Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Unai Emery

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the standout as far as possible appointments go.

* experienced in the league
* managed top class players
* tactically astute

Did a superb job at Sevilla, winning the Europa League three seasons in a row. Went to PSG and won the quadruple. Won the Europa League at Villarreal, and got to the Champions League semi-final beating Juve and Bayern along the way despite this being his team:

1664721351622.png

Great record in knock-out competitions which are realistically our best way into Europe, and winning things will attract better players.

Many will point to his time at Arsenal, but he got them to a Europa League final and had them on a 22 game unbeaten run. He was 5th in his first season, improving on Wenger's 6th, and was 8th when the left, which is where they finished under Arteta (and again next season, and he's a top coach). That side was a mixture of terrible players like Rob Holding and ********s like Aubameyang and Ozil, so was always up against it there and probably just needed more time there.

Last edited:

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have way more upside than Villarreal long-term.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yes , good call . always came across well at arsenal

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mentioned him yesterday, he'd be excellent, just can't see him leaving Villareal for us. He's proven himself again, I think he'll wait till a big job pops up.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one major argument for not sacking Bruno Lage would have been who will come, that still stands now for me.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be upset at that. He was undone at Arsenal by boardroom politics.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying I agree or disagree with the view, but why would Emery by unrealistic and Lopetegui be realistic?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another one in the long shot category, but you don't get if you don't ask!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying I agree or disagree with the view, but why would Emery by unrealistic and Lopetegui be realistic?
One has just been sacked, a Mendes client (?), and courted by the club for a very long time. Emery is coming off an unbelievable year at Villareal getting them to the CL semi-finals, a ridiculous overachievement for a club that's smaller than us.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point. I suppose I just see Emery as a bigger name, which is probably incorrect looking back through their careers. He turned down Newcastle and I'd say they're a huge lure at the moment. Makes me think he'd do the same with us

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One has just been sacked, a Mendes client (?), and courted by the club for a very long time. Emery is coming off an unbelievable year at Villareal getting them to the CL semi-finals, a ridiculous overachievement for a club that's smaller than us.

Fair point but you're right that they are smaller than us. So why wouldn't he come to us? I think we're a perfect size club for him, bigger than his current one with the ability to spend.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point but you're right that they are smaller than us. So why wouldn't he come to us? I think we're a perfect size club for him, bigger than his current one with the ability to spend.
Possible. Rumours that Villa have enquired for Poch and Emery if Gerrard doesn't work out, so our timing probably couldn't be any better right now, assuming we can convince one of these top managers of the project. The Mendes factor could certainly work for/against us in that regard, some managers would be against it, some wouldn't care, depending on how involved they want to be outside of just coaching.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly if not him someone like him.
Zenga , Nuno and Bruno were all gambles . One paid off.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Would be a great appointment but I can’t see it

molinew

Reaction score
His record in cup competitions would also be worth factoring in. A good domestic cup run is likely to be an easier route for smaller sides to qualify for Europe than a slog in the league for a full season

Reactions: Ian

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was my feeling too……..until I realized what do we have to lose?

I made this point before, but look at Bielsa's record prior to his sacking at Leeds. They were getting hammered every week. It could be way, way worse than this.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His record in cup competitions would also be worth factoring in. A good domestic cup run is likely to be an easier route for smaller sides to qualify for Europe than a slog in the league for a full season

Definitely, just look at that side he got the CL semi-final with. Is that really much better than our current side. Clearly a very good knock-out manager - winning something like the Carabao Cup could well be the key to keeping guys like Neves.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be excellent but doubt he leaves for us
For me Jardem would be great but still feel it will be Lopetgui or possibly Martens

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a fantastic Coach. Just can’t see him leaving Villarreal for us.

Shame as he would bring us many ‘good ebenings’.
Please, please, please, if we go for another foreign manager please ensure that what they are saying is understandable. I always found Lage's press conferences so difficult to make out what he was saying. Foreign managers could take a lesson out of Nuno's English, which was great. I pray we don't go for Bielsa!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom