Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tom Cairney - 18 million????

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry if discussed elsewhere but West Ham have had an 18 million pound bid rejected for a 27 year old who has only ever played for a struggling Hull side at that level.

I rate Cairney and think he's a good player at this level but 18 million and still rejected? I hate to say it but if that's the case how much must some of our lot be worth?

D

Dundee Wolf

I get your point but you’ve got to factor in the promotion chase for them though. £18m or retaining a player who will be crucial to you making the playoffs?

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well when you think Sam Clueless was signed by Swansea for a bit less than that i suppose its about right.. crazy
Just constant panic buying to appease fans

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've turned down stupid money for him before, I'd guess they are going to again now they're in the promotion mix.

Crazy though West Ham are bidding £18m for a player who'd at best be on our bench.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham could still get second if they carry on their recent form.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cairney has also said in the last few days that he is happy at Fulham and doesn't want to leave.

So they have no need to sell, no pressure from the player and no guarantee he could be replaced, even with £18m.

D

Deleted member TW5162

I like Cairney clever player, given some of the ridiculous fees paid for far lesser players than him over the last few seasons - I don’t think £18 Million is that far fetched.

T

TurboTaco91

I like Cairney clever player, given some of the ridiculous fees paid for far lesser players than him over the last few seasons - I don’t think £18 Million is that far fetched.
Neves cost 15 mill

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good player. For me no doubt he can cut it in lower part of the premier league. Very much a late bloomer in my eyes.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, it always makes me laugh when you hear pundits talking about players who have generally only played in the Championship and saying that they don't think they can cut it in the premier league (eg Martin O'Connor on Radio WM earlier in the season referring to half of our players....he's gone quiet on that since!). It's as if they think that all of those players have to meet top six expectations...there is a considerable amount of seriously average players who have made a career for themselves in the lower part of the premier league who they seem to overlook consistently!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, it always makes me laugh when you hear pundits talking about players who have generally only played in the Championship and saying that they don't think they can cut it in the premier league (eg Martin O'Connor on Radio WM earlier in the season referring to half of our players....he's gone quiet on that since!). It's as if they think that all of those players have to meet top six expectations...there is a considerable amount of seriously average players who have made a career for themselves in the lower part of the premier league who they seem to overlook consistently!

Yeah. Cairney was in The Championship team of the year last season, deservedly so.

Of all the players named in the team of the year, Cairney, Sessegnon and Stockdale are the only ones not playing regular Premier League football this season. Stockdale probably would be, had he have agreed a new contract at Brighton and we all know that Sessegnon will probably end up at a top club next season.

Cairney would start for a lot of Premier League sides. There really isn't much difference in quality between the majority of players from the bottom 8 teams in The Premier League (maybe even more) and the top 8 in The Championship.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky Sports yesterday said that Fulham had said they wouldn't accept any less than £40 million

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agreed but still I
This is true. But £25m for a player of Moura's quality is also stupidly cheap in today's market!

Agreed but still I just can't get my head around it. That type of money to Fulham is a lot especially considering they are hardly a shoe in to go up!

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not about how much is a player is worth now, its about how much the buyers want the player.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed but still I just can't get my head around it. That type of money to Fulham is a lot especially considering they are hardly a shoe in to go up!

But in today's market, to replace a player of Cairney's quality is going to cost £12-15m with no guarantees that the new player settles and performs to the same level.

So although £18m might seem a lot of money, in reality they might only have a weakened side and pocket change left once they'd replaced him.

So I can see why they're saying £40m. Firstly, they no no one will pay that sort of money for him, so it puts potential bidders off. Secondly, that's the only amount of money where they could really be certain to end up with a stronger side after he'd left.

Last edited:
P

paddy

Wet Spam will pay 22 with add ons.
Fulham need the cash notwithstanding owners $$s

S

ShropshireLad

We'll soon see how his absence affects their play-off chances. It was a very short sighted decision if they fail to qualify.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
If we sign most/all of our loan signings in the Summer should we go up it will be interesting to see what fees get bandied about for our players should we do well next season .

D

Deleted member TW5162

Some might say Cairney is the better player, I didn't realise he was 27 though.

He is the more experienced player by some way, though I have every confidence that Neves’ career will eclipse his by a country mile.

I like Cairney as I have already said, great player, but Neves’ passing, vision and technical ability at 20 years old is quite frankly astonishing and I have no doubt he will become ‘world class’.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get your point but you’ve got to factor in the promotion chase for them though. £18m or retaining a player who will be crucial to you making the playoffs?
And this is what Morgan failed to see. Like it or not you have to invest to get into the greed league where those kind of fees are peanuts as the financial rewards are crazy.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they need the cash then they should realise it would be better to sell Fredericks to us rather than let him go for nothing in the summer.;):p

D

Deleted member TW5162

If we sign most/all of our loan signings in the Summer should we go up it will be interesting to see what fees get bandied about for our players should we do well next season .

Absolutely- there will be silly figures banded about next season. Make no mistake Wolves are now operating in the arena of players worth 10’s of milliions rather than 2-3 million.

If we do make it to the premier league then there are several things I will be interested to see how they pan out including:

1. How much we spend in the summer.

2. The interest in our current players, how we go about keeping and building on the squad we have.

3. And (the biggie) how stage 2 of the Mendes carousel turns out.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been a massive fan of Tom Cairney since I first watched him play for Hull V Leicester.
Brady played aswell in that game on loan from United and I really liked both of them.

Did Tom fail in the prem or was he just young?

Wasn't Bruce his manager aswell?

T

turner845

And this is what Morgan failed to see. Like it or not you have to invest to get into the greed league where those kind of fees are peanuts as the financial rewards are crazy.
It's not a very fair comparison comparing Fulham now with us under Morgan as Cairney has publicly stated his desire to stay at Fulham where as none of our players did that. Afobe was a disruptive influence in the dressing room and it is folly to blame Morgan for that and as a result we were left with little option to sell hi, no matter what the financial rewards.

E

Essex Wolf

Sure I read on SSN few days ago Fulham had said even a bid of £40M wouldn't prise him away. Good player he may be but he isn't worth the £18M that WHU have offered and for Fulham to talk of well over twice as much not enough is just madness.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves’ passing, vision and technical ability at 20 years old is quite frankly astonishing and I have no doubt he will become ‘world class’.

Best player I've ever seen live is Paul Scholes. It was later in his career when he played deeper. I watched nothing else but him for 90 minutes, he was that good.

Some might think I'm crazy, but there are elements to Neves' game already that remind me of Scholes in that deeper role. I've found myself just watching nothing else than Neves during games this season.

I'm with you, I think he will go all the way to the top.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham for me still have a weakness defending and a really tough 7 fixtures coming up , they might win them all they might not and keeping him they are giving themselves the best chance of going up so credit to them for keeping him although for me at that price I would sell.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best player I've ever seen live is Paul Scholes. It was later in his career when he played deeper. I watched nothing else but him for 90 minutes, he was that good.

Some might think I'm crazy, but there are elements to Neves' game already that remind me of Scholes in that deeper role. I've found myself just watching nothing else than Neves during games this season.

I'm with you, I think he will go all the way to the top.

Best Wolves player I ever saw live was Peter Broadbent who cost us £10000 from Brentford. Was a while ago though!

Back
Top Bottom