Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa verdict

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate to keep banging the same drum here, but Fabio silva made his full debut against Villa three or 4 years ago, hit the post and got into three or four goalscoring positions where he should have scored.
These kids that we are playing aren't really getting in the positions to get chances. They might turn into good players eventually but at the moment they look way off it. It annoys me that people can't see past the fee with Fabio. He should be here now and playing games for us as he's better than what we have currently available and the experience he will get from playing these games us better than what he is currently getting at rangers.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I thought that Wolves played well. There was a touch of fortune about both Aston Villa goals, but that kind of thing happens. We should have been 2 - 0 up early on, but the chances weren’t taken.

This team will only get better once it is strengthened in the summer and once injured players return.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes indeed last 2 games full backs / wing backs only scored or had chances at goal RAN and Hugo Bueno against Coventry

Similarly at Villa the nearest we got to scoring RAN & Doc tells us of our none existent fire power up front. Did the kids get a shot on goal?
Fraser had one towards the end.

Chiwome couldn't free himself of his marker and when he did his runs were too far away from the goal or his angle too wide to make finding him worthwhile.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hate to keep banging the same drum here, but Fabio silva made his full debut against Villa three or 4 years ago, hit the post and got into three or four goalscoring positions where he should have scored.
These kids that we are playing aren't really getting in the positions to get chances. They might turn into good players eventually but at the moment they look way off it. It annoys me that people can't see past the fee with Fabio. He should be here now and playing games for us as he's better than what we have currently available and the experience he will get from playing these games us better than what he is currently getting at rangers.
Silva was appalling for Rangers yesterday apparently (from a Rangers season ticket holder).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hot! Was 26 yesterday. Very cheap here to be fair. Would recommend

Shame we couldn’t get much from the game but it is what it is. Season is over for us.
Where are you? I went to Sunny Beach in the early/mid 90s. The banding of prices always amused me... From the beach about 1ish km in catered for Western tourists. By our standards cheap but dear by local standards. 1-1.5ish km catered for Russian and rich locals and was cheaper. Beyond that prices plummeted lol....

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva was appalling for Rangers yesterday apparently (from a Rangers season ticket holder).

I watched the first half and he was tbf. I think the point was if we'd maybe been a bit more understanding of what he was up against at the time things might have turned out better. We can see that Fraser and Chiwome are miles off, and Silva was streets ahead of them in his first season (4 goals, 3 assists IIRC). But he was just written off by a lot of people even at that age.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We must address the size and balance of the squad in the summer.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where are you? I went to Sunny Beach in the early/mid 90s. The banding of prices always amused me... From the beach about 1ish km in catered for Western tourists. By our standards cheap but dear by local standards. 1-1.5ish km catered for Russian and rich locals and was cheaper. Beyond that prices plummeted lol....
Varna not far from there lovely food and people

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Varna not far from there lovely food and people
Enjoy, sir, l went there for a day trip on a very 'interesting' Soviet origin bus which felt like a mobile badly maintained shed.

At some point l intend to go back to Nesebar.

I really couldn't get used to cucumber at breakfast though lol....

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I think we will struggle, but there was no indication yesterday that any player had their beach towel out.
That kind of remark after genuine effort yesterday - and some good periods of play - does the team a disservice.
Bang on

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The season is far from over
9 games to play and still a chance of Europe
With no strikers?
Enjoy, sir, l went there for a day trip on a very 'interesting' Soviet origin bus which felt like a mobile badly maintained shed.

At some point l intend to go back to Nesebar.

I really couldn't get used to cucumber at breakfast though lol....
Thank you. Yeah they eat a lot of salads here. More pastry for breakfast. Cereal is not popular. Yoghurt here is so good and ayran like yoghurt with water and salt. The country is worth seeing before they join the euro currency next January while things are much cheaper in Lev. Another election now on the cards 6th or 7th in 2/3 years. Shame for such an underrated country.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With no strikers?

