Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

When losing this season!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone behind in 15 games, lost 14, won 1 (Villa).

Wow, though Everton clearly know something we don't, as they have won 12 points after falling behind. Don't you wish we were like Everton, clearly a better managed club that knows how to turn a one goal deficit around? And Man City have only won a pathetic 2 points more than us. How on earth do they ever expect success with an awful record like that?

Is there an award for finding the "Table we are bottom in and sharing it with other misery guts"?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely shocking. Used to be one of our strong points too. A lot of that, imo, is down to Lage's inability to change things during the game.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, though Everton clearly know something we don't, as they have won 12 points after falling behind. Don't you wish we were like Everton, clearly a better managed club that knows how to turn a one goal deficit around? And Man City have only won a pathetic 2 points more than us. How on earth do they ever expect success with an awful record like that?

Is there an award for finding the "Table we are bottom in and sharing it with other misery guts"?
Context is king. Know what your trying to do but that even Everton are able to turn it around more than us is actually more damning than what you are trying aim for, plus the City one is pretty obvious heh, they don't concede first.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So wheres the coaching? Are you trying to tell me that these players are unable to play any other system or be coached in any other way.

All down to the manager.
To a degree Im saying they are best suited and used to playing a particular way, with some variation. Think Bruno would go more attacking/ take the game to the opposition with different player’s, but unlike Staal he’s pragmatic enough to know he also needs to get results and will set the team up the best way to do that even if in sometimes that is playing more defensively. Staal wanted to play his way and hoped he’d be given enough time to get them playing that way even if results were poor on the way. Bruno’s not always got it right and things feel abut stale at the moment, but think with a few quality additions of the right type he can make progress with the team/squad

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This single stat confirms what so many are saying. Bruno’s in game management is atrocious. He has no Plan b and seemingly not just no ability to change things when it’s not working….but no desire to change things.

A few weeks back he criticised hoever…he should look much closer to home when looking for people to criticise.

He does seem an excellent coach but his in-game management changes, not to mention the line-ups, are poor. It's really no surprise we can't come back from a goal down when he waits far too long to make changes then makes bizarre ones.

I also have to be honest. Our best form by far was when hwang was injured. It wasn't a coincidence. Hwang's back in the team, playing abysmally, and doesn't fit in at all. Nothing against him as I do think he has a role to play as a reserve forward, but he just doesn't have the touch to play like the rest of them out wide. He looked at his best when pushed forward with jimenez.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
It does seem strange. It's not that long back where we were never out of a game, abd were in fact reknown for it. Going in 1-0 down was frustrating but i also had belief we would get back into it. We also scored quite a lot at the end of matches. Now it seems like once we are losing, that's it.

In general, as it seemed with Nuno, if our wing-backs are forward and playing well, we play well, but if they are stifled, we suffer. And need to find, i hesitate to say, sokutions for these times.

I think a lot of our success historically against bigger teams is that they try and play their way against us, whilst lower teams look to how to snuff us out. Be that suffocating midfield or pinning us back, it seems to work.

I think at the mo i would prefer back to the first 3 games a season, as i'd prefer missing chances to not creating them.

Things just seem disjointed at the mo

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ummm, do you really need this one explaining?

No. But I would like an explanation of why people put effort into hunting out stats that "prove" we are the worst team in the league and our actual league position is meaningless because "our goalie is too good, so that doesn't count", "our defence was good, so that doesn't count". "It's not that we're better than 12 teams, it's that the league is rubbish this year and they are just worse than us and not as lucky". Oh, but we are worst at getting points when falling behind, now that DOES count. It's the most meaningful stat in the game as everybody who knows anything about football understands. At last, proof that the board, manager and Hwang should all be sacked instantly.

Heaven help us when, as happens to every non-Sky 6 club, we get into a real relegation battle. No doubt the same negative voices will be pleading for the days when Bruno managed our stingy defence and though it was boring, at least we got some points.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the criticism of Bruno is unfair, even if the record is incredibly bad.

It ultimately comes down to the players. We are a team that lacks pace and physicality, so when a team sits deep, which usually happens when you're losing, and we need inspiration, we don't have it.

