Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Watford Verdict

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
They were simply better, but the ref giving them everything didn’t help. I suppose after the international break and so many of our players returning late, it was always going to be difficult. I’m upset that a back four containing Craig Cathcart and Adrian Mariappa kept a clean sheet against us, but if we can’t hit the target it’s bound to happen.

I thought Vinagre’s cameo was really promising.

And Adama is not a RWB.

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
I think today shows the need for a plan B.

Outmuscled and outnumbered in midfield today.

Neves and moutinho were bossed by capoue doucoure and Hughes.

This is where I think (potentially) a third centre back could be sacrificed for another midfielder to allow more of our play to take place in the midfield.

Cut out neves and moutinho as Watford did today and you stop us.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well beaten.

They where physical and up for it. We looked too causal.

Thought we'd lose before the game started.

Ref wasn't on our side today, but that shouldn't hide that if you turn up not 100% at this level you'll lose.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watford are a cracking side as expected, we were poor but these things happen. Nuno to give them to hairdryer for Brighton next week.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Grrrr. Of all the games for us to play like that.

Fairly even and uneventful first 20 minutes before that crazy 60 seconds (two excellent finishes to be fair). After that, Watford were superb for the rest of the first half and we couldn’t have complained if we had gone in even further behind. Gave it a go second half but never really looked like scoring.

Fair play to Watford who got their tactics absolutely spot on. Narrow midfield completely overwhelmed Neves and Moutinho, with Capoue, Doucoure and Hughes outstanding.

For us, I thought Vinagre and Cav were bright sparks but Jota’s form continues to be a concern. Don’t think Cav can be kept out for much longer.

Patricio 5
Bennett 5
Coady 5
Boly 6
Doherty 5
Moutinho 5
Neves 5
Jonny 5
Costa 5
Raul 5
Jota 5

Vinagre 6
Cav 6
Traore 5

Bad day at the office and perhaps a bit of a reality check for some of us.

Can’t wait to see my Watford supporting friends and family over the rest of the weekend

W

we8wba

Watford did to us what we usually do to others

Swift team, nice passing, time on ball - all round great display

Us:

Defence ropey all game, how we allowed them to waltz through us for a second is ridiclous but then Coady and bennett are england class!

Midfield pair too deep and worst game for both for long time

Jota I hope people finally agree is totally out of form, had two massive chances and wanted extra time

Full backs didn’t get forward first half at all

Vinegre motm by mile for me

Costa was only starter who looked a threat

Jiminez was poor

One point second half we had four players on right wing and one player in box (sorry but jota/costa are never going to win header and score in the area)

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best team won. But nine of our starting eleven were sub par and lacked energy. Only Coady and Bennett in my eyes played to their normal standard.

I suppose the international break took its toll, but really, I think Nuno should have been aware of that and changed a few players.

Not an excuse but the ref was a joke.

No overreacting we’ll be better next week.

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
We're not gonna win every game. Think having the international break upset the momentum. But don't want to be over critical. We've had a real good run. Hopefully we'll start another one next week. Im sure Nuno will get em up and ready to give Brighton a good game

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fairly even and uneventful first 20 minutes before that crazy 60 seconds (two excellent finishes to be fair). After that, Watford were superb for the rest of the first half and we couldn’t have complained if we had gone in even further behind. Gave it a go second half but never really looked like scoring.

Fair play to Watford who got their tactics absolutely spot on. Narrow midfield completely overwhelmed Neves and Moutinho, with Capoue, Doucoure and Hughes outstanding.

For us, I thought Vinagre and Cav were bright sparks but Jota’s form continues to be a concern. Don’t think Cav can be kept out for much longer.

Patricio 5
Bennett 5
Coady 5
Boly 6
Doherty 5
Moutinho 5
Neves 5
Jonny 5
Costa 5
Raul 5
Jota 5

Vinagre 6
Cav 6
Traore 5

Can’t wait to see my Watford supporting friends and family over the rest of the weekend

Think that’s fair overall Tring. Not sure I’d have given Adama a 5, as I thought him pretty poor today, but there again he was no worse than some others. Would give Costa a 6, despite his poor finishing, as he contributed as much as any going forward, in terms of link up play and creating opportunities. Neves was slightly ahead of Moutinho, who I thought had a pretty poor day, so perhaps just about scraped a 6, as he prevented a third goal late on.

Let’s hope we do this season, what we did last, and learn from it, and bounce straight back.

D

Deleted member 5276

Fully agree that Watford were the best team, most certainly for the first 45 mins where they effectively won the game.

For me, our players haven't really looked sharp since the MUFC away game. It's to be expected given the start we have had but now they'll know they have to be at it every single game. I thought we were a touch fortunate against Southampton but Watford made sure we were punished through sloppiness today.

Upfront today we had nothing. That is my biggest concern about this team. We won't concede many goals, which always gives us a chance, but equally we won't score many.

Thought Coady was very good today and Vinagre livened us up at the start of the second half. I do think Traore is being wasted and I'd love to see him go upfront and lead the line in the last 30 mins. Something of an off day but no question the better team won.

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
They weren’t dirty but certainly more physical in the midfield.

Capoue and doucoure having the ability to sit and pass but then also advance past a player and give a forward option after their pass, very often leading to us being opened up.

Does make me wonder whether an extra midfielder in there would help us at times.

Guess we’ll never know as I can’t see Nuno mixing it up.

By no means bashing either as a lacklustre performance can happen. However it is an observation I’ve had since forest at home last year.

If we play the same every game, someone will find the formula to stop it.

I didn’t think Watford were overly physical at all. Strong and athletic yes, but nothing for us to moan about.

They played some lovely football in the last 25 minutes of the first half.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't there but if Moutinho and Neves were being swamped in central midfield I wonder why Saiss was not brought on to bolster central midfield and even up the numbers while providing a bit of muscle. Other clubs will take note of Watford's tactics and I reckon Saiss may get more of a look in in future and perhaps Dendoncker too. We still lack an out and out striker/goalscorer and until we sign one our goals for tally will remain minimal imv.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We’ll bounce back, we always do under Nuno

W

WilliamWilson

They just looked knackered today, Watford took advantage of the lack of fight and took their chances. Shows we need better strength in depth - apart from Traore and Cavaleiro we don't have substitutes that can match the quality of the starting 11.

D

Deleted member 5276

Wasn't there but if Moutinho and Neves were being swamped in central midfield I wonder why Saiss was not brought on to bolster central midfield and even up the numbers while providing a bit of muscle. Other clubs will take note of Watford's tactics and I reckon Saiss may get more of a look in in future and perhaps Dendoncker too. We still lack an out and out striker/goalscorer and until we sign one our goals for tally will remain minimal imv.
I was thinking the same re: midfield. It was clear that Watford's usually wide men came narrower and effectively, Neves and Mountinho found themselves outnumbered. Second half Nuno moved our defence up higher and that compressed the space so we used the flanks more. It's a learning curve for Nuno as well I guess. We gave it something of a go but we just don't have that cutting edge.

D

Deleted member 4184

Patricio 6
Bennett 4
Coady 5
Boly 4
Doherty 4
Moutinho 3
Neves 3
Jonny 3
Costa 3
Raul 3
Jota 3

Vinagre 5
Cav 4
Traore 5

Ref: 1

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Patricio 5
Bennett 5
Coady 5
Boly 6
Doherty 5
Moutinho 5
Neves 5
Jonny 5
Costa 5
Raul 5
Jota 5

Vinagre 6
Cav 6
Traore 5

Think that’s being generous to Boly myself otherwise agree completely. I’d have liked LD available to slot in to be honest off the bench.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Watford,fair play to them. They played us off the park first half, especially the last 30 mins. Hope we learn and go again. Second half we were better but never looked like scoring.

Nuno will sort it out next week.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the first half we were absolutely dreadful. We looked half *****, slow - completely off the pace. To be fair to Watford they were very good. They completely bossed midfield and their movement and pace up front caused us all sorts of problems, but I don’t think we helped ourselves by our sheer lethargy.

