Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 269 66.7%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 28 6.9%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 32 7.9%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 54 13.4%
  • Other

Votes: 20 5.0%

• Total voters

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The stats I've just looked at say that Rangers have had 15 penalties this season and Celtic have had 14. So what's your point?
??

That Celtic should have had 14 and Rangers should have had two.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I lost a lot of respect for him and Trincao (couldn't even remember his name and had to use Google to prompt me), that game against Liverpool at Anfield, when warming up as subs the pair of them burst out laughing at Hwang as he tried but struggled to retain possession.

Whilst admittedly it wasn't Hwang's finest moment, look at where the three of them are now! Pair of unprofessional dicks.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least you are prepared to be vaguely positive. It is sad how many people are almost gloating over a young Wolves player apparently failing.
It is. Surely we should be desperately urging him on to fulfil his talent. He needs a proper pre season behind him in a stable environment and with a manager who believes in him.

Unfortunately that doesn't look like it will be with us.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't imagine him being very self aware!
Well unless he is senile he will remember very publicly taking ownership of the signing. And if there is one thing he does know about it's the bottom line in Wolves' accounts.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rangers fans and commentators I've read are all pretty unanimous in that they have given up on him. I really don't know who would pay money for him tbh. It would be shocking to just give him away. He'll surely come back to us in May/June. Does anyone think that as a last resort a pre-season with GON and to work closely with Cunha might unleash a shred of talent that must lie hidden somewhere?
There is no talent to unleash

loppers86

Reaction score
Well unless he is senile he will remember very publicly taking ownership of the signing. And if there is one thing he does know about it's the bottom line in Wolves' accounts.
until the rangers loan i thought fabio was very unlucky and very badly advised. i was wrong, he’s rubbish and he has an entitled attitude.

i thought Jeff was just an incompetent fool… i was wrong, he’s a complete ****.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Check out the replies lol
They have been absolutely brutal against him pretty frequently on twitter. I actually took a screenshot of one and thought of sharing but thought it would be too mean-spirited. It was pretty amusing though. I think moaning about Fabio has been one of the highlights of the year for Rangers tbh.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a daft loan in the first place for Fabio.... always on a hiding to nothing....yea he could have done better but had he done well it would have been it's only "Scotland"....it's a pressure environment playing for one of the old firm.....he needed somewhere out the limelight in say Portugal or Spain.......

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lost a lot of respect for him and Trincao (couldn't even remember his name and had to use Google to prompt me), that game against Liverpool at Anfield, when warming up as subs the pair of them burst out laughing at Hwang as he tried but struggled to retain possession.

Whilst admittedly it wasn't Hwang's finest moment, look at where the three of them are now! Pair of unprofessional dicks.
Good point. I think most of us (me included) were bewildered by Hwang in that game, but bursting out laughing in front of him was highly unsupportive toward a teammate who was having a torrid time. Fast forward, and one player's career has soared since while the other's has nosedived. Hwang is certainly having the last laugh.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a daft loan in the first place for Fabio.... always on a hiding to nothing....yea he could have done better but had he done well it would have been it's only "Scotland"....it's a pressure environment playing for one of the old firm.....he needed somewhere out the limelight in say Portugal or Spain.......
I'm not so sure. Some 'bang average' players from England have done very well at Rangers. Unfortunately, Fabio is not at that level.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If people had put so much effort into watching his every move (and game) throughout his Anderlecht and PSV loans as they are now, maybe they would know that he's not a talentless ********, doesn't have a bad attitude and has the potential to be a very good player.

Never praised for anything good he does, and criticised to the hilt for everything bad. The lad will never win with these parameters.

A few years ago, other forwards of the same age were busy getting on with learning without the pressures everyone criticising everything they did (see Gyorkes for an example) and went on to prove their worth.

Young strikers who go for big fees are still young strikers... and still need to learn. See Solanke and all the criticism and indeed ridicule he received... and now how well he's doing just a few years later.

I don't agree with the majority sentiment here that we should get rid.... but that is an opinion of mine, and everyone or anyone is entitled to disagree... what isn't an opinion is that he is criticised more and praised less than anyone else in his age range... despite outscoring nearly all his peers at club and international level.

