Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Weimann and Lambert failing to see the big picture?

P

PackerWolf

Well, we witnessed our Wolves limp over the line against one of the poorest teams the Championship has ever seen (For reference, lowest points ever in the Championship/Division One was Stoke - 17, in 1984/85 followed by WBA and Derby with 24 in 1985/86 and 1990/91 respectively) on Saturday just gone (11 March 2017). Despite the performance it appears as though Lambert and Weimann in a recent Express and Star article aren't all that bothered. A few quotes are below:

"We’ve been playing better for weeks and losing so we we’ll take playing badly and winning, at this moment in time" (Lambert)

"That’s their choice (to boo) but for us, it wasn’t about pretty football, it was a must-win for us and we were just happy we got that. That was all that matters." (Weimann)

“If the fans want to boo, they’re allowed to boo but I’m not that bothered that we didn’t play that well because we got the three points." (Weimann)

“So to be honest, I didn’t care that we played badly and won. I’ll take that for the next 11 games we’ve got left if that means we’re going to win games." (Weimann)

Whilst I understand their comments to a degree (i.e., we need wins to stay up), surely they're missing the big picture here. If we continue to perform as hopelessly as we did on Saturday, we won't be picking up any points any time soon! In addition, doesn't this just go hand-in-hand with the acceptance of mediocrity that has plagued this football club since our departure from the Premier League?

Express and Star Link: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...ul-lambert-wolves-jeers-are-part-of-the-game/

Football League Points Records Link: http://www.fl125.co.uk/records/league-points

Thoughts?

loopy lupine

Reaction score
If we continue to perform as hopelessly as we did on Saturday, we won't be picking up any points any time soon!

What if we continue to play as well as we did against Reading and (second half) Ipswich? Will we pick up more points then?

Saturday was all about the points. Yes we were woeful, yes we were lucky to some extent, but we were excellent and unlucky at Reading and came away with nothing.

Wiemann has it spot on in my opinion... if we win "ugly" then who cares at this point int he season.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weimann and Lambert seem to be forgetting we were **** against Wigan, Burton and Blouse. Sick and tired of all this we have been playing well bull****. Can anyone on here honestly say we have been playing really well and really good football? The impression I get is we look ****e. I watched the Blues game and we were utter cack in the first half and were helped by playing ten men in the second. Even then we looked poor. They are deluded.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
There's winning ugly and there's not taking the opportunity. Rotherham were dreadful, had very very nervous and shaky centre halves we didnt even try to unsettle them, didnt require anything gung ho just simple basic pressure. Going in 1-0 at half time this was very clear. It's simply not good enough.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if we continue to play as well as we did against Reading and (second half) Ipswich? Will we pick up more points then?

Saturday was all about the points. Yes we were woeful, yes we were lucky to some extent, but we were excellent and unlucky at Reading and came away with nothing.

Wiemann has it spot on in my opinion... if we win "ugly" then who cares at this point int he season.

Were we excellent at Reading? From what I was told we were good for 25 minutes but excellent maybe not? I appreciate I wasn't there but this is what I have been told.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but logic would say that if you play well you are more likely to win than if you play poorly. Against Rotherham we could not legislate for what they would do and we all know they should have come away with a draw.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
further more, if that the mindset of manager and players that it doesn't matter if we play badly then we know why we're down the bottom.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Were we excellent at Reading? From what I was told we were good for 25 minutes but excellent maybe not? I appreciate I wasn't there but this is what I have been told.

We were, I was there. Very unlucky to lose against a team destined for top 6 - and if you look back on the verdict thread, I said we would play worse than that and win... Saturday was just that.

Agree with what Bod said though, we should've put them to the sword in the second half, but you could see how nervous the players were just in Costa's penalty. We have no confidence, that's something that could be levelled at Lambert, but I've never known an atmosphere like there was on Saturday, it was like the crowd was just waiting for the mistake just to say "told you so".

