Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Which one position in the team...

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
...would you prioritise strengthening for a promotion push in the Championship next season? And who would you attempt to sign in order to strengthen it.

I'm going to go with centre-midfield and as Frimpong briefly showed us the difference that a dynamic box-to-box midfielder can make, I am going to choose him as my (admittedly unlikely) prime target. Followed by Jacob Butterfield (if he also recovers from injury) and Nick Powell.

Over to you guys...

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Centre half for me.

I would like us to go in for Ryan Nelson who is now at spurs and is a strong power house of a defender and can help lead us from the back.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Centre half for me.

I would like us to go in for Ryan Nelson who is now at spurs and is a strong power house of a defender and can help lead us from the back.

That's a good shout for me Bugsy. I'm guessing wages would be a problem but he would be just the type of centre-half we need. Big, physical and a natural leader. Would also provide the experience and organisational skills that we have lacked since Craddock's injuries.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CM. Both our defence and forward line would look much more effective if we weren't so light on talent there. A Frimpong type would be amazing, of course. As to realistic targets....I'm completely bereft of serious suggestions from English-based players.

F

FLEET WOLF

Even our defence might be okish in the Chump-I think we are in need of goals from midfield to supplement what our strikers may get, so I think we need a goalscoring midfielder to play behind the strikers. Of course, we don't yet know who is leaving and who is staying-if we lose Fletcher, which is almost certainly the case, then we need a striker-unlike some on here, I am not convinced that SEB will do what he did 4 years ago in that league

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Well I believe we are good enough for the Chump. Midfield with Gueds and O'Hara along side Henry/Davis should be fine, but to cover for possible injury issues we could need someone who can provide an attacking threat.

Maybe we should get shot of RoJo and bring in a 'talent' with PL potential.....no idea who it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even our defence might be okish in the Chump-I think we are in need of goals from midfield to supplement what our strikers may get, so I think we need a goalscoring midfielder to play behind the strikers. Of course, we don't yet know who is leaving and who is staying-if we lose Fletcher, which is almost certainly the case, then we need a striker-unlike some on here, I am not convinced that SEB will do what he did 4 years ago in that league

If we manage to keep the majority of our side I think we'll score a LOT of goals next season.

With confidence running high, we will tear a lot of the teams apart with the pace of our wingers.......if they stay that is.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difficult one. If it was the Prem I would say centre back but Batth, Stearman, Berra and Elokobi would be fine at this level. Right back we have Doherty and Foley so in the defensive areas I would say it is vital to get a left back. Not a makeshift fullback or centre half/fullback but a proper mobile pacy fullback.

For a second choice I would refer to Martin Swain's article where he feels that we need to change our style. Like Solskjaer said he had done at Molde we need to be able to play through the middle not just down the flanks. We have the players to do this but not the manager to date who will implement this approach. The main change we would need to make is to move Jarvis from the left wing. He should be more of a striker or a right winger. We need someone on the left who can cross the ball with their left foot. That wouold be my second choice.

The right flank has been decent of late but Jarvis and ward have been very poor down the left. This is our weak area. If any players leave such as Fletcher or Milijas then they should be replaced appropriately. Butterfield for midfiled is a very good shout.

D

Deleted member 3751

Centre half, not one for the future but Sylvan Distin would sort out the back line.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We despeartly need to sort central defence out and need an old head to teach and lead.
I'd go for Richard Dunne who would probably be available next season.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it has to be the midfield. Regardless of who's here, it needs strengthening massively.
Hopefully Gued can be the person to fill this because our midfield has been lacking for years. Lack of movement, lack of pace, lack of assists, lack of goals really & a general lack of creativity.

Also LB & CB are areas that need sorting too.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Center Half we have not sorted this position out for years

M

Monkey Man

Manager, the team is good enough to get out with the RIGHT manager, with the wrong one we will be Boro.

J

JR's Boots

Left Back for me. The biggest hole in our sieve like defence.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 proper midfielders.

I mean 2 that can both defend well and can attack well as well. Having players with limitations restricts our play so much.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
left back for me - number 1 priority

I think Ward should be ok in the championship, if we get promoted though we will definitely need to strengthen here.

It's difficult to judge where we need strengthening yet. If fletcher goes I think up front should be a priority as I doubt SEB will be as effective as he was in promotion season.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A central midfielder who is good on the ball.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Has to be a centre back, one that can keep the whole defence together as a unit and has the ability to command discipline. Who that is I just don’t know, and it's highly unlikely we will be spend the kind of money to get such a player anyway.

Nero wolf

Reaction score
Creative midfield role for me..provided we go 4-4-2 in the Chumpionship.
JOH hasn´t cut it..no other have either.We have struggled here since DJs season when we won promotion.
Absolutely vital we win the midfield battles in the Chumpionship.If we don´t,then there is nooo way we go up.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Midfield is a big issue for us. It is one of the main reasons we have been so poor this season in my opinion.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Centre back to start with without a doubt to provide a bit of a backbone. Ryan Nelsen has been mentioned from Spurs. I can't see him playing that many games for them and he would be a good captain.

