Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR 2023-24

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't it great to hear the on field ref explain his decision. Clear and concise so everyone understands why it was given
Been following the RWC. Ironically, whilst we've all been saying how much better rugby (and cricket) use video analysis it seems there is now a backlash against it given some recent controversial decisions. Eddie Jones wants to bin it, coaches claiming (with justification) a lack of consistency - sounds famliar ?

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been following the RWC. Ironically, whilst we've all been saying how much better rugby (and cricket) use video analysis it seems there is now a backlash against it given some recent controversial decisions. Eddie Jones wants to bin it, coaches claiming (with justification) a lack of consistency - sounds famliar ?
I don't really do rugby, but hasn't much of the controversy come about as a result of the bunker for yellow cards?
I read something about the rugby equivalent of a VAR official being given up to 8 minutes to look at a yellow card incident and determine whether or not it should be upgraded to a red.
I'd argue that if you look at any incident for that long, you'd find something to warrant a red, or downgrade to a yellow.
Rugby always seems to have got it pretty spot on in the past, but if you're gonna view something for that long, likely in slow motion and dissect it to the nth degree, then there likely will be subjective inconsistencies.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A huge chunk of this is over the current class action law suit against world rugby over concussions. They are terrified of the result and know they have to show they are dealing with it and taking it seriously, while trying to make a very dangerous game safer which is a near impossible task to do and police.

They have rushed a framework through for just as the tournament has started and sadly for England, while harsh it was by new definitions a red card. So while I am still angry about it and feel they are ruining the game, by the letter of the law it was correct.

The others, pure and simple are far less clear cut than the Curry one. The South African one, doesn’t show if it was first chest to chest, then head or not, so as they couldn’t be certain it wasn’t given as a red, correct although terribly frustrating for the fans.

For example the yellow for the horror challenge on Ford in the same game, yes there was head contact, he hit Ford in the chest first with the most significant amount of the force of the hit, so it is a yellow by new framework.

The issue is fans, players and coaches don’t fully understand the framework and the structured flowchart of how they reach the decision, not the officials….

Whereas in football it is the officials making the huge mistakes…..

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now let’s have a look at that decision just made at Newcastle. It’s a shocker. VAR needs ****ing off.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now let’s have a look at that decision just made at Newcastle. It’s a shocker. VAR needs ****ing off.
The worst part was that the ref was delighted to book the keeper for complaining.

Seriously the PGMOL are a ****ing joke. All they genuinely care about this season is timewasting and dissent.

I ****ing hate the sport this season, it’s just not enjoyable and the powers that be won’t stop until they’ve transformed football into the most sterile, drab spectacle possible.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they deliberated for what seemed like 5 mins watching Soccer Saturday over the Villa Penalty. If it takes that long there is way too much chat going on.
Meanwhile half of the audio is probably “BOOK THE MANAGER BOOK THE MANAGER BOOK THE MANAGER”

Horsham Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Keeping a record of this.
Game 1. Disallowed penalty which if scored result would have been 1-1. Wolves could now be on 1 point instead of 0.
Game 6. Penalty given to Luton which should have been disallowed by VAR. Cost Wolves the win. Wolves could now be on 7 points instead of 4.

Horsham Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Game 1. Disallowed penalty which if scored result would have been 1-1. Wolves could now be on 1 point instead of 0.
Game 6. Penalty given to Luton which should have been disallowed by VAR. Cost Wolves the win. Wolves could now be on 7 points instead of 4

Game 10. Penalty given to Newcastle (Schar left a leg dangling, making it look like Heang tripped him and Anthony Taylor’s decision wasn’t overturned by VAR). Final score 2-2, but should have been 2-1, so 2 more points lost due to VAR. (cost us a total of 5 points so far this season).

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR analyses every damn offside decision to the absolute mm to try to get things right, but we have this stupid “not a clear and obvious error” crap to protect referees elsewhere. It’s not fit for purpose.
Just use the bloody technology to get the decisions right.

Kcrusader

Groupie
Reaction score
The younger generation will come to accept these incorrect decisions as the ‘norm’ until the ‘older fan’ is no longer and football becomes more about entertainment for global audiences just like WWE.

When you see former Newcastle players saying it wasn’t a pen and even the vast majority of Newcastle fans, it’s outright match fixing IMO.

Anyone can see yesterdays penalty wasn’t so, the same with Luton A and the penalty that never was at OT. Sad state of affairs - more to come this season no doubt!

Nevertheless a cracking atmosphere and we never gave up. Up the babbies! Hope for Netos speedy recovery.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It took over 5 minutes for the clowns at Fawlty Towers to disallow a Burnley ‘goal‘ at Bournemouth. The fans were singing ‚‘It‘s an embarrassment‘.

I repeat what I have said many times, VAR is not fit for purpose. Get rid of it. It is ruining the game.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It took over 5 minutes for the clowns at Fawlty Towers to disallow a Burnley ‘goal‘ at Bournemouth. The fans were singing ‚‘It‘s an embarrassment‘.

I repeat what I have said many times, VAR is not fit for purpose. Get rid of it. It is ruining the game.
I get your point but matches are now televised from every possible angle meaning there will be more contentious decisions without VAR. It’s the people operating it that need binning.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get your point but matches are now televised from every possible angle meaning there will be more contentious decisions without VAR. It’s the people operating it that need binning.

Unfortunately you are right. VAR came in precisely because of the increased number of games being televised, and the increased scrutiny from replays with multiple angles. I hate the way it’s being run in this country, but that’s down to the biased, corrupt or incompetent fools in charge.

Burnley review took 5 mins, and in full view of the watching Sky pundits who have a feed, those in VAR applied incorrect lines and argued with each other. This is offside, what should be the simplest and least arguable of all VAR decisions, since there is little judgement involved. If they can apply incorrect lines for that and argue, and misunderstand what’s going on at the game in the Liverpool game which caused the furore, then how can we trust their competence to review any decisions?

It’s a complete and utter farce, and it’s bringing the game into disrepute. It’s high time there was an investigation into this by independent experts, to determine whether it’s incompetence, bias or something even worse.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately you are right. VAR came in precisely because of the increased number of games being televised, and the increased scrutiny from replays with multiple angles. I hate the way it’s being run in this country, but that’s down to the biased, corrupt or incompetent fools in charge.

Burnley review took 5 mins, and in full view of the watching Sky pundits who have a feed, those in VAR applied incorrect lines and argued with each other. This is offside, what should be the simplest and least arguable of all VAR decisions, since there is little judgement involved. If they can apply incorrect lines for that and argue, and misunderstand what’s going on at the game in the Liverpool game which caused the furore, then how can we trust their competence to review any decisions?

It’s a complete and utter farce, and it’s bringing the game into disrepute. It’s high time there was an investigation into this by independent experts, to determine whether it’s incompetence, bias or something even worse.
We can’t :(.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue I have with the VAR pen on Saturday and you’ll need to bear with me on this, is I get the ‘clear and obvious’ error. I don’t blame the ref giving the penalty in real time. Even after the numerous re-runs, you could argue that yes, the ref may or may not have given it, and therefore VAR couldn’t over-rule it.
However, my issue is with the obviousness of the foul simulation by Schar. THAT was missed by the on-field ref, and I know it opens another can of worms, but he should have been booked. Had that been the case, the penalty shouldn’t have been awarded. So, the penalty may not have been ‘clear and obvious’ error, but missing the simulation most certainly was.

VAR officials take other factors into consideration when it’s goals or ruling out penalties, but didn’t consider simulation as a different offence. Baffling.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SSN " Ref Watch " Wolves v Newcastle... Sue Smith Steven Warnock and Dermot Gallagher all say NO PENALTY!!

VAR should have advised ref to go to screen for a clear and obvious error!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
SSN " Ref Watch " Wolves v Newcastle... Sue Smith Steven Warnock and Dermot Gallagher all say NO PENALTY!!

VAR should have advised ref to go to screen for a clear and obvious error!!
I'll try my question again on here, no retrospective punishment now for simulation because they assumed the VAR would spot it, but when the VAR doesn't spot it either nothing happens. Is that right? I mean he rolled round like he'd been whacked on the achilles when he hadn't actually been touched....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Score the penalty against United, and Luton/Newcastle don't get the pens agaisnt us - that means we should be +5 points and sitting joint 6th with Newcastle and Brighton on 17 points.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I know he had a poor game on Saturday but generally Anthony Taylor is one of the better referees in the league (not saying much I know!). Even he must be watching the highlights back and thinking “I wish they’d sent me to the screen”.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he had a poor game on Saturday but generally Anthony Taylor is one of the better referees in the league (not saying much I know!). Even he must be watching the highlights back and thinking “I wish they’d sent me to the screen”.
I doubt it Jade
When he was told by VAR they agreed with his on field decision he pointed to the penalty spot with a smile on his face, what a tool!

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be in 8th on 17 points level with Brighton, but due to 3 awful decisions we are 12th on 12 points.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True....but that doesn't explain how he didn't book Trippier for the foul on Cunha....or let Dan Burn make 7 fouls without getting booked....he actually booked him after the 7th foul for sarcastically clapping him, not the actual foul...

If he is the best , then we have no hope....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
This is how I felt about it when I got home. Gillett doesn't want to overrule Taylor, but in not doing so he's just hung him out to dry, if they just had a bit more of 'go have another look, see what you think'. In the time it took Gillett to get it wrong Taylor could easily have had another look and just admitted he got it wrong (which I'm sure he would have).

Well that or just bloody bin it!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, that's O'Neil, Shearer, Wright, Howe, Smith, Warnock, Ferdinand, Wright-Phillips and me. All luminaries of the game who think no penalty. Other than Anthony Taylor and that idiot VAR, Gillett; who thinks it was a peno?

Take your time!

Hazza

Reaction score
Score the penalty against United, and Luton/Newcastle don't get the pens agaisnt us - that means we should be +5 points and sitting joint 6th with Newcastle and Brighton on 17 points.
It’s not just that, it’s the points the other teams wouldn’t have, United -2, Luton -1 and Newcastle -1.

We’d actually be above Newcastle

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll try my question again on here, no retrospective punishment now for simulation because they assumed the VAR would spot it, but when the VAR doesn't spot it either nothing happens. Is that right? I mean he rolled round like he'd been whacked on the achilles when he hadn't actually been touched....

I presume that because the penalty was given, it meant that it wouldn’t be deemed as simulation, even though it shouldn’t have been a penalty and the player dived. This is what VAR has done to the game.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not just that, it’s the points the other teams wouldn’t have, United -2, Luton -1 and Newcastle -1.

We’d actually be above Newcastle

Good point!

Back
Top Bottom