Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say I’ve avoided voting on this one as I don’t think it’s quite as clear cut as many suggest.

On the one hand he came into the team very young and underqualified to take the take the place of the main man up front. He did ok, has scored goals in the premier league for us and there were tentative signs that he could be a good player for us.

That said, since that season Silva’s WWFC career has stalled and he has not taken any of the numerous opportunities to really demonstrate he is a premier league player… yet.

But when assessing his loans, he has the profile of the type of player we’d be looking at and would potentially be excited to be linked with. He has shown on loan that he can finish, has decent movement and can play in different attacking formations. Whether he can bring any of that back to Wolves is debatable.

I just don’t think I could make a decision one way or the other, which is why somebody else earns the big £s. I think Silva is talented, but is it premier league worthy? Only time will tell. How disappointed would we be if after another years experience he really takes off and makes a big splash like Goncalves?

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How disappointed would we be if after another years experience he really takes off and makes a big splash like Goncalves?

It's Wolves so this is 100% what is going to happen.

Ship out one of the best young Portuguese strikers and bring in Che Adams - it's all very Wolves.

Last edited:

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Highlights are here. First assist definitely isn't his and 2nd one dubious but lots of good stuff here.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s so many angles to Fabio’s future, none of it is black and white. Financially from the clubs perspective it’s a loss no matter what, but like any business the past is the past so I doubt they’re massively worried about what they paid, moreso what is the maximum they can get back. From the players perspective I think he’s mentally checked out of wolves. It can’t be a great day to day position for him, the expectation on his shoulders he’s undoubtedly felt and training but not playing will only have made that worse. GON seemingly doesn’t rate him which won’t help either.

I don’t see him being here next season. Time to cut our losses and let him re-start his career elsewhere.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s so many angles to Fabio’s future, none of it is black and white. Financially from the clubs perspective it’s a loss no matter what, but like any business the past is the past so I doubt they’re massively worried about what they paid, moreso what is the maximum they can get back. From the players perspective I think he’s mentally checked out of wolves. It can’t be a great day to day position for him, the expectation on his shoulders he’s undoubtedly felt and training but not playing will only have made that worse. GON seemingly doesn’t rate him which won’t help either.

I don’t see him being here next season. Time to cut our losses and let him re-start his career elsewhere.
Support him to have a good career, pocket for us with addons and sell ons

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Faroe Islands. At last. He has found his level.

The Faroe Islands have a total male population of about 26k. 5k are under 15. 7k are over 64. That leaves 13k males aged 16 to 63. I would think there are about 500-1k males in the 19-21k range. Basically, if you can walk you could play international football there.

As such, that video counts for less than zilch.

*Faroe Islands U21s

Easy to be dismissive....

Also easy to do a quick Google search and see that they're not as bad as everyone seems to think.

In their last few games have drew with France, drew with Poland, beat Montenegro, Kazakhstan and Armenia and narrowly lost to Spain and Croatia.

But any excuse to have a go at Fabio has to be taken, of course.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Support him to have a good career, pocket for us with addons and sell ons
Yeah we need to structure it for sure. We need to try and protect ourselves against him reaching his potential. I really feel for the lad, the pressure on him when he came was huge due to the fee and the things said about him. It was naive by all concerned to think he’d come straight from Portugal and hit the ground running. I don’t buy into this theory he’s a “generational talent” but I do think he could become a very good player but I don’t see any scenario for that to happen here. The move to Rangers sums it up (for me). Had he gone there and scored 20 goals and won them the league, there’ll still be folk saying “it’s only league one level” then other folk thinking he’s turned a corner, comes back and does it here with the expectation right back on him. Obviously he’s been well paid for the privelage but we’ve absolutely shafted his career for him so far.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full pre season may change him under Gaz same for Bouby
It’s about his desire to be here, GON has had him long enough to know if he wants him or not. Bouba is down the pecking order due to the form of those in front of him, Fabio for reasons only known to GON wasn’t getting a look in despite us wanting a forward.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s about his desire to be here, GON has had him long enough to know if he wants him or not. Bouba is down the pecking order due to the form of those in front of him, Fabio for reasons only known to GON wasn’t getting a look in despite us wanting a forward.
TBH i thought Cutrone had more talent as a striker but he didnt want to be here either.
I really wanted it to work out but it hasnt so time to move on.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH i thought Cutrone had more talent as a striker but he didnt want to be here either.
I really wanted it to work out but it hasnt so time to move on.
Cutrone and Guedes had the talent just not the application. Home sick or whatever excuses they want to use fair enough still go down as failures in old gold. We must move on as you say and find hard working players for the future

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cutrone and Guedes had the talent just not the application. Home sick or whatever excuses they want to use fair enough still go down as failures in old gold. We must move on as you say and find hard working players for the future
Agreed.
And my point re Silva is that i dont think he had the takent of those two and Lage didnt think he worked hard either (although not a greatly relevant view either!)

