Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Villa verdict thread

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As frustrating as it is, I have to be fairly content with the point in the end.

First half, we started poorly, but then it just turned into a typical derby with very little fluent play and a deserved goalless scoreline. For a neutral it was probably a stinker of a game.

Second half had some decent attacking scenes and the Neto/Hwang axis again bore fruit, but it felt a slightly fortunate lead which Semedo swiftly cancelled out with his usual backpost antics.

Decent subs from O'Neil today and it looked like we might get a second wind and nick the win as Boubacar and Sasa made a real impact. Neto with a 100% chance for 2-1 after an inch perfect cross from Sasa.

The second yellow just took all the wind out of our sails though and we were fortunate not to concede again with how much we invited Villa to play afterwards. Knowing our luck, I almost thought VAR would gift Vila a penalty with Doherty's shove on Watkins.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have happily taken a point at the start of play but blow me, was that an atrocious watch. Two sides more interested in breaking up the opposition’s momentum rather than creating any of their own. We stifled an in-form Villa side to good effect and mostly defended well as a unit, but Semedo depressingly reverted to type; his inability to maintain concentration nor track runners at the back post is a liability. Lemina has a silly booking in him, and it cost him today. Thankfully it didn’t cost us, but we were grimly holding on at the end. Neto and Hwang once more look like the only source of goals, and Sasa and Boubacar looked decent I thought from the bench.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with the point. Could have won it, could have lost it, a point a fair result overall.

We’ve played two of the best scoring sides in the league and kept their chances fairly low since moving to 5 at the back.. I think Neto, Hwang, Cunha and Sasa will score us enough to win some games on the run up to Christmas, as long as we stay solid at the back.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Happy with the point. Could have won it, could have lost it, a point a fair result overall.

We’ve played two of the best scoring sides in the league and kept their chances fairly low since moving to 5 at the back.. I think Neto, Hwang, Cunha and Sasa will score us enough to win some games on the run up to Christmas, as long as we stay solid at the back.
4points from 2 tough opponents is more than most expected

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good result, missed a few chances but so did Villa, we'll take that.

Competed well and was an even game against a side playing in Europe. Happy with that.

One issue though is our lack of gamesmanship, I like how combative our midfielders are but we need to be more coy/cute in terms of the challenges we are making and avoid giving away so many fouls in dangerous areas and picking up cards.

On the whole though, good stuff.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Thought we played ok and a draw was a fair result. Had a really good spell after they equalised and should have gone ahead with the Neto chance. The red card (self-inflicted in giving the ball away in a great position and then Lemina’s stupidity) killed any momentum and we were really hanging on at the end.

Felt for Fabio. On for 5 minutes then having to play in a midfield three with Neto and Traore (who continues to impress in cameos and deserves to come straight in at Bournemouth).

Dawson was very good throughout and the Hwang/Neto combination continues to flourish. Thought Sasa looked sharp and mobile when he came on too.

Sa 7
Kilman 6
Dawson 7
Toti 6
Semedo 6
Gomes 6
Lemina 6
RAN 6
Hwang 7
Cunha 6
Neto 7

Doherty 6
Traore 7
Sasa 7
Fabio N/A

Decent enough showing against a good Villa side. Two decent performances on the spin, with a more organised structure than before has left me feeling a lot more positive than I was after the Ipswich and Luton games.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Overall a decent point, lucky at the end but when it was 11v11 it was even and they are a team full of confidence, with a world class manager and some very good results recently... little bit frustrated we switched off after Hwangs goal.

4 points from 4 games I think most of us would've expected to have lost heavily is a great return, still not 100 percent convinced by GON but I'm hoping he proves me massively wrong. The last two games he deserves nothing but praise and I do think the players are 100 percent committed to him.

Neto and Hwang brilliant but Mario Lemina who I am massive fan needs to stop with avoidable yellow cards and making the referee have an easy decision to make, we rode our luck once he went off.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Felt like a winnable game with the complete lack of tempo or momentum in the game. A very stop start affair with a lot of niggly fouls and injuries. We had our chances to win it, and so did Villa after the sending off. In the context of this season and how good Villa have been under Emery (18 wins in 28 games), it's a good point that keeps up the momentum from the Man City win going into Bournemouth.

Villa looked a bit tired from their Europa Conference League game on Thursday, but in the grand scheme of things I would have taken a point before kick off so I can't be too disappointed. Back five is definitely the way forward, RAN was electric until his concussion. Front three worked well again. Back three solid.

12 goals conceded in 6 games to 2 goals conceded in 2 games against Man City and in-form Villa (3rd best team in 2023 thus far), it's a vast improvement. We aren't a free scoring side, so we're far more likely to pick up a 1-0 or a 2-1 than a 3-2 or a 4-3.

Onwards and upwards. Bournemouth game is massive, two weeks to prepare for that now. GON will be well up for that battle.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 points from City and Villa can only be a positive. I’m spending the rest of my Sunday more than content with our recent form.

Back 3 suits us massively and I’m so happy to watch us feeling comfortable with the defence.

I know Semedo is going to get pelters for today but you can’t seriously blame him for Lemina being a **** on a booking, that’s just crazy and unfair.

Sa was good again.
Back 3 we’re all solid and work brilliantly together.
Semedo and RAN were quality first half.
Gomes had a quiet game.
Lemina was excellent until his stupidity.
Neto and Hwang were a constant threat and Cunha was as disciplined as ever.

It went a little wrong when Doc came on as it unbalanced us and Sasa clearly doesn’t suit us just yet but maybe when his fitness improves GON could tweak a few things to accommodate him more regularly. Boubs was as good as ever and is going to be pushing Gomes and Lemina very hard very soon.

I’d have taken the draw before the game so I’m good with that, it’s just a shame that we didn’t manage to keep the lead until the game settled back down - it would have given us something to hang on to and given us counter attacking opportunities. Neto’s chance too… grrrr!!!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your Sunday chaps and chapettes. Let’s hope we’ve turned a corner!!!!

Up the wolves!!!!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to cut Semedo a bit of slack for their equaliser. If it was a Villa forward or midfielder that stole a march on him at the back post, then fair enough, that’s his job.
But CB loitering where nobody expects causes problems for most defences, it’s that kind of situation where Varane does us against Yanited.

The appalling shot when he was through, and the heavy touch that put Lemina in trouble, not so much.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Meh. Lucky to get a point, 5 at the back wasn't required at all today, an extra midfielder and we could win that, not have a player sent off and have more control. If anyone truely believes a couple of chances a game Purley down to some excellent running from Neto is the future then the transformation to plucky little wolves has been completed, I want a team that looks to find a way to win a game not set out with a not lose mentality, subtle differences in mindset make a massive difference.

Awful watch with too much "gamesmanship" from both sides and naive, inconsistent reffing.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to cut Semedo a bit of slack for their equaliser. If it was a Villa forward or midfielder that stole a march on him at the back post, then fair enough, that’s his job.
But CB loitering where nobody expects causes problems for most defences, it’s that kind of situation where Varane does us against Yanited.

The appalling shot when he was through, and the heavy touch that put Lemina in trouble, not so much.
It's his space to defend. Complete lack of awareness with his positioning, he's stood a yard higher than Dawson and Kilman. He expects Lemina to take his man rather than doing his job. Absolutely is his fault.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A point keeps the scoreboard ticking over. Can't grumble with 4 points out of the last 2 games. I definitely feel like there is enough in this squad to finish around 12th, 13th.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meh. Lucky to get a point, 5 at the back wasn't required at all today, an extra midfielder and we could win that, not have a player sent off and have more control. If anyone truely believes a couple of chances a game Purley down to some excellent running from Neto is the future then the transformation to plucky little wolves has been completed, I want a team that looks to find a way to win a game not set out with a not lose mentality, subtle differences in mindset make a massive difference.

Awful watch with too much "gamesmanship" from both sides and naive, inconsistent reffing.
An extra midfielder and there's a good chance we conceded 4 or 5. They just beat Brighton 5-1 who thrashed us a few weeks ago. There may be occasions where we need to be braver, but Villa on current form isn't one of them.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we played ok and a draw was a fair result. Had a really good spell after they equalised and should have gone ahead with the Neto chance. The red card (self-inflicted in giving the ball away in a great position and then Lemina’s stupidity) killed any momentum and we were really hanging on at the end.

Felt for Fabio. On for 5 minutes then having to play in a midfield three with Neto and Traore (who continues to impress in cameos and deserves to come straight in at Bournemouth).

Dawson was very good throughout and the Hwang/Neto combination continues to flourish. Thought Sasa looked sharp and mobile when he came on too.

Sa 7
Kilman 6
Dawson 7
Toti 6
Semedo 6
Gomes 6
Lemina 6
RAN 6
Hwang 7
Cunha 6
Neto 7

Doherty 6
Traore 7
Sasa 7
Fabio N/A

Decent enough showing against a good Villa side. Two decent performances on the spin, with a more organised structure than before has left me feeling a lot more positive than I was after the Ipswich and Luton games.
How can you give toti and semedo the same when he was responsible for the goal and his bad touch led to the red card of lemina?

