Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 259 66.8%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 53 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 4.4%

• Total voters

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell with powerful sell ons .
Replace him with a decent loan.
This seems like the best idea. If we sell him to the right club for £10m/£12m in the right league then we could, somehow, end up getting our money back with a sizeable sell on clause.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume Wolves and Fabio are considering every option…….guess .we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
Exactly this. Remember he is still only 21 and do we want another player leaving us only to find in a few years he is worth so much more.
We are not in a position to really know how he may develop and the question is do the club have the knowledge themselves to still believe in a few years time he could realise the potential thought at the tijme of his arrival.
My best hope if he is thought still to have potential then loan him out but again extend his contract so we retain control on any future negotiations.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got the finances of the club in such a mess they had to have a fire sale to avoid falling foul of FFP.

Which the rules for are very clear and in black and white, with them being an investment company is quite poor.

Kept lage far too long, then put the academy coaches in charge rooting us to the bottom of the table with a 4 point gap from the place above going into the World Cup because of the incompetent managing of that situation.

Managed to turn the overwhelming positives and great foundation to kick on from in two seventh place finishes, fa cup semi and Europa quarter into a rapid decline due to bad recruitment and letting people who oversaw this stay in post for so long wasting even more money on players who weren’t good enough or physically/mentally/technically strong enough for the prem.

They have done some fantastic things, but please let’s not forget the massive stinkers on the way!!
We had a fire sale due to owners spending THEIR money. The money that indeed helped achieve some fantastic things. Had they spent similar to what Luton have after promotion they’d have been criticised for not spending!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Buy Ali Al-Hamedi from AFC Wimbledon and let him occupy the bench place that Fabio currently does, as there appears zero chance of him being given any game time.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a fire sale due to owners spending THEIR money. The money that indeed helped achieve some fantastic things. Had they spent similar to what Luton have after promotion they’d have been criticised for not spending!

They spent the clubs money too, as it is the clubs FFP not fosun’s bank balance that gets checked and reviewed.

It wasn’t all their money that was spent. As it was the tv money, sponsorship money and fan generated revenue that also gets spent, that isn’t fosuns money, it is wolves money that they are the caretakers for while they are the owners.

so it wasn’t all their money at all is it?

It was invested well at the start, i say that all the time. Way more hits than misses and we used the mendes carousel fantastically.

But the investment squad rebuild/improvements after our second 7th place has been nothing short of shambolic.

The size of fee for Silva, guedes and semedo for example were all too much for the return.
Let alone the car crash of a transfer that was cutrone.

There is one thing to invest, but you have to invest wisely.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see a loan move to Celtic has been mentioned. Might suit him. Big ground with passionate fans and a level of football where he might be able to score a few. The atmosphere could toughen him up, and if he starts scoring freely it should restore his confidence and increase his value.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They spent the clubs money too, as it is the clubs FFP not fosun’s bank balance that gets checked and reviewed.

It wasn’t all their money that was spent. As it was the tv money, sponsorship money and fan generated revenue that also gets spent, that isn’t fosuns money, it is wolves money that they are the caretakers for while they are the owners.

It was invested well at the start, i say that all the time. Way more hits than misses and we used the mendes carousel fantastically.

But the investment squad rebuild/improvements after our second 7th place has been nothing short of shambolic.

The size of fee for Silva, guedes and semedo for example were all too much for the return.

That's rather a unique concept of the "owners" money not being theirs at all. I assume this is not just a simplistic idea of limited liability you are adopting, but an entirely fantastic view that "the club" really does have some kind of independent financial existence separate to the shares that Fosun has in it? Good luck with that should the directors and shareholders decide to call in their loans and capital interest.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1) did I say it was all their money?
2) tell me a club who hasn’t got transfers wrong? I’d say over the Fosun era we’ve had more right than wrong.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's rather a unique concept of the "owners" money not being theirs at all. I assume this is not just a simplistic idea of limited liability you are adopting, but an entirely fantastic view that "the club" really does have some kind of independent financial existence separate to the shares that Fosun has in it? Good luck with that should the directors and shareholders decide to call in their loans and capital interest.

I replied to another poster who said the money invested was fosuns.

The club has its own self generated money and then the additional investment from fosun.

Both cash sources together are used for the running of the club.

Wolves make money off the prize money and tv revenue that comes in regardless of fosun and their injection.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) did I say it was all their money?
2) tell me a club who hasn’t got transfers wrong? I’d say over the Fosun era we’ve had more right than wrong.

