Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 246 66.3%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe if you'd watched it you'd have seen he was poleaxed today and had every right to be on the floor.

He also had every right to be annoyed at being subbed after 55 minutes when he was having a good game and had setup the goal. This is not unique to him.

He wasn’t last week when he made himself a point of massive frustration and mocking…… I spoke about last week.

Also the previous times that led to him being called “the boy who cried wolf” by the commentator for his historic diving and flopping around……

So he has one half of good football and throws his toys out the pram when subbed during an underwhelming loan move…… that looks crap…..

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe if you'd watched it you'd have seen he was poleaxed today and had every right to be on the floor.

He also had every right to be annoyed at being subbed after 55 minutes when he was having a good game and had setup the goal. This is not unique to him.
He was crap. No pace, no strength and very little ability on the ball. And this is against Raith Rovers who would struggle to beat Rotherham.

Matondo was twice the player he was when he came on and he is rubbish.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whereas Kircaldy (Raith) is the land that time forgot. Truly awful.

Rangers fans’ not enthusiastic about Fab… Fabio Silva
Lol wow. Pretty brutal.

I agree with them though. He's not a 5m player at the moment, and his attitude is that of a young man who hasn't improved much in years despite good health. He looks for all the world like an early bloomer, and again his attitude is pretty questionable at this point.

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Fabio is a bit like a talent show winner. Thrown into the top of the business when he wasn’t mentally ready, and inevitably he didn’t cope. And now because people will only ever think of him as the “£35m wonderkid”, he won’t ever be taken seriously. If he’d have worked his way up naturally who knows.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing how a player who has spent an awful lot of time on his physique can be so weak.

He literally has nothing about his game at all and it will be interesting to see what level of the game he settles at in the longer term.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fabio is a bit like a talent show winner. Thrown into the top of the business when he wasn’t mentally ready, and inevitably he didn’t cope. And now because people will only ever think of him as the “£35m wonderkid”, he won’t ever be taken seriously. If he’d have worked his way up naturally who knows.
Honestly I don't think it's a mentality issue, although his mentality seems pretty suspect.

He was never going to be a premier league caliber player. Imo.

Jeff should stay away from transfers going forward.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there were doubts about his mentality, which I think there has to be given his actions against Ipswich and Sheffield United, then sending him to Rangers (or Celtic) is madness. You could make a case to say that they're the most demanding clubs in world football in terms of pressure and expectancy.

This was always a poor decision purely based on finances anyway. Even if Fabio wins the league for Rangers, which could still happen, they wouldn't be able to afford him.

He needs to be out in Germany/Spain/Portugal next season and realistically we're only getting a loan.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whereas Kircaldy (Raith) is the land that time forgot. Truly awful.

Rangers fans’ not enthusiastic about Fab… Fabio Silva
OOOFFF…….,

That is brutal to read…… not seen as good enough for a championship standard league with only two “decent” teams in it……

If Hobbs gets a good deal or we break even on him on a book value basis, then he deserves a statue!

Hahaha

This loan has been more disastrous for the sale value/prospect of a player than the Adama one to Barca!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi should be sacked for this deal alone. £35million for a kid who, quite frankly, won't be worth a third of that 3 years on.
I guess Guo doesn’t agree with you. Why sack a competent chairman over a bad transfer?
If that was the case , god knows how many other firings there’d have been over the years.

Anyway, the Silva deal was done years ago…….maybe it’s time for us to hope that Wolves recoup some of their money and move on.
Not much point in crying over spilt milk , year after year anymore, imo.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess Guo doesn’t agree with you. Why sack a competent chairman over a bad transfer?
If that was the case , god knows how many other firings there’d have been over the years.