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score

I think GON would have got pelters if we’d changed back to a back 4 and ended up losing.

We may have been lucky at the end but I don’t feel up to the sending off we were fortunate to be drawing.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would have been happy with a point before the game, and also predicted 1-1 with Hwang scoring (!) - but didn't put a bet on - doh!

So got to be happy with a battling display - not much quality really, and Villa shaded it. Annoying that Lemina is suspended. But not as annoying as McGinn - man, I hate that guy.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They'd of sliced us like a knife through butter in a 4 with their attacking lot.

Stee

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We just don't have the players for what you are after right now in my opinion.

We have tried not using the back 5 and we look shambolic. Back 5 has to be the way right now and we could easily have won that game so I don't think we were lucky at all.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it was two sides waiting for the other to lose the game rather than going to try and win it themselves until Villa had a man advantage for the final ten minutes, and up until Lemina's red there was nothing in it, a draw being the right result

We're very reliant on Neto, almost overly so, but he's producing and thought Kilman was excellent

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
An extra midfielder and there's a good chance we conceded 4 or 5. They just beat Brighton 5-1 who thrashed us a few weeks ago. There may be occasions where we need to be braver, but Villa on current form isn't one of them.
Disagree, we didn't need it today, a deep lying midfielder would've done the job just fine. But it would have allowed us more control in the middle where we struggled for large parts of the game.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's his space to defend. Complete lack of awareness with his positioning, he's stood a yard higher than Dawson and Kilman. He expects Lemina to take his man rather than doing his job. Absolutely is his fault.
You could argue Dawson and Kilman were too deep. Saying that i haven’t seen it back

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could argue Dawson and Kilman were too deep. Saying that i haven’t seen it back
I wouldn't say so. Semedo as the right back has to track the line of the centre backs, the ball had come out after the initial freekick so they were still getting out. He was just too high, in my opinion.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mostly a cagey snooze but probably should’ve been up 2-1 on chances before the rouge, then probably should’ve conceded. Draw was fair either way.

Sa 7 - Several brilliant saves but kept giving the ball back to them.

Max 6- fine all around, showed some long passing and some dribbling and generally was in the right place.

Dawson 7- swept up well and nobody got loose while we had 11. Couple decent out balls. Constantly involved.

Toti 6- fine defensively, got free for headers and could’ve scored early if Pedro hadn’t missed his head high 3x on set pieces

Semedo 5-gave us the brain fart, the weak crossing, the non-finishing, and threw in an offside run plus a rare(first) horrendous touch which put Lemina the test he failed

Lemina 6- good shift but he essentially chose a red when he pulled that shirt

Joao Gomes 6- TBH he looked a bit wild early and I didn’t notice him much after that but I can’t say he was poor

RAN- he looked great until he got rocked

Pedro Neto 7- didn’t actually do too much and didn’t look that good but the kid had a moment on the Hwang goal and another on the almost-pen and was still getting into the box late

Cunha 6- I liked his contribution in the first half but didn’t really come out for the 2nd

Hwang 7- as usual, a goal-dependent 7

Doc 6- he was fine, just not RAN

Sasa 7- looked great in his almost half hour. Did well with any ball that actually entered his orbit, great passing too. Looked faster but his effort on goal wasn’t great

Bouba 6- once again very lively. Should start next week

Fabio- none of that, thank you. There’s better

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
11 v 11 I thought we shaded it and played well.

Gary is getting a grip on the team and you can see the progression.

The only difference between them and us is that they've had a settled preseason with a good manager we are getting there during the season.

Pleased with the performance overall.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree, we didn't need it today, a deep lying midfielder would've done the job just fine. But it would have allowed us more control in the middle where we struggled for large parts of the game.
Agree to disagree! I think in most games where we aren't the ball dominant side (which is most games in this league nowadays), it suits us far better to be more defensively solid while having the threat on the counter. An extra midfielder doesn't help us to defend against the speed of Diaby and Watkins, an extra defender does.

Bournemouth I think there's a conversation to be had for a back four, especially with Bellegarde being back in contention, but with Doc at right back (Semedo is suspended due to a 5th yellow), I'd stick with a five.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
How can you give toti and semedo the same when he was responsible for the goal and his bad touch led to the red card of lemina?

That’s probably fair. Although I thought Toti was slow to react for the free-kick for the equaliser.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having received two yellows, the first which took him to 5 for the season so far, how many games is Lemina suspended for.

Back
Top Bottom