Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What do you think of Jez Moxey?

What do you think of Jez Moxey?

• Runs the club very well. Moxey in.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Runs the club well, but has made vital mistakes this season.

Votes: 58 53.2%
  • Boo! Moxey out!

Votes: 30 27.5%

• Total voters
H

Henry's Tackle

I posted this up on another forum, so thought I'd see what the opinion is on here....

It would be interesting to get a sense of the attitude of the fans on this board to our own Jez Moxey.

Vote in the poll and cast your opinion.

Personally, I think he is a huge scapegoat that has been made by our fans. People are still bitter over the whole "pie and pint" shenanigans (which itself was a goodwill gesture by Moxey), and the managerial farce this season has tipped them into hysteria. I think he runs the club very well. We're sound financially, and he is very good with transfer dealings- often getting players at a snip, and selling them overpriced.

He's definitely made mistakes this season, as has Morgan, but I don't think these were malicious mistakes.

S

SaleWolf

He's a fat, slimy, greasy spin doctor.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Get him out.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's either a CEO and runs the club on behalf of the owner, in which case I think he's failed or he's an accountant employed to make sure we're running in the black in which case he's a success albeit earning 5x more than justified.

As his official title is CEO I think he's failed so "boo, moxey out" for me.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

"Runs the club well, but has made vital mistakes this season" - exactly the same as Morgan for me, with whom I had zero qualms before the season started. More than willing to give them both a chance to oversee our next promotion bid. Moxey has been involved in the appointment of two managers who got us promoted, lets not forget.

W

Woffles

He's a CEO. A very highly paid CEO. A very highly paid CEO who reportedly gets paid a fat bonus if the team do well, but apparently isn't to blame if they don't.

As CEO he's ultimately responsible for the running of the club.

Given that after 12 years in the job there are still clearly issues with some or all of the following -

Merchandise and marketing at the club (BURRDA kit fiasco)
STAFF RECRUITMENT(new manager fiasco)
Ticket pricing
PR
Clear long term strategy for sustainable growth and development
Development of the young fanbase etc. etc. etc.

I would suggest that his position as CEO has to come into question.

H

Henry's Tackle

Merchandise and marketing at the club (BURRDA kit fiasco) - Why was this a fiasco? We got a huge amount of money from Burrda for that deal - more than we would have from anyone else - plus we got a greater than normal cut of profits from shirt sales. The shirts haven't been all that bad either.
STAFF RECRUITMENT(new manager fiasco) Agree
Ticket pricing This isn't Moxey's fault. Our tickets are actually priced very competitively for the league we are in. Football tickets are expensive, but this reflects the whole sport, rather than Wolves.
PR Agree. One of his biggest errors this season is lack of communication with the fans during the managerial hunt - though I do agree with his policy on maintaining confidentiality.
Clear long term strategy for sustainable growth and development We have this - I can't understand why it is a criticism?
Development of the young fanbase etc. etc. etc. Again, there have been a lot of family football offers this season. We have always had quite a big Wolves in the Community presence doing summer soccer schools etc... Maybe it could be expanded yes, but I've never really seen this as a stick to beat Moxey with.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over the last 3 years people need to realise we have had the correct board but the wrong management. That is the only blame I lay at Moxey/Morgan's door for sticking with them, which in some cases you could praise in terms of stability and continuity.

So for me it is "runs the club very well, but as a result of blind faith/loyalty the club has took a step backwards" A defiant and strong backbone of a board would have got rid of McCarthy the day we got promoted, as harsh as they may seem at the time and i get that is with hindsight but the fact of the matter is with the money they gave to Mick we should be sitting comfortably where WBA are right now, at the very minimum.

However, this club is in safe hands and a good footing for the short, medium and most importantly long term future and that is a rarity these days. If they can get this management appointment right, which I think they will in learning from the mistakes they made in February - I am very, very optimistic for the future.

I am sick to death of hearing people throw countless stick and insults and plan silly protests at the board when frankly these are the same complete cretins who wouldn’t know how to throw the dice at a game of monopoly. $$$$ing idiots.

