Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Trincao treble

Madmalc

Reaction score
I'm happy for Trincao who scored a hat trick for Sporting.
It leaves us with the perennial conundrum question.
Would he have come good for us, or is it that he is now playing in a league that his talents match?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I saw him make a good run once or twice and that great goal at Chelsea. Not much to remember for all the games he played. Either he didn't want to be here, or he doesn't have the attributes for the PL. I'm past caring which it was. Same as Guedes, we need to stop making these mistakes.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's is definitely something in the fan base not giving players time to adapt ....Joe linton and Miguel Almiron would not have been given the time to adapt by sections of our fan base ....it can take 6-18 months for some players to adapt..

Hwang is probably only just showing signs of doing so........it's easy to keep writing players off at the first signs of doubt ...

Our longest serving player Coady was given a lot more time to adapt at wolves , than is being given to players by some in recent times ..

Last edited:

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'd likely have done better in a team with a well-functioning attack. He could have been gradually introduced when winning against weaker teams through substitute appearances without lots of pressure to be 'the answer'. He just wasn't quite ready to hit the ground running as one of the main attackers at that stage in his career.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'd likely have done better in a team with a well-functioning attack. He could have been gradually introduced when winning against weaker teams through substitute appearances without lots of pressure to be 'the answer'. He just wasn't quite ready to hit the ground running as one of the main attackers at that stage in his career.

I think this is key.

Everyone is very happy saying that our attacking unit hasn't really functioned for 2-3 years. And yet many also slate individual players who've come in (and left) within that time - surprise surprise, it's hard to play well as part of that attack!

Part of the reason Brighton (or before that Southampton, before that Swansea) look like they have such a high hit rate with scouting, is because players are coming in to a team that is playing well, which is much easier to do. Too often people leap to "not suited to the league", "no bottle, not up for it", when that's not the case, or at least not the whole case.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is key.

Everyone is very happy saying that our attacking unit hasn't really functioned for 2-3 years. And yet many also slate individual players who've come in (and left) within that time - surprise surprise, it's hard to play well as part of that attack!
I think there's another part to it, which is that he was too similar to what we already had: a technical player who likes the ball to feet. Those players need a point of difference: midfield runners, a big man holding it up and getting on the end of crosses, someone quick to run in behind (Traore's quick but he prefers the ball to feet). We didn't really have that last season, though we all know Lage wanted the big man and eventually got Kalazic.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is key.

Part of the reason Brighton (or before that Southampton, before that Swansea) look like they have such a high hit rate with scouting, is because players are coming in to a team that is playing well, which is much easier to do. Too often people leap to "not suited to the league", "no bottle, not up for it", when that's not the case, or at least not the whole case.
Totally agree ....Nuno style favoured the defenders to much......all defender looked ok but midfield and forwards by and large struggled.....we are still trying to break these shackles.....

Ryan Bennett fitted in with ease , whereas endless forwards struggled as such....and we're constantly written off.......the wide forwards by and large had to do too much....

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw him make a good run once or twice and that great goal at Chelsea. Not much to remember for all the games he played. Either he didn't want to be here, or he doesn't have the attributes for the PL. I'm past caring which it was. Same as Guedes, we need to stop making these mistakes.
Disagree on both points personally, I just think as a fanbase we write players off way too quickly under the fronts of "they don't want to be here" or "not fit for English football". He was 21/22 when he signed and some of these players take at least a year to get to grips with things - Look at Grealish, already "premier league proven" at Villa, yet struggled for just above a year initially at one of the best teams in Europe moving to City, and is now just in the past couple of months starting to come into his own.

I also think that regarding Trincao, it was a tough ask for him when Bruno reverted to the counter-attacking style after 3 games. Him being constantly isolated on the wing 1v1, he was never going to have the pace to make as big of an impact as he'd have been capable of if he had players around him to link up with etc. I think he'd have been much better suited in a possession-based system & a team that actually had a proper striker - Which coincidentally we might have next season under Lopetegui

Last edited:

Rowzed

Reaction score
There's is definitely something in the fan base not giving players time to adapt ....Joe linton and Miguel Almiron would not have been given the time to adapt by sections of our fan base ....it can take 6-18 months for some players to adapt..

Hwang is probably only just showing signs of doing so........it's easy to keep writing players off at the first signs of doubt ...

Our longest serving player Coady was given a lot more time to adapt at wolves , than is being given to players by some in recent times ..
It’s also the case that players have to earn ‘love’ in order to get a bit of leeway if they fluff their lines in a game. They can do this by being instantly lovable / charismatic, it’s not just about ability, or even just about effort although effort is still rated higher than technique by most fans ( me included )

Neto, is a prime example of charisma by the bucketload.

If they don’t have that then they’ll have a harder time. Mo Camara vs Matt Doherty, one had charisma in abundance but not a lot of ability, the other with the club 10 years, massively influential in our best seasons but never really ‘wowed’ the fan base. Joao Gomes has it, Lemina has it, Dendoncker, Guedes, Trincao, not. Cavaleiro had it, Helder less so, Vitinha did, but then never really got a good run. there’s not many who become legends gradually, though Craddock and Saïss, two of my favourite ever players, were both a bit ‘meh’ with the fans initially, I think if Nunes sticks around then he will acquire that status over time, but I doubt he will be here long enough.

the acid test is the song, when a player has a song then they have charisma but not necessarily ability ( Cutrone vs Cunha and Sarabia )

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s also the case that players have to earn ‘love’ in order to get a bit of leeway if they fluff their lines in a game. They can do this by being instantly lovable / charismatic, it’s not just about ability, or even just about effort although effort is still rated higher than technique by most fans ( me included )

Neto, is a prime example of charisma by the bucketload.

If they don’t have that then they’ll have a harder time. Mo Camara vs Matt Doherty, one had charisma in abundance but not a lot of ability, the other with the club 10 years, massively influential in our best seasons but never really ‘wowed’ the fan base. Joao Gomes has it, Lemina has it, Dendoncker, Guedes, Trincao, not. Cavaleiro had it, Helder less so, Vitinha did, but then never really got a good run. there’s not many who become legends gradually, though Craddock and Saïss, two of my favourite ever players, were both a bit ‘meh’ with the fans initially, I think if Nunes sticks around then he will acquire that status over time, but I doubt he will be here long enough.

the acid test is the song, when a player has a song then they have charisma but not necessarily ability ( Cutrone vs Cunha and Sarabia )
Yes agree it not black and white....trincao and guedes to a point deserved a bit of flack....but it was a bit OTT.........He doesn't want to be here guedes they kept saying '......which was right......but look on the Coady thread , a player who quite clearly didn't want to be' here '....still has people backing him up...

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I'm not really convinced. Coady didn't really get 'time to settle' he was just moved to a position made for him. Joelinton similarly changed roles. Almeron has hit an absolute purple patch, he always got chances and never finished them, maybe that's patience, maybe it's just that Howe has given him more belief. Let's not forget that while Newcastle were showing 'patience' with those players only the Saudi buy out probably saved them from relegation. I honestly thought Guedes might come good when Lopetegui arrived, but in a situation where we needed all hands to the attacking pumps Julen made his judgement pretty quickly.

That's not saying as a fanbase we're not too quick to write players off sometimes. I'd sympathise with some like Vitinha who I don't think really got much chance. Some of the others I feel are traded a bit too much like commodities though and we're not in a position to spend £25m+ on players and then leave them playing in the first team for 12 months hoping they might eventually adapt. It does suit players like Hwang more because although he can look awful at times, he never looks like he's not trying.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think those first three games under Lage showed how he wanted to play and you can see how Trincao would have fitted in well to that with the wide forwards driving inside.

When he abandoned it though and reverted to Nuno’s blueprint, we seemed to have no real plan for the final third, so it was always going to be a struggle for any forward player (as we’ve seen).

Add to that he was still a young player and playing in fits and starts it’s no wonder he was inconsistent at best.

With the right manager him, Silva and Neto could have been something quite special, hopefully the latter two still will!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not really convinced. Coady didn't really get 'time to settle' he was just moved to a position made for him. Joelinton similarly changed roles. Almeron has hit an absolute purple patch, he always got chances and never finished them, maybe that's patience, maybe it's just that Howe has given him more belief. Let's not forget that while Newcastle were showing 'patience' with those players only the Saudi buy out probably saved them from relegation. I honestly thought Guedes might come good when Lopetegui arrived, but in a situation where we needed all hands to the attacking pumps Julen made his judgement pretty quickly.

That's not saying as a fanbase we're not too quick to write players off sometimes. I'd sympathise with some like Vitinha who I don't think really got much chance. Some of the others I feel are traded a bit too much like commodities though and we're not in a position to spend £25m+ on players and then leave them playing in the first team for 12 months hoping they might eventually adapt. It does suit players like Hwang more because although he can look awful at times, he never looks like he's not trying.
Coady got 2/3 seasons before he came good .... Trincao was being slagged off at Leicester away in his first game.....I couldn't believe how much stick he was getting from our fans .....

I had a proper row with (fellow) supporters over it ...

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Coady got 2/3 seasons before he came good .... Trincao was being slagged off at Leicester away in his first game.....I couldn't believe how much stick he was getting from our fans .....

I had a proper row with (fellow) supporters over it ...
Well I can't speak about the Leicester game, my recollection is that the crowd were extremely supportive of the team, 'Bruno Lage's Barmy Army' was going half the game. There are some idiots always of course, I'm talking about the general attitude. Nobody with more than half a brain would have been slagging him off in his first game (where we did pretty well).

My point on Coady is that he came in and looked like a pretty average central midfielder, he didn't 'come good' because we were all patient with him, but because Nuno worked out he'd be good in the middle of a back 3.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some people (players) just don't travel well. I've travelled around the world, but I've never lived and worked, outside of the UK.
I always felt with Trincao, recently Guedes too, they just weren't cut out for living in the UK... Or UK just wasn't the right fit for them.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would fail here.

After watching Man City last night, I'm more convinced than ever the Premier League is the best league because of the physicality.

Pep changed football with his false nine, tiki-taka, but it's now all about power and pace. Of course, they still play brilliant football, but they were a team of monsters last night. Four centre-backs on the pitch, all physically strong (gives them an extra set-piece threat which is key as well). Rodri, KDB both proper athletes, Haaland a machine.

That's 7 of your 10 outfield players that must be 6ft+, quick and strong.

Of the remaining three, Gundogan is 5ft11 and whilst not as powerful is still strong, you have Bernardo Silva who runs more than anyone and Jack Grealish.

It's not just City.

Newcastle are the biggest overachievers and they're an incredibly athletic side. Everyone can run and/or is of a good size.

There is a growing theme of clubs (which we've joined in now due to Toti at LB) of centre-backs playing at full-back, as it adds more power and size to sides. (City, as mentioned, Ben White at Arsenal, Dan Burn Newcastle, Veltman at Brighton etc. )

Brentford are similar, as we'll see Saturday, all running power and physicality.

Just look at our performance against Chelsea. It was built on pace and power. Toti made us more aggressive/strong at the back. Lemina and Gomes gave us more dynamism in the middle, Cunha and Costa are big, strong lads as well.

So, in answer to the OP, no, Trincao would fail. He doesn't have the pace and physicality to cope, nor did Guedes.

If you don't have the physical attributes to cope, you get eaten alive at this level. You would no doubt get flashes of ability throughout a season, but you can't spend big money on someone like that. We've got Sarabia to do that for £5m, Trincao would be better at a slower league, as he's showing.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just can't look past that ball that was 60-40 in his favour against Declan Rice, away at West Ham, completely bottled it and managed to somehow lose out, just illustrated he didn't have the fight and physicality needed in this league.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Trincao, and felt that given a little more time after adjusting to the league he’d have become a key part of our team. Teams need a blend of skill, flair, steel, pace, height, power. I think Trincao would have been our flair and skill. I’d rather have persevered with him than Podence to be totally honest.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trincao reminds me a little of Ronaldo when he first came to England just wanted to do skills and step overs

With coaching and time he turned into one of the worlds best.

Trincao clearly has the absolute abilities maybe not the pace but he’s going to get better.

To start with I thought he was dud by the end of the loan I wanted us to sign him. He was pressing player too which Julen would of liked.

Funny how things work out good luck to him at sporting :)

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did more for us than Guedes!
Hopefully we move away from buying these type of wide forwards that don’t create or score .

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for the 'time to settle' argument; of course players from oversees, coming to the Prem need that. But unfortunately, in a lot of instances, Wolves hasn't been that type of club. Under Nuno (and Lage last season), we had a relatively small squad that couldn't carry passengers. Under Loppy, we were deeply in the ****, so needed players that would perform straight away. In a lot of instances; Trincao, Guedes, Vitinha, Sarabia, Nunes, Silva etc..., because of large fees and reputations, needed to hit the ground running. They didn't do so. Blame the player or blame the recruitment? I would say it's a bit of both. However, there are hundreds of instances of oversees players doing well straight away. Our own Neves performed from day 1. Our long-time target Palhinha did, Bruno Fernandes at Yernited did. The list goes on.
I would say that our recruitment on the whole hasn't been up to scratch. Any of us could identify a good player from watching them, either in person or from highlights etc... It's much harder and that's where we need to be smarter, in identifying the character and personality that will allow a player to thrive.
Maybe things will change under Loppy, especially if we have a larger squad, become more secure in the Prem and not be fighting relegation and have the luxury of giving players time. Maybe, we recruit better from abroad. Whatever the answer, Trincao was the wrong player for us at the wrong time.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the Portuguese league is up to the pace or physicality of the prem . So the players need to adapt or will be sold . Fabio has done well this season but will be interesting to see if he comes back how he does . As the leagues he is playing in are not up to prem standard.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the Portuguese league is up to the pace or physicality of the prem . So the players need to adapt or will be sold . Fabio has done well this season but will be interesting to see if he comes back how he does . As the leagues he is playing in are not up to prem standard.
Which league did Ruben Dias or Bruno Fernandes come out of when they won premier League player of the season in their first season...

8 out the last 10 winners of premier league player of the season have come from so called farmers leagues.....

Last edited:

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which league did Ruben Dias or Bruno Fernandes come out of when they won premier League player of the season in their first season...
Which league did Jamie vardy come out of so we signing players from the conference. I get your point but surely you can see the standard of those leagues is far different. Yes players can make it but I bet if you listed all players that moved to the prem I bet more have failed than made it . That's because they are not use the league pace abd standard.

In the prem just for us I will put Fabio, Vitinihns, trincao, Boly ( admittedly injuries not helped) , Guedes to name 5 just at our club nevermind other teams .

Last edited:

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which league did Jamie vardy come out of so we signing players from the conference. I get your point but surely you can see the standard of those leagues is far different. Yes players can make it but I bet if you listed all players that moved to the prem I bet more have failed than made it . That's because they are not use the league pace abd standard.

In the prem just for us I will put Fabio, Vitinihns, trincao, Boly ( admittedly injuries not helped) , Guedes to name 5 just at our club nevermind other teams .
You think Boly was a failure ? Wow ! Just WOW!!!!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fabio , vitinha were kids nowt to do with the league. ...they were too young..both had hardly played in the Portuguese league . ...trincao and guedes were signed from La Liga ........boly was a failure, have a word..... probably the best centre back outside the top teams until Gibbs bost his leg.........I noticed you missed out neves n Jota.......the Portuguese league has helped us produce our best team for 40 years. It's hardly a failure..

Why do so many premier league clubs spend so much money on players from Portugal n Spain if it's so poor......

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Almiron , though he struggled to score, was performing overall much better, much sooner, than Trincao and Guedes. He looked interested and was clearly working hard and showing a lot of effort which helps. The difference this season is that he's added goal scoring. Joelinton struggled, would have been moved on, but change in role has transformed him.

If a player doesn't really want to be here and was sold it as a stepping stone, whatever, no amount of time is going to help.

I get your point, but how long can a struggling team afford to give a struggling player? For every example of the player who comes good after a year or two, there are many more who never do simply because they are not good enough or not right for the club. 10 times as many, at least. Failing to reach Premier League standard is the norm for every aspiring footballer, after all!

It's like a lottery where "the next one will win me big". It may, but it probably won't. Keep playing a team of struggling players until they come good is not generally the recipe for success. After all, there are players out there who settle within a couple of months - Neves, Jota, Boly, loads of them.That has to be preferable.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almiron , though he struggled to score, was performing overall much better, much sooner, than Trincao and Guedes. He looked interested and was clearly working hard and showing a lot of effort which helps. The difference this season is that he's added goal scoring. Joelinton struggled, would have been moved on, but change in role has transformed him.

If a player doesn't really want to be here and was sold it as a stepping stone, whatever, no amount of time is going to help.

I get your point, but how long can a struggling team afford to give a struggling player? For every example of the player who comes good after a year or two, there are many more who never do simply because they are not good enough or not right for the club. 10 times as many, at least. Failing to reach Premier League standard is the norm for every aspiring footballer, after all!

It's like a lottery where "the next one will win me big". It may, but it probably won't. Keep playing a team of struggling players until they come good is not generally the recipe for success. After all, there are players out there who settle within a couple of months - Neves, Jota, Boly, loads of them.That has to be preferable.
Neves , Jota and Boly settled at a lower level...

Almeron was a laughing stock for a good 18 months....no doubt he tried but all I'm saying is he would have been ridiculed by a lot of our fans as a really bad expensive flop.....

No doubt Silva and vitinha were too young and too inexperienced in football generally to be a hit in the premier league....

It depends what you determine 'Struggling '......I would suggest we've found our level more over struggling.... trincao struggled to turn us into a team above 10th I agree......guedes was a bit of a disappointment but we was rag **** rovers off the pitch....

Trincao and guedes were both probably not mentally right , that was the problem which I don't doubt.....just disagree with the general term it was the league they came from.....that is utter *******s....

Look at saliba at arsenal....did nowt for 3 or so season cause he was too young...Arsenal didn't just throw him aside , despite on field and off field problems...a bit of patience and he develops..

It's not Mitoma first season at Brighton...he wasn't cast a side after 12 months.....

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves , Jota and Boly settled at a lower level...

Almeron was a laughing stock for a good 18 months....no doubt he tried but all I'm saying is he would have been ridiculed by a lot of our fans as a really bad expensive flop.....

No doubt Silva and vitinha were too young and too inexperienced in football generally to be a hit in the premier league....

It depends what you determine 'Struggling '......I would suggest we've found our level more over struggling.... trincao struggled to turn us into a team above 10th I agree......guedes was a bit of a disappointment but we was rag **** rovers off the pitch....

Trincao and guedes were both probably not mentally right , that was the problem which I don't doubt.....just disagree with the general term it was the league they came from.....that is utter *******s....

Look at saliba at arsenal....did nowt for 3 or so season cause he was too young...Arsenal didn't just throw him aside , despite on field and off field problems...a bit of patience and he develops..

It's not Mitoma first season at Brighton...he wasn't cast a side after 12 months.....

Yes, agreed. WOuld add, I don't think we are that different to other clubs. These players *were* given (or are being given) full seasons with regular starting places even when totally off form. The manager is giving them the benefit of the doubt based on history/expectation. Ultimately, we don't pick the team, do we? I don't believe the clubs is writing off players too soon. Fan chatter has no meaning.

Vitinha is the only one who , even at the time, some thought should have had more game time. Though I can't blame the club for moving him on as he looked very uninspiring - other than against much lower level Chorley, which says it all. Rafa Mir, perhaps, though he took 2 or 3 seasons to develop and didn't want to stay anyway.

In terms of "writing players off too soon", it's a non-problem. The club are doing everything they could. Perhaps we are getting too many players who haven't settled, though? Again, this happens to all clubs, many players, I'm not even sure we're exceptionally bad at this. If a player needs to play at a lower level to settle, then surely we should do exactly that? And we have many players with potential out on loan doing exactly that. eg Mosquera, potental yet young and inexperienced, he's doing well in the US league.

Ultimately, the manager has to get a result in the here and now, what a player may or may not do, 3 years from now means nothing when we play Leicester and Everton and desperately need those 6 points. But the big question, the real dilemma of the day must surely be: Did we write Jesus Vallejo off too soon? :D

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, agreed. WOuld add, I don't think we are that different to other clubs. These players *were* given (or are being given) full seasons with regular starting places even when totally off form. The manager is giving them the benefit of the doubt based on history/expectation. Ultimately, we don't pick the team, do we? I don't believe the clubs is writing off players too soon. Fan chatter has no meaning.

Vitinha is the only one who , even at the time, some thought should have had more game time. Though I can't blame the club for moving him on as he looked very uninspiring - other than against much lower level Chorley, which says it all. Rafa Mir, perhaps, though he took 2 or 3 seasons to develop and didn't want to stay anyway.

In terms of "writing players off too soon", it's a non-problem. The club are doing everything they could. Perhaps we are getting too many players who haven't settled, though? Again, this happens to all clubs, many players, I'm not even sure we're exceptionally bad at this. If a player needs to play at a lower level to settle, then surely we should do exactly that? And we have many players with potential out on loan doing exactly that. eg Mosquera, potental yet young and inexperienced, he's doing well in the US league.

Ultimately, the manager has to get a result in the here and now, what a player may or may not do, 3 years from now means nothing when we play Leicester and Everton and desperately need those 6 points. But the big question, the real dilemma of the day must surely be: Did we write Jesus Vallejo off too soon? :D
Agree but we are bad ...some of our fans were ruling Cunha out ...a January transfer window signing before it was even February...

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio , vitinha were kids nowt to do with the league. ...they were too young..both had hardly played in the Portuguese league . ...trincao and guedes were signed from La Liga ........boly was a failure, have a word..... probably the best centre back outside the top teams until Gibbs bost his leg.........I noticed you missed out neves n Jota.......the Portuguese league has helped us produce our best team for 40 years. It's hardly a failure..

Why do so many premier league clubs spend so much money on players from Portugal n Spain if it's so poor......
Neves and Jota great players but less have made the cut rather than have. Thats probably because they can't take the pace of the league so leave or are not up to it .

Just saying it is all about opinions but I wonder why a fair few players score 30 plus goals in the Scottish league and they come to the Prem and do sweet FA. Might be due to the standard and pace.

I bet some at times would put a question mark against Podence, but what about Ruben Vinagre and Jordao . I am just making the point that less make the cut due to physicality of the league than make it . But I suppose you view it differently so fair enough.

Last edited:

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one thing Trincao Vitinha and Guedes had in common was that they didn't look very happy to be here.

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would fail here.

After watching Man City last night, I'm more convinced than ever the Premier League is the best league because of the physicality.

Pep changed football with his false nine, tiki-taka, but it's now all about power and pace. Of course, they still play brilliant football, but they were a team of monsters last night. Four centre-backs on the pitch, all physically strong (gives them an extra set-piece threat which is key as well). Rodri, KDB both proper athletes, Haaland a machine.

That's 7 of your 10 outfield players that must be 6ft+, quick and strong.

Of the remaining three, Gundogan is 5ft11 and whilst not as powerful is still strong, you have Bernardo Silva who runs more than anyone and Jack Grealish.

It's not just City.

Newcastle are the biggest overachievers and they're an incredibly athletic side. Everyone can run and/or is of a good size.

There is a growing theme of clubs (which we've joined in now due to Toti at LB) of centre-backs playing at full-back, as it adds more power and size to sides. (City, as mentioned, Ben White at Arsenal, Dan Burn Newcastle, Veltman at Brighton etc. )

Brentford are similar, as we'll see Saturday, all running power and physicality.

Just look at our performance against Chelsea. It was built on pace and power. Toti made us more aggressive/strong at the back. Lemina and Gomes gave us more dynamism in the middle, Cunha and Costa are big, strong lads as well.

So, in answer to the OP, no, Trincao would fail. He doesn't have the pace and physicality to cope, nor did Guedes.

If you don't have the physical attributes to cope, you get eaten alive at this level. You would no doubt get flashes of ability throughout a season, but you can't spend big money on someone like that. We've got Sarabia to do that for £5m, Trincao would be better at a slower league, as he's showing.
Great post.

Back
Top Bottom