Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Update from Matt Hobbs

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's true we're shopping in the £8-15m range, I'd like to think each sale would facilitate at least one new signing right away. Outside of Jonny and Raul, I can't think of a player I would want to sell for less than £8m. Kilman and Ruben could possibly generate £60m between them, which would free up as many as four new signings.
That raises an interesting question.. I would like to see the average hit rate in our 30mill+ signings compared to 2Xing our average 15mill signings.. I expect we have done way way better from our lower cost signings.

Maybe that’s our new approach.. 2 x 15mill or 3 x 10mill signings are far more likely to have at least one hit the mark and add value than 1 x 30mill.

D

Deleted member (smith)

That raises an interesting question.. I would like to see the average hit rate in our 30mill+ signings compared to 2Xing our average 15mill signings.. I expect we have done way way better from our lower cost signings.

Maybe that’s our new approach.. 2 x 15mill or 3 x 10mill signings are far more likely to have at least one hit the mark and add value than 1 x 30mill.
Maybe an enthusiast will list out top ten expensive signings and their current value…..you certainly have a point that despite connections our transfer business leaves a lot to be desired?

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or when you're selling a house, do you point out to the buyer all the creaky floorboards and which taps leak without being asked.
What an odd comparison. You clearly missed the point.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i expect the following to leave:

Sa
Podence
Jimenez
Costa
Collins (possibly)
Neves (probably)
Moutinho
Jonny
Adama (probably)
Ait Nouri

and maybe also Silva, Neto and Nunes

that is a heck of a churn
And if that is what JL wants to get his own team so be it.

Those guys almost got us relegated.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t quite get my head around how the situation changed so significantly in such a short period of time (to the extent that our new manager was caught unaware)?

Surely, the club knew what was going to be spent in January and how that would affect future budget due to FFP?

How could this not have been foreseen and made clear to JL?

Smacks of poor control / management at the top of our club. All this talk of a ‘long term project’ / ‘shared vision’ rings hollow to me if we aren’t even capable of short to medium term financial planning / budget control.

Sort it out Jeff.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t quite get my head around how the situation changed so significantly in such a short period of time (to the extent that our new manager was caught unaware)?

Surely, the club knew what was going to be spent in January and how that would affect future budget due to FFP?

Smacks of poor control / management at the top of our club. All this talk of a ‘long term project’ / ‘shared vision’ rings hollow to me if we aren’t even capable of short to medium term financial planning / budget control.

Sort it out Jeff.

As others have commented. Consider where we’d have been had Jeff said to Julen in November, we can spend well in January, but we’ll have to recoup it all in the summer, and Julen had said, sorry no thanks. Perhaps then we’d have been relegated with a manager like Beale instead? You’d likely be on here now complaining about Jeff not saying whatever it took to secure Julen and stop us getting relegated, with a similar quip!

Fact is that there are all sorts of reasons for why Julen may have had a different impression of the summer budget. Ranging from Jeff saying what he needed to secure him (as above) to a simple misunderstanding, to Julen asking the club to spend more in January than planned, such as to secure Cunha. None of us know what was said between Shi, Hobbs and Lopetegui last year. We can all speculate, and draw our own conclusions.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I wonder whether Lopetegui was promised a bit of money in the summer from the sales of Nunes and Guedes, neither of which look likely now? That could change things, if they’d hoped to pick up maybe £60m for them two?

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have commented. Consider where we’d have been had Jeff said to Julen in November, we can spend well in January, but we’ll have to recoup it all in the summer, and Julen had said, sorry no thanks. Perhaps then we’d have been relegated with a manager like Beale instead? You’d likely be on here now complaining about Jeff not saying whatever it took to secure Julen and stop us getting relegated, with a similar quip!

Fact is that there are all sorts of reasons for why Julen may have had a different impression of the summer budget. Ranging from Jeff saying what he needed to secure him (as above) to a simple misunderstanding, to Julen asking the club to spend more in January than planned, such as to secure Cunha. None of us know what was said between Shi, Hobbs and Lopetegui last year. We can all speculate, and draw our own conclusions.
Would I have been disgruntled if we’d have been relegated ... not half!

