Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today’s Games 2023-2024

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Wales gave it all, fair play to them. In the end, we've got Szczesny and they have Ward.
Well, that was a first. Never seen Wales in a penalty shoot out before. Kind of sucks to be honest, but congrats to Poland, Very clinical penalties. Draw was a fair result as neither side particularly looked like scoring. Good luck in Germany.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Wales gave it all, fair play to them. In the end, we've got Szczesny and they have Ward.
Got to say, the game was played in a great spirit considering what was at stake. Thought the Polish players conducted themselves fantastically on and off the pitch. Apart from both teams behaviour on the pitch, the Polish team's interactions with the Welsh mascots before the game and ball boys / girls during the game was first class. Some nice touches. Such a tight game. Good luck in the Euros to Poland.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poland . No shots on target and Dan James misses the final pen. Christ on a bike .

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 games at home to decent sides, - Lose both. Score one goal in 180 minutes (a penalty)

And regardless of the talent pool you have, this is what happens when you persist with a manager who'd do well to get a job at Rotherham United.
It literally blows my brain he is our manager. This generation make the golden generation look like peak 2009 Derby County yet they they a complete muppet in charge simply cos he toes the party line and cares about players wellbeing when they are on a an away day.

Absolutely criminal we are letting this talent pool go to waste. Criminal.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I feel sorry for you.
Please don’t, it’s quite liberating. I’ve closed down another avenue of inevitable disappointment!

At one point I’d have gone with country over club any day of the week. Mexico 86, Italia ‘90, Euro ‘96, France ‘98 all crushed me emotionally! From ‘98 to early 2000s I used to attend England games fairly regularly. However, my interest in the team waned due to a number of reasons.

Seeing Wolves in the top flight made me realise how unlikeable Gerrard, Lampard, Terry etc were, I naturally matured and prioritised certain things in life, I found some of the jingoism and downright anti-Irish bile spouted by lots of England fans (in stadiums but more so in the pubs around Wembley and other grounds) distasteful. More recently the fuss over poppies, the farce that are international friendlies, Southgate’s tactics, England fans’ behaviour at the last Euros and the nonsense regarding the tiny multi-coloured cross on the back of the recent shirt has confirmed to me that it’s club > country all day for me.

I understand that some people prioritise the national team and that others have nation and club on a par. That’s up to them, personal choice. They’re not at fault, I have no sympathy for them, criticism of them, or advice for them. Good on them. I hope their choices bring them joy and fulfillment.

I love a World Cup, I love a Euros (especially watching Wolves players representing their nations), I’ll enjoy watching the tournament with my kids but I won’t be losing sleep over England like I used to.

However, I’m still angry about Coventry in the cup!

Last edited:

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please don’t, it’s quite liberating. I’ve closed down another avenue of inevitable disappointment!

At one point I’d have gone with country over club any day of the week. Mexico 86, Italia ‘90, Euro ‘96, France ‘98 all crushed me emotionally! From ‘98 to early 2000s I used to attend England games fairly regularly. However, my interest in the team waned due to a number of reasons.

Seeing Wolves in the top flight made me realise how unlikeable Gerrard, Lampard, Terry etc were, I naturally matured and prioritised certain things in life, I found some of the jingoism and downright anti-Irish bile spouted by lots of England fans (in stadiums but more so in the pubs around Wembley and other grounds) distasteful. More recently the fuss over poppies, the farce that are international friendlies, Southgate’s tactics, England fans’ behaviour at the last Euros and the nonsense regarding the tiny multi-coloured cross on the back of the recent shirt has confirmed to me that it’s club > country all day for me.

I love a World Cup, I love a Euros (especially watching Wolves players representing their nations), I’ll enjoy watching them with my kids but I won’t be losing sleep over them like I used to.

Good post. I feel similar having been England-mad since I was a nipper and feeling so patriotic at the 82, 86, 90 World Cups, and the Euros inbetween. Yet as I grew up, and other factors become more important in life, the constant failure of England at major tournaments drained my interest. I want England to win of course but have absolutely no excitement about forthcoming major tournaments as I know it will end in failure for us. And seeing nations like Greece, Portugal, Denmark all winning major tournaments makes me quite angry at our constant failure.

