Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR 2023-24

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can’t stand it. It was meant for clear and obvious errors ie handballs not seen by ref now it’s being used for shoelaces offside. I only watch Wolves in the Premier and prefer to watch champ games as it’s ruined less.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Blue cards will just be another means to help the bigger clubs and penalise the lesser ones. Who is making the blue card decisions? Of course it will be the same muppets making a ****ing mess of the VAR. They are totally wrecking the game.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not convinced by that decision today

When you actually look when the ball is played, that doesn’t look like the still image that shows Dawson offside

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Not convinced by that decision today

When you actually look when the ball is played, that doesn’t look like the still image that shows Dawson offside
You’ll never ever convince me that taking 3 minutes to look at a still image is the best way to judge offside. The linesman gave it. No one appealed for offside. And if it takes that long to decide how can Dawson be getting an advantage. It’s all nonsense. And as for the Brentford fans cheering for VAR, go **** yourselves.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’ll never ever convince me that taking 3 minutes to look at a still image is the best way to judge offside. The linesman gave it. No one appealed for offside. And if it takes that long to decide how can Dawson be getting an advantage. It’s all nonsense. And as for the Brentford fans cheering for VAR, go **** yourselves.

Agreed. As I said earlier on the match thread. Little wonder Brentford have one of the highest positive records for VAR interventions, and Frank was only saying this week, how he thinks they’re getting it right. The bugger wouldn’t be saying that if his team had the VAR record we do.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few points regarding Dawson’s disallowed goal against Brentford…

1. How on earth do they reliably and consistently select the right frame to draw those god forsaken lines across the pitch? There must be any number they could pick from as the ball leaves the boot of the crosser.

2. It was only his toe that was in front of their defenders. I’m not sure I want to see goals being disallowed for that (for or against us).

3. It’s come to something where the first thing I do now when the ball hits the back of the net is try to judge whether the ref and PGMOL are doing a VAR check. Sad days. I’m just glad that the lions share of my life was pre VAR where I could celebrate goals properly.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rule needs changing to benefit the attacker.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Rule needs changing to benefit the attacker.
Like I say I was always a believer that offside was there to stop attackers from deliberately getting an advantage. When it’s as close as the one Saturday, do we really think Dawson’s big toe being offside gives him a deliberate advantage. I think when it’s that close you should really call it level and go with the original decision. If the linesman had stuck his flag up for offside then it’s offside, if he doesn’t, it’s a goal. Don’t they do it in cricket? If the decision is close they go back to the original on pitch decision.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t they do it in cricket
Umpires call, if not a totally incorrect decision after hawkeye has replayed, not sure if fans of football would accept it, be more grey areas to throw at the linesman

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like I say I was always a believer that offside was there to stop attackers from deliberately getting an advantage. When it’s as close as the one Saturday, do we really think Dawson’s big toe being offside gives him a deliberate advantage. I think when it’s that close you should really call it level and go with the original decision. If the linesman had stuck his flag up for offside then it’s offside, if he doesn’t, it’s a goal. Don’t they do it in cricket? If the decision is close they go back to the original on pitch decision.
Theres also a ‘clear and obvious’ precedent that doesn’t seem to apply to off sides.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Theres also a ‘clear and obvious’ precedent that doesn’t seem to apply to off sides.
No, well it never did. Matters of 'fact' don't have to pass that test. Whether offside is always a matter of fact is a different question of course.

Hazza

Reaction score
A few points regarding Dawson’s disallowed goal against Brentford…

1. How on earth do they reliably and consistently select the right frame to draw those god forsaken lines across the pitch? There must be any number they could pick from as the ball leaves the boot of the crosser.

2. It was only his toe that was in front of their defenders. I’m not sure I want to see goals being disallowed for that (for or against us).