When we need a player to feed a pass or beat someone, who does it? Traore could do the latter and I don't care if I'm boring people by going on about it, it's crucial to the way we played.

Yes, the problem has been a season-long one, but look at the games Traore played when we fell behind.

Leicester (A) - Absolutely battered them second half, Traore at fault for missing chances, but completely dominated and created chances when trailing.
Spurs (H) - Similar to above but Spurs gave more back. 17 shots in the second half!
United (H) - Same again, quite incredible that we didn't score, nothing wrong with the performance.
Brentford (H) - Truly awful, had a job done on us.
Villa (A) - The one win. Traore central to it as we somehow come back to win.
Palace (A) - Awful again, Traore comes on as a wing-back with 20 minutes to play.
Liverpool (H) - Concede with last kick.
City (A) - Like above, irrelevant to the discussion really as had ten men.

---After Traore---

Arsenal (H) - Pretty clueless against ten men, created very little.
West Ham (A) - Lots of possession, zero real chances.
Palace (H) - Awful, outplayed first half, barely created anything after.
Newcastle (A) - Another toothless display, did nothing.
Burnley (A) - Same again.

I have gone with the 13 times we've conceded first this season (could include Norwich to back the point up further in the cup), when we need to take the initiative and become the aggressor.

It's quite clear that without Traore we cannot do it. We have barely had a chance of note in those last five games after falling behind. It's mental.

Yet, with Traore, we complete our one comeback, which he was key to, and we play very well against United, Spurs & Leicester.

When you take into account he came on for 20 minutes as a wing-back against Palace, you could argue we have only had one bad game in five (Brentford) when Traore played in his proper position and we fell behind. Compare that to now.

So, this still remains one of the worst decisions I've ever seen from a football club. It would have been bad enough selling him for £20m at that stage of the season but to give him away for free was just so stupid.

Anyway, for solutions, we need to play Chiquinho more. He is someone who has that pace and unpredictability. He's nowhere near as good as Traore but he looks alright. When you're playing against a deep defensive line and packed defences, you need someone who can beat a man, speed things up and Chiquinho perhaps the best we've got for that.

Bruno can have criticism for that I suppose, but I understand why he's reluctant to throw on a youngster from Estoril who has hardly done a thing in the game.

Other than that, it is the players. No pace, no real quality, not enough numbers in the box = easy to defend against.
I wouldn’t say Neto or Podence had no pace.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say Neto or Podence had no pace.
Podence might be quick but doesn't have the strength to really get past players, excellent at getting a yard or two in a short space though.

Neto just isn't doing anything. Hope it's a case of needing to build up his fitness but he's had 8 appearances now and barely done a thing of note.

Either way, as the results have shown, we have missed Traore massively.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah - that's really really bad.

Odd that it's so different to how it was under Nuno. I'm usually a huge pessimist so at least this season has proven my gloominess at seeing us concede compounded

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone behind in 15 games, lost 14, won 1 (Villa).

You got to admit though, that one game - Villa - was a bit special! Might be an irrational dislike of them, but if that is the only game we manage a turnround in all season, I'll take it. Even thinking of it now puts a huge smirk on my face from ear to ear :D Football rarely gets better than scoring 3 goals at the end of a match to beat your bitter rivals. Could be waiting 50 years for it to happen again.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another game we go one down and show absolutely nothing to get back into the game.. I've never seen a top half Premier League team crumble so much when things go against them no shots, no urgency and no ideas... Weak!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being good when going ahead and poor when going behind has been a long-term trend: it was the same under Nuno, albeit not so pronounced.

Nuno and Bruno respond similarly to going behind too: throw on a lot of forward players and hope something sticks. I think it's quite a Portuguese managerial style tbh: you drill your squad incessantly without the ball, but just kinda leave your forwards to get on with it when they get it. It'll get you so far, and do fine at international level, but there's a limit to it in today's game (see also: Mourinho).

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham have just scored their 14th equaliser of the season while we have only scored 1

This is the reason we ain’t going be playing in Europe next season and questions need to asked on why we lose almost every time we go 1-0 down

Back
Top Bottom