I wouldn’t necessarily sacrifice an England tournament win for a Wolves corner though, but if you asked me would I prefer an England major tournament win, or a chance for Wolves to replay that Coventry game… I would always go with the latter!

England have talented individuals but dont gel as a team when its needed most. They will, as ever, get to the Quarter Finals or Semi Final…. then get beat with a hard luck story so we can all feel sorry for them.

Would be nice if they prove me wrong of course!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever cared less about international football in the 40-odd years I’ve been on this planet. I’d have Wolves winning a corner over England winning a tournament these days.

I have very little interest in international football and it still frustrates me that a weekends fixture programme is decimated for them. They used to be played in midweek, in between domestic games. They should have kept it like that.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have very little interest in international football and it still frustrates me that a weekends fixture programme is decimated for them. They used to be played in midweek, in between domestic games. They should have kept it like that.
It's deliberate, organizations, FIFA in particular have been trying to lessen the importance club football in favour of international games in the publics perception for decades.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hungary are the worst ranked team to have beaten us in Southgates time. Others have included Italy France Croatia Netherlands Brazil so the idea we choke against the big boys is not far fetched

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a kid, I used to wait up on a Wednesday night to watch Sportsnight with Harry Carpenter, deliberately avoiding the England score so it was a surprise when I watched it. Of course that was long before Sky and the internet!

Most of the time I fell asleep because the highlights would be sandwiched between tedious greyhound racing from Wimbledon (unless Ballyregan Bob was racing!).

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a kid, I used to wait up on a Wednesday night to watch Sportsnight with Harry Carpenter, deliberately avoiding the England score so it was a surprise when I watched it. Of course that was long before Sky and the internet!

Most of the time I fell asleep because the highlights would be sandwiched between tedious greyhound racing from Wimbledon (unless Ballyregan Bob was racing!).

Same here. I remember one episode of the Likely Lads when Bob and Terry were desperately trying to avoid hearing the result of an England game. I think I was like that.. :)

Clubs used to play on a Saturday, then internationals on a Wednesday and then back to domestic football on the Saturday after. I know I am old fashioned, but I preferred it like that.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hungary are the worst ranked team to have beaten us in Southgates time. Others have included Italy France Croatia Netherlands Brazil so the idea we choke against the big boys is not far fetched

It's extremely accurate.

People should also remember how fortunate Southgate has been with draws in knockouts.

WC 2018 - Colombia, Sweden, Croatia (The one team on the same level as us, who we then lose to)
Euro 2020/1 - Germany, Ukraine, Denmark, Italy (All of whom we're comfortably better than. He of course bottles the final)
WC 2018 - Senegal, France (A side on our level, and yes you guessed it, we lose to)

Of course if we had beaten France, it would have set up a Semi Final against Morocco.

Just think of all the nations we've managed to avoid in getting to the stages we have. It's absolutely staggering. And yet the second we play anyone remotely capable of beating us, with the exception of Germany in 2021, we go out. And it will be the exact same story this Summer and we all know it. A colossal waste.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same here. I remember one episode of the Likely Lads when Bob and Terry were desperately trying to avoid hearing the result of an England game. I think I was like that.. :)

Clubs used to play on a Saturday, then internationals on a Wednesday and then back to domestic football on the Saturday after. I know I am old fashioned, but I preferred it like that.
Yes! I remember that episode. They tried to avoid the score of England v Bulgaria - and all they saw was 'England F...' They thought is was 'England Four' or 'England Five'... and it turned out to be 'England Flooded off - game postponed' :)

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's extremely accurate.

People should also remember how fortunate Southgate has been with draws in knockouts.

WC 2018 - Colombia, Sweden, Croatia (The one team on the same level as us, who we then lose to)
Euro 2020/1 - Germany, Ukraine, Denmark, Italy (All of whom we're comfortably better than. He of course bottles the final)
WC 2018 - Senegal, France (A side on our level, and yes you guessed it, we lose to)

Of course if we had beaten France, it would have set up a Semi Final against Morocco.

Just think of all the nations we've managed to avoid in getting to the stages we have. It's absolutely staggering. And yet the second we play anyone remotely capable of beating us, with the exception of Germany in 2021, we go out. And it will be the exact same story this Summer and we all know it. A colossal waste.
I'm not here to defend Southgate, who I think is limited tactically, but can you give us a list of the teams 'on our level' that we beat in competitive games before he took over?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's extremely accurate.