Thank you. Yeah they eat a lot of salads here. More pastry for breakfast. Cereal is not popular. Yoghurt here is so good and ayran like yoghurt with water and salt. The country is worth seeing before they join the euro currency next January while things are much cheaper in Lev. Another election now on the cards 6th or 7th in 2/3 years. Shame for such an underrated country.
Decent cheeses too... Did feel a tad like death by pork at times though....

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That wouldn't help though. We need players who actually score (as the ones we have are injured).

How does the fee affect things? People arent' saying that he can't help us because of the fee. I say there's not much point him being here rght now, simply because he isn't good enough. Yes, he may be somewhat better now than the youngsters we are currently forced to play. He needs to develop and he's in a better place where he can play every week, rather than here where he would be again, 5th or 6th choice. That's not the best use of £35, sorry to mention the fee, but unfortunately the fee does matter to the owners who paid it and to the FFP people. If anything, the fee is what makes some imagine he's better than he really is.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can see that Fraser and Chiwome are miles off, and Silva was streets ahead of them in his first season (4 goals, 3 assists IIRC). But he was just written off by a lot of people even at that age.

That's not what I saw. They don't look much different to him at comparable age. Even they could score a penalty and a couple of tap ins vs one of the worst teams to ever play in this league! Chiwome certainly has more pace than Fabio. Mostly , they all just look rather lost and out of their depth playing at this level at such young age.

Saying "he isn't good enough right now" is not the same as writing off. The club doesn't have the luxury of keep playing a player who is miles off being good enough, year after year, until he is good enough. Bring him back when he is good enough. Currently, even in the Scottish League , he seems to be having a good match, followed by a succession of poor matches. That just isn't going to cut it in the Premier League.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had some weird problems accessing the site over the last few days so I'm late to the verdict party.

I suspect I have nothing new to add when I say that we played really well in spells, some very nice football, actually... but we sorely lacked a cutting edge of any description which is hardly surprising. Even if we got into positions, there was just nothing to aim for, no focus. What's worse is that Villa are not at their best at the moment and looked very, very ordinary so, despite our dearth of attacking players it feels oddly like a missed opportunity which sounds a bit contradictory, I suppose. Very frustrating.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can't beat this Burnley team we will.never beat any Burnley team. Having said that l fear that you may well be right. I just hope that there isn't pressure to bring back Cunha before he is fully ready....

Trouble is that despite where they are in the league Burnley actually have an attack and we don't. We are also not doing well defensively.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played very well for 20 minutes, we were surprisingly the far superior team and missed a great chance.

After that, Villa slowly got a hold of the game and won in third gear.

We have to keep repeating the same points because it's central to the whole discussion. What we're watching is insane, it's mismanagement of epic proportions but it doesn't get the attention it deserves because it's Wolves and we're actually having a good season.

A Premier League club to be playing a striker who would be League One at best is crazy. We're then replacing him with a striker who is considered Shrewsbury level. All because of three/four injuries!!

It's shambolic and just because people may be bored or uncomfortable about hearing it doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.

As I keep saying, I only ever want owners that try. What Fosun have done this season is disgusting but O'Neil has saved them proper scrutiny. I cannot wait for them to go.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is wonderful.....but the decision to let all Podence , Guedes, Chiquina, Silva , Kaladezic (about £95 million worth of signings) all go out on loan now looks madness. Maybe we were restricted in making new signings , but the irony is we already had players who would now have made a difference in situations we find ourselves in with virtually no attacking players & having to throw in 'kids' , and maybe if GON had the chance to work with some of them we wouldn't be wondering where the next goal is coming from until players return from injury

Massively frustrating seeing some of those players out on loan who would walk into our attack now whatever you think of them.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chiwome has to start against Burnley and the players have to be told to pass to him more. I lost count of the amount of times he was in decent positions yesterday but players didnt pass to him. Trust him and use him please. He has talent. Also start Traore at Burnley. He is what we need with our limited attacking options as he has got a great engine on him. Hugo Bueno needs to start as well for me and play RAN further forward. I thought Chirewa had some good touches when he came on. Would almost like to see an attacking four at Burnley of Chirewa, Sarabia, Ran to get better support to Chiwome as the no9. Appreciate that would mean 4 at the back but we are conceding quite a few goals with five anyway.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GoN set us up wrong.