Does that stop me from being sceptical about the quality and integrity of our long term project plan / shared vision / financial management? Absolutely not.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to know what happened with RAN. Exactly the type of player we should be going after. A full back with an attacking mindset.
He's been watching Semedo too much.
Both slow to get back.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sort it out Jeff.
So many poor purchases since Nuno left ,and woeful mismanagement .
I wonder if JL realised how bad the value of our existing players were.
If we could sell Neves , Alt Nouri , Podence , Silva, Guedes , Semedo and Sa for £ 160 million fine, but they have been so badly managed we probably wont get half of that. He may not have worked that out.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to know what happened with RAN. Exactly the type of player we should be going after. A full back with an attacking mindset.
That’s what it says on the tin, but actually watching RAN, when playing he does often turn back on himself, it can be quite odd as he works the situation to get the opportunity to attack an isolated fullback, but then doesn’t actually back himself 1v 1.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting Sanderson was mentioned by Hobbs. Maybe Lopetegui is going to give him a chance in pre season?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When JL first arrived he was arguably our best player for his first few games in charge and then it all unravelled.
From the time JL publicly announced that RAN’s future was at left back, pretty much.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sort it out Jeff.
How do you work that one out? You can have all the best planning in the world but if the head coach turns out to be as talented as an earthworm, you’re left with fighting fires.
Everyone is quick to criticise Jeff but he sacked Bruno before the WC, played the situation with JL with patience and not a short amount of class re:his poorly father, and then got Fosun to agree to a £100m emergency spend.
Whatever the reason for the misunderstanding around funds being available this summer, that is all it appears to be, a misunderstanding.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you work that one out? You can have all the best planning in the world but if the head coach turns out to be as talented as an earthworm, you’re left with fighting fires.
Everyone is quick to criticise Jeff but he sacked Bruno before the WC, played the situation with JL with patience and not a short amount of class re:his poorly father, and then got Fosun to agree to a £100m emergency spend.
Whatever the reason for the misunderstanding around funds being available this summer, that is all it appears to be, a misunderstanding.
Bruno should have been sacked in the summer and Jeff got very very lucky that Julen changed his mind.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno should have been sacked in the summer and Jeff got very very lucky that Julen changed his mind.
Lol…is hindsight your superpower?
Along with many others, you seem fixed in the position that everything negative that happens at Wolves is Jeff’s fault, and successes never are.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Most on here wanted Bruno gone in the summer as it was clear he wasn’t up to the job.
I don't think this thread really supports that claim. A lot of people thought he just needed backing

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think this thread really supports that claim. A lot of people thought he just needed backing

Never look back, it's always embarrassing!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t disagree that Shi gets some unwarranted abuse but let’s not claim the timing of the sacking is to his credit as he clearly didn’t plan to do it when he did and the plan to wait for Sevilla to sack JL then swoop in was never a good one. I firmly believe if it weren’t for the away end turning so strongly at West Ham he would’ve lasted much longer

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s fairly simple really...

Either the club’s management team aren’t capable of managing our finances / FFP properly or they didn’t act with integrity when appointing JL. Maybe even both. Either way it’s no way to run a club.

There are far worse owners out there than Fosun. But come on, the last few years has seen a scattergun approach at best.

EG - Why has our player recruitment been so poor? Cos Jeff thought he could run the show single handed.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t someone suggest they had heard rumours of a personal issue behind the scenes that had affected him, and that JL liked him?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon WWFC has halved in value since our Europa league cup semi. That is the essence of our FFP situation.
Why did it half in value ? The promotion of Sellars and the employment Lage .
IMO we now have the right men in place - but cant give them that lost money it's gone .
It may be this was all at the request of Fosun. So Shi gets off and starts to use his acquired knowledge .
If Shi stays good luck to him but he must assert some influence over the board.

Back
Top Bottom