Anyway, the Silva deal was done years ago…….maybe it’s time for us to hope that Wolves recoup some of their money and move on.
Not much point in crying over spilt milk , year after year anymore, imo.
'Competent' is certainly a stretch considering the past 2 years.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OOOFFF…….,

This loan has been more disastrous for the sale value/prospect of a player than the Adama one to Barca!
I agree wholeheartedly with his resale value plumetting, he should really be scoring for fun playing for this team in this league, He will never be a regular goal scorer in the PL, no strength, no pace, and no individual skill with the ball, I don't see any point in further loans unless their is an obligation to buy, as for how much we will do well to get anywhere between £5/10 million for him, this is another that can be put down to Jeff.
As an aside a player that arrived at the same time as Fabio has seen his value and career go the opposite way to Fabio ie Vitinha playing for PSG and competing with world class players, now why could'nt Jeff have seen Vitinha as the "generational talent"rather than Fabio.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he is not setting that league alight, then he won't make it in the Premier league. The likes of Boyd and Larrson have looked world class in Scotland and been average elsewhere. Our Oscar Wilde lookalike has flattered to deceive, but he hasn't got it. Any money we get fir him is better than paying his wages. Nice lad I'm sure, but not a proper premierleague striker

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he is not setting that league alight, then he won't make it in the Premier league. The likes of Boyd and Larrson have looked world class in Scotland and been average elsewhere. Our Oscar Wilde lookalike has flattered to deceive, but he hasn't got it. Any money we get fir him is better than paying his wages. Nice lad I'm sure, but not a proper premierleague striker

!!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness and holding my hands up, I thought he spent more time at United than he did, and didn't do that well. My point stands though. If Silva is supposed to be a generational talent he should be lighting up the Scottish league

Agree entirely on that, just Larsson was class - as Arsenal know from that Champions League final!

Yeah, Silva should be doing more. I see Rangers fans giving the striker pelters today, wonder if Silva will get another chance centrally now.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Competent' is certainly a stretch considering the past 2 years.
I get your point but considering our lowest place League spot was 13th. and we’ve had more good transfers than bad, ( by far), I think competent is accurate.
I can easily imagine how a bad chairman could easily run us into the ground.

Anyway, this is the Silva thread…….maybe it’s time to stop dwelling on his price tag .

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi should be sacked for this deal alone. £35million for a kid who, quite frankly, won't be worth a third of that 3 years on.

It just shows you how hard it is to buy a good striker, and even harder to try and predict who's going to be one.
Jimenez was by far best i've seen as an all round player with brains and technique, but we've had a huge amount of dross over the years..far more failures than successes.
I see Cutrone is now settled into Serie B, another one we paid for not good enough to even play in a top league.
I hope O'Neill and Hobbs have got smarter heads on their shoulders, imagine how good we could be if Cunha had a partner to play to.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d say won’t be worth a tenth of that, more like!

Trouble is, he has a value on the balance sheet. We paid £35million for him on a five year contract. Amortise that fee over the length of his contract for the 3 years he’s been with us at £7million a year, leaves his current balance sheet value at £14million. No way would we get that kind of fee for him. Problem is, anything less creates a loss which contributes to FFP/PSR which we need to keep an eye on. It would be interesting to know what his wages are and if Rangers are currently paying them, so at least we could be saving some or all of that cost.

Reading the Rangers fans comments about him on their fans forum doesn’t make very good reading at all after their loss today against mighty, second bottom Ross County.

A disaster of a signing, who has been given numerous chances with us and at other clubs, but has shown nothing at all.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Trouble is, he has a value on the balance sheet. We paid £35million for him on a five year contract. Amortise that fee over the length of his contract for the 3 years he’s been with us at £7million a year, leaves his current balance sheet value at £14million. No way would we get that kind of fee for him. Problem is, anything less creates a loss which contributes to FFP/PSR which we need to keep an eye on. It would be interesting to know what his wages are and if Rangers are currently paying them, so at least we could be saving some or all of that cost.

Reading the Rangers fans comments about him on their fans forum doesn’t make very good reading at all after their loss today against mighty, second bottom Ross County.

