Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa verdict

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Silva was appalling for Rangers yesterday apparently (from a Rangers season ticket holder).
I think the post saying 4 years ago that Fabio hit the post and got into 3 or 4 good scoring positions sums it up for me. Yes he was very young at the time but he didn’t and still doesn’t score anywhere near enough. Hwang can have a game where he’s largely anonymous but has that priceless knack of suddenly finding an opening and making the chance count. Pre injury, Cunha started scoring in addition to having the ability to pull defenders all over the place. I’ve never really seen Fabio do either of this anywhere near enough. Assuming Sheff Utd get relegated, Brereton-Diaz could be worth a look.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the post saying 4 years ago that Fabio hit the post and got into 3 or 4 good scoring positions sums it up for me. Yes he was very young at the time but he didn’t and still doesn’t score anywhere near enough. Hwang can have a game where he’s largely anonymous but has that priceless knack of suddenly finding an opening and making the chance count. Pre injury, Cunha started scoring in addition to having the ability to pull defenders all over the place. I’ve never really seen Fabio do either of this anywhere near enough. Assuming Sheff Utd get relegated, Brereton-Diaz could be worth a look.

It's a myth that Fabio's never been given the oppportunity. He's played more minutes than Sasa *this season* - Sasa scored 2, Fabio 0. Fabio's made as many starts as Traore, this season. Thing is, that Villa performance was his one 7 out of 10 for us, in a sea of 4's 5;s and 6's (and not many of those 6's). It's straw clutching, forgetting all his missed headers, invisible man appearances, outpaced by 35 year olds, looking totally out of his depth most matches and so on.

The story of Fabio is of being tried repeatedly in the Premier League and invariably looking out of his depth. So it's the right thing to send him out on loan to lower leagues to aid his development - which is exactly what we are doing. It's straw clutching to think he could add much to us right now.

Wage bill has to be factored in, too. We can't just keep buying players in case 5 or 6 or more get injured. That's what Chelsea do, we don't have their money and it's failing for them anyway.

On the Villa match, I think there's an overreaction. The gap between us and a side that will finish 5th at worst, and could make Champions League, just didn't look that huge at all. Squad depth is the difference. Maybe with a year or two more development, Fabio could help to add that. Other than that, based on the Villa match (and factoring in keeping 2 of Cunha/Neto/Hwang) , I think we look maybe 2 "genuine premier league level" players short of a real top 8 push.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Went pretty much as expected. Decent effort but our squad can't withstand the number of absentees we currently have. The quality of our starting XI fell off a cliff, whereas they replaced their absentees with actual Premier league players. Despite that it was probably a 50/50 game overall but their extra quality (and luck) in the final third was the difference.

It's quite funny that a lot of their fans seem to think we consider them our 'cup final' thinking we raise our game against them, like they're Man City or Liverpool. They really do have a falsely high opinion of themselves. They're a half decent team having a freakishly good season. I expect them to be back amongst the chasing pack with us next season.
Oh and Aston is hands down the biggest **** hole place for a football ground. Makes Wolverhampton look like Vegas.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a myth that Fabio's never been given the oppportunity. He's played more minutes than Sasa *this season* - Sasa scored 2, Fabio 0. Fabio's made as many starts as Traore, this season. Thing is, that Villa performance was his one 7 out of 10 for us, in a sea of 4's 5;s and 6's (and not many of those 6's). It's straw clutching, forgetting all his missed headers, invisible man appearances, outpaced by 35 year olds, looking totally out of his depth most matches and so on.

The story of Fabio is of being tried repeatedly in the Premier League and invariably looking out of his depth. So it's the right thing to send him out on loan to lower leagues to aid his development - which is exactly what we are doing. It's straw clutching to think he could add much to us right now.

Wage bill has to be factored in, too. We can't just keep buying players in case 5 or 6 or more get injured. That's what Chelsea do, we don't have their money and it's failing for them anyway.

On the Villa match, I think there's an overreaction. The gap between us and a side that will finish 5th at worst, and could make Champions League, just didn't look that huge at all. Squad depth is the difference. Maybe with a year or two more development, Fabio could help to add that. Other than that, based on the Villa match (and factoring in keeping 2 of Cunha/Neto/Hwang) , I think we look maybe 2 "genuine premier league level" players short of a real top 8 push.
Chelsea are an extreme case . The problem is we don't have one central striker . Also our other strikers are fragile , Neto , Hwang are hamstring prone, Sasa was injury prone, and Silva , Fraser are immature for this level. The step down from the first 15 to the rest is massive. Our bench yesterday looked extremely poor.
Playing Sarabia so much at 31 could easily prove our next problem

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All on Jeff. Fosun have put the money in and it has been poorly managed. To have players like Guedes, podence, silva out on loan is poor management.
The Silva one is the worst really.

I’ve consistently backed Fabio on here to come good but something’s evidently gone wrong. For the club to outlay what they have for him to then not nurture/develop to a point where he is this deep into his career with us and deemed not a good enough option off the bench is beyond poor.

This isn’t a dig at Fabio, it’s criticism towards the decision makers for getting that transfer wrong at multiple stages (fee, development etc). With what happened last summer, we have never been in a position to take the gamble that was Fabio Silva.

