Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Agree. Feels like it will fall in deaf ears but none of what has happened is Fabio’s fault.
How is it not Fabio's fault?
Yes, I get he is young, but younger players than him have set the premier league alight.
He's supposed to apply himself in training, but for a supposed generational talent, he's fragile, slow, poor touch and quite obviously not very good.
Get rid.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the hype when he signed and thought wow, 35 million for a kid, he must be some player. Then I watched his first game full of anticipation of what he could do. Was I shocked as I immediately saw he did not have a clue and frankly could not see how he could be improved/coached to anything like a decent standard. No doubt there is a place for him in the game, but I would not be able to predict at what level he will succeed. Write the fee off asap.
Same here. I went to his first game against stoke and couldn't believe what I was seeing. The stand out was his sheer lack of pace.

I expected a generational talent to have one of the key aspects of a top top striker - pace, strength, technique, or that x factor in front of goal of always hitting the target.

No, nothing. I know it's wrong to make snap decisions about kids and they all grow and develop in different ways, but to become a top international you just have to have one or more of those physical attributes - and Fabio just doesn't.

He will end up back in Portugal and might be a better player in his late 20's but we won't see it I am afraid.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same here. I went to his first game against stoke and couldn't believe what I was seeing. The stand out was his sheer lack of pace.

I expected a generational talent to have one of the key aspects of a top top striker - pace, strength, technique, or that x factor in front of goal of always hitting the target.

No, nothing. I know it's wrong to make snap decisions about kids and they all grow and develop in different ways, but to become a top international you just have to have one or more of those physical attributes - and Fabio just doesn't.

He will end up back in Portugal and might be a better player in his late 20's but we won't see it I am afraid.
Given his lack of standout attributes, I initially wondered if perhaps he might turn out to be one of those clever players, like a berbatov, blessed with something else. Sadly he doesn’t even strike me as being particularly clever. He won’t ever be a premier league striker, I’m certain of it. Just doesn’t seem to have either the natural talent, physicality or even the application/desire. Great scouting there Jeff.

The fabio project is now about minimising the financial hit to us as much as is possible. The Rangers loan has got off to a very poor start in that regard. Can’t say I’m overly shocked tbqh

fleck1

Reaction score
Boils my **** that he's still the highest earner in the squad. He should give half to charity
He is nowhere near our highest earner. He's on around £40k with appearance and goal related bonuses.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
I think his time with us will come to a close sooner rather than later now.

Like everyone on here we don't know the full story behind the deal and why his transfer fee was so high, more than likely it's part of the Mendes carasaul that we have benefited from in the past.

As a player, I'm not sure theres anything in there for us at the level we find ourselves, I can only wish the kid good luck and can't help feel that he's just been a pawn on a chess set. (Although a rather well paid one) I'm sure like most kids who play the game he wanted success first over a nice bank balance

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Feel sorry for the kid.
Wether it is is lack of confidence,effort ,talent, fitness or some other problem the fact is it ain't happening and imho if it wasn't for the ridiculous 35 million fee that Shi wasted on him he would have been moved on a while back.
I can only see him being loaned out until his contract runs out and then the club will probably give him a free.
I hope that he has some success in the rest of his career .
and I wish him well.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel sorry for the kid.
Wether it is is lack of confidence,effort ,talent, fitness or some other problem the fact is it ain't happening and imho if it wasn't for the ridiculous 35 million fee that Shi wasted on him he would have been moved on a while back.
I can only see him being loaned out until his contract runs out and then the club will probably give him a free.
I hope that he has some success in the rest of his career .
and I wish him well.
Feel sorry? I don't. He's on 40k a week.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't impress Nuno. He didn't impress Lage. He didn't impress Steve Clark (I know, I know). He didn't impress Lopetegui. He hasn't impressed GON.

Except for the finances involved, he's an irrelevance. He'll never play for us again.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vitinha didn't impress Nuno. Lage was an idiot. Lopetegui liked him and GON started him.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not much of a Silva fan and always said it was a truly awful deal that was a disaster for our club progress but some of the nonsense here is a little daft isn't it? Give him a chance in Scotland before sticking the knives in ffs.
The answer to the question posed in the thread title right now is "hope that things improve and he does well on his loan at Rangers."

Everyone would love that.

That said, a poor start to his time there (in what looks from the outside like a pretty ideal setup for him playing for another dominant team in a lower quality league) feels bad. Especially because it looks like he could be on the bench more than we'd like.

Perhaps the weekend was a one-off. If he's not doing well enough to even play much (so much that rangers is willing to take the loan market reputation hit by not even playing the loanee), then that is a problem.

Last edited:

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMV it's another poor choice with him, and it sounds like there's some blame to be apportioned to those around him again too.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The answer to the question posed in the thread title right now is "hope that things improve and he does well on his loan at Rangers."