It is time for a mini shake up. Nothing drastic. I think Jota needs a spell out of the side. We lack goals and he’s not providing any. So I think it’s time for Cav to come in. Also thought Vinagre did well and would like to see him given more opportunities, whether that’s at wing back or on the wing itself.

Lastly, I’m going to preface this by saying; we did not lose this game because of the referee and were well beaten by the better side today.

But.

That referee is an absolute disgrace to his profession. I have never seen a game called with such bias. I hope his performance is looked into by the PL and he’s demoted to the Football League, because that level of performance at this level of football is unacceptable.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score

Patricio 5
Bennett 5
Coady 5
Boly 6
Doherty 5
Moutinho 5
Neves 5
Jonny 5
Costa 5
Raul 5
Jota 5

Vinagre 6
Cav 6
Traore 5

I generally agree with that. But I thought tactically we got it all wrong, I don't think Jonny was playing particularly badly and vinagre wasn't going to really change the game. The midfield was awful/out numbered way too deep and needed some help. Not really sure where traore was meant to be playing. Our front three positioning needs looking at they're too far apart.

Patricio 6
Bennett 6
Coady 6
Boly 5
Doherty 6
Moutinho 4
Neves 4
Jonny 6
Costa 5
Raul 5
Jota 4

Vinagre 6
Cav 6.5
Traore 5

Too many poor performances at the same time and not the greatest tactical changes.
Not the time for panicking though. It's one game. But as mentioned I think we need to look at how the front 3 work.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well beaten, only real highlight was a good cameo by Vinagre.

Costa was particularly poor, yes I'd rate him as worse than Jota. Jota provided a good chance for Jimmy which ended up closer to the corner flag, and a very nice ball 1st half to Costa who couldn't even beat the first man. In the 2nd half there was that flick over to Cav which was passed to Costa to blast over again.

To concede straight from our own kickoff, 58 seconds between goals, is embarrassing.

No one really came out today with any credit aside from Vinagre.

D

Deleted member 5276

Oh well... it happens. At least we didn't lose to Wigan or Birmingham City today. ;)

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

Keep calm and carry on. I believe this kick up the **** could well prove beneficial to players and even Nuno. No Wolves fans should start criticising our team, player or Nuno, this was going to happen sooner or later, I have faith, love and trust in club and players, I think investment in one, possibly two players come January would improve the team, but we are where we are, a damn good club and team who will only get better and better no matter what, sad with performance and result but one game. Re-set, carry on and go again against Brighton.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
That was seriously disappointing....well beaten by a good team who got their tactics and play to work superbly against us. They looked a cut above all over the pitch.

We didn't trouble their keeper at all and their midfield had control. We had nothing that even indicated we could get in on goal never mind an effort on target.

Don't think it was a bad day at the office, we were genuinely rumbled today.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very very poor.
Outplayed and outclassed.
Even if we’d made chances I doubt we’d put them away.
As others have said it’s time Jota had a rest....

D

Deleted member 3751

These types of games were always going to happen this year. We weren't at it at all, almost as if we showed up and thought it would be easy. The first half was as bad as anything I've witnessed under Nuno, at least we injected a bit of urgency after the break but it could be a timely kick up the ****. Showing the players they have to be at it every game, even to beat teams who you would look at as a good opportunity to get the three points.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a change or two for next week, we have to be better than today.

MOM: Vinagre

Ref: Probably texting Elton now to see if he can go over for some Jacuzzi japery

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely overrun in midfield and was crying our for a change even before the goals and id have had Saiss straight on to attempt to gain some control which we didn't do and never looked like doing for the rest of the game which was a blizzare decision for me.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought Pereyra and Capoue were brilliant. We had chances too in the second half. They had a 1 one minute blitz in the 1st half. We'll get better as the season goes on, most of our players are really young and playing their first time at this level. In Nuno We Trust.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First time we’ve been poor, get over it, Coady was easily mom for us, covered both Bennett and Boly mistakes. But this is the hardest league in the world, you’re not at your best you’ll get beat, don’t panic it was our bad day

Back
Top Bottom