Under 21’s making up a bench and 11 in a West Midlands derby in the top half of the Premier League… big changes needed at the business end of the club (and I do think they’ve began with Hobbs new approach).

Just noticed I’m on the Verdict thread… all the above aside, I thought the squad we had at our disposal did well.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We played exactly the type of game I thought we would. There in lies the problem, sadly it was just too predictable. From the moment RAN missed that glorious chance, the script was written.

Unfortunately, all the headlines that get written about Wolves after a loss, were all applicable. Toothless, we pretty much were. Huffed and puffed, we did but the house could have been made of paper and remained intact.

I might be missing something (so forgive or enlighten me) but I see so many posts hoping we qualify for Europe and just as many that think Gaz won’t get many new players in the Summer.

That leaves me wondering how on earth (should we qualify), are we going to cope? Our first choice players can’t stay fit without Europe. I don’t wish to be critical but imho our second string aren’t good enough to compete at that level.

I accept that it would be a mixture of regulars and rotating 5 or 6 but surely our league form would suffer enormously unless we get in about 5 or 6 new faces and only lose 1 or 2.

Perhaps I am being selfish but with what we know at this moment, I am praying we don’t qualify tbh.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea are an extreme case . The problem is we don't have one central striker . Also our other strikers are fragile , Neto , Hwang are hamstring prone, Sasa was injury prone, and Silva , Fraser are immature for this level. The step down from the first 15 to the rest is massive. Our bench yesterday looked extremely poor.
Playing Sarabia so much at 31 could easily prove our next problem

I agree. The point is that we have a finite budget and how best to deal with that. Ideally, we would have got striker support in in January. But for whatever reason, we didn't. You'd like to assume that this will be a priority in the next window. And the other thing is that strikers/goal scorers are the most challenging and expensive to buy. All clubs have spent money on a strikers who have flopped. Or do well but get injured.

You're right in that it was once the subs came on that the difference was really noticable. Even losing Watkins didn't affect them that much - I thought Zaniolo really gave them a lift and gave us trouble. Not sure any of our subs could ever trouble anyone at this level.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First goal fell perfectly for them an absolute rocket it had to be said. Should of probably defended better though. Sa had no chance

The second goal is a joke. Real Keystone cops defending.

We should defend much better but they are a top 4 team and we didn’t do too badly otherwise from the highlights

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We must address the size and balance of the squad in the summer.
Said this for a few seasons now but we seem to sell for profit first them worry about what's left .

So for me time for Fosun to go unless they want a clear strategy in place

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First goal fell perfectly for them an absolute rocket it had to be said. Should of probably defended better though. Sa had no chance

The second goal is a joke. Real Keystone cops defending.

We should defend much better but they are a top 4 team and we didn’t do too badly otherwise from the highlights
Agree we didn't do badly just let down yet again by squad depth .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. The point is that we have a finite budget and how best to deal with that. Ideally, we would have got striker support in in January. But for whatever reason, we didn't. You'd like to assume that this will be a priority in the next window. And the other thing is that strikers/goal scorers are the most challenging and expensive to buy. All clubs have spent money on a strikers who have flopped. Or do well but get injured.

You're right in that it was once the subs came on that the difference was really noticable. Even losing Watkins didn't affect them that much - I thought Zaniolo really gave them a lift and gave us trouble. Not sure any of our subs could ever trouble anyone at this level.
I have believed getting a striker was a priority from the day Jimenez got injured . Somehow we have never achieved a satisfactory purchase, although funds have been found for Guedes , Trincao , midfielders and defenders . And I have lost confidence in our ability to buy a goalscorer.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have believed getting a striker was a priority from the day Jimenez got injured . Somehow we have never achieved a satisfactory purchase, although funds have been found for Guedes , Trincao , midfielders and defenders . And I have lost confidence in our ability to buy a goalscorer.
Let’s judge after this summer. We had to run the tight ship method in January. Shi orders to comply with FFP

In the Hobbs we trust

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s judge after this summer. We had to run the tight ship method in January. Shi orders to comply with FFP

In the Hobbs we trust
I really dont hold out much hope. There will be another excuse come September 2024. Jimenez was injured in 2020 as I posted we have splashed cash since then but not on this position for various reasons.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
whenever they show Emery on the touchline I see Steve Coogan:)

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, leopards be leopards with leopard spots, an all that. :tearsofjoy:
Lose - Blame Shi, the club is being mismanaged, Fosun out blah blah blah
Win - Love GON, love these players, Shi gets no credit.

It’s laughable.

At least with my ‘pro-club’ tinted glasses I still acknowledge Shi and Fosun’s mistakes but some of you are so negatively cycloptic, you sound ridiculously demented.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you fit Gomes, Doyle and Lemina in the team? They’ve all got to play at the moment with zero depth. Playing them all centrally q wouldn’t work either.
You don't have to shoe-horn all three into the side. Especially if that means sacrificing the successful midfield partnership that is Lemina and Gomes. At least, in that respect, GON sees things my way with the starting line-up for Burnley...

Back
Top Bottom