W

wolfyjoe

I am sick to death of hearing people throw countless stick and insults and plan silly protests at the board when frankly these are the same complete cretins who wouldn’t know how to throw the dice at a game of monopoly. $$$$ing idiots.

Although i disagree with your initial sentiments regarding management and still think McCarthy should be at the club, this part is completely true.

R

Redditch Wolves

Utter $$$$ and hope one day an elephant escapes from Dudley Zoo and sits on his big fat slimy head.

W

Woffles

Merchandise and marketing at the club (BURRDA kit fiasco) - Why was this a fiasco? We got a huge amount of money from Burrda for that deal - more than we would have from anyone else - plus we got a greater than normal cut of profits from shirt sales. The shirts haven't been all that bad either.

I should clarify - the fiasco I meant was specifically this year's kit release - postponed at the last minute - wonky sponsor's logo, sponsor's logo peeling off etc.

Personally I also think the club shop is full of tat because of the deals that have been made (by Jez)and that as a result of this short sightedness we're missing out on a major revenue earner. I'd like to know how our Burrda shirt sales compare to previous years and also how Albion's shirt sales have gone since signing a deal with Adidas.

STAFF RECRUITMENT(new manager fiasco) Agree
Ticket pricing This isn't Moxey's fault. Our tickets are actually priced very competitively for the league we are in. Football tickets are expensive, but this reflects the whole sport, rather than Wolves.

I think it is Moxey's fault to some degree. I would like to see much more competitive pricing for Junior tickets.

PR Agree. One of his biggest errors this season is lack of communication with the fans during the managerial hunt - though I do agree with his policy on maintaining confidentiality.
Clear long term strategy for sustainable growth and development We have this - I can't understand why it is a criticism?

Do we? On the football side of things the last five years seems to have come down to 'employee Mick McCarthy and leave everything to him with a couple of his mates'. When he was sacked what was left? Seems a very naive approach to me.

Development of the young fanbase etc. etc. etc. Again, there have been a lot of family football offers this season. We have always had quite a big Wolves in the Community presence doing summer soccer schools etc... Maybe it could be expanded yes, but I've never really seen this as a stick to beat Moxey with.

I think if it could be expanded then I think it should be. See the recent thread on Wolves/Albion areas and the concerns that our 'area' seems to stretch as far a Sedgley. If that's been agreed with Albion then Jeremy Peace looks to have been by far the shrewder in the negotiations. Also why can Albion maintain a shop in Merry Hell and we can't?

Obviously these are only my impressions from the outside, and keeping the club financially viable is the key thing first and foremost, but I do think Morgan should be looking at the big picture.

Don't forget Jez has been one of the top paid CEOs in football for 12 years - surely we should be one of the best run clubs in the country in most ways by now if he was doing his job well.

S

Sandwell Wolf

If Mick deserved the sack then so does Jez, but for some reason our CEO is not as accountable as the manager despite him being largely the reason we've been $$$$ing dreadful this season.

The fans hate him but he thrives off it. He earns too much money and does $$$$ all good for the club apart from keep us out of debt. But we're not supposed to be a business we're supposed to be a football club.

We've just been relegated and lost around £50,000,000 worth of money. Now we might be debt free but it would have been better to gamble a couple of extra million on a few more decent players and stood a better chance of surviving than miss out on another years Greed League money.

Jez has messed up big time but he's too $$$$ing stubborn and too arrogant to believe he has and Morgan is too thick and naive to sack him. We're $$$$ed.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Mick deserved the sack then so does Jez, but for some reason our CEO is not as accountable as the manager despite him being largely the reason we've been $$$$ing dreadful this season.

The fans hate him but he thrives off it. He earns too much money and does $$$$ all good for the club apart from keep us out of debt. But we're not supposed to be a business we're supposed to be a football club.

We've just been relegated and lost around £50,000,000 worth of money. Now we might be debt free but it would have been better to gamble a couple of extra million on a few more decent players and stood a better chance of surviving than miss out on another years Greed League money.