As others have said Lemina is not a left winger. The obvious decision was to put RAN at LW/ RW and Bueno at LWB.

I don't understand the Doyle love, he was tidy in possession but then Villa let him have the ball as they knew he wasn't really going to hurt them. Doyle was nothing sorry of anonymous without the ball. Gomes was literally doing the job of two men as Doyle was so poor defensively. Doyle is as luxury as luxury players get without having the end product to go with it.

This gets solved with Lemina in the middle or dropping Kilman and going 4 at the back and 3 in midfield with Lemina, Gomes and luxury Doyle (not as a DM).

Kilman is so out of form right now it's embarrassing and it seems there is no way he's coming back to any form. He should be dropped for Burnley.

João Gomes continues to be world class and Semedo had a good game. Sarabia's attitude towards younger players bothers me.
Agree with a lot of this but I'd play Traore instead of Doyle at Burnley

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been said a plenty. We do not have anywhere near the depth of squad needed and once again, injuries to the key front three and Dawson mean we are not as solid and lack a real scoring threat. If we get 10 more points we will do well . Shame .

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With no strikers?

Stop being a doom and gloom merchant
9 games to go we will give it our best shot

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had some weird problems accessing the site over the last few days so I'm late to the verdict party.

I suspect I have nothing new to add when I say that we played really well in spells, some very nice football, actually... but we sorely lacked a cutting edge of any description which is hardly surprising. Even if we got into positions, there was just nothing to aim for, no focus. What's worse is that Villa are not at their best at the moment and looked very, very ordinary so, despite our dearth of attacking players it feels oddly like a missed opportunity which sounds a bit contradictory, I suppose. Very frustrating.
You're not alone re site access issues. Clearing cookies and cache seems to do the trick.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Could the ‘senior players aren’t passing to young players’ observation be a result of the young players not being as well drilled in terms of the patterns of play that O’Neill focuses on? He said at the start of the season that under Lopetegui players had been ‘doing their own thing’ and he wanted them to be more disciplined. Young players are more likely to be spontaneous due to lack of familiarity with patterns of play.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No lack of effort and commitment, and some very good play too at times; shame to see it coming to nothing, not just in this game but others too. This will, you'd imagine, be our story for the remaining games. I'm certainly not looking forwards to the Burnley game, which I think we'll lose and which will lead to "discontent" on here etc etc.

However, we're chalk & cheese compared to when I saw us at Luton, and have over-achieved already this season in my book. A matter now of keeping the effort & commitment burning, from the players to the management to the owners, as part of setting us up with a better platform for next season.

Last edited:

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massively frustrating seeing some of those players out on loan who would walk into our attack now whatever you think of them.

Problem is that’s a lot of money to spend on wages for players who wouldn’t be playing and no doubt moping about bringing down the atmosphere for the others.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were at least on a par with them. RAN finishes that chance it’s a different game. Unlucky for both the goals. Good finish for the first but the deflection from Doyle could have gone anywhere and the second was a pure fluke.

Considering our entire forward line is out I thought we did ok

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
What has made me laugh about us losing yesterday is the reaction to it. We were all fearing the worst before the start of the season. Bare first team, new manager 4 days before. GON knew when he took over and has said aim was to survive relegation. We have done that. Comfortably. The season may well fizzle out and I think we will finish 13th. I would rather finish 13th then risk us getting sanctioned for psr. Injuries have cost us and in hindsight, which is wonderful we could of done with a few extra in. But, we have exceeded the target already. What ever happens from now is a bonus. No point over reacting to a loss to 4th when we have no fit attackers. Limp to 13th regroup, get some more bodies in this summer. Sell Kilman as he is awful and all is right in the world.

Back
Top Bottom