Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Using my Crystal Ball . . .

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
After reading lots of threads about rebuilding, income generating, what others have done, etc, etc, etc, then spending a few hours most nights just letting my brain cell wander where it wants I've come up with what I think will happen in the future, I'm not saying I like what I envisage - actually I dislike it immensely - but I can see many reasons for it happening with very few against, so here I go . . .

We will build a new stadium near i54 but to the North of the motorway.

Against - traditional fans, like me, will hate the idea. Businesses in the City Centre will hate it. Wolverhampton Council will hate it.

For - New stadium just like Man City, Arsenal, etc.
No food or drink outlets locally so a new fan village with income going to the club.
Parking in the club's car parks on site with income going to the club.
Site is in South Staffs so Wolverhampton Council could not object to our leaving Molineux.
South Staffs would welcome us with open arms (& possibly grants, etc) due to the huge income it would provide them.
Fans would get there earlier, spending money directly with the Wolves at their bars, food outlets, maybe pre/post match payed for as well as free entertainment i.e. former players talks at a tenner a head plus drinks food, pre match concert, etc.
Easier played for naming rights so it wouldn't have to be the "Thomas Cook Molineux Stadium" it would miss the M word out.

So what do you think, can anyone see any more "for" or "against" thought, not so much from the fans points of view but from a club owners point of view

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a few have already said, that would be me finished !
Brighton loved it as they had no real home for ten years but for Wolves to leave Wolverhampton, whats the point ! may as well rename to Coven Wanderers. **** idea.
See above :eek::rolleyes:

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
My crystal ball tells me that, very shortly, there will be outraged Molineux Mixers screaming blue murder, threatening to boycott Wolves as though this scenario has happened and is cast in stone. :D
That was where my thoughts went to too MRL, so I'm hunkered down in my bunker, hard hat on . . .:rolleyes:

So Dudley you don't think the owners of a football club will be looking to get more income streams then ? Have you seen Man City's stadium - huge car park, fan village, middle of no-where?

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is.........If Wolves re-located the attendance levels wouldn't be affected at all. Obviously there are a few on here who would say they would cancel their season ticket, but in the wider world the fans would just take it on board. I'm not saying I want it to happen, but I am open to whatever plans the owners have.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't take the black countries finest club out of the black country let alone to a car park in Stafford.
Yes I know the i54 is not technically in Stafford but to me it might as well be.
Trolled and bitten!!

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After reading lots of threads about rebuilding, income generating, what others have done, etc, etc, etc, then spending a few hours most nights just letting my brain cell wander where it wants I've come up with what I think will happen in the future, I'm not saying I like what I envisage - actually I dislike it immensely - but I can see many reasons for it happening with very few against, so here I go . . .

Against - traditional fans, like me, will hate the idea. Businesses in the City Centre will hate it. Wolverhampton Council will hate it.

No food or drink outlets locally so a new fan village with income going to the club.
Site is in South Staffs so Wolverhampton Council could not object to our leaving Molineux.
South Staffs would welcome us with open arms (& possibly grants, etc) due to the huge income it would provide them.
Fans would get there earlier, spending money directly with the Wolves at their bars, food outlets, maybe pre/post match payed for as well as free entertainment i.e. former players talks at a tenner a head plus drinks food, pre match concert, etc.
Easier played for naming rights so it wouldn't have to be the "Thomas Cook Molineux Stadium" it would miss the M word out.

So what do you think, can anyone see any more "for" or "against" thought, not so much from the fans points of view but from a club owners point of view

No !

U

Ulfhednar

No I disagree, cuz I have a crystal ball in my head. Since early 2016 I've had a kind of abstract image in the back of my mind of Wolverhampton with a brilliant light coming out of it, with a feeling that Wolves were going to lead Wolverhampton into a good future. I think that means we're staying in the City Centre and will lead a regeneration, not move out of town.

D

Deleted member TW5162

Can’t see it happening in the next 5 years personally. IF and its a massive IF we retained our Premiership status for 6-7 years AND we were pushing the top 6 AND we somehow got into Europe then, maybe just maybe in 8-10 years time I could see something like this happening. Maybe.

K

kaohsiungwolf

I can’t see the council ever allowing it in a million years, I don’t know what the local plan says in regards policy and Molineux but I’d imagine it’d be pretty protected as a sporting use. They (or South Staffs) would also have to approve a new ground on the green belt land on the M54.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could walk if it were to be by the i54.But sorry it would be the end for me also.We Dow need to move.END OF .:mad:

After all the good work the club have done in reconnecting with the fans since Fosun took over and Laurie came in, I don't think they'd be that stupid to do ruin it all by moving us to outside the city centre.

