I have been thinking on numerous occasion's over the last few years that linesmen and referees have been much too quick to call a ball out of play. As you say the whole of the ball has to be over the line. You can see from the placement of the ball at corners that this means the ball although you can see all of the line can still be on the line and in play.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often think at least 10 times a game that very thing - that the whole of the ball hasnt gone out. Remembering the goal in the WC where it was given (Japan??) and how far the ball actually looked out at first viewing.

I do think they give a lot of throw ins where the ball hasnt crossed the line fully.

Made me laugh watching the Liverpool Chealsea game at the Weekend - Lino didnt give it out on the far side (couldnt see from the camera angle whether it was out or not) - But Van dyke was going mad at the lino afterwards (oddly no booking - despite neto getting booked for wagging his finger!!)
Funny thing was Van Dyke was in the middle of the pitch at the time and ran over to cover and there was no way on earth that he could actually know whether it was out or not.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you raise a good point where officials are much too keen to conclude that the ball is out of play. I have been thinking on numerous occasion's over the last few years that linesmen and referees have been much too quick to call a ball out of play. As you say the whole of the ball has to be over the line. You can see from the placement of the ball at corners that this means the ball although you can see all of the line can still be on the line and in play.
Great point made about corners.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes noticed that one in real time, no way on earth that was whole of the ball whole of the line.
Tech-assisted lines seems a very simple solution, until factor in the use of multi ball.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thing for me is that, much as I hate some of the technology, at least it's fair. When they show the ball 2mm over the line I wonder if it can really be that accurate, but I never wonder if the computer checked who was conceding the goal.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same technology as goal line , so easily done.

You say it's easily done, but the length of the lines, the lack of goalposts to attach the cameras to, plus the amount of traffic on those lines compared to the goal-line, probably makes it a lot more complicated.

Even the goal-line cameras aren't perfect. Remember when Villa stayed up because there were too many players in the way?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The problem with throw ins is that the AR is generally staring at the line a slight distance away as opposed to having an aerial view .As for a corner so along as the curvature of the ball breaks the plane of the line it is permissible .

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just use a corner « spot »no line…….sorted

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just do what they have in tennis and have someone shout "NO" really loud when it's over the line. The crowd may drown them out so give them a megaphone and put them on stilts so they get a good view. We have the technology.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's not an issue tbh. It only becomes an issue if from the resultant cross they score - then it definitely would be an issue!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's another case of trying to apply rules beyond a humans ability to perceive things.

I just find it daft that rules are only "properly" applied if something material happens as a result after them but the rest of the time it's fine. Rules should be applied consistently regardless of the immediate outcome.

The "butterfly effect" can mean even seemingly inconsequential "wrong" decisions can have very big implications.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's another case of trying to apply rules beyond a humans ability to perceive things.

I just find it daft that rules are only "properly" applied if something material happens as a result after them but the rest of the time it's fine. Rules should be applied consistently regardless of the immediate outcome.

The "butterfly effect" can mean even seemingly inconsequential "wrong" decisions can have very big implications.
I just think that the linesmen are lazy and just give it as out if even a fraction of the ball goes over the line.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I just think that the linesmen are lazy and just give it as out if even a fraction of the ball goes over the line.
Makes me laugh when they microanalyse the ball in the corner quadrant, looking straight down to see if some is overhanging the line. Then they're supposed to be able to tell when it's swinging 20 yards in the air down the line.

Gornal

Reaction score
With the goal line system, when they show the final still image of the ball why is it a computer generated picture and not an actual camera image of the ball? Who tells the computer what to draw?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You were there in the turnstiles, with the wind at your heels,
You stretched for the stars, and you know how it feels,
To reach too high,
Too far,
Too soon,
You saw the whole of the ball over the whole of the line...

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can see from the placement of the ball at corners that this means the ball although you can see all of the line can still be on the line and in play.

Always gets me how the lino's make such a performance of checking the placement of the ball at corners.... yet if it's over the other side of the pitch away from the lino, the player could put it clearly outside the arc and no-one would notice or care.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sod it, just fit a light guard type system to the goal posts and corner flag, ball breaks the line and it alerts, if the ball continues to pass through then the system becomes whole again and cancels the alert, let's go full techno whacko.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have too much VAR technology involved already. Goal line tech? Always been in favor.

Now we're worried about reviewing boundary calls ... for throw-ins?? Have we not learned yet???

Back
Top Bottom