Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wembley 1970

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
image.jpeg

This was Wembley in 1970 for the FA Cup Final between Chelsea and Leeds United. The game was played earlier than usual on 11 April due to the World Cup in Mexico. The week previously, the Horse of the Year Show had been held at Wembley and the pitch was in a very poor condition. Terry Cooper of Leeds said, "You needed hooves to play on that pitch".

How would todays players cope on that pitch... :)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 31652

This was Wembley in 1970 for the FA Cup Final between Chelsea and Leeds United. The game was played earlier than usual on 11 April due to the World Cup in Mexico. The week previously, the Horse of the Year Show had been held at Wembley and the pitch was in a very poor condition. Terry Cooper of Leeds said, "You needed hooves to play on that pitch".

It might discourage swallow dives and rolling around on the ground - especially if they hadn't been very thorough in cleaning up after the horse show! Many parks pitches still have similar deterrence to going to ground too easily.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I need to check something here Frank....
As a kid when entertainment was not what it is today (to say the least) I used to take an interest in Penwood Forgemill, so the Horse of the Year Show was regular viewing. However my memory is that it was an indoor event held in Wembley Arena, not on the 'hallowed turf' /mudheap?

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I need to check something here Frank....
As a kid when entertainment was not what it is today (to say the least) I used to take an interest in Penwood Forgemill, so the Horse of the Year Show was regular viewing. However my memory is that it was an indoor event held in Wembley Arena, not on the 'hallowed turf' /mudheap?

I don't much about show jumping, so I am not sure. But for whatever reason the Wembley pitch was used in 1970. I do not know about other years.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I don't much about show jumping, so I am not sure. But for whatever reason the Wembley pitch was used in 1970. I do not know about other years.
Cheers Frank, I've looked it up and I'm a bit confused. Wiki says Horse of the Year Show was at Wembley Stadium in 1970, but that it was held at Wembley Arena from 1959 for four decades. The International Horse Show was held at Wembley Stadium once though apparently, so maybe it was that.

Sorry I know none of this is the point of the thread, I just have a slight paranoia about false childhood memories!

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers Frank, I've looked it up and I'm a bit confused. Wiki says Horse of the Year Show was at Wembley Stadium in 1970, but that it was held at Wembley Arena from 1959 for four decades. The International Horse Show was held at Wembley Stadium once though apparently, so maybe it was that.

Sorry I know none of this is the point of the thread, I just have a slight paranoia about false childhood memories!
There were 2 separate shows as you say. No idea why one was held outdoors that year.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember Ellary watching the rerun of the replay where some of the tacking /fouling was ridiculous.
I can’t remember the exact numbers but he said if it was refereed by today’s standards there would be something like 6 reds and 12 yellows .How Charlton ,Osgood and Hunter remained on the pitch was a miracle .

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks bliss compared to some of the Wolverhampton park's pitches I used to play on. But please, no more pictures of that bar steward Bremner on here.
I played on Parkes Hall Social pitch, Lower Gornal, in the Wolverhampton Sunday League.

If you could play on that pitch, you could play on anything. It was a sloping mud heap with a stream behind one of the goals.

The ball would go in the stream and you had to have a fishing net to get it out!

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 31652

Whoever arranged to have the Horse of the Year Show at English footballs home at the time should have been horse whipped! :)

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 31652

Never seen Leeds in red socks before. Pitch looks awesome, almost like a swamp

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never seen Leeds in red socks before. Pitch looks awesome, almost like a swamp

Leeds away kit was all yellow and they use to wear it nearly every away game. I was surprised they didn't play in yellow in the final. Having decided to play in their traditional all white kit, there was a clash of sock colours, so Leeds had to wear different colour socks.

The pitch was very poor, but not as bad as the Baseball ground.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Ellary watching the rerun of the replay where some of the tacking /fouling was ridiculous.
I can’t remember the exact numbers but he said if it was refereed by today’s standards there would be something like 6 reds and 12 yellows .How Charlton ,Osgood and Hunter remained on the pitch was a miracle .
It was the era where you could tackle from behind and it was expected that the full back or centre halves would let the opposing forwards ‘know they were in a game’. Refs were far more lenient then. I’m probably wrong but the only sending offs I can think of from that era were for fighting rather than fouling or fouls.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was the era where you could tackle from behind and it was expected that the full back or centre halves would let the opposing forwards ‘know they were in a game’. Refs were far more lenient then. I’m probably wrong but the only sending offs I can think of from that era were for fighting rather than fouling or fouls.

That was usually the case. Bookings were not very common and players were hardly ever sent off. As you say, if they were it was usually for fighting, except for the Doog who was sent off for giving the linesman an earful.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was usually the case. Bookings were not very common and players were hardly ever sent off. As you say, if they were it was usually for fighting, except for the Doog who was sent off for giving the linesman an earful.
Am I right in remembering that yellow cards were introduced, then stopped and then reintroduced over the 70s and 80s. For a period of time the ref only had a red card, in fact he may not have had one of those as I remember a couple of sending offs where the ref just pointed to the dressing room. There were still cautions but it was literally the ref writing the name in the book and if there were several people around the ref, you never knew who had been cautioned or not.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think they used it every year to keep the horses "stabled" before trotting them across to the Arena. It was just bad timing on this occasion that the cup final was moved forward a month.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing I remember about the Horse of the Year Show was it always seemed to be on bloody Sportsnight before the football highlights came on ! This was in days before Video Recorders and many light years before Sky Plus and other gizmos. The battle to stay awake as it was a Wednesday with work looming on a Thursday was a fight I lost too many times ! The BBC would have these nags on until 10.30 at least and the amount of times I woke on the sofa to a blank screen having seen zero seconds of the football highlights ( remember folks these were the days when the BBC shut down at about Midnight after playing the national anthem :):):) ) was more times than not !

