Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion, Silva has no future here if O'Neil remains in charge.

He picked Fraser ahead of him out of nowhere at Ipswich. He let him leave a week before the window opened when we still had a few games over a busy period. He would noticeably praise Sasa's work rate/application when asked about the two of them. He then said neither would've played had they stuck around despite our injuries.

Silva's minutes drastically dried up after Liverpool and it's hard not to think something went on in the background.

Also, he really wasn't that good today, it's Rangers fans overreacting, as they will continue to do either way however their results go. I saw them on Thursday at Benfica and he played very well, today he was average at best. So far too soon to say how he will adapt to this left side role but the fact Dessers and Roofe seem to be ahead of him as a number nine is not ideal - and I say this as someone who rated/rates him and wanted him to come good this summer.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you ask Millwall, Norwich or Leicester fans at that time they'd have been saying a lot of the same things you read on here. I'm not suggesting he's Harry kane or going to be anything like him. But to say he's worthless and has no market is ridiculous, last season shows he's a tidy young player, who needs to be playing games.
Who said he’s worthless? Not me
He isn’t a premier league starting centre forward either and never has been, unlikely to ever be
Considering that’s what we need why persevere?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Rangers want to keep him so we could see a bid of around 8 million from them I guess?!?
I doubt we'd take that, but for him and Guedes I guess we will be in a position to sell players off below their book value, rather than just let their contracts wind down.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yes, I don't think Fabio will make it as a PL footballer, but this is based on my rampant nationalism and not on my judgement of his footballing ability. That's why I turn up every week and cheer on Lemina, RAN, Sarabia, Gomes, Neto, Cunha, Semedo, why I still miss Raul, Mouts and Ruben. :rolleyes:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is all about moments. Where would Sarabia be now if he didn’t come on and completely change the game against spurs last year? Fabio does seem to try too hard when playing for us but it would only take a confidence building moment or 2 for him to show what he can do. Not forgetting that he is still a young lad
From what I've read, Sarabia was showing top level skills in training prior to the spurs game, and his contribution to the team during matches is clear.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From what I've read, Sarabia was showing top level skills in training prior to the spurs game, and his contribution to the team during matches is clear.
He also gets through a huge shift for the team.

If Fabio is going to make it at the top level then he needs to learn to do the same. He didn't for Wolves this season. I haven't watched him at Rangers, but I hope he is working on that part of his game.

I thought Fraser did the role brilliantly on Saturday. Ran his socks off for the team and did a job within the structure.

I guess he would probably score fewer goals at Anderlecht, though.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rangers only ever fee over 6.5 million was Flo for 12 million. And that was in the good old days. Can't see them being able to afford that now. Hopefully other clubs are keen if he finishes the season strongly.
That’s true. Interesting maybe another loan and contract extension lool

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rangers only ever fee over 6.5 million was Flo for 12 million. And that was in the good old days. Can't see them being able to afford that now. Hopefully other clubs are keen if he finishes the season strongly.
Wow, I didn't realise that bang average tea ladies were so expensive.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
If he shaves his head like Bully, and has a proper pre-season with King Gary, I'm sure we'll see a different player going forward. I liked the ****y confidence he showed sitting on the advertising hoardings after his well-taken goal.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a big issue with Silva, and it's nothing to do with Silva, in fact it's nothing to do with anything, but people just love a pile on and Dan Emery, the writer of this nonsense, should be ashamed

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know what will happen but I won’t give up on him as a player until I’ve seen him have an extended run in the side and still not performed. Only then is is fair to judge him a failure. It’s unlikely to happen though admittedly
Silva is unlikely to get 'an extended run in the side', for all sorts of reasons, while GON is here.

GON likes players who work hard, contribute and are team players, buying-in to the 'family' values that Lemina alluded to, recently. That is the core of our (relative) success this season. Furthermore, if he were to get another chance at Wolves and 'not perform'; it's unlikely that he would have an extended run and would lose his place very quickly.
Silva has failed under multiple managers, who have seen him daily during training and the opportunities that he's had in the team. The fact that none of these professionals (I use that term lightly in the case of Lage), have seen fit to give him 'an extended run in the side', even allowing for our paucity of goals during this period, for the most part, speaks volumes.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The price tag and the talk of being a ‘generational talent’ put way too much pressure on him, shades of the Zele Ismail situation after all that ridiculous nonsense was spouted.
When he is out on loan and free of that expectation he looks so much more relaxed and appears to be enjoying his football and is developing reasonably well for a lad of his age.
I doubt he will ever play with that freedom at Wolves so we should cut our losses, wish him all the best and let him move on.
#freefabio

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Here's a big issue with Silva, and it's nothing to do with Silva, in fact it's nothing to do with anything, but people just love a pile on and Dan Emery, the writer of this nonsense, should be ashamed

I'd like to think no one on here needs to be told this... but for the avoidance of doubt - Fabio Silva is not paid more than Pedro Neto.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took his goal really well at the weekend. Quick feet, good finish.

