Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa Verdict

Newportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I think people are reading too much in to Forest’s win today. They were playing Southampton who are one of the only teams in a worse position than them, they are still a terrible team. I believe it will be Saints / Bournemouth / Forest for the drop. With Everton in the mix as well.

Not saying we will stay up for certain, just that we are better than those 4 teams. If we don’t underperform then on paper we should be alright, but of course anything can happen in football.
Agree……and they only had one shot all game…mind you that’s 100% success rate I suppose.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding subbing Pod and Mouts, I would hope there would have been some comms from the bench to see how full their tanks were. We know players just want to play no matter what, but changing it for the sake of changing it seems a bit adhoc. Over all the performances are going in the right direction. Adama is probably an enigma we could do without, as someone else said, he could stay onside by 5 yards and win any ball so getting caught offside so much is disappointing.
It clear he sees adama as an impact player, doesnt trust him from the start, want him to come on to freshen up and give yards.

i think podence is being managed, i think he alongside b traore who were ones needing to be monitored, hence him coming off

id rest podence against liverpool completely

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Got tired.

Rarely do teams keep it up for 90 minutes but currently we look like we're struggling to even keep going for 60.

We need a right back so we can rest Semedo. Lacking depth currently.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 BIG Points dropped, by being absolute ****heads through being too defensively minded.

It is absolutely not acceptable in any circumstance and I'm glad Lopetagui sounds furious.

Lovely goal by Pod though in a good first half. THAT is the standard we need to consistently have.

Don't these lads know who and what they are playing for?! If not, then we have to start thinking about Stoke City away next season...

P.S: this maybe a bit emotive, but the truth is laid out from blowing another lead and seeing the table, regardless if we are 3 points off 13th.

Lopetegui sounded furious?!

Strange take.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 BIG Points dropped, by being absolute ****heads through being too defensively minded.

It is absolutely not acceptable in any circumstance and I'm glad Lopetagui sounds furious.

Lovely goal by Pod though in a good first half. THAT is the standard we need to consistently have.

Don't these lads know who and what they are playing for?! If not, then we have to start thinking about Stoke City away next season...

P.S: this maybe a bit emotive, but the truth is laid out from blowing another lead and seeing the table, regardless if we are 3 points off 13th.

Emotive is understatement of the season. You've had a headsgone here.

We were excellent in the first half. Energetic, played some lovely football and were a threat. If we'd gone in 3-0 up nobody of any teams persuasion would have complained.

Villa regrouped and our lack of fitness for 90 minutes became evident from about 65 minutes onwards. That's not on the players, not on Julen, that's on Bruno and the previous regime.

The only things that matter are:

1) The noticiable improvement in the quality of our football and a clear and obvious gameplan, coupled with obvious desire from our players and

2) We're picking up points again. 4 from 3 games where one of the games is an in-form Yanited.

West Ham on the 14th is HUGE.

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A good point, we played well first half and Villa were always going to improve 2nd half but we still created 3 or 4 good opportunities on the counter attack, so almost the ideal away performance

We are going in the right direction, 3 games ago we were 4 points from safety, and now we are 3 points off 13th. 8 teams so close together is another positive

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For long minutes in that first half we looked like the Sevilla side of JL playing against those Wolves of Nuno. Similarly, Villa have good players, who are motivated, are on a good run and have an excellent manager in the dugout. Still we totally played them off the park.

That was the best I've seen us play in months and considering this is the same group of players that looked totally beat a month or so ago, it is a very impressive turn around.

I thought Nunes looked every bit a top midfielder we believed we signed in August.
Moutinho was very effective in a more advanced role, where his shortcomings (legs gone) are less evident.
Podence, after giving up on the fancy flicks, actually looked like a very important and effective player.
The much maligned Collins was very good at the back, he's got pace to burn and could match a speed merchant that Watkins is easily.

Second half they came on us, but that was expected - they are a side who have also benefited to switch from a PE teacher (with all respect to those) to a top level manager. The only way they are going in the table this season is up. We don't have the fitness yet (again, thank you Bruno!) to play as we did in the first half.

At the moment the goal went in it felt like two points dropped, but in the end it is a very good point away from home.

Sa and Kilman could still have done better.

If the first half is the indicator of where JL can take us, then I pray we don't end up relegated due to a sheer incompetence of Jeff Shi and his staff. How could an imposter like Bruno Lage be allowed to run (ruin?) this team for so long?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just one point, as I’m sure everything has been said in the preceding seven pages.

But around the 55th minute Adama was through on the right. He blasted a cross in which Martinez could only palm away. Costa and Hwang where in the box, but there was barely another Wolves player in the Villa half. The midfield three must have been 40 yards away from what could have been a decent chance.

You suspect the fitness levels are still some way from where JL wants them to be – and we desperately need some real athleticism in the transfer window

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just one point, as I’m sure everything has been said in the preceding seven pages.