1) to directly quote your post:

“We had a fire sale due to owners spending THEIR money. “

There is no other way to interpret that as you saying it is their money, so I said that yes they invested, but they also used wolves cash reserves. If you didn’t mean that be clearer next time…..

2) where did I say no other club did? But going into the third season as I said, do you think it is more right than wrong?

As I said the first few years they got it right.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I replied to another poster who said the money invested was fosuns.

The club has its own self generated money and then the additional investment from fosun.

Both cash sources together are used for the running of the club.

Wolves make money off the prize money and tv revenue that comes in regardless of fosun and their injection.
But a bit of simple maths shows that the "club" does not have independent income that exceeds its liabilities. The capital is Fosun's.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But a bit of simple maths shows that the "club" does not have independent income that exceeds its liabilities. The capital is Fosun's.

Did I say it did? But they do have independent income like I said.

Didn’t talk about those other things did I?

No club operates without owner investment ontop of the revenue it self generated at the level we are playing at. Where did I say it didn’t?

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio Silva to Genoa maybe?
Swap him for Retegui who we were linked with but couldn’t afford to buy.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s been mis-managed here unfortunately.

In terms of the way our managers have used him, I think he's been treated well. He's been given far more opportunities with us, than if he'd been an academy product with identical (lack of) product on the pitch. Managers have all been fair with him. Given him enough time to show that he's consistently not looked up to the level of this league. He had that one Villa match where he had a couple of shots and people cling to that as a sign he had arrived. But he started the next couple of games and was way off it again, so drifted out and that was a result of him, not some manager mistake.

However, I do think there's been significant mismanagement in the way the club bought him as the only Raul backup, despite Fabio being far too young and inexperienced at the time. He should never have started for us back then, when Raul was injured. Like virtually all young players at that age, he should have gone straight out on loan to a lower level. For several years to aid his development. He should have been rattling in the goals in the Spanish second division, or even League 1 and only now even be thinking about him returning for a try at the Premier League. There should have been another, more experienced player bought as striker backup. All the pressure was put on Fabio and that was not his fault.

Part of it is that in general, clubs lose face when they don't play their expensive signings. So the the fee was also a result of mis-management in a sense. If we'd paid the £15m he was initially valued at, then sent out on loan, nobody would have batted an eyelid. Making him our record signing, together with the hype at the time, sent the wrong signals. Again, absolutely not Fabio's fault, but those higher up got it wrong.

Reactions: Ian

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d rather he went to Italy than Scotland. I can’t imagine scoring 5-10 goals for Celtic/Rangers will push his value up much and I don’t think they have significant funds to buy players with. Best case is he goes to Italy, does well and one of the bigger clubs takes a punt on him for £10m.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see a loan move to Celtic has been mentioned. Might suit him. Big ground with passionate fans and a level of football where he might be able to score a few. The atmosphere could toughen him up, and if he starts scoring freely it should restore his confidence and increase his value.
Hoping for Rangers myself

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We should sell him for over £100 million like all the happy clappers said he would be worth around about now.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he isn’t going to get any time on the pitch, then loan him out in January. A few months at a championship club might help him. Sitting on the bench week after week is no good for anyone.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Or he has never ever looked up to it...
To pay that much for a kid, you must go into the transaction having a strategy in place on how to nurture and develop him, regardless of what injuries happen within the squad.

‘This’ is the plan for Fabio, regardless of what happens within the senior squad.

If injuries do happen within the squad (Raul) and we can’t afford a proper back-up, then we can’t afford Fabio in the first place.

By prioritising the investment in him over squad balance, we ironically damaged the investment we made in him by putting too much on him too soon in having him come into the side in Raul’s absence.

Fabio has attributes beyond his years, but I think by now he should’ve had some playing time in the Championship to help adjust to the English game.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d rather he went to Italy than Scotland. I can’t imagine scoring 5-10 goals for Celtic/Rangers will push his value up much and I don’t think they have significant funds to buy players with. Best case is he goes to Italy, does well and one of the bigger clubs takes a punt on him for £10m.
Scoring 5-10 goals in Scotland? Optimist!

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he isn’t going to get any time on the pitch, then loan him out in January. A few months at a championship club might help him. Sitting on the bench week after week is no good for anyone.
Might help him do what? Turn 22?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And he ain’t any good on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom