Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who is the worst player to wear the shirt?

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been done before, but I was thinking who is the worst player you've ever seen in the gold and black?

I'll open the bidding with Robert Taylor. Overweight, unfit and mostly injured he came with a hefty price tag and expectation to deliver goals. He didn't even look like a professional footballer, never mind the big hope!

There's plenty more I can think of but I'll open it up to the floor ...

S

ShropshireLad

Luzhny and Eggert Johansonn (a Moxey purchase/investment, I've been told) in recent(ish) years but Tommy Doc played a few who've gone out of memory.

D

Deleted member 4456

Gladon literally looked like the second coming of Ali Dia against Burton. Utter rubbish. We've had some dreadful players but he deserves a mention.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mike Small was pretty ****, but a few of the current crop could run him close

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
You beat me to it with Blobby.
I will give you a few other contenders
Claridge Frankowski Corica Coleman Slater Thetis and Mike Small.
Take your pick out of that pile of crap .

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mike Small was pretty ****, but a few of the current crop could run him close
I was just going to say him mate, can't even remember who we were playing I was in Steve bull standing think but he was so bad he was cheered all the way off the pitch by the whole of molineaux

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I was just going to say him mate, can't even remember who we were playing I was in Steve bull standing think but he was so bad he was cheered all the way off the pitch by the whole of molineaux
I remember him 'scoring' vs Bolton away (or was it Preston). Chased the keeper on a backpass and took one full on. Pretty sure we won 0:1.

Reaction score
You beat me to it with Blobby.
I will give you a few other contenders
Claridge Frankowski Corica Coleman Slater Thetis and Mike Small.
Take your pick out of that pile of crap .

You can see why some managers are destined for the lower reaches of management when You look back at some of McGhee's decisions.
Claridge,Corica( Not 100% sure ),Slater etc. in the line up v Arsenal ( FA Cup Semi Final ) whilst Bull and Robbie Keane are on the bench!
Slater actually looked a cut above the rest,but that was when I saw him for N.S.W. against Queensland back in the 80's!

S

ShropshireLad

Luzhny and Eggert Johansonn (a Moxey purchase/investment, I've been told) in recent(ish) years but Tommy Doc played a few who've gone out of memory.
Ryan was one that played under the Doc five times and I remember seeing him being subbed at Fulham after about 12 minutes and it wasn't because of an injury. :eek::oops: I've just seen it was his final start - he came on once more as sub late in the season. :cool:

Herbert, the following season made eight games and I saw one of them - the first match of the season at Brentford although he had quite a few under the Doc so some might remember him.

Biggins had four games and I saw two of them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been done before, but I was thinking who is the worst player you've ever seen in the gold and black?

I'll open the bidding with Robert Taylor. Overweight, unfit and mostly injured he came with a hefty price tag and expectation to deliver goals. He didn't even look like a professional footballer, never mind the big hope!

I am sure this subject has been debated before but FWIW I 100% agree with your choice of Robert Taylor.
He would have been a complete waste of money at £50K yet alone the £1.5M we wasted on him. :(

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kevin Ashley
Peter Zelem
Taylor

Roger Eli
Darren Ferguson
Steve Sedgley

Luzhny
Claridge
Frankowski
Corica
Frank Nouble

Eggert Jónsson
Kaspars Gorkss
Silvio
OHara
Roger Johnson
We have had some real crap above is just a flavour ( my opinion ) - Its not that they were just rubbish - in some cases it involves their attitude personality and how much we wasted on them . There are plenty of others !

wyrley wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Too many to mention but Darren Peacock, Rohan Ricketts, Maurice Ross, Neil Collins, Jemal Johnson, Darren Potter, Carlos Edwards, Nigel Quashie, Marcus Bent, Jake Cassidy, Jermaine Pennant to name but a few!

T

Truckawolf

Ray Hankin, Scott Mcgarvey, Willie Raines, Darren Simkiss, Paul Jones. I could name lots more but I will leave them for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4456

Gorkss literally had the turning circle of a cruise liner. Plus one for him.

D

Deleted member 3604

Have to put all of this into context as we've had some quite average players who were and are almost legendary. For me it's the hope that kills so big disappointments for me are the likes of Olofinjana, Rohan Ricketts, Michael Branch and the Korean Beckham we had for a while.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My dad always said Lewis Botto was the worst player he had ever seen. My Dad watched the Wolves from 1924 for 70 years. Botto (what a name!) was I understand a goal keeper, about 5 feet 6 inches tall and short sighted- not a great recommendation for a goalkeeper.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
This old chestnut. In my time, no one has ever been as bad as Paul Jones- not the goalie, but the curly-haired ex-Walsall captain (so-called midfielder) that Graham Turner signed in 1987 I think. He couldn't run, pass, tackle, defend, attack, or head the ball. I am sure he struggled to actually walk at some games that I watched him in. Absolutely shocking- never seen anyone as bad in my life.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Most Unfit - Blobby or Ray Hankin
Most Over-Hyped - Siggy
Most Limited - Campbell Chapman
Worst Attitude - Either of the ex-Bluenoses Johnson or Gallagher
Biggest Continental Let-Down - Silas or Sami Al-Jabar
The Worst "How the Hell Did He Get in Over Bully" - Claridge
The Quickest Fall From Grace - Dave Thomas
The Worst Teflon Gloved Goalkeeper - Tony Lange
Biggest Powder Puff Defender - Greg Halford
And Finally The One Who Never Lived Up To His Billing - Zeli Ismail

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
As a kid, there was nothing more disappointing than John Paskin or Paul McClaughlin deputising for Bull or Mutch when they were unavailable...
Wigan away when both were on England Duty. And when Tim Steele deputised for Robbie, Robbie, Dennison at the same time

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Corica was an utter waste of space. Worst keeper was Alan Boswell.

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
Neil Collins - Yep he was crap but there's been many more worthy of the accolade!

Last edited:

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to remember the old greats, some in the present squad similar to those.

D

Deleted member 4152

This old chestnut. In my time, no one has ever been as bad as Paul Jones- not the goalie, but the curly-haired ex-Walsall captain (so-called midfielder) that Graham Turner signed in 1987 I think. He couldn't run, pass, tackle, defend, attack, or head the ball. I am sure he struggled to actually walk at some games that I watched him in. Absolutely shocking- never seen anyone as bad in my life.
He was in my year at school. He was a class above anyone else, just shows a. How hard it is to be a professional and b. How ****e the rest of us were!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who remembers Paul Jones that we signed from Walsall - he of the highlighted mullet.

Simon Coleman that we took on loan from someone (Bolton maybe?) he was utterly useless.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
As a kid, there was nothing more disappointing than John Paskin or Paul McClaughlin deputising for Bull or Mutch when they were unavailable...
I saw Paul McLaughlin score 2 goals away at Blackburn in a 3-2 win in 1989. Great day that was. I have the video of it still to this day. We were such a long ball team under Turner when you watch it again- real Wimbledon-esque stuff. All it is, is either Thommo, Venus or Bellamy thumping it 50 yards up the field in the desperate hope of Mutch or McLaughlin getting a knock-on. Real 1980's stuff.

Back
Top Bottom