Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What should happen next with fabio silva?

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as last season wasn't ideal for Fabio, neither is how this season is panning out. I would though, as the season progresses expect him to get more time allowing for drops in forms/injuries (hopefully not). To Raul or Hwang.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no point taking £10m and cutting our losses now, even if you think it was a waste and he isn’t going to make it.

The only way to see any kind of return is stick with him and give him time to develop, regardless of whether you believe that is to cut our losses in the future on a poor punt or to reap the rewards of a good find.

Selling now isn’t the answer even if you think he never should have been brought in the first place.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we have a Fabio silva thread each time we lose how many will we have at the end of the season?
It's par for the course when we have an international break now, Fabio Silva becomes the most talked about person/topic on the mix

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to have a poll - I've always made my view on Fabio known and have seen nothing to make me change it this season. If someone offered us £10m I'd take it without a moment's hesitation.

Look at the impact Joe Gelhardt had for Leeds when he came on against us - he cost a £1m from Wigan and is way closer to a 'generational talent' than Fabio. He seems a nice enough lad but let's be honest, right now he wouldn't even be a guaranteed starter in League One. So on the grounds that we won't find a mug to give us £10m. he needs to be playing football regularly, either for the U23s or in League 1 or 2
If he’s so bad we might as well just pay up his contract then, no point having him about the place.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There’s no point taking £10m and cutting our losses now, even if you think it was a waste and he isn’t going to make it.

The only way to see any kind of return is stick with him and give him time to develop, regardless of whether you believe that is to cut our losses in the future on a poor punt or to reap the rewards of a good find.

Selling now isn’t the answer even if you think he never should have been brought in the first place.
If you think it was a waste & he isn't going to make it then cutting your losses is exactly what you should do.

What you've said is the equivalent of saying, I bought these shares for £35 and I think they're going to worthless. But rather than accept the mistake and get some money back, I'm going to hang on in the blind hope that it'll be OK, and I'm also going to pay (wages) to keep hold of the shares.

I accept other people have different views, but my view is that I have seen nothing to convince me Fabio is worth anywhere near what we paid. Therefore if we were offered £10m I'd take it and save the wages.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players needs to play.
I cannot imagine that Fabio Silva is the lone exception to that rule.
He needs to be bloodied,and if he can´t cut it at Championship level in a decent fashion by now..then we should fear the worst financially out of the Silva deal we made.
The kid needs to play and he won´t do that with us..not for this season anyways.
Loan him out and let´s see if he really is anywhere near a generational talent.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd loan him back to Portugal for a year or two, kid needs to grow physically and he will learn so much more getting regular game time which lets face it he won't get here as he isn't at the required level for Prem football yet

UEAwolf

Reaction score
He's still younger than most of our u-21 squad strikers - a year younger than Samuels; 3 years younger than Dadashov. Younger too than Corbeanu and Conor Carty.

As to whether he's better served playing regular football at a lower level or continuing being in and around the 1st team - his coaches are better served to judge than any of us.

I think he's progressing fine and time is very much on his side.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio loan out to decent champ club the same as MGW who seems to have sharpened up to a higher level of fitness too.

PS. Yet Jef Shi probably won't allow his baby to go out of the playpen?
He’s our only backup striker.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
He's still younger than most of our u-21 squad strikers - a year younger than Samuels; 3 years younger than Dadashov. Younger too than Corbeanu and Conor Carty.

As to whether he's better served playing regular football at a lower level or continuing being in and around the 1st team - his coaches are better served to judge than any of us.

Loan out in championship needs to be hardened up or have a few weeks with BULLY . In.my humble opinion I think he's a 35 million **** up who ever saw a wolves centre forward in him should be saked its not the boys fault he's just not good enough end of .

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just who are the "we" ? I am certainly not in that gang and would prefer to leave it to the experts at the club.
It was noticeable he only got two minutes at the end of the palace game. When you add up his total first team minutes this season he hasn't played very much. It's on peoples minds, especially if another striker is coming in january.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure I am not alone in thinking that Bruno and his bro were brought in, in part, to develop younger players particularly Silva. Seems Bruno and his staff think more time off the pitch is in Silva’s best interests at the moment.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I offer up an estimate of 7 fewer than Nelson Semedo ones ' :D:D:D:D:D:D
Or four more than goals scored this season?

