Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMG_6527.jpeg

Obviously everybody knows that this particular Facebook group is an absolute cesspit of bile and stupidity but, wow, I don’t understand how some people can see something so wrong in terms of his performance last night. Also the worrying lack of understanding from the comment about playing in a worse league and expecting him to become prime Ronaldo (9) because he’s joined from Wolves and cost £35m when he was 17.

Last edited:

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think his performance last night was the best I've seen him play. He seemed much better out wide as other posters said.

My main issue is his pressing and close passing - he runs around like a headless chicken and can't trap a bag of cement

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was impressive.

Do get the feeling he was more up for it because it was Benfica though...
Have to agree with the last part of that. It’s probably my biggest frustration with him. Personally I think you can see his quality at times but he doesn’t “put it in” enough for me. That might be his style and I’m being harsh but his work rate and endeavour aren’t always where they should be.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to agree with the last part of that. It’s probably my biggest frustration with him. Personally I think you can see his quality at times but he doesn’t “put it in” enough for me. That might be his style and I’m being harsh but his work rate and endeavour aren’t always where they should be.

But this was the case with MGW too, kids just are just inconsistent.

They need 40-50 games on loan somewhere 'starting' games.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his performance last night was the best I've seen him play. He seemed much better out wide as other posters said.

My main issue is his pressing and close passing - he runs around like a headless chicken and can't trap a bag of cement
I don't get the can't trap a bag of cement comment. I think his first touch and close control are fantastic.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is ok but a bit lazy. Compared to say cunha he just wanders about waiting for the ball to come to him. He looks ok in a rangers side. No more no less

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I didn't see any of the R's game last night but your post leaves me confused. You say it's the best you've seen him play (ever or just for Rangers?) but then say he doesn't press, can't close pass, runs about a lot and can't control the ball? Please explain?

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent play for the first goal too. He looks a lot happier and more natural playing on the left side where he's receiving the ball facing goal. Hopefully can get a run there now and they can progress into the next round.

Whatever people think of Fabio or the deal to sign him, this is a very high level he is playing at and having a positive influence in.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds positive, good performances will all do his value the world of good.

Really wish we could rewind to 12 months ago because I don't think his value will ever get to that, we probably could have got £15-20m, perhaps even more with based on performances. We missed an opportunity then, he was never going to come back and be the player some even now seem to hope. He seems a good kid, very emotional and sensitive so for that reason I have warmth and empathy for him, especially after Sheff Utd - but mentally, physically, technically, he is so far from the level required.

I do think he will make a good fist of it in a European league though where the pace generally is much slower.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but mentally, physically, technically, he is so far from the level required.
Can't agree with that really. Last night shows he isn't that far off at all and he's still young. If he could produce the performance last night weekly and improve a little in some areas he'd basically be there.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I know a decent Premier League player when I see one after 60 years of watching the great game.
Unfortunately I have seen nothing whatsoever Fabio that makes me remotely think he has what it takes, absolutely nothing.

Just how much longer do we have to wait for him to come good?

Nuno tried him, Lage tried him, Loppy had him on the bench and GON likewise. That’s 4 managers/head coaches who have worked with him and none have trusted him imo.

I pay no attention to how he is playing in Scotland, because it is light years away from the level of The Premier League. Yes, I hope he scores goals up there, which might persuade Rangers or any other half decent club to sign him. He’s not even a regular starter with them either, is he.

He has got age on his side, which may help, but from a playing point of view and him becoming the focal point in our attack, forget it!

I wish him well, but definitely time to move on imo.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
in a weird way, it must be nice to have a fixed view of the world that nothing, including new evidence or people growing and improving can change.

You crack on with your narrow minded world view Scallywolf, I’m sure it will make you happy

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For the record I'm on team Fabio, always wanted him to succeed. But he still seems a long way away from PL level

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I know a decent Premier League player when I see one after 60 years of watching the great game.
Unfortunately I have seen nothing whatsoever Fabio that makes me remotely think he has what it takes, absolutely nothing.

Just how much longer do we have to wait for him to come good?

Nuno tried him, Lage tried him, Loppy had him on the bench and GON likewise. That’s 4 managers/head coaches who have worked with him and none have trusted him imo.

I pay no attention to how he is playing in Scotland, because it is light years away from the level of The Premier League. Yes, I hope he scores goals up there, which might persuade Rangers or any other half decent club to sign him. He’s not even a regular starter with them either, is he.

He has got age on his side, which may help, but from a playing point of view and him becoming the focal point in our attack, forget it!

I wish him well, but definitely time to move on imo.
Last night he wasn’t playing in the Scottish League though he was playing in the last 16 in the Europa League. As for not being a regular starter, none of the Rangers forwards are as Clement rotates them consistently

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah he did at Forest. Just a different personality.

Also much more apparent talent.
My response was to the poster who said he got 40-50 games out on loan out the spotlight. MGW got that, he was a “nothing” when he went on loan, that’s not what Fabio has had.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still think he should be here, with his head down in training improving the one thing that will govern whether he makes it as a centre forward or not, his finishing.
I can't remember too many games where he hasn't had 2 or 3 chances.
He needs to improve his play without the ball, especially defending, or forget it.

You just can't carry a guy who won't work with the team off the ball unless he is super elite, which Fabio will never be.

If it was just waiting on his composure in front of goal, he would absolutely be here. If he could be trusted at all to play within a structure, he would be at Wolves.

But he just runs around. In his last twenty minutes at Wolves across three appearances he had two dumb yellow cards (and that bull**** penalty) as a striker. Wtf are you doing, Fabio?

Last edited:

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needs to improve his play without the ball, especially defending, or forget it.