Needs time, patience and understanding.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. Some 'bang average' players from England have done very well at Rangers. Unfortunately, Fabio is not at that level.
Cloggers who are quite physical yes ...that's not Fabio....he wouldn't cut it in the championship as it's that type of league.....for me he will only get so far is a lesser physical league ....I said in January I didn't think SPL would help him at all....he should have got to a lower team in Spain or mid table Portuguese side .....that would suit him better ..

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cloggers who are quite physical yes ...that's not Fabio....he wouldn't cut it in the championship as it's that type of league.....for me he will only get so far is a lesser physical league ....I said in January I didn't think SPL would help him at all....he should have got to a lower team in Spain or mid table Portuguese side .....that would suit him better ..
The Dutch league is far more physical than Scotland besides, it didn't take a clogger to send him sprawling in the box the other day. There was no one near him.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If people had put so much effort into watching his every move (and game) throughout his Anderlecht and PSV loans as they are now, maybe they would know that he's not a talentless ********, doesn't have a bad attitude and has the potential to be a very good player. Never praised for anything good he does, and criticised to the hilt for everything bad. The lad will never win with these parameters.

A few years ago, other forwards of the same age were busy getting on with learning without the pressures everyone criticising everything they did (see Gyorkes for an example) and went on to prove their worth. Young strikers who go for big fees are still young strikers... and still need to learn. See Solanke and all the criticism and indeed ridicule he received... and now how well he's doing just a few years later.

I don't agree with the majority sentiment here that we should get rid.... but that is an opinion of mine, and everyone or anyone is entitled to disagree... what isn't an opinion is that he is criticised more and praised less than anyone else in his age range... despite outscoring nearly all his peers at club and international level. Needs time, patience and understanding.
I agree that Fabio has clever movement, but in the absence of exceptional ability and skill, you need a combination of pace, strength and athleticism to succeed in the Premier League, of which Fabio is not possessed. However, the phantom dive against Hearts was the last straw for me. It's the single worst and most embarrassing attempt at cheating I think I have ever seen, and speaks to a dubious mentality that he'd rather do that than finish a simple chance. I am afraid I have no time, patience or understanding left for him.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel sorry for him. His performances for Portugal U21s show that there is something about him. I’m gonna take a contrary view and hope he comes back, the management team put their arms around him and show him he is loved and help him get his mojo back - even get him psychological help if that’s what he needs.

He is too young and there is too much invested in him just to give up.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Dutch league is far more physical than Scotland besides, it didn't take a clogger to send him sprawling in the box the other day. There was no one near him.
Yes agree....just don't think the move was ever gonna suit him.....he has no physicality at all........nothing to get gained from Scotland....but everything to lose......he needed putting back to basics at an Estoril of familacao....las Palmas or somewhere.... because he has generally missed out on the basics with his daft move to us...

Old heads generally go to Scotland....

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It feels like we all need a break.

I still feel he could become a star and blossom in a couple of years but it is not helping him or us so I’d move on with a sizeable sell-on clause. Where to - possibly Europe (Belgium/Holland) or more likely back to Portugal.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree that Fabio has clever movement, but in the absence of exceptional ability and skill, you need a combination of pace, strength and athleticism to succeed in the Premier League, of which Fabio is not possessed. However, the phantom dive against Hearts was the last straw for me. It's the single worst and most embarrassing attempt at cheating I think I have ever seen, and speaks to a dubious mentality that he'd rather do that than finish a simple chance. I am afraid I have no time, patience or understanding left for him.

It's a tough one to explain that's for sure... looked very strange - but I think his toe got caught in the grass and he fell over.... rather than cheating.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The “he’s still young, not his fault his price was so high” arguments are fine.

I just don’t know, football-wise, why anyone thinks this particular 21-22 y/o player will come good. I see no physical evidence that he’ll be able to do the job anywhere. I’m open to suggestions because I would love it.

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
The “he’s still young, not his fault his price was so high” arguments are fine.

I just don’t know, football-wise, why anyone thinks this particular 21-22 y/o player will come good. I see no physical evidence that he’ll be able to do the job anywhere. I’m open to suggestions because I would love it.
Probably for the same reason, if he was 'worth' that in past then maybe it will just take one more loan etc to see it, I guess we hope that someone can see more in him than we do.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If people had put so much effort into watching his every move (and game) throughout his Anderlecht and PSV loans as they are now, maybe they would know that he's not a talentless ********, doesn't have a bad attitude and has the potential to be a very good player.