P

PackerWolf

Cannot really comment on the Reading performance, but from what I heard (via radio) of our performance vs Ipswich, we were relatively toothless until the final 10 mins or so. In addition, we have performed poorly in the following games: vs Norwich (Away) for 45 mins vs Barnsley (Away), vs Burton (Away), vs Wigan (Home), vs Birmingham - until they went down to ten (Home), and most recently, vs Rotherham (Home).

These were picked from the last ten games: of those left out, Villa (Home) were decent against, Newcastle (Home) and Ipswich (Away) we were toothless in attack, and Reading (Away) we were good for approx. 45 mins. It is worrying that we appear to have an inability to put teams away when we do perform decently. But, the Rotherham game was a new low for this season and, more specifically, under Lambert. Outside of the three points, I cannot pick out a single positive from that game.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
We were, I was there. Very unlucky to lose against a team destined for top 6 - and if you look back on the verdict thread, I said we would play worse than that and win... Saturday was just that.

Agree with what Bod said though, we should've put them to the sword in the second half, but you could see how nervous the players were just in Costa's penalty. We have no confidence, that's something that could be levelled at Lambert, but I've never known an atmosphere like there was on Saturday, it was like the crowd was just waiting for the mistake just to say "told you so".

i totally agree about the nerves, however when we say go back to basics that shouldnt just mean get every player to sit back in the penalty area playing last ditch defending. Just simplfy what we do, play something like a 442, simple pass and move at a decent tempo. I noticed we were trying what was described to me as a typically german system on saturday with saiss dropping into the middle of the centre halves. Why? that's not simplfying things.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
I'm not defending our performances and our points tally this season. With our "talent" we should be top six at least. I am as frustrated as anyone at our perfomance, and agree, there's very little to celebrate other than the three points on saturday (other than Marshall seems to be getting better and better).
All I am agreeing with is the sentiment that I don't care how they play for the next 11 games as long as we pick up the requisite points to stay up. Then we take a look at the season, learn lessons and go again! That's what being a football fan is all about.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
i totally agree about the nerves, however when we say go back to basics that shouldnt just mean get every player to sit back in the penalty area playing last ditch defending. Just simplfy what we do, play something like a 442, simple pass and move at a decent tempo. I noticed we were trying what was described to me as a typically german system on saturday with saiss dropping into the middle of the centre halves. Why? that's not simplfying things.
To be fair though, the players couldn't win on Saturday. Play the ball at the back, keeping possession waiting trying to draw Rotherham out from their 11 behind the ball, the crowd gets on their back. Play the ball long either over the top or across the pitch and lose it, the crown get's on their back. We needed better CM's than Edwards and Price to unlock the defence, but in doing that we then risked losing the ball whilst committing players high up the pitch which (as we saw) nearly cost us the points.

Personally, I think we have massively missed an out and out right winger on the other wing. Cav's injury has co-incided with Costa's poor run of form as teams now double up on him because we carry no threat on the other side of the pitch. Once Cav is fully fit and playing, we will see a difference (I think).

E

Edgmond Wolf

Our performance on Saturday was dire.

We played against a team devoid of confidence, devoid of hope, devoid of any resemblance of winning anymore points and they were gifted three open one on ones against Ikeme in the first thirty minutes.

We were ****

We made Rotherham look like Barcelona

Yes it was very muted support from the South bank but we did support. Yes at the end it was muted again but a great percentage stayed to applaud the players...thats exactly what was happening when Lambert decided to try and join in....with dire consequences as the South bank turned on him and booed him straight away

Time he was gone

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, we witnessed our Wolves limp over the line against one of the poorest teams the Championship has ever seen (For reference, lowest points ever in the Championship/Division One was Stoke - 17, in 1984/85 followed by WBA and Derby with 24 in 1985/86 and 1990/91 respectively) on Saturday just gone (11 March 2017). Despite the performance it appears as though Lambert and Weimann in a recent Express and Star article aren't all that bothered. A few quotes are below:

"We’ve been playing better for weeks and losing so we we’ll take playing badly and winning, at this moment in time" (Lambert)

"That’s their choice (to boo) but for us, it wasn’t about pretty football, it was a must-win for us and we were just happy we got that. That was all that matters." (Weimann)

