Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR 2023-24

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was hoping I wouldn't have had to add to this thread. However after Gary and Jeff both had their say about Saturdays VAR intervention, so I guess that's official and I'm going to add it to the list. This is the story so far this season....

Game 1. Man Utd keeper clattered into Sasa Kalajdzjic. VAR disallowed penalty which if scored, result would have been 1-1. (1 point lost due to VAR)

Game 6. Penalty given to Luton which should have been disallowed by VAR. Cost Wolves the win. Wolves could now be on 7 points instead of 4. (VAR cost us a total of 3 points so far this season)

Game 10. Penalty given to Newcastle (Schar left a leg dangling, making it look like Hwang tripped him and Anthony Taylor’s decision wasn’t overturned by VAR). Final score 2-2, but should have been 2-1, so 2 more points lost due to VAR. (VAR cost us a total of 5 points so far this season)

Game 11. Penalty given to Sheffield United in dying minute of the game for a tackle with minimal contact in our penalty area. Once again the poor decision by the referee wasn't corrected by VAR. Up to that moment we were level and on for a point. (VAR cost us a total of 6 points so far this season)

Game 13. First penalty conceded against Fulham. Fulham player dived and Semedo never touched him. VAR didn’t intervene. Game finished 3-2, instead of 2-2. So 1 point lost last night. (VAR cost us a total of 7 points so far this season

Game 31. Max Kilman's 99th minute equaliser would have made it 2-2 against West Ham, however VAR (Tim Robinson) had a look for how to disallow it and decided that Chirewa was obstructing Fabianski. Gary O'Neil and then everyone on Match of the Day disagreed with that and even Jeff Shi entered the debate. 1 point lost. (VAR now has cost us a total 8 points this season)
So Everton had 8 points deductions for breaking the rules. Wolves had 8 points deducted by VAR and Officials without breaking any rule, when actually they restrained themselves from buying more players, to ensure they do not break the rules. From where has this JUSTICE come off.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR would be OK if it was immediate , so my suggestion is to replace all referees by sophisticated robots , fitted with Ai , plugged in to 25 cameras , with a form of facial recognition to measure intent, and to come up with an immediate decision.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gallagher talks utter nonsense on that show. He always agrees with the bad decisions. Good job Sue Smith and Stephen Warnock actually are not biased and give balanced views

I think Stephen Warnock and Sue Smith are easily two of the best pundits on TV. I love that look Sue gives Gallagher that says " Are you for real " But best of all is the sheer tone of exasperation in Stephen Warnock's voice as you feel if it was down the pub and not in a TV studio he would be saying " I am sorry Dermot but you are talking complete balls ! "

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where Dermot Gallagher is concerned I can imagine offering his view of the captain of the Titanic if Gallagher himself was a skipper of a ship.

" Well I can see subjectively why he hit that bloody great chunk of ice as from where he was standing on the bridge he clearly had an obstructed view "

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sure that he did not see the match or its highlights at least, so what about their winner from a corner, with Antonio and their captain, blocking SA from making an intervention. You must be joking.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He also says that our pen wasn’t a pen…..

Not arguing the offside comment, as it is good he is being honest.

But to say ours wasn’t a pen is bloody brain dead!!!!
Moyes said similar about our penalty.
I find it utterly bemusing that anyone could think it is anything other than a stonewall penalty..
If West Ham wanna complain about something I’d have more sympathy if they argued about their disallowed goal when Semado was accidentally stood on.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Fair play, although of course our pen, which I'm still not totally sure about, was given by the onfield ref, so don't know how that's a VAR shambles. Of course the other marginal decision was Antonio bumping Sa as the corner came over.... People are always going to question decisions, I went fairly mental on Saturday though as I couldn't see any way it could be taken off us, I think everyone on the ground was staggered when the game didn't kick off straight away.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moyes said similar about our penalty.
I find it utterly bemusing that anyone could think it is anything other than a stonewall penalty..
If West Ham wanna complain about something I’d have more sympathy if they argued about their disallowed goal when Semado was accidentally stood on.
Exactly this. I don’t know why they’re choosing the penalty where he didn’t get the ball instead of the accidental standing on Semedo which would have sent us into a rage the other way round, and rightly so.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The PGMOL are, like the Ostrich, burying their heads in the sand. Well someone will come up behind them and **** them. Sooner the better IMHO.
The apologies seem to have dried up. Legal advice?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly they’re taking the **** now. I’m sure they’ve reached the point where the PGMOL are just trolling the club for ****s and giggles.
PGMOL don't deal with discipline to be fair, it's the FA.

It's not a joint up system in any case.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope the club sue for a loss of income post season, as a result of this blatant incompetence and shocking decision making.

The FA going to mad, because we were rightfully annoyed with yet another appalling act is ludicrous.

Of course though, abuse at a work place isn’t good and this would have probably been avoided if he’d apologised afterwards.

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Gary O‘Neil said he was asked to leave the officials changing room, I must admit I thought he would be charged.

Don’t these clowns realise it is peoples careers and livelihoods they are using as a plaything for their egos. What they really should be doing is asking how on earth they came to a decision to disallow the goal.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You will be seeing semi automated offsides at some point next which might improve the speed of decisions at least .

Although no one seems quite sure when which is going to cause controversy and issues in itself potentially as can see decisions being made differently with human lines and a computer

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Breaking News: At a Premier League Shareholders’ meeting today, clubs unanimously agreed to the introduction of Semi-Automated Apology letter writing to @Wolves after each Premier League game.

The new system will be used for the first time in the Premier League next season

ade123

Reaction score
Breaking News: At a Premier League Shareholders’ meeting today, clubs unanimously agreed to the introduction of Semi-Automated Apology letter writing to @Wolves after each Premier League game.

The new system will be used for the first time in the Premier League next season
I must have mis-heard; I thought they were doing it retrospectively back to the the first match this season ...

MKB

Groupie
Reaction score
5 seasons of VAR in the league.
Every one of those seasons we've had more VAR overturns go against us than for us, putting us near the bottom of the VAR table each May.
The difference is currently -15 net over the 5 seasons.
And this doesn't include cup games where we've been shafted too.
Apparently decisions even themselves out though. :rolleyes:

2023/24 (so far)
-4 overturns
20th

2022/23
-1 overturn
14th

2021/22
-2 overturns
16th

2020/21
-3 overturns
17th

2019/20
-5 overturns
19th

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastles 4th goal looked similar to killmans last week?
Hard to tell as not checked , but sure a Newcastle player was offside roughly in front of spurs keeper….

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Newcastles 4th goal looked similar to killmans last week?
Hard to tell as not checked , but sure a Newcastle player was offside roughly in front of spurs keeper….
That's correct. Stood in offside position in front of keeper.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I thought it was a push however i didn’t see any of our players claim for it
There were some complaints, but to be honest I didn't know what for. It should be a benefit of VAR as you can't really blame the ref for looking more at Wood and Sa tangling. To be honest having watched it I'm not sure there's enough, so much goes on anyway.

Reactions: Ned
Back
Top Bottom