Jez has messed up big time but he's too $$$$ing stubborn and too arrogant to believe he has and Morgan is too thick and naive to sack him. We're $$$$ed.

:sleep:

Go and do the maths and work out how much money Mick wasted. The board backed Mick as much as they could/should and the man is lucky to have had those working above him because had he had a board similiar to Swansea and Norwich then maybe he would have made his previous dross amount of points at Sunderland look superior to that. Oh and wait, what did those managers at those two clubs manage to do? Make us look like toddlers on a budget which was completely inferior in every which way.

You explain Jez and Morgan as stubborn, arrogant, thick and naive - everything your man Mick excells in, absolutely excells in.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Henry's Tackle

The fans hate him but he thrives off it.

Judging on how this poll is going, and the one on the other forum, I'd suggest you're wrong.
As always, it seems to be the (very) vocal minority who "hate" him. Same with the "Mick Out" brigade.

W

Woffles

Judging on how this poll is going, and the one on the other forum, I'd suggest you're wrong.
As always, it seems to be the (very) vocal minority who "hate" him. Same with the "Mick Out" brigade.

There is a middle ground here. I don't hate Jez and I can appreciate that he's got his head screwed on financially - but I'm not convinced that he's actually earning the significant amounts of money he's being paid - there's an awful lot of spin but but we still seem to have plenty of things that need to be improved around the club. I think Steve Morgan needs to look at Jez's role and how well he's actually doing it.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great at number crunching and dealing with the financial aspects of the club - but poor at making footballing decisions. He should be employed to deal with the financial sides only - and someone knowledgeable should be employed to deal with the footballing side of things.

Moxey is also paid far to handsomely for a club of our size. His pay should be at least 25% lower (the money saved could be money spent on a footballing brain working between board and management level).

Barclays Bank wouldn't employ a direct of football to handle their money making decisions - so i'm not sure why we've got an accountant making footballing decisions.

Sort it out Morgan.

L

liquidatorwolf

This forum does not represent the fans. Don't think it needs explaining...

The Mick out brigade had very high numbers on this forum on the 12th of Feb.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% Number 2.

Although I do agree with BNW that the role of the CEO is completely unnecessary in many respects. If, however, we do have to have one, Moxey is alright by me. Everyone makes mistakes and he's still in credit despite - one must say - contributing to the balls-up of the managerial situation mid-season.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over the last 3 years people need to realise we have had the correct board but the wrong management. That is the only blame I lay at Moxey/Morgan's door for sticking with them, which in some cases you could praise in terms of stability and continuity.

So for me it is "runs the club very well, but as a result of blind faith/loyalty the club has took a step backwards" - I am very, very optimistic for the future.

How did "blind faith/loyalty the club has taken a step backwards" lead to getting rid of the sports psychologist. Surely with loyalty he would still be there.

So I don`t swallow the loyalty line. not with Moxey anyway, he has shown no loyalty to the paying fans either as far as I can see.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Jez does HIS job VERY well.

I can't comment on whether he has made mistakes this season or not because ultimately I don't know whether those decisions were out of his hands or not. He doesn't own the club, so doesn't have final say on any matters and can be over-ruled. However he would be advisor to the board.

Whether we need a footballing man to work between Jez and the manager is another matter and the answer is, if we are to make wholesale changes to the coaching staff, probably yes.

But what Jez does best he does better than just about anyone I'd say.

He HAS to be the face of a lot of things, and has to make public addresses and if he has to announce decisions whihc are unpopular they are not necessarily of his doing and certainly never completely his doing as if we had an open chequebook culture here his outlook would change considerably.

He HAS to put a positive spin on everything, that's the norm. He has to avoid making statements that are 100% concrete when there's a chance that circumstances could change.

The only obvious $$$$-up was the "no job for a novice", but again the fact that a novice was appointed was not his fault, but he should have used his usual PR powers to avoid making such a bold claim.

hoop

Reaction score
He's an accountant.

We're a football club NOT A BUSINESS!!

