Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR 2023-24

mac tíre

Reaction score
Totally agree. With the technology available, VAR should be there to get all the big decisions right without exception. The PGMOL’s application is the problem and their reluctance to correct on field mistake made by their mates. The absurd clear and obvious ruling is a crafty but convenient fudge factor to call the decision whichever way they see fit. As in the last 2 games, it’s either a penalty or not and clearly both decisions were wrong. To hide behind it’s not an obvious mistake makes a mockery of installing the technology.
Nail on the head!

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i struggling to think of even once where we got a decision that maybe we didnt deserve(in our favour) ..can anyone name one this season ?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has genuinely ruined football.
Said to my other half last night that I can't be bothered any more. I wasn't even angry. I switched off, admitted I was glad I wasn't there, and didn't feel anything really.

It's absolutely ruined football. The idea is good, the application diabolical. Arteta's rant was spot on.

Monswolf

Reaction score
The worrying thing for me about yesterday is I counted I think 4 times including the penalty where they were looking to give United a penalty.

If VAR can get involved looking to give a penalty then it should be more the capable of looking to over turn one and it does not it only seems to look if the ref has made a clear mistake, but yesterday and the Newcastle one were both clear mistakes and should of been overturned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy the amount of sycophancy that existed around Webb when he was appointed. Oh Howard will sort this out. Howard will do this. Howard will do that.

He's ****ing useless. An absolute fraud of a bloke who gets people on side by talking in a calm manner which conveys experience and sense, but in reality is complete crap.
He’s the sort of bloke who would ruin a pub quiz team by making them go with his answer because he says his guesses with certainty.

surreywolf

Reaction score
The worrying thing for me about yesterday is I counted I think 4 times including the penalty where they were looking to give United a penalty.

If VAR can get involved looking to give a penalty then it should be more the capable of looking to over turn one and it does not it only seems to look if the ref has made a clear mistake, but yesterday and the Newcastle one were both clear mistakes and should of been overturned

Not a good look for the competition if teams like Luton and sheff Utd don’t get many points is it? Let’s find a team who we can give them some points against….

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I don't really get the 'protect their mates' argument. If Gillett tells Taylor it's not a pen, or Salisbury tells Jones, or the VAR at Newcastle tells Atwell the ball might or might not have gone out, but it's a foul and offside, then nobody is talking about those decisions the next day.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honest and PGMOL (or any of their officials) are not two words that l expect to see in the same sentence.

Put it this way they are either a bunch of serial incompetents or bent as a corkscrew.
I don’t know which is worse or which I would prefer it to be.

WTID!

Reaction score
Not difficult and the South Bank already know the tune:

These decisions
Awarded Pens for no reason
The Refs think there f*kin brilliant
They're a load of s*ite

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Man U fans
By far the worst decision of the day was to award Sheff U a penalty against Wolves. Blatant dive yet again awarded despite a VAR review. That one is a disgrace in all honesty.

How is that Sheffield United penalty given?

WTF is going on?

Wolves have been on the end of the **** stick more often than most other clubs this season.

Spurs fans
Another shocking decision at sheff utd

Wolves are getting rode this season, so many poor decisions against them

Arsenal fans

Wolves ****ed over by VAR again
Liverpool fan
Got MOTD on and that Sheff Utd penalty is ridiculous. These officials are a joke.

You know it’s bad when other fans pick up on it

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A manager of the Sky 6 has gone to town. Now that Arteta has been very critical of VAR, maybe someone will take notice. Why can’t Webb and his mates see what a dogs dinner VAR is. It is proving unfit for purpose, something I have been saying for ages.

VAR has ruined the game, in my view it is as simple as that.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think we’re seen as expendable, ie been around a few seasons now and after Nuno / Mendes players have gone, are just another club

So rather than Luton / sheff Utd get drubbed out of sight and it look like the top 6-biased competition it is, they’ll gift them a few points against a team ‘that doesn’t matter’

Similarly they want to encourage *genuine* deep pockets / state backed teams who will add at top end, eg Newcastle

Then let’s not bother discussing the ‘traditional’ favoured clubs even if they’re currently **** eg Man U, they can have extra points against wolves to tide them over

It stinks. Unconscious bias running riot. We are expendable. I’m going to keep my powder dry until it actually impacts us, eg relegation, then **** me you are going to see the south bank protest…..
What you have described is conscious bias, not unconscious bias.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
A manager of the Sky 6 has gone to town. Now that Arteta has been very critical of VAR, maybe someone will take notice. Why can’t Webb and his mates see what a dogs dinner VAR is. It is proving unfit for purpose, something I have been saying for ages.

VAR has ruined the game, in my view it is as simple as that.
Arteta is right to moan and the more managers that criticise it the better
What you don’t need is smug ****s like Eddie Howe pretending that it’s a good decision

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
What you don’t need is smug ****s like Eddie Howe pretending that it’s a good decision
The Arsenal one shows so well what a farce it is to imagine that VAR can make decisions right.

You've got a line decision on the ball out of play, which should be simple. But they don't have a good camera angle.

Then you've got what is a pretty clear foul. But that's a subjective decision, so they stick with the onfield ref as although it's wrong, it's not a 'clear and obvious' error.

Then you've got the offside, where apparently there are too many bodies (two appears to be too many). The one thing that impressed me after the Liverpool one is when they showed the multiple synced angles so they could see the header with one and use a different one at the same instant for the lines. They showed the one where the frame of impact maybe isn't clear, but surely there's another angle? So an utter mess, hard to know if he's offside from what I've seen, impossible for the lino to be sure.

I feel like the first and last ones are difficult, but the reluctance to overrule the ref on the foul is the easily solved issue. Webb has decided that fewer overrules means it looks like the refs are better, but it is just leaving more bad decisions.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eddie Howe, like most "big club" managers, will pretend that it's a good decision until such time as one or more go against them. See Klippetty's hypocritical behaviour as a great example.

Hadn't heard Arteta complain before for example....

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Game has gone. VAR is another tool to beat teams with, and an excuse to play God so to speak in terms of results. Fans need to vote with their feet before any changes are made

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Does anyone have a figure on VAR overturn per game for this season and the same time last season?

I feel that Webb has decided that what people want is for VAR to only be used in the extreme cases, ones where a single full speed replay (that some people called for) will tell you it's wrong. If you have to go to slowmo from 4 different cameras, forget it, it's not an obvious error. So he's set the bar there and all 4 decisions that people moan about on here have just stuck with the onfield ref for this reason.

Reaction score
Not sure if this was already posted:

It only includes cases where VAR overturns the on-pitch decision, which is why we aren’t included. Only 3 other teams not on this list!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In real time I thought it was a pen, watching the replays when the match was on I thought it was a pen. Watching match of the day, it’s pretty clear the decision should have been overturned.

They seem to have a problem that no other sport has, rugby cricket have no issue in saying an official got a decision wrong until they sort that we’ll continue to get this rubbish.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really get the 'protect their mates' argument. If Gillett tells Taylor it's not a pen, or Salisbury tells Jones, or the VAR at Newcastle tells Atwell the ball might or might not have gone out, but it's a foul and offside, then nobody is talking about those decisions the next day.
They don't want a high statistic that shows a lot of on field descision are getting overturned by VAR......so we all start pointing the finger at the officials....."we went with the on field ref"...as apposed to we got the correct descision...is the problem.

If a referee is constantly having his decisions overturned he looks bad...that's where the protection of the mates comes from, so they can all appear competent cause statically descision are not getting overturned.....in a few weeks it's looks like nothing has happened but in reality our last 3 games, including, the villa penalty VAR would off had to make 3 correct descision......Howard webb said at the start of his tenure, he wanted the refs to make the calls....he didn't care whether their sessions were correct .....

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

It only includes cases where VAR overturns the on-pitch decision, which is why we aren’t included. Only 3 other teams not on this list!
Thanks, this does sort of answer my question from one of the other 27 VAR threads. Last season there were 116 overturns, this season 24 from (nearly) 11 games, so heading for 91. So a reduction, but not a massive one.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Doesn’t tell the complete story at all. Look at the Man Utd stats, which make no mention of the Onana incident where we should have gotten a penalty but neither the onfield or VAR ref gave it, yet even PGMOL acknowledged it should have been.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks, this does sort of answer my question from one of the other 27 VAR threads. Last season there were 116 overturns, this season 24 from (nearly) 11 games, so heading for 91. So a reduction, but not a massive one.

Yeah, and of those missing overturns, we already have how many that should’ve gone our way? 4 now?

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, and of those missing overturns, we already have how many that should’ve gone our way? 4 now?
So they stand to make a VAR overturn reduction of around 25 across the entire season.
Wolves have already been used for 4 of these, in only 11 games... how many more?!!!

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
It’s seems like referees and VAR officials have a vendetta against us. The more mistakes they make, the more we and the media complain - highlighting their poor performances. As a result, we can’t be their favourite team and by design or subconsciously, they will not do us any favours. The poor decisions against us can’t all be just coincidence.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s seems like referees and VAR officials have a vendetta against us. The more mistakes they make, the more we and the media complain - highlighting their poor performances. As a result, we can’t be their favourite team and by design or subconsciously, they will not do us any favours. The poor decisions against us can’t all be just coincidence.
We can no longer sit on our hands. We should not only complain big time but publicly do so. Maybe in the programme as well..
Howard Webb, who I expected better of, has failed big time. He probably issues our apologies in advance.

Back
Top Bottom