My Mate and I always have a laugh about the state of the pitches on the Big Match Revisited and two of the worst involve Wolves. The incredible frozen pitch at Chelsea in the 1976/77 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge where one side is okay the other is a skating rink. Then the Wolves v Shrewsbury 1979 FA Cup Quarter Final at The Molineux where the Waterloo Road side of the pitch has more sand than a scene from Lawrence of Arabia :D:D:D

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was used for show jumping that one and only year.
Seems this might be a myth. Horse of the year show actually moved from White City to Empire Pool not the stadium in the late 60s, but the Royal International Horse Show was held on the pitch twice in 68 and 69. The damage to the turf for the 1970 final was probably a result of the horse show, but a long term one, after poorly restored turf went through a British winter and failed to fully recover the following spring, rather than an immediate effect of a poorly planned event schedule. The gist being the groundsmen were to blame rather than the administration. ( Pitch apparently fully relaid after 69 show.)

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Seems this might be a myth. Horse of the year show actually moved from White City to Empire Pool not the stadium in the late 60s, but the Royal International Horse Show was held on the pitch twice in 68 and 69. The damage to the turf for the 1970 final was probably a result of the horse show, but a long term one, after poorly restored turf went through a British winter and failed to fully recover the following spring, rather than an immediate effect of a poorly planned event schedule. The gist being the groundsmen were to blame rather than the administration. ( Pitch apparently fully relaid after 69 show.)
The plot thickens! This history has it at Wembley Stadium for 2 years, and '68 was the first of those on this Pathe video.

Disappointed there's not more love for Penwood Forgemill, was sure one of his old stable lads would be on here!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I right in remembering that yellow cards were introduced, then stopped and then reintroduced over the 70s and 80s. For a period of time the ref only had a red card, in fact he may not have had one of those as I remember a couple of sending offs where the ref just pointed to the dressing room. There were still cautions but it was literally the ref writing the name in the book and if there were several people around the ref, you never knew who had been cautioned or not.

I'm not sure on this, the old grey matter isn't what it was. However I think yellow and red cards were introduced in the mid '70's. Though, weren't they used before that for a World Cup, probably 1974. One thing I do know is that David Wagstaffe was the first player to be shown a red card in an English game. I think he had left Wolves and was playing for Blackburn Rovers.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The plot thickens! This history has it at Wembley Stadium for 2 years, and '68 was the first of those on this Pathe video.

Disappointed there's not more love for Penwood Forgemill, was sure one of his old stable lads would be on here!
Just been talking to my wife about your post, in particular Penwood Forgemill as I recalled she used to mention him. These days she suffers from vascular dementia and her memories are sometimes a bit confused. It cheered her up no end though, as she remembered going to see the horse at his stable. - somewhere near Penn Common?

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just been talking to my wife about your post, in particular Penwood Forgemill as I recalled she used to mention him. These days she suffers from vascular dementia and her memories are sometimes a bit confused. It cheered her up no end though, as she remembered going to see the horse at his stable. - somewhere near Penn Common?
Down the road from The Stags Head. Where's the stags head you ask....6 foot from it's tail I would respond. Boom Boom

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
That's lovely thanks. My Grandad used to take me out looking for dandelion and burdock, he lived off the Dudley Rd, but we used to walk over Penn Common and look towards the stables. I'm not horsey at all, but he was a little horse (relatively) that used to jump the massive fences, so always a bit of a plucky hero.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds away kit was all yellow and they use to wear it nearly every away game. I was surprised they didn't play in yellow in the final. Having decided to play in their traditional all white kit, there was a clash of sock colours, so Leeds had to wear different colour socks.

If there was the internet back then and football forums I'd imagine the Leeds one would have been ablaze with outrage over the red socks

Mind you not much has changed really: all I need to do is mentioned hooped socks on here and people lose their minds :D

bring em back!!!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that this was discussed before but Oliver looked again too....

.... and God only knows what Dean on VAR would have done lol....

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember around that time when Norman Hunter and Francis Lee had a disagreement on the pitch, I think it started when Lee took exception to a tackle by Hunter. Anyway, it ended up with both players having a real fight, with punches flying everywhere and if I remember correctly I think Hunter came off worse. Back then, you had to be able to look after yourself.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Revie changed there colours from yellow top blue shorts when he first took over as manager
He said all white like Real Madrid would give players the lift

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks bliss compared to some of the Wolverhampton park's pitches I used to play on. But please, no more pictures of that bar steward Bremner on here.
Ex players reckon Giles was even worse (off the ball when the ref was looking elsewhere). Still loathe that team many years later. Truth was they were good enough without cheating. Revie was a vile individual however...

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 31680
Bremner when faced by a real hard man (Mackay was certainly not a dirty player but for once lost his temper when Bremner deliberately kicked him where he had just recovered from two broken legs)

Bremner certainly picked the wrong man to fall out with. Mackay was as hard as nails and very tough, but also very fair. The look on Bremners face says it all.

Back
Top Bottom