We don't want to make a profit, we want to see successful football. We should spend all the money we make on the football side. Balance sheet should read £0 (no profit no debt)

Let him count the money if he has to stay, but get someone in to run the football side.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Business and football can run together, but business is now the sole aim at our club. It just isn't right where one man who is totally financially orientated has to be involved in most aspects of our club, transfer fees, transfer talks, ticketing, spokesman, PR man, who comes and goes, TV deals, wages, and obviously a few more.

He may well call it the Wolves ethos, but it's really the Moxey business plan. The balance has gone, and has been for some time, football should be this clubs priority not money.

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Runs the club wel lbut has made some big mistakes this season- maybe not all of his doing - the decision to sack mick wasnt unanimous - who knows maybe he was the one saying no dont do it!

The single biggest mistake as we all now know was not having a competent replacement once they fired the bullet- hindsight is great isnt it....

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I don't trust anything he says. I'm sure he was instrumental in keeping MM in post when perhaps SM would have bitten the bullet well before Xmas when the writing was already on the wall. I see he's already protecting himself and saying that he expects to be here to see us promoted next season. I hope he goes in the general purge of the club. After SM he has to be the one where the buck stops for the many catastrophic mistakes this season.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's an accountant.

We're a football club NOT A BUSINESS!!

We don't want to make a profit, we want to see successful football. We should spend all the money we make on the football side. Balance sheet should read £0 (no profit no debt)

Let him count the money if he has to stay, but get someone in to run the football side.

In the P.L. you cannot have one without the other, that is what is so wrong with the whole evil and corrupt system. Glad we`ve got a year off from it.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OH dear OH dear OH dear OH dear:dontknow:

Where to begin (again)

I'll put to one side the fact that the role of CEO is a product of corporate bull$$$$ thinking, and a completely unnecessary, (and very costly) position at a football club and consider Jez.

Does anyone know what his actual tasks are? Has anyone ever seen any document -or been told of one- that shows just where his responsibilities lie?

A CEO officer in the 'real' business world is ultimately responsible for the 'companies' performance. So I will use that as the guidelines to consider Jez.

The 'plan' for the club -such as it can be understood- was to establish the club in the top-flight whilst making sure the club is in fine financial fettle and living within it's means.

In the twelve years he has been here there have been two promotions to it. One ended in dismal failure after one season, followed by several Hoddlebabble years which saw the club starved of any sort of life or momentum. He then tried to persuade the man responsible for this to stay on, but was snubbed, and the club were left facing a new season with about twelve players capable of playing in any team.

In the 'real' business world this performance would have been under severe scrutiny and would easily have been a scenario for him leaving.But he escaped as this is Football.

He was instrumental in bringing in Mick, a plus point in his favour, although SJH had an input in this.

And so the 'plan' was back on track and three years of GL football followed, coupled with financial stability brought about mainly by SJH writing off millions he was owed, so not really much to do with Jez, and SM was true to his word and coughed up the 30 million, nothing to do with Jez again.

The 'plan' to establish alarmingly failed again this season. Only this time the club cut the season short in February after Mick got things badly wrong and was sacked.

The CEO was responsible in part for his appointment.

He then appointed his successor, a man completely without any managerial experience, and his performance saw no wins in the next ten games and subsequently relegated it to the Championship. Proof that they were not established and therefore another failure.

The club has maintained (we are told) a healthy financial state but the loss of at least 30 odd million in the coming year due to the failure to build on three seasons in the GL could have some consequences on this position.

So after twelve years on a millionaire payscale the plan has not worked.

His position carries the title CEO and in a 'real' business I doubt this would be tolerated as he is responsile for the businesess performance, which anyone can see has been pretty poor.

Before anyone starts 'ar but it's Morgan who meks the decisions' don't bother.

If that is the case Moxey is not CEO but Morgan and Moxey should not have anywhere near the power he has or the salary he is on.

He has to go for his failure as CEO, or moved aside to a role more in keeping with his abilities.

In any case I will vote go please. For the above reasons and for the fact the role CEO in football is obscene.