3. It’s come to something where the first thing I do now when the ball hits the back of the net is try to judge whether the ref and PGMOL are doing a VAR check. Sad days. I’m just glad that the lions share of my life was pre VAR where I could celebrate goals properly.
Your first point is key for me. The camera technology is such that there is no way the line is accurate with when the crosser of the ball touches the ball. And is it when he touches ball or when it leaves his foot? It’s ridiculous as that’s the key moment and they spend no time looking at that, especially if the cross is deep or long through all. They guess.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched mic’d up. The Newcastle penalty just shows how unsure the refs are of the laws. The VAR and assistant at odds and basically talked themselves into changing their minds. To top it off we then have Michael Owen talking more sense than Howard Webb when discussing it.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having just listened to Howard Webb, I despair. Apart from saying how quick VAR is (an average of 38 seconds per check !!! ) He then amongst his other lots of nonsense describes John McGinn‘s tackle as brutal, it was a red card, but brutal?

Not once did Webb suggest that the officials, either on the pitch, or on VAR got things wrong.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 41273

Funny how the laws weren’t quite explicit when it was Joao Gomes at Luton.
They don’t have a clue.

Handball has become the biggest joke in the game. How can you have different rules depending where you are on the pitch and if you attack or defend.

Same with the offside rule. Why on Saturday does the lino not flag for Coventry offsides to let the chance happen ? But wolves in added time the flag goals up instantly , for an offside just as obvious / tight as the first half decisions.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is embarrassing listening to all the excuse made to justify the decisions. Nothing is explicit as Webb says. The goalposts are moved every week so he can defend the VAR officials.

As for Webb saying it takes an average of 38 seconds for a VAR decision to be made, I can only presume he ignores the many occurrences where it takes several minutes.

VAR has ruined football, and if I had my way it would be gone tomorrow.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
View attachment 41273

I seem to remember them saying something bonkers at the time, like it was a deflection onto Gomes' arm, so it could be a penalty, whereas if he deliberately played it then it couldn't. I mean that makes perfect sense right?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goaline technology great
It’s in or it’s not
Once you get humans drawing imaginary lines on pitches for offside then there is room for error and interpretation and that’s a problem given the egos at pgmol
And then there is the handball another thing open to interpretation

I still think Jimmy Hill had a good idea in the 70s . He suggested an additional 18 yard spot that would be used for penalising professional fouls . Take that further and a non deliberate handball in the area you get an 18 metre pen not a 12 metre pen. You only get a 12 m for deliberate handball. Also a professional foul outside the box instead of a red card you get an 18m pen given against you. Massive dissent? 18m pen.
**** the blue card . The 18m penalty would solve a lot of the issues we have currently.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goaline technology great
It’s in or it’s not
Once you get humans drawing imaginary lines on pitches for offside then there is room for error and interpretation and that’s a problem given the egos at pgmol
And then there is the handball another thing open to interpretation

I still think Jimmy Hill had a good idea in the 70s . He suggested an additional 18 yard spot that would be used for penalising professional fouls . Take that further and a non deliberate handball in the area you get an 18 metre pen not a 12 metre pen. You only get a 12 m for deliberate handball. Also a professional foul outside the box instead of a red card you get an 18m pen given against you. Massive dissent? 18m pen.
**** the blue card . The 18m penalty would solve a lot of the issues we have currently.

Jimmy Hill talked a lot of sense. He had a lot of innovative ideas, such as all seater stadiums and campaigning for minimum wages being just two of them.

Also, he was before my time, but my Father said he was a very decent player as well.

I wonder what Jimmy would have thought of the nonsense that is VAR?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I am like a broken record regarding VAR, but it has ruined the game.

Living near to Leicester I know a few Leicester City fans, and talking to them about this season, they all say more or less the same thing, which is that one good thing about not being in the Premier League is that when they score a goal, they know they can celebrate it without having to wait for VAR to ruin the moment. One chap even said that can they refuse to accept promotion and stay where they are.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know I am like a broken record regarding VAR, but it has ruined the game.

Living near to Leicester I know a few Leicester City fans, and talking to them about this season, they all say more or less the same thing, which is that one good thing about not being in the Premier League is that when they score a goal, they know they can celebrate it without having to wait for VAR to ruin the moment. One chap even said that can they refuse to accept promotion and stay where they are.

Strange I didn't hear any of them not wanting promotion when they were 18 points clear... now they're looking like blowing it, it's became... we don't want to get promoted anyway.

