Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What positions would be your top five priorities going into this summer transfer window?

What would be your top five priorities this summer?

• Goal Keeper

• Right Back

• Centre Back

• Left Back

• Central Midfielder

• Central Attacking Midfielder/#10

• Winger/Wide Forward

• Striker

Results are only viewable after voting.
T

TheConcourse

We’re going to lose 6/7 goals when Neves moves on too, so it’s absolutely essential we find a striker.

Biggest priorities for me: RB, CB, CM, Winger, Striker.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We might not need a striker: it's not so obvious imo. We needed one this season, but maybe not this coming season. If Fraser is given a chance in these next three matches, and does well, we would possibly have Fabs, Cunha, Costa, Sasa, and Fraser. Pick two to start each match. We might even still have Hwang, given the tour announcement.
Stopped reading at might not need

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am fine with Sa as our main keeper but are we happy that Bentley is the right solution if Sa gets a long term injury soon after the transfer window shuts? Think we may need a more proven back-up.

Striker though is most important for me. Need someone pacey, can hold the ball up well, link play and also good in the air. Don’t feel any of Costa, Raul, Sasa, Fabio will be up to what we need next season as our 1st choice in that position.
We brought Bentley in , in January cause we needed someone with a bit more (emergency) experience than sarkic....we was limited as we didn't have any free players in the foreign quota.,....

I don't think he was ever a serious contender as such to replace Sa just a better emergency option than sarkic ....if we free up a foreign spot we may move for someone like bono at Seville or if not a young keeper like Paterson at Sunderland....still keeping Bentley around as a 3rd choice option.....

Bentley was a case of horses for courses January signing.......as I said above at the minute lopetugui only trusts Sa in goal and semedo at right back currently.....if either are not fully replaced, which I suspect they won't be as we have too many already leaving, they will both need some form of competition at least....

Madmalc

Reaction score
Striker x2 to compete/ complement Fabio as Costa and Raul will be gone and Sasa is still to recover from injury to and needs to show longterm reliability.
Right Back at least 2, one to replace Semedo and 2 to cover/ compete for RB and Right Centre Half.
2 midfielders - 1 attacking - 1 defensive to replace leavers.
Left winger who can also defend/ cover for LB.
Right winger with more end product than Adama who is leaving.
Strikers will need to be transfers in so having 2 will reduce the chances one will not perform in their first season. Preferably on a loan to buy deal.
Midfielders and Right Winger to be transfers in. I would like Ward-Prouse as one of them.
RB, RCH and LW/LWB could be returning loan players.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It really depends who JL decides is surplus to requirements. Going by the last few months you'd think it likely, Raul, Jonny, RAN, Adama will definitely go, possibly Sa and Podence, plus of course probably Neves and a few of the youngsters. If so,
keeper, striker, CM, wide forward, CB and 2 FBs.
Not sure what will happen with Collins, Lopetegui doesn't seem to trust him, does he think he can get more out of him with coaching?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I see only 12% say LB, if Jonny and RAN are shipped out, are people happy with just Bueno? That would be very risky.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly think we could see changes in any position, there are obvious ones leaving us like Moutinho and Traore, probably Costa and Raul, we could see Neves leave, Ait-Nouri, Semedo, I don't think there are many who are a shoe in to still be here next season

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang average striker and bad attitude midfielder? I hope we’re aiming far higher than that!
Injury prone striker and midfielder who clearly is using club like saints as stepping stone would be okay with Alcaraz if he’s cheap enough?? Not sure he fits in with the no idiot policy though??

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All we know is that benfica pulled out of alcaraz deal due to a bad attitude. Has alcaraz shown a bad attitude at saints? He scores goals which is something we don't have.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We brought Bentley in , in January cause we needed someone with a bit more (emergency) experience than sarkic....we was limited as we didn't have any free players in the foreign quota.,....

I don't think he was ever a serious contender as such to replace Sa just a better emergency option than sarkic ....if we free up a foreign spot we may move for someone like bono at Seville or if not a young keeper like Paterson at Sunderland....still keeping Bentley around as a 3rd choice option.....

Bentley was a case of horses for courses January signing.......as I said above at the minute lopetugui only trusts Sa in goal and semedo at right back currently.....if either are not fully replaced, which I suspect they won't be as we have too many already leaving, they will both need some form of competition at least....
The home grown rule means prettyuch every team in the prem is gonna end up with a token English keeper on the bench.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The home grown rule means prettyuch every team in the prem is gonna end up with a token English keeper on the bench.
Yes I agree ..... we maybe able to improve slightly on Bentley in the summer with a homegrown keeper...maybe Butland or Alex macarthy.....

Bentley was very much a case of needs must in January...can't believe people see it any other way, or thought he was a serious contender for number 1.

I quite like the young kid Paterson at Sunderland who we have been linked with before....maybe could do a deal with either Sanderson or sarkic going the other way....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We seem to have a manager that knows what we need and will get it in due course. Finance allowing.
Lemina and Dawson were really important . Helping us to those clean sheets against Liverpool ,Palace, Spurs ,Chelsea ,Villa and Brentford.
What a set of results and 18 important points.

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see only 12% say LB, if Jonny and RAN are shipped out, are people happy with just Bueno? That would be very risky.
Conveniently forgetting Toti there? Also, add into the equation the Championship's top assister for the last two seasons, Ryan Giles. It's definitely not a 'top 5' priority in my mind.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Conveniently forgetting Toti there? Also, add into the equation the Championship's top assister for the last two seasons, Ryan Giles. It's definitely not a 'top 5' priority in my mind.
Not forgetting Toti at all, he's a CB that's been used as a stop gap LB because JL doesn't trust RAN or Jonny. The lad has done very well but not sure he'll ever be a modern full back, if Lopetegui thinks otherwise that's fine by me, happy to proved wrong, I really like him.
Giles will be sold surely, nowhere near good enough defensively for the Premier league imo, will have decent Championship career.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% and at least two in each position. We also need 2 midfielders one box to box and an attack minded play maker.
Nunes is the box to box guy. And there is no point signing an attack minded playmaker if we don't find room in the team to play one.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
All being well we will be 100% safe tonight. Then the media, and us, will start on about who is going and staying and who is not willing to sign a new contract and who is going to be sold and released. I am sure this will start happening officially at the club as soon as we are 100% safe probably this week.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not forgetting Toti at all, he's a CB that's been used as a stop gap LB because JL doesn't trust RAN or Jonny. The lad has done very well but not sure he'll ever be a modern full back, if Lopetegui thinks otherwise that's fine by me, happy to proved wrong, I really like him.
Giles will be sold surely, nowhere near good enough defensively for the Premier league imo, will have decent Championship career.
Based on what? He hasn't even been given a chance yet... Toti is playing left back because he gives us a better balance given how much of a liability Semedo can be at times. We had that with Jonny and Doherty in the past. Man City, Arsenal, Brighton and Newcastle all play with a centre back at left back/right back. Ben White, Nathan Ake, Dan Burn, John Stones, Joel Veltman. They don't get the plaudits, but they are important cogs in those systems.

I do think we could sign a "defensive" right back as @Jd132 said, somebody that's good on the ball, that would afford us to play Bueno/Giles on the left without sacrificing too much defensively. Playing with one ball-playing centre back at either RB/LB with an attacking wingback on the other side is becoming quite common now amongst the top teams.

The blueprint is becoming a hyper-athletic midfield three with the freedom to get forward at will and create overloads, which is afforded by playing an extra centre-back at either RB or LB, or both if you're Man City. Inverted wingers that can create and score at will (something we definitely lack at the moment), and traditional #9's with pace and power are coming back into favour.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen I give you mr Scott Carson at Man City . 1.5 M a year @37 to sit in a squad as third choice .