D

Dewsburywolf

I posted what I thought of him on the "Jez is defiant" thread but it appears to have been wiped. Not edited but just wiped :confused: :confused:

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My mate asked me to find out if he could by a season ticket by us for next season.
I was told not until July.
Why? The seat is empty (north bank)
This to me is wrong, I thought they would have grabbed the money!

Coleshill Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm still divided - he doesnt come across well a lot of the time but how do we know what decisions are made by him and how many are made by Morgan?

Morgan obviously provides Moxey will a list of what he can and can't do and limitations on spending etc and Moxey then tried to get the best deal within that bracket.

I'd rather have a Moxey than a Ridsdale, Storrie or even our own JR who completely ****ed up the Robbie Keane deal !!!!

In the current climate there are that many teams that could, will or have gone into administration and we don't have to worry about that !!!!

D

Dewsburywolf

even our own JR who completely ****ed up the Robbie Keane deal !!!!

I thought this myth had been put to bed.

The sell-on clause wouldn't have added up to as much as the money we actually got for him. Clubs who would've accepted the sell on clause weren't prepared to meet the £6 million fee (offering much less) so said fee plus clause would've added up to much less than we actually got for him minus the sell on clause IIRC

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still divided - he doesnt come across well a lot of the time but how do we know what decisions are made by him and how many are made by Morgan?

Morgan obviously provides Moxey will a list of what he can and can't do and limitations on spending etc and Moxey then tried to get the best deal within that bracket.

I'd rather have a Moxey than a Ridsdale, Storrie or even our own JR who completely ****ed up the Robbie Keane deal !!!!

In the current climate there are that many teams that could, will or have gone into administration and we don't have to worry about that !!!!

Then he should not be called CEO and should not have the power and remuneration he gets.

Is he CEO or not?

Call him and pay him according to his position.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought this myth had been put to bed.

The sell-on clause wouldn't have added up to as much as the money we actually got for him. Clubs who would've accepted the sell on clause weren't prepared to meet the £6 million fee (offering much less) so said fee plus clause would've added up to much less than we actually got for him minus the sell on clause IIRC

Thankyou.:rolleyes:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Financially he has run our club well but we need somebody with football knowledge to take over the decisions his been able to make this season. A Managing director or somebody in that sort of role with experience.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jez does HIS job VERY well.

I can't comment on whether he has made mistakes this season or not because ultimately I don't know whether those decisions were out of his hands or not. He doesn't own the club, so doesn't have final say on any matters and can be over-ruled. However he would be advisor to the board.

Whether we need a footballing man to work between Jez and the manager is another matter and the answer is, if we are to make wholesale changes to the coaching staff, probably yes.

But what Jez does best he does better than just about anyone I'd say.

He HAS to be the face of a lot of things, and has to make public addresses and if he has to announce decisions whihc are unpopular they are not necessarily of his doing and certainly never completely his doing as if we had an open chequebook culture here his outlook would change considerably.

He HAS to put a positive spin on everything, that's the norm. He has to avoid making statements that are 100% concrete when there's a chance that circumstances could change.

The only obvious $$$$-up was the "no job for a novice", but again the fact that a novice was appointed was not his fault, but he should have used his usual PR powers to avoid making such a bold claim.

Glad you think so.

Could you tell us what his job entails?

What are his responsibilities?

Does he make all the decisions on club policy? Like a err CEO would? And be accountable for them

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad you think so.

Could you tell us what his job entails?

What are his responsibilities?

Does he make all the decisions on club policy? Like a err CEO would? And be accountable for them

I think he is well worth the huge amount of money he earns per year!:rolleyes:

T

Tettenhall Wolf

My protest vote is boo out, but my true feeling is let him bean count and keep him away from the football.

Wulve5

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cheapskate spin doctor slime ball $$$$

H

Hatch End

Either he works totally under the control of the owner ( either Sir Jack or Morgan ) and is basically only a front man with extra duties on the financial side.....in which case he can't be blamed for anything.............but also in that case he's well over paid!

Or, he's highly paid to make decisions and does so. In that case he's largely to blame for the stupid decisions coming from the Molineux.

Back
Top Bottom