Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa verdict

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Where to start?!

Looked a slightly negative and unbalanced line-up on paper with the three centre-midfielders and Marcal ahead of Ait-Nouri (as much as I think Marcal is decent, I personally see RAN as going right to the top and already think he offers us more on that side, particularly going forward).

Very even first half (probably just shaded by them) with both keepers making a good save apiece. Unbelievable run from Adama and whilst I don’t think he did too much wrong with the finish, it’s another in an increasing line of chances that he could, and possibly should, have scored.

Started the second half very poorly. Saiss rolled way too easily by (the excellent) McGinn and Ings given the freedom of our box to put them ahead. Worse was to follow as Hwang (who had a shocker throughout) gave the ball away cheaply to McGinn who with the help of a slight deflection from Neves gave them a second which didn’t really reflect how the game had gone.

After that, we looked increasingly ragged (and unlikely to get anything from the game) until a piece of magic from Neves and Podence gave Saiss the chance to atone for his earlier error.

With Podence increasingly influencing the game, we looked reinvigorated and after Kilman somehow managed to hit the bar from 6 yards out, a great piece of skill from Adama found the Donk who squared the ball across for Coady to equalise via a very fortunate deflection.

Another great run from Adama in the 94th minute resulted in a last-gasp free-kick and whilst it certainly wasn’t one of his purest strikes, Neves proved that the old adage of making sure you hit the Targett has never rang more true sending the Wolves players and supporters into raptures of ecstasy.

Truth be told, having not deserved to be 2-0 down, we probably didn’t deserve to go on and win it. And it seemed to me as if the turnaround was as much due to luck as any tactical masterclass but **** it, we’ve deserved a bit of that this season and these are the moments and days that make football so great!

Sa 7 - great save from Ings. No chance on the goals.

Saiss 6 - poor for their first goal. Redeemed himself with our first.
Coady 6 - amazing scenes after his equaliser and at the end.
Kilman 7 - thought he was the pick of the three again. First CB on the teamsheet for me at the moment.

Semedo 6
Moutinho 6 - So good on the ball but run past way too easily (and frequently) by McGinn.
Dendoncker 6
Neves 7
Marcal 6 - Typical Marcal performance. Steady, got in some great positions but did nothing with it.

Hwang 4 - just one of those days where everything went wrong.
Traore 7 - Thought he was excellent second half, particularly in the absence of any support from Hwang. Great ball for the second and nobody else gets us in that position for the winner.

Podence 8 - Hugely positive and showed that bit of class and composure in their box which changed the game.
Fabio 6 - looked sharp. Really unlucky to have a foul given against him when he outmuscled Tuanzebe.
Raul N/A

As i say, a strange game which offered more questions than answers. The one thing I am certain of though is we are a much better side when we set up to really have a go at teams. Be true to yourself Bruno and let the handbrake off.

I know we’ve said this loads before but we are a Botman and Sanches away from having a really exciting side.

Would love to see something like:

Sa
Semedo, Kilman/Boly, Botman, RAN
Neves, Sanches
Trincao/Neto, Podence, Traore
Raul

That’s for another day though. Let’s just enjoy tonight!

Well done Bruno and the boys!
Joy the targett love it

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What did he do wrong defensively? Seeing what you want to see

Really not. I think he's fine defensively these days but today he fell apart second half just like everyone else.

As I said, play him in a 4 but he's a poor wing back. Attacks repeatedly broke down with him not because he attacked but because he dithered or went backwards or, in one case, simply passed backwards to their player and put us under pressure. Count how many crosses he gets over or even tries.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was ready to write us off at the end of that 1st half, but **** me that was very special in the last 10 minutes.

I am really looking forward to going in to work on Monday to wind all the Villa fans up!

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No had chance to post today. Coaching my girls team to a 6-0 victory in our own local derby!

Bloody delighted - mind the gap you Villa ****s.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put the score on and we were losing 2-0.

I had to some work on the computer and got engrossed, it was 5:20pm before I flicked on bbc expected a 3 or 4 nil pasting.

I couldn't believe it. I literally couldn't stop laughing for 10 mins. Absolutely delighted with the result.

But like many others I just don't understand how Marcel gets in the side above RAN and every one knows I think Semedo is a **** poor defender.

I don't care if we rode our luck a bit, it's another 3 points in the bank. 10 more wins and we stay up, but we get to add a couple more quality players. We are still three quality additions away from a good side.

Well done to everyone who went, the atmosphere looked excellent.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In sharing a picture of FULL JOY in a British pub aboard (after 3 pints!), that was our 1st game to get 3, since Brighton and Hove Alion away last season!

Sometimes it's a case of WHO CARES how you win, knowing of the way that A WIN comes about. This Afternoon fits that beautifully and I'm sure that we will be buzzing for a VERY long time!

245938519_4733186970033310_7730711275975035093_n.jpg
If you are the guy, you are holding a very small drink......

Is it claret....?

And blue? ;)

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
From the comments I've read on here and heard on WM, it's as if good play, pressure, and chances created in the last 10 minutes don't count towards judging whether a performance is good or not. A match is 90 minutes plus injury time, not 80 minutes. All this talk of Villa coasting or dominating. First half was fairly even but we had some really good spells of possession but couldn't quite find the killer pass. After Villa went ahead with a good goal we had another good spell but couldn't take advantage of it. Then they scored from a mistake by Hwang followed by a big deflection from McGinn's shot. The game was then scrappy for a while but no team dominated. We deservedly pulled a goal back after we built up a lot of pressure and from that point there was only on team in it. After we equalised only one team had a chance of winning it.

All this talk on the radio after the game of Villa not managing the game. There are two teams playing in a game and it depends on what both teams do, not just game management of one team. Message to all of the pundits on WM, including Mel Eves, the last 10 minutes count and if you play well in that period of the game it isn't due to good fortune, it's part of the overall performance. The stats don't lie:

Screenshot_20211016-200412.png

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really. Villa were as bad. Two poor teams. Even at our worst today I thought we had longer spells of possession and pressure.

Poor compared to what? There was a certain amount of cancelling each other out. But it's two teams who are comfortable mid-table in the highest rated league in the world. Each has several players bigger clubs would love to steal. .

Also, I don't think the recent international travelling did either side any favours. Though having said that, I don't think our initial team selection & formation, nor our negative mentality, did us any favours, either. It was nice of Smith to reciprocate by taking off two their best players and replace them with what looked like a couple of sunday league players, too!

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am out tonight with my mates, three of whom are middle class Brummies who were all at the game today supporting Villa. When they move past the hurt they describe us as "mentality monsters" and I agree.

The key to the win today are the personalities - the Conor Coady's and the Ruben Neves's who cajole, galvanise, admonish and drive this team to brilliance. Absolutely amazing.

We are lucky to have them and, when the **** hits the fan, they are standing up to be counted, game after game, week after week. We are so lucky to have them.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a really good point. The mentality is amazing and has been for years.

The likes of Coady, Neves,Mouts,Raul are central to that. They may have bad games, but as characters, there are very few squads I'd swap ours for.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am out tonight with my mates, three of whom are middle class Brummies who were all at the game today supporting Villa. When they move past the hurt they describe us as "mentality monsters" and I agree.

The key to the win today are the personalities - the Conor Coady's and the Ruben Neves's who cajole, galvanise, admonish and drive this team to brilliance. Absolutely amazing.

We are lucky to have them and, when the **** hits the fan, they are standing up to be counted, game after game, week after week. We are so lucky to have them.

Don't forget Moutinho, when it comes to mentality and drive. And Saiss is another. Whatever their weaknesses, you never get less than 110% from them. And I think you are right in that players like that are vital and may explain why despite often not really playing well at all, we still rack up enough points to stay safe.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Resting up with covid fatigue but I rose from my sick bed like Lazarus when that 3rd goal went in. Absolutely hilarious and all the better for it being a deflection off someone's ****.

I didn't think we were too bad in the first half, but we need to play RAN if we go 532 as otherwise we've no outlet down the left.
I feel your pain mate, get well soon.

T

TheConcourse

Poor compared to what? There was a certain amount of cancelling each other out. But it's two teams who are comfortable mid-table in the highest rated league in the world. Each has several players bigger clubs would love to steal. .

Also, I don't think the recent international travelling did either side any favours. Though having said that, I don't think our initial team selection & formation, nor our negative mentality, did us any favours, either. It was nice of Smith to reciprocate by taking off two their best players and replace them with what looked like a couple of sunday league players, too!
Agree on the last point. No idea what Smith was thinking. We totally lost our heads in a 20 minute second half spell.

We were clearly the better side for the last 20 minutes - Podence and Silva gave us a much more familiar shape and helped us to dominate the ball.

Thought it was a really poor game with an incredible finish. Both teams really struggled to maintain possession and create anything clear cut.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't forget Moutinho, when it comes to mentality and drive. And Saiss is another. Whatever their weaknesses, you never get less than 110% from them. And I think you are right in that players like that are vital and may explain why despite often not really playing well at all, we still rack up enough points to stay safe.
Bang on - Moutinho and Saiss are key to that and they are central to who we are as well.

Back
Top Bottom