Never praised for anything good he does, and criticised to the hilt for everything bad. The lad will never win with these parameters.

A few years ago, other forwards of the same age were busy getting on with learning without the pressures everyone criticising everything they did (see Gyorkes for an example) and went on to prove their worth.

Young strikers who go for big fees are still young strikers... and still need to learn. See Solanke and all the criticism and indeed ridicule he received... and now how well he's doing just a few years later.

I don't agree with the majority sentiment here that we should get rid.... but that is an opinion of mine, and everyone or anyone is entitled to disagree... what isn't an opinion is that he is criticised more and praised less than anyone else in his age range... despite outscoring nearly all his peers at club and international level.

Needs time, patience and understanding.
Unfortunately it seems the mob mentality now clouds judgement. Looking for reasons to all pile on to this month's chosen victim. Just as has happened with Hwang and Semedo in the past. It's not enough, for some, to be disappointed that he has not yet developed into the player that his youth career promised. Instead they invent personal character traits and failings for which there is little evidence, but which become common currency on forums and social media. Comments Large made about the attitudes of younger players in training are attributed to him. He has been described as "unprofessional" or "having a chip on his shoulder" without much to back that up as far as I can see. He has always come across to me as a young player desperate to both succeed and be part of the team, here and when on loan in Europe. Even the recent criticism of his diving in Scotland is based on a couple of instances, one of which looked, more like a case of tripping over his own feet than an attempt to gain an advantage to me. We have certainly seen similar examples of both simulation and poor coordination from players currently in the first team playing squad. He has looked the part at times, for Portugal U21's, Anderlecht and PSV. He has been given precious little opportunity to develop properly at Wolves and the price tag will always weigh heavily on him in the press. I can see why he might not be rated highly, but I cannot see the reason for the personal animosity he seems to bring out in some posters.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably for the same reason, if he was 'worth' that in past then maybe it will just take one more loan etc to see it, I guess we hope that someone can see more in him than we do.
Not physical evidence, though. At no point since we got him 4 years ago has he looked like anything on the pitch. He was only worth something on spec, seemingly because of a rating in a video game. Chiwome is better at 18. Line Fabio up against broke 21-22 y/os and what’s the difference. Don’t see how he gets it, keeps it, or puts it home. It’s not fair to him to expect anything.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil has dropped several hints that Silva's attitude has been a problem.

It was also telling that he made TEN changes for the game at Ipswich in the cup, with Hwang the only player to keep his place - so he didn't have to bring in Silva.

Then, our of nowhere, he brought Nathan Fraser on before Fabio.

If that's not sending a message, then I don't know what is.

I was hugely excited to see Fabio come back and I thought he would be good. I thought he was very impressive in pre-season as well.

However, I clearly got it wrong.

He has two goals in 14 league appearances for a side similar to one where Adam Idah has scored 7 in 11 - and Idah has done it in far less minutes on the pitch.

We also have the constant diving that everyone will have seen if they'd watched. If not, read what his own supporters are saying.

Then, as I've referenced, we have O'Neil's actions which suggest he very much does have an attitude problem.

Therefore, anyone claiming Fabio is getting scapegoated is having a laugh.

He deserves the criticism coming his way. The only hope is that because he is so young, the penny will drop.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m fine with crapping on his attitude but I think he could be as humble or hardworking as anyone wanted and still not do anything. Maturity is not the answer.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
he needs to start at the bottom again, moving to wolves was a bad decision for all parties, too young too soon.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m fine with crapping on his attitude but I think he could be as humble or hardworking as anyone wanted and still not do anything. Maturity is not the answer.
I tend to agree, but you never know when someone wants it to that unnatural level.

Side note: Is an athlete having a (metaphorical) chip on their shoulder not a good thing?

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't help wondering whether he'd have got much less crap had he had a "Bully" when he arrived.
Yes, a skinhead haircut and a name like Jack would have made him a legend. A broccoli style and some kind of made-up Internet type of name would also be acceptable, but Fabio and those locks were never going to cut it with old or young.

Back
Top Bottom