Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

UEFA Nations league

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My opinion is this tournament should be put on hold this year, these games being played before the start of the season will disrupt pre seasons which are already short on time.
However they are going ahead and so far we have Traore off with Spain and Portugal have just named Patricio, Moutinho, Neves and Jota in their squad.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My opinion is this tournament should be put on hold this year, these games being played before the start of the season will disrupt pre seasons which are already short on time.
However they are going ahead and so far we have Traore off with Spain and Portugal have just named Patricio, Moutinho, Neves and Jota in their squad.

Yeah it's all a bit much, players being flogged to death so games are gonna be settled by who doesn't suffer fatigue, or you'll see a lot of slower scrappier games. Im seriously worried about how we'll be affected, with hardly any pre season, proper break, small squad and no time to integrate any new signings.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah it's all a bit much, players being flogged to death so games are gonna be settled by who doesn't suffer fatigue, or you'll see a lot of slower scrappier games. Im seriously worried about how we'll be affected, with hardly any pre season, proper break, small squad and no time to integrate any new signings.
Much the same as most clubs though

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc with Ireland too. Be interesting to see if the new manager will continue to pick Coleman instead, if he does he will get a nice rest.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's shocking they're are still going ahead, we've got the euros next summer, then is it an early start the season after for the winter world cup?

Fatigue will play its toll, can see a lot of injuries.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really liked the format, and move away from meaningless friendlies....but there’s no way this should be going ahead this season.
Massive waste of everyone’s limited time under the circumstances.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc with Ireland too. Be interesting to see if the new manager will continue to pick Coleman instead, if he does he will get a nice rest.

It depends if they play with a back 4, or with 3 centre backs and wing-backs.

I'd still say Coleman would probably be better suited to a back 4 and Doc to wing-back.

The fact that there's only 6 defenders (including 3 centre backs) in the squad, suggests it will probably be a back 4 unfortunately.

Which seems crazy, when they have Doc and Edna Stevens in the squad, who have both excelled at right and left wing-back in the last few years. John Egan too, who has been superb in their version of the Coady role for Sheffield United.

Maybe Coleman could end up right side of a 3 man central defence, with Doc and Stevens at wing-back?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd still say Coleman would probably be better suited to a back 4 and Doc to wing-back.

The fact that there's only 6 defenders (including 3 centre backs) in the squad, suggests it will probably be a back 4 unfortunately.

Which seems crazy, when they have Doc and Edna Stevens in the squad, who have both excelled at right and left wing-back in the last few years. John Egan too, who has been superb in their version of the Coady role for Sheffield United.

Maybe Coleman could end up right side of a 3 man central defence, with Doc and Stevens at wing-back?

It’s what I’d be doing. Not like they have a glut of midfield and attacking talent that 3-4-3/3-5-2 would take spots away from.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They need to play playoff matches regardless for entrants for next year tournement.

personally only disruption is to club sides which aren’t the priority.

countries can travel to others fairly safely and to venue of Match, play match and leave safely

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont think the formation makes a difference. Egan and Stevens are starters at CB/LB when Ireland play a back 4 despite what Sheffield United do. Doc is more than good enough to be in a back 4
Coleman hasn't been consistently in the everton team and while he was irelands best player for a long while he isnt any more. Its just loyalty speaking.

But yeah 5 at the back would suit that squad. But that squad has like 4 strikers, 3 of which are under 20 and some patchy wingers so who knows what the plan would be.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s what I’d be doing. Not like they have a glut of midfield and attacking talent that 3-4-3/3-5-2 would take spots away from.

Midfield is depressing but McGoldrick is a good player and Parrott, Connolly and Idah are very highly rated so I've got some hope for them. One thing I like now Mick isn't manager young players will get picked again.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vinagre and Neto also named in Portugal U21 squad for their games on 4th and 8th Sept.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd maybe start with.....

Randolph

Coleman---Egan---Duffy

Doc---Hendrick---McCarthy---Hourihane---Stevens

McGoldrick---Robinson
Solid, but far from spectacular.

Like the Burnley of International football.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

yeah I don't think we will match the achievements of the last couple of seasons without quite a few signings to help the lads out, it's ridiculous that the international games are still going ahead in this climate

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd maybe start with.....

Randolph

Coleman---Egan---Duffy

Doc---Hendrick---McCarthy---Hourihane---Stevens

McGoldrick---Robinson
Solid, but far from spectacular.

Like the Burnley of International football.

You aren't wrong. There is so little pace in that team though. So I'd play Connolly with Mcgoldrick he plays regularly for Brighton. Robinson got tossed to the baggies because he wasn't doing it at PL level so I'm not convinced by him. I really like Molumby in midfield had a very good loan move at milwall but possibly not experienced enough.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This coming season is going to be very demanding on international players in teams in Europe.

Why Portugal are picking Moutinho is beyond me.

Due to his experience and still usual high standards? This is a national team that still has Pepe and Fonte as one of the starting pair with Dias and Moutinho is younger than them hah.
I get for us we want Moutinho to have a rest but international managers will pick their best players.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
These games are a total joke. Just plain stupid.

The Nations League should have been binned off this year. It is a complete joke. As I understand it, the Wolves players report back on September 1st and then half the first XI are going to need to pretty much immediately go off on Nations League duty until the 9th. If we're lucky those players may get to squeeze in 3 training sessions before Sheff Utd on the 14th.

At some point down the road, a big club or group of clubs will take a stand and refuse to release players unless they receive what they deem to be sufficient compensation. Unlikely to happen over the Nations League but could be a legal minefield for UEFA or CAF if and when it does happen as I imagine the big clubs could get themselves lawyered up to the hilt

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Belgian squad announced, Dendoncker included

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Nations League should have been binned off this year. It is a complete joke. As I understand it, the Wolves players report back on September 1st and then half the first XI are going to need to pretty much immediately go off on Nations League duty until the 9th. If we're lucky those players may get to squeeze in 3 training sessions before Sheff Utd on the 14th.

At some point down the road, a big club or group of clubs will take a stand and refuse to release players unless they receive what they deem to be sufficient compensation. Unlikely to happen over the Nations League but could be a legal minefield for UEFA or CAF if and when it does happen as I imagine the big clubs could get themselves lawyered up to the hilt
I agree,Tournament should have been shelved for this 20/21 period. Disruption to the new season about to start, And as already mentioned the European championships next year. And in the current climate, unnecessary travel.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really liked the format, and move away from meaningless friendlies....but there’s no way this should be going ahead this season.
Massive waste of everyone’s limited time under the circumstances.

That's what I thought they were for, yet they've still sandwiched a meaningless friendly against bloody Wales in October, between Nationa League fixtures. Ridiculous.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Kalvin Phillips, is Southgate on crack?

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Keane and Mings again, awful.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Maguire and Sterling picked as are Henderson, Foden, Ward-Prowse and Kalvin Phillips.

Really feel for Conor. Based on last season’s performances, there a few defenders that he deserves to be ahead of.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean i'm not Grealish's biggest fan, but how Phillips getting in over him ? the guy as zero top level experience.

So much for the 'proving himself at the top level' Southgate goes on about

Also wheres Maddison and Chilwell ?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 right backs and no left backs. Go Southgate!

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I enjoy the banter but how Grealish doesnt get selected and Phillips does makes no sense

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean i'm not Grealish's biggest fan, but how Phillips getting in over him ? the guy as zero top level experience.

I enjoy the banter but how Grealish doesnt get selected and Phillips does makes no sense

I don't think it's Phillips over Grealish though. Grealish has played 2/3rds of his games this season wide left of a 3 man forward line.

That means he's not competing with Phillips or any other central midfielder for a place in the squad, he's competing with Rashford and Sterling who've got over 50 goals in all competitions between them this season.

If Jordan Henderson was fit, I don't think Phillips would be in there. Southgate is probably just having a look at him after a very impressive season for Leeds and it's unlikely he will play.

The worst thing that could possibly happen now, is Southgate plays a 3 man central defence with Phillips in Coady's role. That would really, really annoy me!!!

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The options in centre midfield are scarily embarrassing.

Young and talented yes but I wouldn't want to be going up against any of the world's top 20 sides with those as our options. Likely to see Dier in there.

How Grealish hasn't made that squad is beyond me ... Great banter with Villa about him but it's actually laughable he hasn't been selected.

Take Henderson, Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain out of the squad at the same time and we seriously lack any kind of experience.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So much for the 'proving himself at the top level' Southgate goes on about

Also wheres Maddison and Chilwell ?

Injured apparently, along with Henderson.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Dendoncker in the Belgium squad.
1598426140816.jpeg
Interesting he’s listed as a defender, is that where he plays for them?

Back
Top Bottom