Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

West Midland Teams

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Well not quite a mansion! Cambridgeshire definitely ain't cheap (I lived in S W Cambs for many years), compared, say, to the Midlands.

What's happening is that London is effectively massively expanding. Towns in the Thames Valley like Didcot, which is about 50 miles out of London, and where there is massive housebuilding going on, are easily commutable (44 mins fastest train) and the house prices are miles below London ones. So you can live in Didcot for half what it costs in, say, Croydon, and it's just as quick to get in by train. That's why, in retirement, we moved back to Shrops: there's now massive overcrowding in the S East.
It was a mansion in comparision to his house in Enfield! 1/8 mile of land with it too. This is a good friend of mine. But i agree midlands prices are much cheaper than pretty much anywhere south and east.
Wolverhampton has a lot going for it if you live in the North or West sides. Beautiful countryside is a walk away. Which is why the Wolves players live there!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
prior to the premier league, there were still big clubs with money and those without, but the difference between the top clubs and the rest wasn't as big financially, and possible to clubs to still compete and be successful, so there was a bit more of variety in those who were around the top. The additional TV money and advertising merchandise etc. since the premier league has meant the gap has increased, not just between the premier league and the rest, but between the top and the bottom of the premier league. The larger clubs who were there when it started have generally got richer, making it easier to stay there. I.e. can afford players, players want to play for the better/top teams, teams at top have a higher profile thus more fans at home and abroad, easier to attract bigger sponsors etc. But there is still the factor of the club needing to be managed well on the pitch, and off it to be able to market it and attract investment etc. In that off pitch investment side London is a more attractive base than elsewhere and is where the rest of the money is. It's not 100% guarantee though, Villa a decent size and doing reasonably well when the prem started but have faded in recent years. Newcastle and Leeds overspent got into difficulties and never fully recovered. Or downfall game really in the 80s and we missed the boat for big money at the start of the prem and so still playing catch up, only now getting to a position where we can even get close to competing. Leicester have done it though only once.

In short now it is easier for those at the top with the money to be able to stay there than it is for the rest to catch up

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a mansion in comparision to his house in Enfield! 1/8 mile of land with it too. This is a good friend of mine. But i agree midlands prices are much cheaper than pretty much anywhere south and east.
Wolverhampton has a lot going for it if you live in the North or West sides. Beautiful countryside is a walk away. Which is why the Wolves players live there!
Indeed. That's where I live too. In fact one of the Wolves management team lives just around the corner from me in the same tiny village. Shropshire is a little jewel, but you have to have a car to go anywhere, as the public transport is non-existent. We moved back here 4 years ago after nearly 60 years away to escape the horrors of the south east. The house is twice as big for half the price that it would be daan sarf. So it ay all bad

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Indeed. That's where I live too. In fact one of the Wolves management team lives just around the corner from me in the same tiny village. Shropshire is a little jewel, but you have to have a car to go anywhere, as the public transport is non-existent. We moved back here 4 years ago after nearly 60 years away to escape the horrors of the south east. The house is twice as big for half the price that it would be daan sarf. So it ay all bad
I can guess where abouts you live then, and more power to you for getting a house there!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Friday night was the best the midlands had to offer including Leicester very worrying!!

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder how clubs have consistently 'kept it together'.

We had a wonder side in the 50's, did us being from a town in the Midlands, not a large city cost us that continued success? I'm not sure.

We ended up in financial difficulties in the early 80's which cost us two decades of top flight football. We weren't really a title threatening team in the 70's - although we had a good one, there is no denying that. Big mistakes made regarding Molineux, rogue owners and we're staring at non league football.

How have the likes of Arsenal managed to be an ever present top flight club? I know they're a big club, from London, but to be consistently at the top level is an achievement. Everton over a 100 years in the top flight - amazing achievement.

Liverpool and Man United have both dropped into the second division.

Football is indeed cyclic and a lot of it is to do with having an immense side that managers struggle to replicate. Players get old, the game evolves etc.