“If the fans want to boo, they’re allowed to boo but I’m not that bothered that we didn’t play that well because we got the three points." (Weimann)

“So to be honest, I didn’t care that we played badly and won. I’ll take that for the next 11 games we’ve got left if that means we’re going to win games." (Weimann)

Whilst I understand their comments to a degree (i.e., we need wins to stay up), surely they're missing the big picture here. If we continue to perform as hopelessly as we did on Saturday, we won't be picking up any points any time soon! In addition, doesn't this just go hand-in-hand with the acceptance of mediocrity that has plagued this football club since our departure from the Premier League?

Express and Star Link: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...ul-lambert-wolves-jeers-are-part-of-the-game/

Football League Points Records Link: http://www.fl125.co.uk/records/league-points

Thoughts?

Just a quick point on the points thing.

These low points records were set when Division One was the Premier League, they were relegated from what would become the Premier with those totals.

The worst club at this level was Stockport with 26 points.

I get what you're driving at though - taking short corners for time against a side of that quality and that team carving out the chances they did against us should be so concerning. I can only hope Lambert doesn't want to dig them out in the press but if they genuinely think that the performance was acceptable because we won then they need to have a bit of a word.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it was 0 wins in 6 games before Saturday or something so yes it was all about the win, ugly but when confidence is low it never is pretty and really i don't care we needed to win and we did

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
To be fair though, the players couldn't win on Saturday. Play the ball at the back, keeping possession waiting trying to draw Rotherham out from their 11 behind the ball, the crowd gets on their back. Play the ball long either over the top or across the pitch and lose it, the crown get's on their back. We needed better CM's than Edwards and Price to unlock the defence, but in doing that we then risked losing the ball whilst committing players high up the pitch which (as we saw) nearly cost us the points.

Personally, I think we have massively missed an out and out right winger on the other wing. Cav's injury has co-incided with Costa's poor run of form as teams now double up on him because we carry no threat on the other side of the pitch. Once Cav is fully fit and playing, we will see a difference (I think).

I agree, thing is there was no movement, Price and saville got moaned at for playing sideways or back with absolutely no movement in front of them. Over the top and Wiemann was so isolated due to the attacking 3 behind him never supporting as they were sitting in too deep a starting position. The system we are stubornly sticking too doesnt have the players (or players in form) to work. This is why I keep saying we should simplify and rebuild confidence. Simple on the floor, up tempo pass and move.

E

Edgmond Wolf

I agree, thing is there was no movement, Price and saville got moaned at for playing sideways or back with absolutely no movement in front of them. Over the top and Wiemann was so isolated due to the attacking 3 behind him never supporting as they were sitting in too deep a starting position. The system we are stubornly sticking too doesnt have the players (or players in form) to work. This is why I keep saying we should simplify and rebuild confidence. Simple on the floor, up tempo pass and move.
We played head tennis for about the first twenty minutes.....christ it was dire

D

Deleted member 4099

That's what I'm hoping for and the return of Mason as well.

F

FLEET WOLF

Our performance on Saturday was dire.

We played against a team devoid of confidence, devoid of hope, devoid of any resemblance of winning anymore points and they were gifted three open one on ones against Ikeme in the first thirty minutes.

We were ****

We made Rotherham look like Barcelona

Yes it was very muted support from the South bank but we did support. Yes at the end it was muted again but a great percentage stayed to applaud the players...thats exactly what was happening when Lambert decided to try and join in....with dire consequences as the South bank turned on him and booed him straight away

Time he was gone
Lambert getting booed like that must be the beginning of the end for him, surely? He will either be gone in the next few days, or at the end of the season (whether we stay up or not).

E

Edgmond Wolf

Lambert getting booed like that must be the beginning of the end for him, surely? He will either be gone in the next few days, or at the end of the season (whether we stay up or not).
Surprised if he is there when we go to Fulham....fingers crossed ;)

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the manager cannot see that our centre midfield has no pace and drive or skill is beyond me. If we survive then we're gonna have to change tack hugely

Back
Top Bottom