Also agree with earlier threads about centre midfield and left back.

How about Danny Murphy from Fulham and Raphael on loan from Man U.

W

WasStefan

The people in this thread who are suggesting premier league players really need to wind in their expectations.

For me, we need to strengthen left back, and a pacey midfielder. We should keep Milijas for next year, he could run the Championship.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The people in this thread who are suggesting premier league players really need to wind in their expectations.

Nelsen and Murphy appear to be the only 2 premier league players mentioned!

They are in their 30's with the experience we need: maybe not young and hungry but players who will get little playing time in the big league. Remember West Ham bought Kevin Nolan (Newcastle) and Matt Taylor (Bolton) when they were relegated and they are at least in the playoffs.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Centre half for me.

CB without doubt.

We need a leader at the back.

Completely agree. It's amazing how much a good leading centre back gives a team stablity. All good teams need a good commanding, organising centre back. I'd be very happy with Nelson, though I'd prefer someone who is a bit more of a ball player as well as a good reader of the game, someone who can time challenges well and is good in the air along with vocal. Bit too much to ask there though, maybe!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For me, we need to strengthen left back, and a pacey midfielder. We should keep Milijas for next year, he could run the Championship.

Why not Guedioura who is already running the midfield for Forest in nearly every game he plays?

B

Bostin

Depends what football philosophy the new manager has. If he plays hoofball, we need a target man like Iwelumo. Maybe Jordan Rhodes?

If we're going to pass it around, we need new centre backs who are able to 'play'.

One thing we will need regardless is a pacey striker who plays on the shoulder of the last man (Maynard?), and a midfielder like Edwards who can get beyond the strikers.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends what football philosophy the new manager has. If he plays hoofball, we need a target man like Iwelumo. Maybe Jordan Rhodes?

If we're going to pass it around, we need new centre backs who are able to 'play'.

One thing we will need regardless is a pacey striker who plays on the shoulder of the last man (Maynard?), and a midfielder like Edwards who can get beyond the strikers.

Re midfielder who can get beyond the striker, Guedioura?

B

Bostin

Re midfielder who can get beyond the striker, Guedioura?

Absolutely! I love the bloke, really hope he stays. Baffles me why Duracell Dave gets a game over him, but it's been done to death so I'll shut up about it!

J

Jarvo for England

Depends who goes, assuming no one then our midfield is more than good enough, in fact with a decent defence it would be ok in the prem. we need a centre half and a man who can coach them! Then when we go up we will need to replace the both full backs. Only Berra can do a job in the prem and thats even a close call

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Centre Half as an absolute priority.

Longer term though, a central defender, attacking central midfielder, a new left back, and definately one (possibly even two) strikers are essential.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looking around the squad and we should be competetive in the champ. That may change depending on who leaves, but still...
I'm looking at the spine. It's been weak all season and though it might be good enough in the champ, give me pace. So, if I can only choose one, on the basis that Fletcher may well leave, I go for a pacey, strong forward.

Coleshill Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Has to be a centre half for me as well. Nelson and Dunne have been mentioned and I wouldnt have a problem with either. Curtis Davies could also do a job - if Blues don't go up - maybe he could car share with Hughton if the rumours of a financial meltdown are correct if they fail to go up....

I had this discussion the other day and it's ok saying so and so could do a job in the championship, but if we go up, they are harder to get shot of, bring in the new broom and bring in a bit of experience to mix in with the youth and the quality players we manage to keep...

The mediocre players - get shot now while we can

W

WasStefan

Nelsen and Murphy appear to be the only 2 premier league players mentioned!

They are in their 30's with the experience we need: maybe not young and hungry but players who will get little playing time in the big league. Remember West Ham bought Kevin Nolan (Newcastle) and Matt Taylor (Bolton) when they were relegated and they are at least in the playoffs.
If I were you I'd lower my expectations. We will not be doing what West Ham did.

Why not Guedioura who is already running the midfield for Forest in nearly every game he plays?
Fair point!

Last edited by a moderator:

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always felt that, in the centre of defence, we've always worked better with an "old-fashioned" no-nonsense central defender - and a more "modern" central defender that can bring the ball out of the box.

That worked best for us when we had players like Richards, Curle, De Wolf, and perhaps even Lescott.

At the moment, I feel that all of our central defenders have very similar attributes - and all of them lack that real solid, physical presence.

I reckon we'd work much better with a no-nonsense Keith Curle-esque player, playing alongside an Emblen-esque character that isn't afraid to come out of the box to start attacking from the back.

Back
Top Bottom