You just can't carry a guy who won't work with the team off the ball unless he is super elite, which Fabio will never be.

If it was just waiting on his composure in front of goal, he would absolutely be here. If he could be trusted at all to play within a structure, he would be at Wolves.

But he just runs around. In his last twenty minutes at Wolves across three appearances he had two dumb yellow cards (and that bull**** penalty) as a striker. Wtf are you doing, Fabio?
So, so true...

Kevin Doyle wasn't prolific .. but he played 'the system' well... Fabio would need to be scoring a goal every other game to cover some of the things he needs to work on to play at PL level.

I REALLY hope he gets there, but it's a position that such a small percentage (of a tiny percentage) actually crack at elite level football.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Haven't watched much of him so right off the bat I won't pretend to be as clued up as those of you who have! But, if he's been as good as some on here have said, why sell him straight away? Give him a chance next season I think, give him some games under O'Neil and see how he can help the team. Still a young lad and can still learn.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only watched bits ( and he was effective with that second goal ) but in the bits I saw he did seem to be hiding , staying wide and away from the full thrust of action , which would go with a player low on confidence .

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I only watched bits ( and he was effective with that second goal ) but in the bits I saw he did seem to be hiding , staying wide and away from the full thrust of action , which would go with a player low on confidence .
He was ok but I don't think he really stood out against the other Rangers forwards. Effective for the goal and hard working but lacked quality on the ball, kept running into the opposition.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't agree with that really. Last night shows he isn't that far off at all and he's still young. If he could produce the performance last night weekly and improve a little in some areas he'd basically be there.
" he's still young"
Fpmsl
How many more years are you going to be saying that??

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't watched much of him so right off the bat I won't pretend to be as clued up as those of you who have! But, if he's been as good as some on here have said, why sell him straight away? Give him a chance next season I think, give him some games under O'Neil and see how he can help the team. Still a young lad and can still learn.

Personally, I don’t think he has a future at Molineux. The price tag wasn’t his fault, but it does seem to hang round his neck. He has also looked happier when out on loan, so maybe it would be better for all concerned if he was sold. It is true that he is still young, but I am not convinced that he will make the grade in the premier league.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difference is MGW didn’t have the weight of the fee hanging round his neck.
Yep. You can tell there's a player in there, but when he puts a Wolves shirt on he plays as if he's under a ton of pressure, you watch him play for other teams and there's a certain freedom and confidence he just doesn't have here

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Personally, I don’t think he has a future at Molineux. The price tag wasn’t his fault, but it does seem to hang round his neck. He has also looked happier when out on loan, so maybe it would be better for all concerned if he was sold. It is true that he is still young, but I am not convinced that he will make the grade in the premier league.
I respect your opinion and I can 100% see where you're coming from. Like I said, I haven't seen enough of him to truly know or care either way, which isn't a bad thing. I guess my thinking on it is: if he stays, I'll back him as I do any player, and if he goes, best of luck to him.

Not fussed either way but it'd be nice if he could turn it around here.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think its that price that weighs on his shoulders . That is there in black and white even if he played in Scotland , Spain or Timbuktu .
I think it is the past that hangs heavy when he pulls on a Wolves shirt.

Reactions: LW1

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if his open market value is so low we may as well give him a five year contract at a low salary (around your average Championship player).
Then farm him out to subsidise that low salary and hope he may come good at another club. By then he will be 26 or older .

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if his open market value is so low we may as well give him a five year contract at a low salary (around your average Championship player).
Then farm him out to subsidise that low salary and hope he may come good at another club. By then he will be 26 or older .
What continue to loan him out until he hits some form and confidence??

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in a weird way, it must be nice to have a fixed view of the world that nothing, including new evidence or people growing and improving can change.

You crack on with your narrow minded world view Scallywolf, I’m sure it will make you happy
I have my eyes wide open thanks very much!

New evidence, as you put it (presumably you are on about last night) after 1 match, do me a favour! The evidence is already there and has been for a long time. He is playing in the equivalent of lower end Championship level football and cost £37million.

Obviously, Fabio has grown, but in no way has he improved. If he had he would be here and starting, especially after the injuries we have sustained!

In the meantime I will crack on supporting my home town team, just like I have for 60 years and being very, very happy in my narrow minded world as you put it!

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe it will be 4 years this Summer since we signed him. So little in that time to talk about.

I’ve gotten to the stage now where I’ve put the 35mill out of view.. I watch him only as a young prospect, not a 35m young prospect. Even saying that, I don’t see much to be optimistic about.

I wish him well, I really do.. best to move him on now though.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What continue to loan him out until he hits some form and confidence??
Yes , but tied in to the club for a long period so if he does improve WWFC benefits from what we have done for him in the past.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why on earth would he sign that? I wouldn't in his shoes. I'd run my contract down and walk, as is his right. His fee had nothing to do with him, so in reality he should feel no compunction towards us realising our money back.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why on earth would he sign that? I wouldn't in his shoes. I'd run my contract down and walk, as is his right. His fee had nothing to do with him, so in reality he should feel no compunction towards us realising our money back.
The answer to that is simple. Who would pay him more ?
And if someone thinks he is worth more than a Championship player, then great pay him that and loan him out.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is all about moments. Where would Sarabia be now if he didn’t come on and completely change the game against spurs last year? Fabio does seem to try too hard when playing for us but it would only take a confidence building moment or 2 for him to show what he can do. Not forgetting that he is still a young lad

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think the price tag has killed Fabio really, even now you read the stuff coming from Rangers and it’s “not bad for a £35m striker” etc. Not his fault but he probably needs to move somewhere and start fresh.

Back
Top Bottom