Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Top 10 worst signings of the season

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no Torres or Carroll?

edit: my bad, were Jan window signings

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Johnson fee wasn't that much, either. If I recall correctly Fletcher is our record signing at £6.5m rising to £7m, and there was no suggestion at the time of signing Roger that he equaled that.

S

SimplyTheWolves

This is worse than I thought, we can't even come first at the worst.

W

Wolvesthrunthru

Pretty sure the Johnson fee wasn't that much, either. If I recall correctly Fletcher is our record signing at £6.5m rising to £7m, and there was no suggestion at the time of signing Roger that he equaled that.

Wasn't it about £4.5m?

J

JR's Boots

Johnson should have been number 1 because while Downing has been rubbish, at least he doesn't turn up drunk, insult the fans and cause internal ruction within the squad.

Eggert should also have made the top 10.

Couldn't agree more with Eggert comments! Did anyone else vote him as "player of the year" ?

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Samir Nasri in the top ten? Really?

Hasn't done as well as many thought he would have (but he's picked up his form recently).

Think it's a pretty fair list.

Downing & Henderson are two of the worst players I think I've seen this season. It boggles my mind how they are professional footballers every time I've seen them this season & how Downing has been getting ahead of Jarvis (even though his delivery isn't always on the money he's a dam site better than Downing) in the England squad is a disgrace.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Johnson has been an all-round $$$$e....fully deserves the 'number 2' position.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leave eggy alone, he hasn't done anything wrong. He's just a victim of circumstance.

D

Dewsburywolf

So two of Liverpool's signing make the top ten, King Kenny's really done well hasn't he?

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So two of Liverpool's signing make the top ten, King Kenny's really done well hasn't he?

Could make a case for Charlie Adam being in there too. At least that's the feeling I get from Liverpool fans I know.

The Carling Cup win has probably brought him a bit more time.

D

Dewsburywolf

Could make a case for Charlie Adam being in there too. At least that's the feeling I get from Liverpool fans I know.

The Carling Cup win has probably brought him a bit more time.

Lose to Chelsea tonight & it's almost nailed on that they'll finish below Everton, not the best outcome for his future employment prospects

B

bridgnorthwolf

Wasn't it about £4.5m?

It was blown out of all proportion based on Birmingham's original valuation.

Roger actually only cost us £2.5 million, which could have risen to £4.5 with add-ons, but due to the fact we have been relegated and based on appearances and performances, I'd say he hasn't cost us a penny over £2.5 million.

M

Monkey Man

It was blown out of all proportion based on Birmingham's original valuation.

Roger actually only cost us £2.5 million, which could have risen to £4.5 with add-ons, but due to the fact we have been relegated and based on appearances and performances, I'd say he hasn't cost us a penny over £2.5 million.

And where did this information come from? I'm pretty sure that Blues disclosed the deal as £6.5m I'm afraid.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey some truly truly awful signings there, makes signing Egg a master stroke.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leave eggy alone, he hasn't done anything wrong. He's just a victim of circumstance.

Yes, it was strange circumstances that resulted in us buying a midfielder that didn't improve the squad, and looks a total bunch of $$$$ when he did play. Fine side parting mind you.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And where did this information come from? I'm pretty sure that Blues disclosed the deal as £6.5m I'm afraid.

I don't think it was anywhere near 6.5m a few Blues acquantances said that it was about 3.5m with clauses, I'm sure this was also confirmed in an article when Carsteun yeung was being investigated.

L

lthursfield

29 year old striker Robert Taylor signed for £1.55 million on a 4 year contract from Man City by Colin Lee in 2000 takes some beating. "9 appearances and 0 goals for Wolves and loaned out to 3 lower league clubs scoring 1 goal in 18 before terminating his own contract in 2002". "I've decided to sign a different type of striker than normally seen at Wolves" Lee enthused at the signing. Right on.

Beware of gambles with coaches promoted to the manager's role at Wolves!

A

Apocalypse Now

1. Signing the contract to build the vanity stand that will become as infamous as the John Ireland stand debacle in the late 70's
2. Allowing Connor to sign the managers contract.

S

SaleWolf

29 year old striker Robert Taylor signed for £1.55 million on a 4 year contract from Man City by Colin Lee in 2000 takes some beating. "9 appearances and 0 goals for Wolves and loaned out to 3 lower league clubs scoring 1 goal in 18 before terminating his own contract in 2002". "I've decided to sign a different type of striker than normally seen at Wolves" Lee enthused at the signing. Right on.

Beware of gambles with coaches promoted to the manager's role at Wolves!

He was also more overweight than James Corden.

F

FLEET WOLF

Hasn't done as well as many thought he would have (but he's picked up his form recently).

Think it's a pretty fair list.

Downing & Henderson are two of the worst players I think I've seen this season. It boggles my mind how they are professional footballers every time I've seen them this season & how Downing has been getting ahead of Jarvis (even though his delivery isn't always on the money he's a dam site better than Downing) in the England squad is a disgrace.

It is staggering that Downing is ahead of Jarvis in the England pecking order. Henderson scored a decent goal last night, but he really is ordinary as hell. If Kenny stays as manager, we need to encourage him to offer us zillions for Fletcher now!

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure Liverpool are currently on their worst run of home form for 60 odd years, or were before last night anyway. King Kenny indeed...

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great article - some of those signings are truly horrendous - but still they name Johnson as no. 2.

TBH I'd have O'Hara in there also. I hope we never see either of them in a Wolves shirt again.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Comes from a source who works at Birmingham City. Nothing was ever disclosed, but £2.5 million is all we paid.

Same goes for Scott Dann. Reported in most press that he cost £6.something Million, can't remember exactly what now, but he in fact only cost Blackburn £2 million, with add ons up to £3.5 million (again, I very much doubt any of those will have been triggered due to their plight). The £6million+ figure was also laughed about on a Blackburn forum I read a few months back saying there was no way the Venky's would spend anything like that kind of money and they were all surprised than they actually even splashed out £2 million on a player.

Most transfer fees will get inflated by the press and exaggerated with all the add-ons added on plus even sell-on clauses.

Back
Top Bottom