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.
And my point re Silva is that i dont think he had the takent of those two and Lage didnt think he worked hard either (although not a greatly relevant view either!)
Lage slagged Silva and Hoever off for not training hard enough? Maybe that. I suppose and Spanish and Portuguese players aren’t like us Brits train hard play hard mentality which is why the Spanish and Portuguese leagues are quite contrasting from the premier league

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage slagged Silva and Hoever off for not training hard enough? Maybe that. I suppose and Spanish and Portuguese players aren’t like us Brits train hard play hard mentality which is why the Spanish and Portuguese leagues are quite contrasting from the premier league
I don’t think where they come from has anything to do with how hard they train, that’s down to mentality not nationality. We’ve got a huge amount of examples of Portuguese players who trained hard and came from the same leagues.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think where they come from has anything to do with how hard they train, that’s down to mentality not nationality. We’ve got a huge amount of examples of Portuguese players who trained hard and came from the same leagues.
Yes that’s right but everyone is different so it’s hard to judge without watching for ourselves.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I've backed Fabio up to the hilt on here when others have been having a go....I still think there will be a decent player in him but not necessarily in the premier league...

But surely the time has come to part ways for both concerned.....we can't go any longer being short on forward options and praying Fabio will come good....it's not doing us any good and it's definitely not doing him any good...I actually thought last summer was the right time but I'm glad we gave it another go as such..

We should be letting him go for a reasonable fee with key additions instead attached particularly a sell on fee on the profit....the lad will most probably do well in a less physical league and we may think we made a mistake.....but it can't carry on for both parties....

I agree with all of that, with the exception that we didn’t really give it a go this season. After looking good in pre-season, I think he started three games. Played pretty well in two before having a stinker at Palace (although Cunha was even worse that day). After that, Neto, Hwang and Cunha caught fire and Fabio quite rightly got less and less minutes.

I’d love to have had him here right now where he would have got an extended run in the team but you’re completely right in that it isn’t fair to him to keep him here in limbo.

Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if he has a career renaissance back in Portugal and ends up getting another big move in a few years time. Something similar to Gyokeres (who Fabio is 4 years younger than).

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%. Moutinho was renowned possibly even infamous for his work ethic and desire to win everything, even board games.
Having watched training live at Compton, Toti trained as hard as any player on that pitch, so did Hugo Bueno. Any idea that nationality equals work ethic is ridiculous.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Looks like a different player in that video. His movement was excellent and he was running into positions where his teammates could find him. Assuming GON does not want him his performances in Scotland and for his home country will hopefully raise his profile and his value?

Was playing against kids, from a tiny talent pool and will never even play in the conference in England……..

You should rarely if ever judge a player by what they do in u21 football as the standard is so hit and miss…….

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%. Moutinho was renowned possibly even infamous for his work ethic and desire to win everything, even board games.
Having watched training live at Compton, Toti trained as hard as any player on that pitch, so did Hugo Bueno. Any idea that nationality equals work ethic is ridiculous.
Which is why I said everyone is different there is 1 or 2 not putting in the effort then why did Lage call them out?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with all of that, with the exception that we didn’t really give it a go this season. After looking good in pre-season, I think he started three games. Played pretty well in two before having a stinker at Palace (although Cunha was even worse that day). After that, Neto, Hwang and Cunha caught fire and Fabio quite rightly got less and less minutes.

I’d love to have had him here right now where he would have got an extended run in the team but you’re completely right in that it isn’t fair to him to keep him here in limbo.

Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if he has a career renaissance back in Portugal and ends up getting another big move in a few years time. Something similar to Gyokeres (who Fabio is 4 years younger than).
When I say we gave it at go , l mean we didn't just cast him aside last summer....Fabio was given the number 9 shirt , it was up to him to make it his own.....but realistically he wasn't going to cut it at the minute in the premier league, maybe never...

Even when he has done well on loan , he hasn't nailed a starting position down as such....it's a combination of inexperience and his development being stunted by his move to us being far far too early....For us he is offering less nw than he did 3 seasons ago...it's not a dig as I have supported him but just a reality....

We should be actively pushing him at the right club , for a reduced fee but with a big percentage sell on clause....A Sporting Lisbon or say Seville as part exchange for En Nesryri......there's is definitely a player in there but in the right league and that isn't the premier league....it doesn't make you a bad player just not suited.....we should be looking at a similar deal to what we got Rayan for..

Got no problem with the lad but for both parties it needs to be resolved this summer....Fabio needs to play and wolves need a forward option in the squad.....

Lets be honest selling Jimenez for 5m and gambling on Saza n Fabio has largely been a disaster move in the summer...it's been masked by hwang form and Cunha versitilty....it's the type of descision that could off had disatrerous circumstances....we can't make the same mistakes again...we need proper forward options..

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think MEW confused dealing with the intensity of the premier league with the intensity of training. I think forwards especially coming from La Liga and Liga Portugal can struggle with the speed, physicality and intensity of the EPL (plenty have come out and said it). For us the likes of Trincao, Silva & Guedes have all struggled with it despite having talent. That doesn’t necessarily say they didn’t train well.

On the whole I’d say Iberian players are much more “professional” in their approach to training and living right.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
let rangers have him, defended him a lot but lets cut this story now and start fresh for both parties

Same here mate…… defended him, but watching him today play against a premier league standard team at last, so far he doesn’t look like a £10m player. Let along a £35m one…….

I just hope he has a better second half!!!

I like the kid, think in time and the right environment he will have a good career. But he doesn’t help himself with performances like this first half when it actually matters

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play and well done Fabio!!!!!

He has come out like a man possessed second half!!!!

Back
Top Bottom