Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What are they worth today?

T

TheConcourse

Sparked by the Kenny Hibbitt thread. What would they be worth today?

I’ll kick us off with 1 player, the next person gives a value, adds another on etc etc - first up…

Sir Stephen George Bull.

What’s he worth in today’s money?

gewolf

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what he would be worth. He should NEVER have been for sale!!!!!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sparked by the Kenny Hibbitt thread. What would they be worth today?

I’ll kick us off with 1 player, the next person gives a value, adds another on etc etc - first up…

Sir Stephen George Bull.

What’s he worth in today’s money?
Difficult to put a price on Bully as he never played in the top division. Scored goals for fun in the other leagues and did ok for England didn’t he.

Without doubt the best striker to have ever played outside the Premier League imo. I would struggle to find anyone to compare.

At todays prices I would hazard a guess of between £40-£45 million. Yes, some may say that is nowhere near enough, but it’s just that lack of regular top flight experience for me.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah Whitnash. That’s just for his right foot!

My favourite ever Wolves player although Neves is running him close.
Wolves payed £10,000 for Peter Broadbent in 1951 equivalent today would be about £350,000(inflation for you)
but a number of mixers would tell you he was Wolves greatest.
only saw him at the end of his time at Wolves so I agree with you about Knowles.
Packed in football at the same age as Neves is now

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves payed £10,000 for Peter Broadbent in 1951 equivalent today would be about £350,000(inflation for you)
only saw him at the end of his time at Wolves so I agree with you about Knowles.
Never saw Peter Broadbent play for us in the flesh.

I listened to my older brothers who always said Peter was a magnificent player.

We have been blessed to have so many superb footballers play for our great club. To put values on some of them at todays prices is impossible, but the glorious memories will always be with us.

I was 12 years old when I went to my first match in 1964. It has been a roller coaster ride for us since then and I feel fortunate to have seen so many great players play in gold and black. Hopefully there will be many many more.

’What Are They Worth Today’ is the thread title. That should be for memories which are truly priceless!

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ollie Watkins went for 30 million was it? In his prime could maybe be between 40 - 50. Depends on which teams wanted to take the gamble to see if bully could make the step up

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully would have easily commanded 50 million plus.

SydneyWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry, but as much we love him, I don't see Bully commanding a fee of anything like $40-50m. After the back-to-back 50 goal seasons in the lower leagues, he never got to 30 in any season in the Championship (accepting some of those were limited by injury). At best, I think you'd get something like $30m for the 1990 version of Bully (aged 25 so in his prime), a bit less before then as he was unproven in Div 3/4 and less again as the years rolled on and injuries took their toll.

It would be a massive leap of faith from someone dispassionate (rather than those of us who grew up watching him) to value him much more than the $28m paid for Watkins (then aged 23 coming off a 26-goal Championship season).

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A 30 year old Steve Bull nearly moved for £1.5m in 1995, according to some football inflation calculator thing, that would be somewhere around £11m-£12m in today's money, and back then, when most players hit 30 they were past their peak. You'd think the prime Bull that was in the England squad would have been closer to £40m in today's money. Couldn't see him going for more than that because of playing in the second tier as much as anything else

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Bully would have been like Vardy but better. People who never saw him won’t realise how good he was. We effectively crippled him by playing him regardless of injury and he was done by 32. If he had been taken care of, hadn’t played against cloggers on **** pitches, targeted each week, and wheeled out every week with painkillers, he would have scored unbelievable numbers. The guy was an absolute monster.

£100mill minimum in todays game.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, but as much we love him, I don't see Bully commanding a fee of anything like $40-50m. After the back-to-back 50 goal seasons in the lower leagues, he never got to 30 in any season in the Championship (accepting some of those were limited by injury). At best, I think you'd get something like $30m for the 1990 version of Bully (aged 25 so in his prime), a bit less before then as he was unproven in Div 3/4 and less again as the years rolled on and injuries took their toll.

It would be a massive leap of faith from someone dispassionate (rather than those of us who grew up watching him) to value him much more than the $28m paid for Watkins (then aged 23 coming off a 26-goal Championship season).

He's 10 times the striker Watkins is. Easily a 50 million player if not more. If i had my Bully tinted glasses on, i'd be doubling that figure.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would happily see Wolves pay a decent wodge to sign a prime Mike Bailey for our midfield...

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you've probably used a 'general' inflation calculator to get from £10k to £350k. A football transfer inflation calculator would be totally different I would guess and players going for around £10k in 1951 would be going for many millions in 2021 not just £350k.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to throw King John and The Doog into the equation. I watched an interview with Niall Quin last week in which he believes he would not have been successful in the modern Premiership. I believe both those players would have been, so John Richards for £40 million, The Doog for £30 million. Any takers?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Bully isn't really a striker who suits how the modern game has gone, I'd think you'd get at least £35M for him though.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you've probably used a 'general' inflation calculator to get from £10k to £350k. A football transfer inflation calculator would be totally different I would guess and players going for around £10k in 1951 would be going for many millions in 2021 not just £350k.
correct.Broadbent was a record fee for Wolves for a teenager.
wonder who we could compare him with today!

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
Difficult to put a price on Bully as he never played in the top division. Scored goals for fun in the other leagues and did ok for England didn’t he.

Without doubt the best striker to have ever played outside the Premier League imo. I would struggle to find anyone to compare.

At todays prices I would hazard a guess of between £40-£45 million. Yes, some may say that is nowhere near enough, but it’s just that lack of regular top flight experience for me.
I think you’re pretty close. I’d have peak Bully with his England caps at a little more than what Olly Watkins went to Villa for, given his lack of top flight experience.

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
A peak Geoff Thomas when we signed him.

28, lots of top flight experience, England international, pre the significant knee injuries.

£750K at the time.

(He had all the qualities to be a player who’d be the absolute perfect fit in the centre of the park with Neves in today’s team, IMHO.)

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said on the Kenny Hibbitt thread he was part of my all-time favourite Wolves forward line - McCalliog, KH, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe. Those 5 in their prime today would surely have a combined value of £200 mil+.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sold Keane for £6 million in 1999 i believe (which at the time was a record for a homegrown teenager). In today's money I can see this being around £20 million - £25 million.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sold Keane for £6 million in 1999 i believe (which at the time was a record for a homegrown teenager). In today's money I can see this being around £20 million - £25 million.
We never inserted a sell on clause to get a % of future profits when we sold Robbie.

He was only19 when he left us for Coventry and it was obvious he would sell for big money in future. He played for Inter Milan, Spuds and Liverpool which confirmed that!

How on earth did John Richards (I think he was CEO at the time) not insert a sell on clause is a mystery to me.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Unless you compare him to Fabio Silva, when Keane would have been worth about £60 million.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How on earth did John Richards (I think he was CEO at the time) not insert a sell on clause is a mystery to me.

I think he said that Keane's agreed value was less than £6 million, but we pushed for more cash up front and no clause because we needed the money instantly, and Keane had very recently got a hotshot agent who was taking him away whatever happened.
It wasn't that we didn't consider a sell-on clause, we chose not to so we could maximise the instant income and drive a harder bargain with Coventry. I think we got all the money in a single payment? Desperate times etc..

Back
Top Bottom