Not his fault he cost a bomb though, not at all. He might be too slow for a PL side that play the way do. But... the lad needs time playing mens football and a loan somewhere he'll play but for now it's got to be U23s and time on the bench.
I’m sure I am not alone in thinking that Bruno and his bro were brought in, in part, to develop younger players particularly Silva. Seems Bruno and his staff think more time off the pitch is in Silva’s best interests at the moment.
Worst case scenario: Bruno just doesn't rate the lad. I hope not, we're not a club whoncan afford to spunk money.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As to your 2nd paragraph I'm sure loaning him out now would be seen by all as an admission that the Club vastly overpaid for Silva. Had we paid say a few mil for him then there would be no issue with him having time in the U23s; it's the fee that keeps him in and around the 1st team. As to your 3rd paragraph it's a matter of opinion whether he is progressing fine, he can't progress much sitting on the subs bench? Time is on his side but every week away from playing is a week he'll never get back.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you think it was a waste & he isn't going to make it then cutting your losses is exactly what you should do.

What you've said is the equivalent of saying, I bought these shares for £35 and I think they're going to worthless. But rather than accept the mistake and get some money back, I'm going to hang on in the blind hope that it'll be OK, and I'm also going to pay (wages) to keep hold of the shares.

I accept other people have different views, but my view is that I have seen nothing to convince me Fabio is worth anywhere near what we paid. Therefore if we were offered £10m I'd take it and save the wages.
I appreciate what you’re saying, but if that was the scenario I’d keep hold of them because if I’ve lost over 70% of their value already I’d be inclined to hold on to them and see if they can recover that value.

If I can get £10 for them now whilst they’re perceived to be worthless surely I could still get £10 for them in a year or two so having lost this much what more is there to lose?

When you add in the fact that footballers all develop at different rates and plenty of players who’ve shown nothing at Silva’s age can develop in to very good players I’d argue this is the worst time to sell. You’re guaranteeing a loss now knowing full well there’s always a chance, even if it’s a slim one, that this could be the bottom of his value and it may climb again down the line.

I take the wages aspect but again, in the grand scheme of things they’re negligible compared to taking a guaranteed £25m loss selling now.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got absolutely no problem with loaning him out in Jan to the end of the season, providing we sign a back up for Raul.

He was always signed and seen as one for the future, it's not an admission of any sort we failed in signing him. See where he is in another couple of seasons before judging him

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Voted for number 5 but would have voted for number 2 too if I was allowed.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure that the championship is the best move for him. If he finds he can’t handle the physicality of the league then he will find himself on the bench pretty quickly. I just don’t think he’s ready to lead the line over here.

I hope we see more of him if/when we switch to a more attacking style of play/formation.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He is doing this season what he should have been doing last season.
Raul starting and furthering his development from the bench
Agree. In the meantime hes playing for his national team u21s which can only be good for his progress

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me, it’s like the annual John Lewis Christmas ad. It’s November, it’s an international break and we just lost a game. Let’s have a few new threads on Semedo and Silva, our new villains, for some mixers to let off steam. Go knock yourselves out folks. I could say something else, but I think you know what I mean.

In the meantime, the irony of suggesting we send out our only backup striker, only weeks after Raul returned to something like his former form, and with a wafer thin squad to start with, is astounding.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I appreciate what you’re saying, but if that was the scenario I’d keep hold of them because if I’ve lost over 70% of their value already I’d be inclined to hold on to them and see if they can recover that value.

If I can get £10 for them now whilst they’re perceived to be worthless surely I could still get £10 for them in a year or two so having lost this much what more is there to lose?

When you add in the fact that footballers all develop at different rates and plenty of players who’ve shown nothing at Silva’s age can develop in to very good players I’d argue this is the worst time to sell. You’re guaranteeing a loss now knowing full well there’s always a chance, even if it’s a slim one, that this could be the bottom of his value and it may climb again down the line.

I take the wages aspect but again, in the grand scheme of things they’re negligible compared to taking a guaranteed £25m loss selling now.
Chris - I fully accept your view. Just as I have my views on Adama, Nelson Semedo and Ruben Neves' need for a haircut - as I'm sure you do. It's a football forum & different views are what make it worthwhile. We're all Wolves supporters at the end of the day. All the best, mate

Paris Wolf

Reaction score
Grasshoppers started the season playing Campana as the first striker and now it's Bonatini getting most game time, so I can't see him playing more there than he does here...

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno could give him more game time -maybe bring him on after 89 minutes.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But it massively changes the expectation.

Yes, it does make some fans froth at the mouth that a 19 year old isn't setting the league alight (even in comparison to say, Diallo of Man U, €40m).

But hopefully Bruno is taking a more thoughtful approach, and just doing what's best for the player, rather than trying to keep people happy.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it does make some fans froth at the mouth that a 19 year old isn't setting the league alight (even in comparison to say, Diallo of Man U, €40m).

But hopefully Bruno is taking a more thoughtful approach, and just doing what's best for the player and the club in the longer term, rather than trying to keep people happy.
A minor but important change... It's not just about the player.

Back
Top Bottom