Interesting that his best work is coming in that left channel. Perhaps he's too similar to others already ahead of him here, namely Cunha and Hwang, to be in consideration for next season.

There's no doubt he would be a good squad player, but I think next season we have the same issue with Fabio that we've always had, that he's not going to be good enough to start, but he needs to be playing regularly to develop.

He's contracted until summer of 2026, so maybe another year at Rangers will be very good for him.

Then he's either ready to come back and start, or if not, he's finally moved on permanently.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great to see Fabio doing well. This thread could soon be entitled "What should Fabio Silva do next with us."

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Done a little digging and asking around to try and finally banish the nonsense rumours regarding Fabio's wages. Internet has him ranging from £40k to nearly £100k per week, and people (not necessarily Wolves fans) repeatedly use the high end wage figures to criticise him.

Unverified, but I believe the contract he signed when he joined was as follows:

Basic weekly wage £37k
Wage if he makes an appearance in that week £42k
Wage if he scores in that week £47k

He subsequently received a £3k per week increase to his basic, bringing that to £40k but I don't know what changed, if anything, with the bonus payments. Also unsure how those bonus payments work when he is out on loan.

BillyBoots

Groupie
Reaction score
To me the biggest two mistakes were paying 35 million for a teenager and making him No 9 not only did that put massive pressure on the lad but made him think he's better than he is

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not surprised that Fabio is scoring a few up there and him playing in Europe is obviously good, but Rangers are mostly playing dross. I'd have liked to have seen what he could do in the championship personally?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Silva is unlikely to get 'an extended run in the side', for all sorts of reasons, while GON is here.

GON likes players who work hard, contribute and are team players, buying-in to the 'family' values that Lemina alluded to, recently. That is the core of our (relative) success this season. Furthermore, if he were to get another chance at Wolves and 'not perform'; it's unlikely that he would have an extended run and would lose his place very quickly.
Silva has failed under multiple managers, who have seen him daily during training and the opportunities that he's had in the team. The fact that none of these professionals (I use that term lightly in the case of Lage), have seen fit to give him 'an extended run in the side', even allowing for our paucity of goals during this period, for the most part, speaks volumes.
Silva getting game time this season would also come at the expense of players who very obviously deserve it more.

Cunha, Neto, Sarabia, Hwang taking most of the attacking minutes over Silva is absolutely as it should be. Getting an extended run in the side over any of them would have been silly...and yet he's not someone who can operate on little cameos (he's young, he needs to learn, etc). So here we are.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to think no one on here needs to be told this... but for the avoidance of doubt - Fabio Silva is not paid more than Pedro Neto.
They've been fully believing for years that Silva signed on more money than Coady and Neves were getting, common sense was never applied in this situation!

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Looks like he's enjoying himself at rangers and the fans are with him. If rangers get champions league they might have the funds to sign him permanently and from what he's been saying he wouldn't turn them down

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like he's enjoying himself at rangers and the fans are with him. If rangers get champions league they might have the funds to sign him permanently and from what he's been saying he wouldn't turn them down
I wouldn’t blame him. It’s guaranteed European football every season and most likely Champions League next season

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mikey Johnston struggled at Celtic and now is ripping up trees at WBA.
Whatever Johnsons situation, the championship is still more demanding than the SPL. If Rangers go out to benfica, the only actual games of any real note he’ll feature in between now and season end will be ones against Celtic, and they’ve even not been that great?

I guess I’m thinking more about his development here from a wolves perspective, when the reality is we will likely sell at the first, best opportunity?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva getting game time this season would also come at the expense of players who very obviously deserve it more.

Cunha, Neto, Sarabia, Hwang taking most of the attacking minutes over Silva is absolutely as it should be. Getting an extended run in the side over any of them would have been silly...and yet he's not someone who can operate on little cameos (he's young, he needs to learn, etc). So here we are.
3 of those players aren't fit. Lets be honest, he would be playing fairly regularly right now if we kept him here wouldn't he?

Back
Top Bottom