But around the 55th minute Adama was through on the right. He blasted a cross in which Martinez could only palm away. Costa and Hwang where in the box, but there was barely another Wolves player in the Villa half. The midfield three must have been 40 yards away from what could have been a decent chance.

You suspect the fitness levels are still some way from where JL wants them to be – and we desperately need some real athleticism in the transfer window
Yeah we're still suffering from a lack of fitness bought about by Lage, we're much fitter than we were but it'll take a while before we're up to rest.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was late and a bit high but not a red for me. That said, under the old VAR could easily see it given

Agree re Villa away. Stale and their fans are ****
I was surprised Hwang stayed on. I'd have wanted a red if a villa player did that

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was surprised Hwang stayed on. I'd have wanted a red if a villa player did that

I think VAR didn’t give it as the ref gave a yellow, and it wasn’t a clear and obvious error. Whisper it quietly, but since the change of command at PGMOL, VAR seems to be working more as it does in other leagues and internationals.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok it felt like a loss with them scoring late on and last night was difficult to assess in the aftermath
Having slept on it it was a good point,i expected a loss tbh

Great first half ,went into our shells too early, but were pushed there to a certain extent by the Villa change in formation
We needed an extra midfielder unfortunately Hodge isnt the answer just yet,and that nullified our attack massively

If JL chose to defend the lead then Traore was a mistake, he does nothing off the ball or defensively,Costa does way more
Cunha looked sharp and made several good runs,ignored as usual,but i like what i see

To be unlocked by simple over the top balls is criminal and Kilman,who had a decent game btw,was primarily to blame
If you dont have pace you need positional awareness and he needs to learn that fast

Overall its 4 point from 3 games could easily have been more, but even that total would keep us up if we maintain it

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For long minutes in that first half we looked like the Sevilla side of JL playing against those Wolves of Nuno. Similarly, Villa have good players, who are motivated, are on a good run and have an excellent manager in the dugout. Still we totally played them off the park.

That was the best I've seen us play in months and considering this is the same group of players that looked totally beat a month or so ago, it is a very impressive turn around.

I thought Nunes looked every bit a top midfielder we believed we signed in August.
Moutinho was very effective in a more advanced role, where his shortcomings (legs gone) are less evident.
Podence, after giving up on the fancy flicks, actually looked like a very important and effective player.
The much maligned Collins was very good at the back, he's got pace to burn and could match a speed merchant that Watkins is easily.

Second half they came on us, but that was expected - they are a side who have also benefited to switch from a PE teacher (with all respect to those) to a top level manager. The only way they are going in the table this season is up. We don't have the fitness yet (again, thank you Bruno!) to play as we did in the first half.

At the moment the goal went in it felt like two points dropped, but in the end it is a very good point away from home.

If the first half is the indicator of where JL can take us, then I pray we don't end up relegated due to a sheer incompetence of Jeff Shi and his staff. How could an imposter like Bruno Lage be allowed to run (ruin?) this team for so long?

Good summary, and I agree with all of it.

What I was also thinking was how the performances have evolved under Lopetegui. We have kept a fairly stable starting line up, and each first half looks better than in the prior game. What’s interesting is that in the last two games, we’ve effectively stifled the opposition in the first half, stopped them scoring, mostly dominated play, and yesterday, even got a goal as reward. If we can extend this style and dominance into the second half as fitness improves, and still have the flexibility to adapt like we have, then we should start to climb the league.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
Good first half but back to the usual second half too deep. We are going down unless we go for it .
pretty much as i viewed it,weak mentality and it will come back to haunt us.when they realise the severity of the situation it may be too late.on the whole a decent point but so easily should have been three,because of our predicament you have to grasp any opportunity for victory

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Still mystified that people think we were pinned back second half because we ran out of legs (not saying there's not some truth in that) or through choice, rather than because of their tactical change.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It can be both...
i think it was a bit of both, also bringing on Traore who i love but hes not a pressing forward - can see why JL is playing Hwang over him as hes technically inferior but works hard and chases the ball down

Hodge is great but needs more game time and a champ loan IMO - Boubs would have been perfect yesterday and would have made the difference i think.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still mystified that people think we were pinned back second half because we ran out of legs (not saying there's not some truth in that) or through choice, rather than because of their tactical change.

The high press is knackering on the players, and even without their change, clearly our starting 11 cannot sustain 90 mins of it at the level required yet. It is improving though, getting more effective and lasting longer. Those on the bench appear less capable of maintaining an effective press, although they have other strengths like pace to get behind lines.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It can be both...
Yes, like I said for example Adama doesn't work back like Hwang does and then Hodge works very hard, but doesn't have the nous of Moutinho. But the main thing for me is that in the first half we always had a free player to give the ball to in midfield, that wasn't the case after the break, so we found it far harder to play the ball out, that was the fundamental change for me. Emery got his starting line up wrong and we should have buried them first half.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

An excellent report. To answer your last sentence - Mendes ?

Last edited:
T

TheConcourse

It’s absolutely criminal what Bruno has done to this squad, and indeed what he’s been allowed to do to this squad.

We’ve frittered away 15 games + of a season. Staggering. That’s giving me the hope that we’ll be okay.

We’re technically miles better than every other team down there. A couple of additions and I fancy us to go on a bit of a run.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We was battering them until Podence and Moutinho went off we lost shape and balance of the team we became over ran and exposed in the middle Hodge wasn’t up to the required standard last night Ronan would of been better but he never gets a look in. Podence okay fair enough but we have to be stronger in a position and such an avoidable goal. Overall great performance play like that every game we will win a lot more. Important the team keeps working on fitness evidently later stages of the game we struggle.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could be very lucky this season in that there appears to be around eight rubbish or wildly inconsistent teams who all could get relegated. If it was a 'strong league' season we could be in deeper trouble already.

It's going to be a long hard relegation battle in the league with lots of twists and turns just because of how many teams are in it!

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could be very lucky this season in that there appears to be around eight rubbish or wildly inconsistent teams who all could get relegated. If it was a 'strong league' season we could be in deeper trouble already.

It's going to be a long hard relegation battle in the league with lots of twists and turns just because of how many teams are in it!

The problem is, many of those eight, always get out of trouble and the Brentfod and Brighton 's are cruising it.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, like I said for example Adama doesn't work back like Hwang does and then Hodge works very hard, but doesn't have the nous of Moutinho. But the main thing for me is that in the first half we always had a free player to give the ball to in midfield, that wasn't the case after the break, so we found it far harder to play the ball out, that was the fundamental change for me. Emery got his starting line up wrong and we should have buried them first half.
For all our dominance first half, there weren't exactly many clear cut chances?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, that's true, but there should have been given the control we had in the midfield.
Why though? It hasn't come all season. We've controlled a lot of first half's this season. Our problem has not been control, it has been scoring goals. Podence's bit of magic aside we didn't create enough really.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. Basically same problems in the final third on creating cut chances.

But I see clear signs of us becoming more difficult to beat.
Oh yeah there is more positives than negatives for sure. That was a good performance against a good team. We played for the full 90 as well.

I think sometimes the same passages of play happen when you are 1-0 up as 1-0 down and the scoreline exaggerates everything.

T

TheConcourse

Why though? It hasn't come all season. We've controlled a lot of first half's this season. Our problem has not been control, it has been scoring goals. Podence's bit of magic aside we didn't create enough really.
I dunno, we had the Nunes chance, Costa’s flick for Podence.

Trying to zoom out for a second, because I kind of agree that they weren’t clear cut, but it feels like we’re at least getting into the positions now where we can hurt teams.

Not sure that’s been the case as a collective for a long time.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dunno, we had the Nunes chance, Costa’s flick for Podence.

Trying to zoom out for a second, because I kind of agree that they weren’t clear cut, but it feels like we’re at least getting into the positions now where we can hurt teams.

Not sure that’s been the case as a collective for a long time.
Mostly agree with this...it's just confidence/application rather than not creating anything:

- Podence should have played in Costa
- Traore has Nunes completely free at back post when he blazed over with left foot
- RAN takes any kind of touch apart from the heavy one he did and he gives Traore a simple tap-in

Any of those come off and it was game over. It'll come...

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still disappointed we didnt push on and finish Villa off, they was there for the taking.

We outfootballed them in the first half completely. They was so arrogant coming into the game too. But yet again we proved to a man we are capable of knocking it about the pitch only in a way they can dream of.

Game on game, we are making improvements. We just need to back Julen now. If we had capable replacements for Moutinho/Podence we may have held on last night. These are areas we need to improve.

T

TheConcourse

Mostly agree with this...it's just confidence/application rather than not creating anything:

- Podence should have played in Costa
- Traore has Nunes completely free at back post when he blazed over with left foot
- RAN takes any kind of touch apart from the heavy one he did and he gives Traore a simple tap-in

Any of those come off and it was game over. It'll come...
Aha, that was the other moment in the game where my head hit the hands. Couldn’t believe he didn’t just roll that ball across the box.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wh
Still disappointed we didnt push on and finish Villa off, they was there for the taking.

We outfootballed them in the first half completely. They was so arrogant coming into the game too. But yet again we proved to a man we are capable of knocking it about the pitch only in a way they can dream of.

Game on game, we are making improvements. We just need to back Julen now. If we had capable replacements for Moutinho/Podence we may have held on last night. These are areas we need to improve.
How many teams have we ‘finished off’ in the last 4 years? It’s my biggest issue since we’ve been back in the prem. We very rarely get comfortable wins

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wh

How many teams have we ‘finished off’ in the last 4 years? It’s my biggest issue since we’ve been back in the prem. We very rarely get comfortable wins
I would disagree with that though because in the last 4 years we had a different (better?) gameplan. We would ease our way into games and often win in the second half and our game management would lead to comfortable wins, even if it was 1-0.

Back
Top Bottom