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
En-neysri - striker
Ocampos - right midfield
Scott - attacking midfield
Wan-bissaka - right back (think this would be a massive massive signing) would offer us real solidity at right back.
Centre back - not sure

If Leicester went down, Harvey Barnes for left midfield.

Outs - coady, Jonny, semedo, neves, Raul, moutinho, adama, maybe podence?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot will depend on who stays, who leaves and who is available.

But I'd concentrate on trying to upgrade the spine of the team and fullbacks.

Our success since Lopetegui came in has really been built around the spine of Sa, Kilman and Dawson, Lemina and Neves/Gomes and Costa and Cunha.

We are fine in the attacking wide mid areas, with Nunes and Neto looking likely to be first choices going into the new season. Sarabia, Hwang and Chiquinho offer good backup options here too. Maybe one more to come in if Podence leaves, but this is likely to be a more central player who can play wide too, offering another option to Nunes's role. Scott would be perfect.

A far as an upgrade to the spine goes, a central midfielder to replace Neves if he leaves and a striker to replace Costa if he leaves (or even as well as) are probably the most pressing.

An experienced left-back might be a priority, with all of Ait-Nouri, Toti and Bueno being young and/or unexperienced, or out of favour.

Sa will be our first choice keeper and Semedo will be our starting right back next season unless players become available who Lopetegui sees as an upgrade.

Both are good enough on their day, but too inconsistent, so if better/more consistent options crop up, we might move them on and replace.

Another centre back, to upgrade the Dawson/Kilman partnership might happen, but it's less pressing and another season of those two would be fine.

So my 5 in priority order are:

Striker
Central Midfielder
Left Back
Right Back
Goalkeeper/Centre Back (depending on what's available)

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d say Chiquinho is a good replacement for Traore.

Having said that, given Podence may be off too as well as RAN who has been used as a wide forward (albeit on the left) and that Nunes is being used ahead of our wide options I’d say a a RM is probably still needed too.

Chiquinho has only played a couple of games ..... big call to say he's gonna feature let alone " be a good replacement" for Traore.

Priority has to be a top class striker....... new right back and GK would be a bonus.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Injury prone striker and midfielder who clearly is using club like saints as stepping stone would be okay with Alcaraz if he’s cheap enough?? Not sure he fits in with the no idiot policy though??
What's he done that makes you think he's an idiot?

I see lots of people deriding him on the mix, I can only think it's sour grapes because he didn't end up here...

His scoring record for a relegated club has been very good.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's he done that makes you think he's an idiot?

I see lots of people deriding him on the mix, I can only think it's sour grapes because he didn't end up here...

His scoring record for a relegated club has been very good.
Only going off what others have said he’s clearly got the ability

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First priority must be to find a decent replacement to the Raul of times gone by.
Second prio for me is central defender.We are an injury away on Daws for finding us in a catastrophic situation.
I wouldn´t hesitate a second selling Nathan Collins for a halfdecent sum.Looks all wrong for what we are and what we need.
Third prio is central midfielder.
Fourth is right back.
Fifth...right midfield perhaps?

Runours that Sa is going this summer since his family seems really unhappy with Wolverhampton.
IF he goes..keeper goes straight into number one on prio list.
IF he stays,no sweat.

We will find it very hard to replace Jose Sa.People doesn´t seem to think so,I would strongly advice to think again.
Keeper position is very important.The right guy here get´s us quite alot extra points per season.
Don´t think for a split second we will get away with people like John Ruddy or Daniel Bentley here.
We need much,much better and Jose Sa is exactly that.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chiquinho has only played a couple of games ..... big call to say he's gonna feature let alone " be a good replacement" for Traore.

Priority has to be a top class striker....... new right back and GK would be a bonus.
It’d be a big call to say he’d be a good replacement for the Traore of the Nuno era, but the one who’s been a bit part player this season? Hardly a massive ask is it?

For the record I love Traore, but he’s not featured all that much in 2023 so I don’t see it being that much of a stretch for Chiquinho to cover that.

Agree with your priorities.

Back
Top Bottom