Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Where are the goals going to come from?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On restart I think Costa might spring a surprise. He actually looked like he was getting into his grove against Brentford, grabbing at straws, but he got beyond their defence and tested there keeper twice. Not many times has a forward player done that for..... infact, I genuinely cannot think of a time a forward of ours has for as far back as I can remember. Raul against Bournemouth maybe with the one chance he fluffed.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just hoping Lopetegui gets us to move the ball more quickly and be more adventurous with our passing.

We just seem so slow and ponderous when attacking allowing the opposition defence to set up their shape.

On the occasions where players do make a run between the lines either our players don’t seem to see the run or don’t have the confidence to make the pass so just make the safe easy sideways pass and then remain static.
I totally agree incisive movement in the final third, rhythm, self belief, desire, understanding. These are the things we need to introduce into our forward play rather than just chucking another player or two into the squad. This is where decent coaching and hard work will hopefully make a difference.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent OP. This is the most concerning part of our situation by a country mile.
I see a team that can act as an integrated defending unit , but not an integrated attacking unit.
To me every midfielder we have is a far better defensive midfielder , than attacking midfielder. That includes Nunes and B.Traore
We need very strong characters that will drag our team up the pitch. And some new effective attackers.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Partnerships between players? At our peak, we had partnerships all over the pitch. Players who knew how to work with their team mates. Raul-Jota, the obvious one. But also, Jota-Jonny (worked so well together, when one moving inside, the other outside). Adama-Doc (Doc understood Adama better than any other player).

Those 3 pairs gave us movement across the full width and could turn defence into attack in an instant. There were others though, even back to Cav & Costa days. Neves could pick out wing backs and also Jota, and so on.

How these are formed, I don't know, with Raul & Jota, it did take time, also the change to a 3-5-2 sparked it. Sometimes player chemistry just doesn't work. Semedo/Adama, for example, it isn't for lack of trying, they must have played dozens of matches together and still there is no understanding.

Hopefully Lopetegui can discover something in our forwards that has been missed by the previous managers. At the moment, it's all very much individual. Given that many of these players have played many matches now, with little sign of any intuitive understanding, they may be a chance that there is something that a good manager can identify and get working. Nuno brought out improvements in several players that had not been seen previously, based on how they worked with the players around them, so it can be done.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an interesting and well-argued thread.

On balance, although I can see the value of a 12-month loan, Fabiolous back for me if JL thinks so and will play him alongside Costa in a 4 3 1 2/4 3 3, or 3 5 2.

Podence and Guedes to play in the front 3 or behind a central 2 if we go 3 at the back (with proper WBs, ie well advanced).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a proper striker maybe see if we can sign Zain Flemming from Millwall cheap 5/6m and scoring lots of goals very young too would stay with us if we go down

Fran Navarro - 8 goals in liga nos so far for Gil Vicente

As for big names we’re not going to attract by being bottom of the league

Costa offered some improvements

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent OP. This is the most concerning part of our situation by a country mile.
I see a team that can act as an integrated defending unit , but not an integrated attacking unit.
To me every midfielder we have is a far better defensive midfielder , than attacking midfielder. That includes Nunes and B.Traore

It's amazing how that has been the case for so long! I thought Nunes was a midfielder who could get the team up the pitch, but seems operating in the final 3rd isn't his strength. Same as for just about everybody else in our squad. Though if Forest go down and we stay up, they have this promising young attacking midfielder we could perhaps buy off them?

We need very strong characters that will drag our team up the pitch. And some new effective attackers.
We do. Are they in the squad or is it back to gambling on new transfers? It's not as if we haven't tried, more that we seem completely unable to get the inarguable 100% improvements on existing/previous that we need. They turn up with a fanfare, but after a while, look no more effective than the likes of Cav & Costa. It keeps happening and that is why we've fallen from 7th to 20th.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all Wolves fans this is still the elephant in the room / Molineux Stadium and games away this season..
Over half way through the season 20 games and only 12 goals..
Is JL going to finally solve this problem soon??

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Err why did we resurrect ANOTHER thread about the same thing?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all Wolves fans this is still the elephant in the room / Molineux Stadium and games away this season..
Over half way through the season 20 games and only 12 goals..
Is JL going to finally solve this problem soon??
Christ I hope so. Right now I’m not confident we could comfortably win our next batch of games. We may win some but we usually look like we’ll concede late in the game for a draw or a loss.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang Jimenez Traore will produce nothing....

Jimenez and Cunha as partnership up front might work but Raul still looks half the player he was.

Podence is the only player who seems to have a goal in him....all 5 ft.5 inches of him.

Sarabia is one hope if he gets up to speed but not a striker as such, more a No.10 or winger.

Cunha himself has no great scoring record to boast.....

Costa as pretty statuesque ageing striker will rarely frighten defenders these days. Can at least hold the ball up for others - if it ever gets to him.

So the cupboard is pretty bare unless our midfield boys start becoming regular goal threats......or we find that elusive striker by Feb 1.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ I hope so. Right now I’m not confident we could comfortably win our next batch of games. We may win some but we usually look like we’ll concede late in the game for a draw or a loss.
Exactly @VancouverWolf we may scrape through a 1-0 win like against West Ham again before the end of the season but are we going to have a 3-0 comfortable win before the end of the season is the issue now with all the good players we have on paper at the club??

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness, maybe if jeff reads it he'll finally realise we need a striker. You never know.

We should start another one too. And a spare.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lack of attacking intent game after game is a huge problem. We have a group of central midfield players who hardly ever score, two no9's who dont score, wingers who dont score, apart from Podence. Full backs who hardly ever score, apart from RAN in recent weeks.

Set up with a 4231 with all of our new signings playing and a new no9 then we may see better. Stick with Hwang, Adama, Raul and Costa with Moutinho and Neves in the same midfield then it is little wonder we are so poor at scoring goals.

I very much hope all our new additions will be starting against Liverpool along with a new no9. If not then it will be concerning to say the least as we wont be scoring many goals at all with a starting line up of yesterdays game.

Reactions: Ned

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
12 goals all season?!….genuinely criminal and in any other career these players would be getting the sack! Got me asking the following questions….

1. When was the last time we scored from a corner?
2. When was the last time we scored from a cross into the box?
3. When was the last time one of our strikers made a run in behind instead of to feet?
4. When was the last time one of our strikers scored a 1 on 1?
5. Why can’t anybody seem to be able to shoot on target from distance anymore?
6. When was the last time a centre back chipped in with a goal?
7. When was the last time Adama did anything of note?
8. When was the last time we had a genuine number 10 playmaker type player in the side?
9. When was the last time we played well for a whole 90 minutes?
10. When did we last witness a comfortable victory?….

Probably more questions too but genuinely despair that I’m struggling to remember the answer to pretty much all of those questions! Ivan Toney has more goals than the whole of our team?….WTF?!

Quote Reply
Report •••

BoldItalicMore options…

Insert linkInsert imageMore options…
UndoMore options…
Preview

Font sizeText colorFont familyListAlignment
  • Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text
Paragraph formatStrike-throughUnderlineInline spoilerInline code
SmiliesQuoteMediaInsert tableInsert horizontal lineSpoilerCode
RedoToggle BB codeRemove formattingDrafts

Write your reply...
Attach files Insert quotes…
ERR_There is no active subscription for this account. Login to add a subscription.
ERR_There is no active subscription for this account. Login to add a subscription.

Online statistics​

Members online171Guests online177Total visitors348
Totals may include hidden visitors.

Forum statistics​

Threads611,702Messages5,104,131Members2,690Latest memberSir Ron
Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-2022 XenForo Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by XenForo add-ons from DragonByte™©2011-2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)

TopBottom

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quote Reply
Report •••

BoldItalicMore options…

UndoMore options…
Preview

• Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text

Write your reply...

Online statistics​

Forum statistics​

Parts of this site powered by XenForo add-ons from DragonByte™©2011-2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)

TopBottom

I think you've malfunctioned and need rebooting.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
12 goals all season?!….genuinely criminal and in any other career these players would be getting the sack! Got me asking the following questions….

3. When was the last time one of our strikers made a run in behind instead of to feet?
8. When was the last time we had a genuine number 10 playmaker type player in the side?

Probably more questions too but genuinely despair that I’m struggling to remember the answer to pretty much all of those questions! Ivan Toney has more goals than the whole of our team?….WTF?!

Quote Reply
Report •••

BoldItalicMore options…

UndoMore options…
Preview

• Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text

Write your reply...

Online statistics​

Forum statistics​

TopBottom
Mate, you've gone full matrix.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to be more creative shoot on sight policy?? Especially for Neves… We need more goals.

Try playing corners short and shooting from the angle?

Use width for Podence and Sarabia?

Ultimately we don’t get enough bodies in the box.

Neves is a great passer but he does hinder us with his very once pace type of player. Hence why he’s so deep.

4-5-1 would offer us good wing play if we can get extra bodies into the box by also overloading the midfield unfortunately Moutinho slow Neves slow and Lemina slow mean we have to try and counter attack teams like we did under Nuno

What concerns me the most is being able to keep the ball for longer than 1 min. We either play ourselves into trouble and fail to retain the ball or it goes out of play. This is very very poor. We give away possession of the ball so cheaply and don’t really work that hard to win it back.

If we have the ball the opposition can’t score unless your name is Jose Sa. But short narrow passing and then switching the play to launch a counter attack is a strength we should be exposing this with Neves range getting the slower players forward to score rather than containing a 1-0 score line

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One from a bloke who has left.
One from a bloke most people don't want in the team.
One from a bloke not likely to play again for a while.
It's the difference having an extra attacker on the field makes. Suddenly they aren't all on there own. The goals weren't exactly great, but the pressure was there and the ball fell to us rather than the opposition.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since lopetegui came in we've score 4 in the last 5 in the PL, which includes games against City & Utd. We also put 3 past Liverpool in the cup.

It's weird that suddenly we need a big # 9 and have no goals in us, but only since we didn't score against City.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the difference having an extra attacker on the field makes. Suddenly they aren't all on there own. The goals weren't exactly great, but the pressure was there and the ball fell to us rather than the opposition.

It doesn't necessarily need to be an attacking player, it's just about how you work that extra player into the attack.

We used to do this very well with Jonny and Doherty supplementing our attacking numbers by getting into the opposition box.

Watch all our goals back from this season - it won't take long. The majority of goals start from out wide, either a pass into the channel, with an underlap, or an overlap.

After almost every goal we've scored, there's at least 3 Wolves players in the opposition box.

It doesn't matter which of those players has scored the goal or not, even for goals like Neves's shots from the edge, or Adama cutting in and volleying a worldie, or Podence winning a penalty, the players in the box are occupying space and occupying opposition defenders, allowing the event leading to the goal to happen.

So a very simplistic answer to the OP's question is that the goals are going to come from committing players forward and getting more players in the oppositions box, more often!

As an aside, watching some of our earlier games, it's very easy to forget how good Neto is. Driving at players, picking out passes. Can't wait to see him back in a Wolves shirt.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A big old fashioned no. 9 would be preferential and allay some concerns of mine but I am curious what a frontline of Podence, Cunha and Sarabia can do.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think the goalscoring thing is blown out of all proportion with regards to blame. Our main issue is the quality of production and until the last month or so, how the midfield operated. Start playing our best forward players and get bodies forward and we will score more goals, simple as that

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Quote Reply
Report •••

BoldItalicMore options…

UndoMore options…
Preview

• Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text

Write your reply...

Online statistics​

Forum statistics​

TopBottom
Red pill or blue pill?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think the goalscoring thing is blown out of all proportion with regards to blame. Our main issue is the quality of production and until the last month or so, how the midfield operated. Start playing our best forward players and get bodies forward and we will score more goals, simple as that
I remember you saying that at the start of the season and all! I hope you are right, but I'm yet to be convinced.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since lopetegui came in we've score 4 in the last 5 in the PL, which includes games against City & Utd. We also put 3 past Liverpool in the cup.

It's weird that suddenly we need a big # 9 and have no goals in us, but only since we didn't score against City.

While an improvement, 4 in 5 still isn't enough. We really shouldn't relying on clinging to 1 goal leads. Even the top teams make mistakes or get caught and concede a goal. The difference is, they know they will most likely score one or two. We aren't even scoring a goal a game *still*. We aren't creating much, either. There's been a couple of really well taken goals by Podence in recent matches, it needs the others to chip in with the same, not be dependent on Podence scoring semi-worldies, because as we know, that won't happen more than once every few matches.

I'm not sure we need a "Big 9" anyway. Just a "goalscorer". Messi would do and he's not big :D But we are a team that plays out wide and delivers speculative crosses in. Midfield don't get forward to help out attack. We lack height and physical presence all around the team. He may not need to be "Big" , but will need to be strong in the air (eg Jota was not big, but is strong in the air) and able to hold off defenders and with a powerful shot on him.

It's not just the nil v city, it's that we still aren't creating anything much even against the poorest teams in the division.

Back
Top Bottom