Everyone would love that.

That said, a poor start to his time there (in what looks from the outside like a pretty ideal setup for him playing for another dominant team in a lower quality league) feels bad. Especially because it looks like he could be on the bench more than we'd like.

Perhaps the weekend was a one-off. If he's not doing well enough to even play much (so much that rangers is willing to take the loan market reputation hit by not even playing the loanee), then that is a problem.

Silva was scoring every 150 minutes in the sixth best league in world football last season, as well as scoring in the Europa League knockouts. Whatever you think of his prospects long-term, it's very hard to believe he has regressed so much in such a short time that, based on ability, he isn't able to get game time for Rangers.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Silva was scoring every 150 minutes in the sixth best league in world football last season, as well as scoring in the Europa League knockouts. Whatever you think of his prospects long-term, it's very hard to believe he has regressed so much in such a short time that, based on ability, he isn't able to get game time for Rangers.
And yet we are here.

Maybe he's just rusty and will bang down the door in training.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We are living in a weird world because Fabio is out on loan and not wearing gold (and seemingly never coming back), therefore:
the happy clappers who agree with everything what the club do blindly ( despite saying he'd be worth £100mil right about now) say he's ****.
And those who saw he was garbage from the beginning saying he's ****
So inadvertently Fabio has united the fanbase. Worth every penny

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

worth a read.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't take too much notice of Rangers fans. He'll be excellent today and useless on Tuesday if they don't beat Aberdeen. They also have a tendency to overhype players, all the new signings are amazing until they're not.

But I fully expect them to win the league. Celtic have imploded and simply aren't very good. Close to boiling over between fans/board and Rangers might end up winning it relatively comfortably.

That will give them Champions League money, still not sure how much they would be able to spend on Silva even if he did well. £6-7m max? Then we have the wages.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I wouldn't take too much notice of Rangers fans. He'll be excellent today and useless on Tuesday if they don't beat Aberdeen. They also have a tendency to overhype players, all the new signings are amazing until they're not.

But I fully expect them to win the league. Celtic have imploded and simply aren't very good. Close to boiling over between fans/board and Rangers might end up winning it relatively comfortably.

That will give them Champions League money, still not sure how much they would be able to spend on Silva even if he did well. £6-7m max? Then we have the wages.
On one hand I hope he does well, but on the other….

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He isn’t and never will be PL level. You don’t need to be a top scout to realise this just need some eyes.
I wish the lad well, but to be a slow striker he needs masterful reading of the game like a Sheringham. He doesn’t have that… yet.

I just can’t see past he was a pay off.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he scores a bundle up there. What ever happens he'll never play gor us again . Get what we can for him . Signing him was a huge blunder .

Reactions: Ian

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio is just at rock bottom confidence wise. At Wolves, he's never really had a decent crack in the team while the team itself has actually been playing good football. The pressure of the fee and circumstances of how he has got into the team just havent been right for him. His time here is done though, we need to move on from him, he needs to move on from us. We will be lucky to get 10 million for him sadly.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority but I still think there is huge potential.

lad is 21

intelligent footballer, good movement, works hard, speed improving. Beefs up and I see a top striker developing.

Sure not an Owen electric, more of a Solanke or Watkins who develops.

Solanke 21 - 63 PL games 4 goals (plus 25 other league games 7 goals). Started scoring in Championship at 24.
Watkins 23 - 154 games (below PL) 41 goals. Started scoring in Championship at 24.

Silva 21 - 62 PL games 4 goals (plus 36 games 12 goals).

Yes price was bonkers, but I still think there is opportunity. Can we and he wait though?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pointless comment. He can only score against the team that Rangers are playing.

We know the SPL is generally crap, but the bloke can’t get a brace against Leicester can he?
True, but the 'point' is Livingston are a tiny club, capacity of 9,500, and bottom of the Scottish premiership.

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority but I still think there is huge potential.

lad is 21

intelligent footballer, good movement, works hard, speed improving. Beefs up and I see a top striker developing.

Sure not an Owen electric, more of a Solanke or Watkins who develops.

Solanke 21 - 63 PL games 4 goals (plus 25 other league games 7 goals). Started scoring in Championship at 24.
Watkins 23 - 154 games (below PL) 41 goals. Started scoring in Championship at 24.

Silva 21 - 62 PL games 4 goals (plus 36 games 12 goals).

Yes price was bonkers, but I still think there is opportunity. Can we and he wait though?
I don't disagree with any of this but I think after repeated struggles at wolves it would take a level of mental strength that we haven't seen from him. He looks like he needs a new environment he can grow into rather than being back with us.

Back
Top Bottom