English champions within the last 10 years happy to be in the 2nd tier to avoid VAR... Yeah right.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 41273

Remarkable when you read what he said after the Gomes one (here)

“It’s split opinion. Over the years the Laws of the Game have been simplified in terms of handball,” he said on Match Officials Mic'd Up. “Not that long ago, an arm above the shoulder would be deemed as automatically unnatural and therefore a handball will be given.

“But those words have been taken out and the only words that have replaced it really are around 'unnatural position', 'unjustifiable position', taking a risk by putting your arm in that position in the first place. Josh Smith, the referee here, felt that arm was so unnaturally positioned extremely above the head that it should be penalised.

Horsham Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I was hoping I wouldn't have had to add to this thread. However after Gary and Jeff both had their say about Saturdays VAR intervention, so I guess that's official and I'm going to add it to the list. This is the story so far this season....

Game 1. Man Utd keeper clattered into Sasa Kalajdzjic. VAR disallowed penalty which if scored, result would have been 1-1. (1 point lost due to VAR)

Game 6. Penalty given to Luton which should have been disallowed by VAR. Cost Wolves the win. Wolves could now be on 7 points instead of 4. (VAR cost us a total of 3 points so far this season)

Game 10. Penalty given to Newcastle (Schar left a leg dangling, making it look like Hwang tripped him and Anthony Taylor’s decision wasn’t overturned by VAR). Final score 2-2, but should have been 2-1, so 2 more points lost due to VAR. (VAR cost us a total of 5 points so far this season)

Game 11. Penalty given to Sheffield United in dying minute of the game for a tackle with minimal contact in our penalty area. Once again the poor decision by the referee wasn't corrected by VAR. Up to that moment we were level and on for a point. (VAR cost us a total of 6 points so far this season)

Game 13. First penalty conceded against Fulham. Fulham player dived and Semedo never touched him. VAR didn’t intervene. Game finished 3-2, instead of 2-2. So 1 point lost last night. (VAR cost us a total of 7 points so far this season

Game 31. Max Kilman's 99th minute equaliser would have made it 2-2 against West Ham, however VAR (Tim Robinson) had a look for how to disallow it and decided that Chirewa was obstructing Fabianski. Gary O'Neil and then everyone on Match of the Day disagreed with that and even Jeff Shi entered the debate. 1 point lost. (VAR now has cost us a total 8 points this season)

Horsham Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was hoping I wouldn't have had to add to this thread. However after Gary and Jeff both had their say about Saturdays VAR intervention, so I guess that's official and I'm going to add it to the list. This is the story so far this season....

Game 1. Man Utd keeper clattered into Sasa Kalajdzjic. VAR disallowed penalty which if scored, result would have been 1-1. (1 point lost due to VAR)

Game 6. Penalty given to Luton which should have been disallowed by VAR. Cost Wolves the win. Wolves could now be on 7 points instead of 4. (VAR cost us a total of 3 points so far this season)

Game 10. Penalty given to Newcastle (Schar left a leg dangling, making it look like Hwang tripped him and Anthony Taylor’s decision wasn’t overturned by VAR). Final score 2-2, but should have been 2-1, so 2 more points lost due to VAR. (VAR cost us a total of 5 points so far this season)

Game 11. Penalty given to Sheffield United in dying minute of the game for a tackle with minimal contact in our penalty area. Once again the poor decision by the referee wasn't corrected by VAR. Up to that moment we were level and on for a point. (VAR cost us a total of 6 points so far this season)

Game 13. First penalty conceded against Fulham. Fulham player dived and Semedo never touched him. VAR didn’t intervene. Game finished 3-2, instead of 2-2. So 1 point lost last night. (VAR cost us a total of 7 points so far this season

Game 31. Max Kilman's 99th minute equaliser would have made it 2-2 against West Ham, however VAR (Tim Robinson) had a look for how to disallow it and decided that Chirewa was obstructing Fabianski. Gary O'Neil and then everyone on Match of the Day disagreed with that and even Jeff Shi entered the debate. 1 point lost. (VAR now has cost us a total 8 points this season)
Also in Game 13....a clear headbutt on Kilkman with VAR not adjudging it to be a red card incident

Back
Top Bottom