The ONLY way it would work would be if the club offered free season tickets to those who have had them for x amount of time, or something along those lines, but even still, it would go down like a lead balloon.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be the end for me too. Not that I would want it to be but travelling from the North West to have to get off at Penkridge or Wolves then catch a bus to the area of the ground just does not appeal. It would mean I may as well drive every game. I drive to a few now but couldn't ever see me driving to them all and never having a beer on matchdays. **** that.

D

Deleted member 4257

No need to relocate. The current site is more than big enough, could expand behind the Steve Bull and that area where the wanderer was could easily be a fan park, or even close the waterloo rd for 2 hours eitherside of kick off and pack it out with pop up bars etc, that live band at etihad was weird sort of worked.

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was where my thoughts went to too MRL, so I'm hunkered down in my bunker, hard hat on . . .:rolleyes:

So Dudley you don't think the owners of a football club will be looking to get more income streams then ? Have you seen Man City's stadium - huge car park, fan village, middle of no-where?
Cookey, I am sure that our new owners WILL be trying to maximise income but the ground and its location is part of the allure surely and the Ethihad is still in Manchester, last time I went anyway.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Can't see us leaving Molineux in the near future. At present it's fine, and there's the potential to expand further (as shown on Morgan's original plans). And don't forget, we're talking about Fosun here. They won't be thinking "expand Molineux OR move site", they'll be thinking "expand Molineux AND THEN (if needed) move site". Money is no object to them.

cowshed

Reaction score

It might be the middle of no where but its still in Manchester

Dragonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Fortunately/unfortunately depending on your point of view the i54 model would be very logical from a business point of view. There is plenty of available land there, great access for supporters (and entertainment events). It fits the American model

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
All interesting replies - thanks :)

Ignoring those replies that fall into the "I wouldn't like it" category - which I'm in too!

Yes Etihad IS still in Manchester, but look round the area and how many bars, restaurants, cafes, pubs, alternative places to park there are - basically, not a lot, the whole area is aimed at funds going into the club.

"Wolverhampton Council wouldn't allow it" all WCC can insist on is Molineux is kept as a sporting venue, as per the lease & what the deeds say - it will be, the Mol can be used for sport, we could even use it for the second team, Wolves ladies, Sporting Khalsa, whatever, etc.

"South Staffs won't allow building on green belt" - have you seen the industrial sites they are trying to pass? The way local government finances are going with councils soon to be allowed to keep their own business rates, you really think that?

"Oh no not this again" - no this isn't a bigger stadium thread it's a funding stream thread, I've only been on here a year or so, as lurker and poster and I can't remember another, sorry if I missed them all.

"Its out of the borough" - just, yes - I know it's not comparable but Grimsby's ground is in Cleethorps :confused:

"We can expand where we are" - true, but expanding there increase seats, but hardly increases any other revenue streams, most supporters will still use non-corporate-Wolves drinking, eating, parking facilities.

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm trying to wind them - I'm not - but from a purely business point of view I can still see this being in the front of any business minded owners thoughts, and although I love Fosun to bits, they aren't here for sporting reasons, they are business people, with the way forward, especially with FFP, is to get funding streams up.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've already been through this, except this time a Crystal Ball is involved.
Bring Molineux back to it's home in Staffordshire ;)

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They've already said they plan to expand the current stadium. They wouldn't do this if they were going to move in the next 10 years, it's poor planning,

People forget that citeh's stadium was built originally for the common wealth games and then given to them (I believe) as part of the legacy ...

As said previously you can expand molinuex to around 42k, we may be selling out this year because we keep winning but if we end up a mid table prem side not challenging for Europe we won't as is the trend accross the country.

Non-starter and pointless speculation for me from the OP ... sorry.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We will not be moving. 100pc no way

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It’s not in the middle of nowhere though is it?
You can walk back into the Center within 20 minutes and haven’t they already or looking into extending the tram line to there?

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This ball needs dropping from a great height !

M

MonkeySpanner

I don't think Fosun would leave Molineux, theres plenty of space to expand the ground where it is.

W

WasStefan

i54? **** OFF

W

WasStefan

People are really underestimating how many fans Wolves would lose if this happened. I mean the south bank is full of poor knuckle dragging thugs from Bilston. You'd lose the majority of us instantly.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t quite get where this i54 obsession has come from. It’s as if Wolves fans think it’s the only place on the earth where we could build a new stadium.

I would be amazed if we moved out of town, but I wouldn’t be amazed if we moved somewhere else within the city centre. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us do something like Tottenham are or just rebuild new stands. I think anything is possible but I don’t think they will move it to the middle of nowhere.

Kind of on topic but I flew over the new Los Angeles stadium being built on the LAX approach on Friday. It’s absolutely massive. That’s what Fosun need to build us, an airport! :D

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t quite get where this i54 obsession has come from. It’s as if Wolves fans think it’s the only place on the earth where we could build a new stadium.

I would be amazed if we moved out of town, but I wouldn’t be amazed if we moved somewhere else within the city centre. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us do something like Tottenham are or just rebuild new stands. I think anything is possible but I don’t think they will move it to the middle of nowhere.

Kind of on topic but I flew over the new Los Angeles stadium being built on the LAX approach on Friday. It’s absolutely massive. That’s what Fosun need to build us, an airport! :D
We've already got one. You just need to extend the runway at Halfpenny Green a bit

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Anyone at the club or in Fosun who seriously suggests this as an idea, can print it out in Comic Sans 18pt, roll it up into a ball, and shove it where the sun does not grace.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves will only ever redevelop Molineux.

55,000 sears in the near future with fireworks on the roofs, in the city and the opposing fans City every time we score.

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
I genuinely don't think they'll move from Molineux. They just invested millions in state of the art playing surface and the north bank is 5 years old and a great example of how sharp the other stands can be once rebuilt.

Wolves will potentially play a season or two sharing grounds with another club, and Molineux will reopen with a giant single tier South Bank connected to the Steve Bull and Stand Cullis Stands. There will be so many fireworks that kickoffs will be delayed by 15 minutes while the smoke clears, and everyone will rejoice as we celebrate our third straight Champions League title.

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All interesting replies - thanks :)

Ignoring those replies that fall into the "I wouldn't like it" category - which I'm in too!

Yes Etihad IS still in Manchester, but look round the area and how many bars, restaurants, cafes, pubs, alternative places to park there are - basically, not a lot, the whole area is aimed at funds going into the club.

"Wolverhampton Council wouldn't allow it" all WCC can insist on is Molineux is kept as a sporting venue, as per the lease & what the deeds say - it will be, the Mol can be used for sport, we could even use it for the second team, Wolves ladies, Sporting Khalsa, whatever, etc.

"South Staffs won't allow building on green belt" - have you seen the industrial sites they are trying to pass? The way local government finances are going with councils soon to be allowed to keep their own business rates, you really think that?

"Oh no not this again" - no this isn't a bigger stadium thread it's a funding stream thread, I've only been on here a year or so, as lurker and poster and I can't remember another, sorry if I missed them all.

"Its out of the borough" - just, yes - I know it's not comparable but Grimsby's ground is in Cleethorps :confused:
and I don't think West Ham are strictly within their borough, or even the right side of the Thames, Arsenal aren't in Woolich, or near Highbury, and I don't see it decimating their crowds.

"We can expand where we are" - true, but expanding there increase seats, but hardly increases any other revenue streams, most supporters will still use non-corporate-Wolves drinking, eating, parking facilities.

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm trying to wind them - I'm not - but from a purely business point of view I can still see this being in the front of any business minded owners thoughts, and although I love Fosun to bits, they aren't here for sporting reasons, they are business people, with the way forward, especially with FFP, is to get funding streams up.
Sorry for being pedantic but Arsenal are very near Highbury, we drank in the closest pub to the emirates when we lost 5-0 to the **** IN 2003 Its only about three streets away ! They moved from Woolwich over 100 years ago (much to Spurs disgust) so you probably wouldn't have seen it affect their crowds.
West Ham have moved 2.7 miles from Boleyn into Stratford, still within the borough of Newham, (****ing Orient off in the process) , completely on the right side of the Thames (are you confusing them with Millwall ?)

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Sorry for being pedantic but Arsenal are very near Highbury, we drank in the closest pub to the emirates when we lost 5-0 to the **** IN 2003 Its only about three streets away ! They moved from Woolwich over 100 years ago (much to Spurs disgust) so you probably wouldn't have seen it affect their crowds.
West Ham have moved 2.7 miles from Boleyn into Stratford, still within the borough of Newham, (****ing Orient off in the process) , completely on the right side of the Thames (are you confusing them with Millwall ?)
Right on both accounts DW, gawd knows where my brain cell got those two from :worried: thanks for pointing them out and showing a genuine interest in my thought on the future, my post is now amended.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Molineux is HOME - end of story. As has been said, we could expand to say 42,000 there which would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom