Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Trevor Francis (RIP)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here in Trevor's hometown of Plymouth the news of his death has left everyone stunned. My brother used to work with Trevor's Dad Roy on South West Gas.

I have a great mate who is a Blues fan and he will be devastated by this news as any chance ' Wardie ' gets he will discuss the fantastic forward line for part of the seventies they had of Trevor, Bob Latchford and Bob Hatton. They were my Birmingham City supporting Granny's favourites as well.

Trevor played in era when virtual assaults like the tackle from behind were considered the norm. This caused him to miss more than his fair share of games and I do think he could have had an even better career but for the knocks he took ( As did our own John Richards ) That said it was not a tackle but a torn achilles that stopped Trevor from playing in the 1980 European Cup win Forest had against Hamburg.

There is a lovely tribute to Trevor Francis on the Plymouth Argyle website.

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fond memories of ‘Tricky’ Trevor as a player then manager at Sheffield Wednesday from my student days. Too young, RIP.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Back in the days of ATV/Central when there was a focus on the region's football teams he really was a top, top footballer in these parts. Hard to describe to youngsters back then how our footballing world was localised and Star Soccer, Friday Night news (Newbon & Greavesy) featured Trevor Francis regularly. Somehow rivalries weren't as exaggerated and he was a great footballer for the region as well as Blues/Forest.

That's why those posting on here are posting genuine condolences, he was a local hero, RIP Trevor.....

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember seeing him rip us apart at the City Ground on Easter Monday 1981 - he was some player. RIP

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
69 is no age, these days. Just strikes home that we are all moving towards the front of the escalator quite rapidly. Condolences to Trevor's family.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real shock, I remember his debut for Blues at 16. I remember Clough telling him to take his hands out of his pockets at a football awards show. Rip to a fine footballer and nice bloke.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very saddened by this news. One of the biggest names from my era. A reminder of just how fragile life is and should be lived to the full whilst we can.

RIP Trevor Francis.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reunited with his lovely wife Helen now. One of the true superstars of Midlands football. I didn't like his pundit work but there was no doubting his ability on the pitch. RIP Trevor.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RIP. When he played for Blues he used to live quite close to me in Knowle. Howard Kendall lived in the same cul de sac! He forever had kids knocking on his door but was very polite to all I remember. I once saw him playing football in the park, with a tennis ball. with Jeff Lynne which was a bit bizarre.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got in to hear on BBC news George Alagiah has died at just 67; I thought he had recovered from his cancer. And now I come on here to discover TF has passed away with a heart attack. So sad to hear of both deaths and RIP to both. It really proves you have to live for the day. If you want to do something, go ahead and do it; you never know when your time is up. A very, very sad day.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally gobsmacked and just so, so sad.

A great player and a gentleman.

Been reading about when he signed for Forest. Cloughie turned up in a tatty old tracksuit holding a tennis racquet as he was going to play after the signing. He apparently signed for £999,999 because Forest didn’t want to burden him as the first £1m footballer.

He also played 330 games for Brum. Didn’t think he played as many as that for them.

RIP Trevor Francis. Heartfelt condolences to all family and friends.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
First £1m player, one of the unsung quality players of my youth, his malmo winner was superb, can I also remember him rupturing his Achilles playing for city with nobody around him? Successful in Italy too at Sampdoria RIP

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic player at both Blues and Forest . Had all the attributes of a great goal scorer . A majestic player from an era when all clubs seemed to possess great attacking players from the UK .
A true great and real legend . RIP TF

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So saddened to hear the news.
A talented and gifted player of his time and one I feel fortunate to have seen play.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I saw him play for Sheffield Wednesday as player manager? Can’t remember. I’m also convinced the Wolves fans were singing ‘2 Jasper Carrotts, there’s only 2 Jasper Carrotts’ to him.

If that never happened then I apologise as my brain has obviously made it up!

Very sad news and 69 is young to pass still IMO.

Rest in peace Trevor.

Edit** I’ve just checked and I would have seen him play as player manager for Wednesday.

Last edited:

Kennedy

Reaction score
A giant of football, a colossus of Midlands football.

I will never forget those cup games against Liverpool (I think) and Blues kept losing on penalties. The drama back then seemed incredible to me. Graham Taylor era I would say..

RIP

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad news
The first 1 million pound footballer , and what a striker..fast..brave
R I P

Lawndog

Reaction score
Suffice to say.......he was one of my favourite non-wolves players.....RIP Trev and thanks for the memories xx

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chris Bart Williams death announced. Aged 49

Awful day.
What? Jesus Christ. Saw him at the Forest away game just a few weeks ago, was literally talking to him in the corporate area pre game.

RIP to both men. Puts football in to perspective. Also makes you realise just how fast life just flies by.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad day and both taken way too young.

Francis will be rightly seen as a legend by Blues, Forest and Wednesday and of course was a rare success abroad at the time too with his successful stint in Italy. The first million pound player.
He was also manager at Wednesday I think when we won that dramatic FA Cup penalty shootout in 1995 with Bart-Williams missing one of their pens that night after having his pen saved in the first game at Hillsborough. ( I took time off work to be at that game so missed the replay)

49 is just no age at all for the Bartman - another big player for both Forest and Wednesday.

RIP to them both.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad day for football.
I was hugely shocked to learn of the passing of Trevor Francis, and even more so the death of Chris Bart-Williams, at only 49.
RIP and God bless them both.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad day for football.
I was hugely shocked to learn of the passing of Trevor Francis, and even more so the death of Chris Bart-Williams, at only 49.
RIP and God bless them both.
Well said

Back
Top Bottom