Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Uk Football Grounds you can see from Motorways

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I travelled down the M6 yesterday, I was thinking, what grounds can you see from the Motorways?
Coventry - Ricoh
Villa - Veela Park
Walsall - Bescot Market storage
Dont count the Boggies as
a) cant see it clearly from M5
b) cant class them as a football team really.

So what grounds can you see clearly from UK Motorways?

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Salford Rugby League ground ( I know it's not Football but wanted to extend the thread).

rubyloo

Reaction score
You could see the Rennes stadium when you were driving from the ferry across to the Brittany coast (in the olden days when fun was allowed)

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Celtic Park, Vicarage Road, WHL ( North Circular)

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Done many journeys through France, always seem to miss the grounds lol.
Actually we might have seen Rennes enroute to Brittany/Vendeé

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Motherwell, M74
Vauxhall Motors, M53

Last edited:

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd need to go out in the car to confirm my suspicions but I think you can see St James’ Park, Newcastle, from the Tyne Bridge A167(M), and possibly even from the Jesmond end of the A1058(M) which is certainly the more tenuous motorway.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

You can see the Whorethorns and St Andrews from the M5 and M6 respectively.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't think that was visible from motorway. Just a dual carriageway through Bristol. I could be wrong.
The motorway was visible from the away end whilst we were beating them 5-1 in 1976! Cars were slowing down to look into the stadium I recall.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Don't think that was visible from motorway. Just a dual carriageway through Bristol. I could be wrong.
M32 I think, 2 Lane motorway. Remember spending a lonely evening there in the mid 80's, did it have a running track? Awful place and the game matched perfectly.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The motorway was visible from the away end whilst we were beating them 5-1 in 1976! Cars were slowing down to look into the stadium I recall.

M32 I think, 2 Lane motorway. Remember spending a lonely evening there in the mid 80's, did it have a running track? Awful place and the game matched perfectly.
Apologies, I've done my research and indeed the M32 did go right past the ground. That stretch of the motorway opened around 1975.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see St James Park exeter off M5
Seeing that big terrace makes me envious

Gedwolf

Reaction score
Apologies, I've done my research and indeed the M32 did go right past the ground. That stretch of the motorway opened around 1975.
they have now built an IKEA on the old ground

cowshed

Reaction score
yes the M 5 is along way from there, but maybe Ashton Gate is visible

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There used to be an elevated motorway behind the open away end at Eastville which allowed drivers to look right into the ground whilst driving (not very safely)! There were over 20,000 when I saw us there but subsequent fires made the place pretty derelict by the time it was eventually closed and was just used for greyhound racing after Rovers moved to Bath.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Old Trafford from Barton Bridge on the M60, used to be the M63 before the M60 Greater Manchester Orbital was completed.
I recall seeing the old floodlights in the distance towards Manchester, so I guess with the new stands being bigger, you can still see OT from there?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broadwood stadium, home of Clyde FC can be seen from the M80.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must have had several buildings go up since I went to school in Reading, as you could definitely see it from the M4 about 15 years ago.

Yes they have, Huawei's UK headquarters is the building you would see now from the motorway and there is the Tesco distrubution centre too.

I always go in to Reading from Basingstoke and occasionally from Theale. I have never seen the stadium from the motorway, however maybe you can and I am not picking it up off the motorway.

Attachments

• huawei-head-office-uk-green-park-reading-berkshire-england-uk-gb-K0RR16.jpg
    huawei-head-office-uk-green-park-reading-berkshire-england-uk-gb-K0RR16.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bristol Rovers were my first thought on this! It's the M32 so definitely a motorway, built by around 1975. Don't think I've ever seen any ground closer to a motorway than Eastville was. Lived a stones throw from there for a while in early 90's. The stadium was still there for a few years, though Rovers had already vacated and it was a greyhound stadium. Used to walk through it quite often, it was in a state of decay. Eventually got pulled down and replaced by Ikea.

Back
Top Bottom