Villa did threaten in the 90's under Big Ron and Deadly Doug's millions. They were a club on the up. A bit like us at the time, just a league below.

I really do wonder what would have happened at Wolves if we'd have done it and got promoted in the 90's. I think Jack would have gone for it, like Walker at Blackburn did.

R

reanswolf

There was a recent survey done as to which city was Englands true second city.

94% of Brummies said Birmingham.
89% of Yorkshire said it was Leeds.
91% of Scousers said Liverpool
but
100% of the Mancunians asked said London.
Oh Mancs only saw themselves as the 3rd or 4th city?

I'd say they were just ahead of Liverpool so 3rd myself.

D

Deleted member (smith)

There is an undercurrent that those who follow on tv or are not regulars at molineux are not true fans. However big 6 is determined by revenue not fans in the stadium. One day I was watching cricket at old trafford and happened to be outside the football stadium . Two coaches drew up and about 120 Japanese tourists got out….apparently they pay 50 pounds each to have a tour of the hallowed stadium and touch the grass.

Fosun understand that they must build a global brand to compete in the big leagues… I think Wolverhampton would be better off to forget the West Midlands and marker rural staffordshire as the heartland of England and a wonderful place to live.

First time I went to molineaux was in the late 1960s although I had been a long distance supporter since the early 1960s ….the train into Birmingham was a real culture shock …like something out of peaky blinders….not an image to compete with Paris, Rome or Barcelona. The big six is highly dependent on sustainable revenues and that takes time to build ….to date Fosun have done a wonderful job. Long May it continue .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder how clubs have consistently 'kept it together'.

We had a wonder side in the 50's, did us being from a town in the Midlands, not a large city cost us that continued success? I'm not sure.

We ended up in financial difficulties in the early 80's which cost us two decades of top flight football. We weren't really a title threatening team in the 70's - although we had a good one, there is no denying that. Big mistakes made regarding Molineux, rogue owners and we're staring at non league football.

How have the likes of Arsenal managed to be an ever present top flight club? I know they're a big club, from London, but to be consistently at the top level is an achievement. Everton over a 100 years in the top flight - amazing achievement.

Liverpool and Man United have both dropped into the second division.

Football is indeed cyclic and a lot of it is to do with having an immense side that managers struggle to replicate. Players get old, the game evolves etc.

Villa did threaten in the 90's under Big Ron and Deadly Doug's millions. They were a club on the up. A bit like us at the time, just a league below.

I really do wonder what would have happened at Wolves if we'd have done it and got promoted in the 90's. I think Jack would have gone for it, like Walker at Blackburn did.
I agree much if this but Everton have not been on the top division for over 100 years. They were relegated in 50/51.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is an undercurrent that those who follow on tv or are not regulars at molineux are not true fans. However big 6 is determined by revenue not fans in the stadium. One day I was watching cricket at old trafford and happened to be outside the football stadium . Two coaches drew up and about 120 Japanese tourists got out….apparently they pay 50 pounds each to have a tour of the hallowed stadium and touch the grass.

Fosun understand that they must build a global brand to compete in the big leagues… I think Wolverhampton would be better off to forget the West Midlands and marker rural staffordshire as the heartland of England and a wonderful place to live.

First time I went to molineaux was in the late 1960s although I had been a long distance supporter since the early 1960s ….the train into Birmingham was a real culture shock …like something out of peaky blinders….not an image to compete with Paris, Rome or Barcelona. The big six is highly dependent on sustainable revenues and that takes time to build ….to date Fosun have done a wonderful job. Long May it continue .
I am a little confused. Most people who have been fans for 60 years can spell the name of our stadium correctly.

D

Deleted member (smith)

I am a little confused. Most people who have been fans for 60 years can spell the name of our stadium correctly.
My apologies …hope you are not mortally offended ….many people don’t spell or type very well….we live with the affliction….especially very old people who don’t see too well and have the beginnings of dementia…such is life ….sometimes I forget the e at the end of Dave Wagstaffe too.

I assure you that it’s not the sixty years that affected my spelling ….I was always no good at it and rarely bother to spell check everything leaving that to the man at apple …
On the bright side you are only confused ….

D

Deleted member drgr12429

My apologies …hope you are not mortally offended ….many people don’t spell or type very well….we live with the affliction….especially very old people who don’t see too well and have the beginnings of dementia…such is life ….sometimes I forget the e at the end of Dave Wagstaffe too.

I assure you that it’s not the sixty years that affected my spelling ….I was always no good at it and rarely bother to spell check everything leaving that to the man at apple …
Forums are very unforgiving, and people shoot themselves in the foot sometimes with replies!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was intending to gently tweak your tail. I was genuinely unaware that you had health issues. You please look after yourself, ok.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The North West and London are, as much as I hate to admit it, the main areas of success historically in English football. This continues today.

A few clubs from outside of there have had their moments, us in the 50s, Leeds in the 70s, Forest in the early 80s, but all the way along there's been a London or north west club on their coat tails. In the 50s it was Utd, in the 70s it was a few north west clubs, the early 80s it was Liverpool. All the way along clubs like Villa, Everton, Man City, and occasionally Newcastle and the like were hovering too, meaning their 'big club' credentials have always been up there.

Our lack of success regionally has nothing to do with economics. The north west suffered just as much as us during deindustrialisation; look at Liverpool in the 70s and 80s! The working class in London suffered too - there are few dockers in south and east London now; all their kin are on **** wages; I lived 8n Basildon for a bit (where the working class east London moved out to) and they're all skint.

The north west and London have always been at the top of English football, it's just that in Chelsea and Man City we have a slightly different hegemony in terms of clubs, but not in terms of locale. For me the big 3 since 1970 have been Arsenal, United and Liverpool; there's no conspiracy - Bristol has some well supported clubs but they're nothing in terms of success...

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The North West and London are, as much as I hate to admit it, the main areas of success historically in English football. This continues today.

A few clubs from outside of there have had their moments, us in the 50s, Leeds in the 70s, Forest in the early 80s, but all the way along there's been a London or north west club on their coat tails. In the 50s it was Utd, in the 70s it was a few north west clubs, the early 80s it was Liverpool. All the way along clubs like Villa, Everton, Man City, and occasionally Newcastle and the like were hovering too, meaning their 'big club' credentials have always been up there.

Our lack of success regionally has nothing to do with economics. The north west suffered just as much as us during deindustrialisation; look at Liverpool in the 70s and 80s! The working class in London suffered too - there are few dockers in south and east London now; all their kin are on **** wages; I lived 8n Basildon for a bit (where the working class east London moved out to) and they're all skint.

The north west and London have always been at the top of English football, it's just that in Chelsea and Man City we have a slightly different hegemony in terms of clubs, but not in terms of locale. For me the big 3 since 1970 have been Arsenal, United and Liverpool; there's no conspiracy - Bristol has some well supported clubs but they're nothing in terms of success...
Utd in the Big 3 since 1970??? Between 1967 and 1992 they never won the league... 25 years in the wilderness. I think a lot of your post is far too broad brush. Football success has nothing todo with economics? At the moment as has already been said in the thread we have Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Brentford, Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Watford all in the PL and soon there'll also be Fulham. That'll still be 9 out of 20 from London and the S East assuming Watford go down. Once upon a time Blackburn, Bolton, Preston, Blackpool, Burnley were all North West regulars in the top division. There's been a massive shift in the geography of top football.

D

Deleted member (smith)

I was intending to gently tweak your tail. I was genuinely unaware that you had health issues. You please look after yourself, ok.
No no …to be fair my health is ok for an old git….I couldn’t spell or type when I was a young git…Mind you worrying about my spelling of molineux ….which could be senior moment or a typo( it was spelled spelt ? Correctly in the first line …distracts from the point that to be a global giant you must stop thinking West Midlands ..think global brand …think Billy Wright …right?

Glasgow rangers and Glasgow Celtic are international brands despite Glasgow if you know what I mean…

No reason the biggest club in the world can’t be in a mythical Staffordshire? Home of the bull terrier and the finest football club in the world .

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My old man has supported Wolves since 1953 but continually writes 'Molyneux' when ever he mentions the ground in a text message or e-mail :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member (smith)

My old man has supported Wolves since 1953 but continually writes 'Molyneux' when ever he mentions the ground in a text message or e-mail :rolleyes:

That’s interesting …Your dad may not be far wrong….The name is very ancient and originally Norman from the town of Molineaux . However like many Norman names it is frequently spelled ( spelt) differently over the years.

‘This distinguished name, with spellings which include Molyneux, Molineaux, Molines, Mullineaux, and Mollyneux, is French. It is of locational origin from a place in Seine-Maritime, Normandy, called Moulineaux, so named from the plural form of the Old French "Moulineau", a diminutive of "moulin", meaning a mill.”

Molineaux Spelling Variations

Multitudes of spelling variations are a hallmark of Anglo Norman names. Most of these names evolved in the 11th and 12th century, in the time after the Normans introduced their own Norman French language into a country where Old and Middle English had no spelling rules and the languages of the court were French and Latin. To make matters worse, medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, so names frequently appeared differently in the various documents in which they were recorded. The name was spelled Molinieux, Molinaux, Molineaux, Molineux, Molinex and many more.

The surname Molineaux was first found in Lancashire as "an ancient Norman family, who have been possessed of the manor of Sefton, in this county, from the period of the Conquest, or very soon afterwards: it was held as a knight's fee, as of the Castle of Lancaster." William de Molines was the first recorded ancestor.

The Molineux name originates from Benjamin Molineux, a successful local merchant (and a distant relative of the now extinct Earls of Sefton) who, in 1744, purchased land on which he built Molineux House (later converted to the Molineux Hotel) and on which the stadium would eventually be built.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
That’s interesting …Your dad may not be far wrong….The name is very ancient and originally Norman from the town of Molineaux . However like many Norman names it is frequently spelled ( spelt) differently over the years.

‘This distinguished name, with spellings which include Molyneux, Molineaux, Molines, Mullineaux, and Mollyneux, is French. It is of locational origin from a place in Seine-Maritime, Normandy, called Moulineaux, so named from the plural form of the Old French "Moulineau", a diminutive of "moulin", meaning a mill.”

Molineaux Spelling Variations

Multitudes of spelling variations are a hallmark of Anglo Norman names. Most of these names evolved in the 11th and 12th century, in the time after the Normans introduced their own Norman French language into a country where Old and Middle English had no spelling rules and the languages of the court were French and Latin. To make matters worse, medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, so names frequently appeared differently in the various documents in which they were recorded. The name was spelled Molinieux, Molinaux, Molineaux, Molineux, Molinex and many more.

The surname Molineaux was first found in Lancashire as "an ancient Norman family, who have been possessed of the manor of Sefton, in this county, from the period of the Conquest, or very soon afterwards: it was held as a knight's fee, as of the Castle of Lancaster." William de Molines was the first recorded ancestor.

The Molineux name originates from Benjamin Molineux, a successful local merchant (and a distant relative of the now extinct Earls of Sefton) who, in 1744, purchased land on which he built Molineux House (later converted to the Molineux Hotel) and on which the stadium would eventually be built.
This looks like a c&p? You need to provide a link please.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now that we have the Designer outlet in Cannock open we might be able to tempt a few WAGs of decent players to persuade them to move this way !!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And

There's at least one incorrect 'fact' there. Wolves record attendance of 61,315 at Molineux was not set at a First Division match against Liverpool, it was at a 5th Round FA Cup tie against them. The score is correct though, 4-1 to Wolves.

Back
Top Bottom