A disaster of a signing, who has been given numerous chances with us and at other clubs, but has shown nothing at all.
I know I should understand the amortisation thing better but if selling him in the summer will badly affect our FFP situation but keeping him for another season will then lessen the FFP situation then **** it, keep him and send him out on loan again. I assume the club loaning him pay his wages so that's win/win as I see it. We need to get/keep the FFP situation in check as it may mean we could possibly keep all our big hitters this summer.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know I should understand the amortisation thing better but if selling him in the summer will badly affect our FFP situation but keeping him for another season will then lessen the FFP situation then **** it, keep him and send him out on loan again. I assume the club loaning him pay his wages so that's win/win as I see it. We need to get/keep the FFP situation in check as it may mean we could possibly keep all our big hitters this summer.
What it boils down to is you have to take the full hit of the rest of the fee when you sell. So his 7m number for next season becomes 14m on next year's books (and then 0 after, of course). You can't keep spreading it out after the player is gone, basically.

So 7m for him is a wash, I guess. Could the club get 7m? I don't know...

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those are my current thoughts, nnw.

At his current rate of progress, he might be worth about £2million at the end of his contract, which will be pure profit (if we sell for that amount) in the accounts.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think there’s a reasonable chance he gets sold for his balance sheet value of around 14m this summer, with a sell on clause to provide some modest upside should he be sold for more later. He’s young, he does score goals at a steady rate when he plays regularly, in a variety of leagues, albeit not in the Premier League. If so we will have wasted 20m or so on him, but the same could be said of a few other forwards we’ve bought since Fosun took over. But it will be good for him and us to draw a line under his time with us.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there’s a reasonable chance he gets sold for his balance sheet value of around 14m this summer, with a sell on clause to provide some modest upside should he be sold for more later. He’s young, he does score goals at a steady rate when he plays regularly, in a variety of leagues, albeit not in the Premier League. If so we will have wasted 20m or so on him, but the same could be said of a few other forwards we’ve bought since Fosun took over. But it will be good for him and us to draw a line under his time with us.
If we do get £14million (which I doubt) for him Sussex, I doubt it will be from an English club.

I can’t think of any of the top European clubs wanting him either.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do get £14million (which I doubt) for him Sussex, I doubt it will be from an English club.

I can’t think of any of the top European clubs wanting him either.

I agree on the English clubs comment. Rangers are reportedly interested in a permanent signing, but whether they feel he’s worth around 14m, I’m not so sure. I think moving to a continental club is more likely. While we may not think him worth it, I suspect Mendes will help find a home for him. As I said, he’s still young, he’s now a more physical player than he was, and could do well in some of the less physical, slower leagues where he would be relatively strong.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree on the English clubs comment. Rangers are reportedly interested in a permanent signing, but whether they feel he’s worth around 14m, I’m not so sure. I think moving to a continental club is more likely. While we may not think him worth it, I suspect Mendes will help find a home for him. As I said, he’s still young, he’s now a more physical player than he was, and could do well in some of the less physical, slower leagues where he would be relatively strong.
He might be more physical, but he’s still not very good at scoring, heading, passing, speed, holding the ball, beating or challenging players.

Other than that he ain’t that bad!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He might be more physical, but he’s still not very good at scoring, heading, passing, speed, holding the ball, beating or challenging players.

Well people wanted to push the boat out to sign Broja, and his goal contributions in the past 18 months is even worse! Fulham have spent 4m just on a half season loan fee for him.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazed anyone thought he was anything more than ordinary. Seemed obvious from very early he had no redeeming qualities and to say he is slow would be an understatement. He might at best play between the top and second tier in Portugal on and off but no way he achieves more than that.

Disaster of a signing that ruined our progress, acting like we had made it to the big time when we certainly hadn't and stopped us strengthening where we needed to to spunk this money up the wall ffs.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

If Rangers do want Silva permanently, i’m wondering with Sa potentially leaving if we could do some sort of swap deal with Jack Butland? Sa makes some great saves but also some bizarre errors and decisions and possibly Butland could provide a more consistent presence in goal.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I reckon he'll go in the summer for an 'undisclosed' fee to a club in Spain or Portugal. Undisclosed being under £10m plus a load of clauses so we can try and get some extra money back on him.

Good luck to him - not his fault he was the way Mendes clawed back the reductions on the Jota and Neves fees we got.

loppers86

Reaction score

he gives the ball away too often by diving on the floor for no reason.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Didn't he sign a 1 year contract extension when he went to Belgium or Holland?

Back
Top Bottom