And if we had beaten France and set up that semi final vs Morocco - they whole nation would be gearing up for a World Cup Final appearance.... a Wolves v Coventry scenario....

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not here to defend Southgate, who I think is limited tactically, but can you give us a list of the teams 'on our level' that we beat in competitive games before he took over?

From what point onward?

I think it's fair to say our squad between say 2007-2018 was nowhere near the level it is now.

From 2002-2006, we went out on penalties twice to Portugal (losing Rooney in both games), and lost 2-1 to a Brazil side with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo up front.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what point onward?

I think it's fair to say our squad between say 2007-2018 was nowhere near the level it is now.

From 2002-2006, we went out on penalties twice to Portugal (losing Rooney in both games), and lost 2-1 to a Brazil side with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo up front.
Well thats still a list of sides we lost to lol

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
From what point onward?

At the time it was all about the golden generation. You've told me who we lost to, but not who we beat.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes! I remember that episode. They tried to avoid the score of England v Bulgaria - and all they saw was 'England F...' They thought is was 'England Four' or 'England Five'... and it turned out to be 'England Flooded off - game postponed' :)

My apologies for going off topic, but I really liked the Likely Lads. It was one of my favourite comedies, and the one we mentioned was one of the best.

Anyway, back on topic, and I don’t like all these meaningless friendly internationals. Most of the time the players don’t look over interested either.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Back in the 60s and early 70s, Irish players would play for their club on Saturday and get the boat over to Dublin to play an International game on Sunday.

My first Ireland game was when we beat Poland in a friendly in Dalymount the Sunday after they got the famous draw at Wembley to qualify for the 74 World Cup.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the time it was all about the golden generation. You've told me who we lost to, but not who we beat.

I know, the list is limited throughout the past two decades. My point is that only between 2004-06 have we ever had a squad (well 11) as good as this, and in those incidences we went out on penalties to a strong Portugal side, whilst losing our best player in both games.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know, the list is limited throughout the past two decades. My point is that only between 2004-06 have we ever had a squad (well 11) as good as this, and in those incidences we went out on penalties to a strong Portugal side, whilst losing our best player in both games.
We always have players missing
Last 2 games we have half a team missing
We have lost on pens many times especially in big tournaments
I think we all have a tendancy to over state how good we are/have been
We have always had good individuals but rarely a good team,two very different things

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
And longer, aside from Euro 96 I struggle to remember competitive wins against top nations, usually it's an England team massively over-hyped by national media that never performs to the sum of its parts.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I understand that some people prioritise the national team and that others have nation and club on a par. That’s up to them, personal choice. They’re not at fault, I have no sympathy for them, criticism of them, or advice for them. Good on them. I hope their choices bring them joy and fulfillment.

I love a World Cup, I love a Euros (especially watching Wolves players representing their nations), I’ll enjoy watching the tournament with my kids but I won’t be losing sleep over England like I used to.

Excellent response and I am genuinely pleased you are still getting joy from football. I also agree with many of your points, particularly your Terry, Gerrard etc view. I haven't lost my enthusiasm for England (yet) and I do like Southgate whatever his weaknesses ( woke and proud me! :D ) .

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will watch England this summer but there will be no flying of flags from my car. No overpriced England shirt. No watching the game the game in a pub surrounded by drunk muppets throwing beer up in the air, shouting " Ingerland, Ingerland ! " while they are giving it " Brilliant Harry, clever play for that penalty " while every year until this one the same clowns in the £125 England tops have been wearing an Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea shirt screaming at the same player " You are a ****ing diver Kane you cheating **** ! " .

I have always been and will always be Wolves before England.

Of course as far as the Daily Mail and the Express are concerned this makes me a dangerous far left extremist :p:p:p

Last edited:

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Southgate is a long way from the best available for the England job... but I also think England were fantastic last night - going forwards at least. Poor defensively, but that was far from first choice defence on show.

I would love to see what an exciting, attacking manager could do with this group of players.

The "front 6" available to us is about as good a group of players as any nation could ever want to have available. We should be winning trophies.

We may under Gareth. We would under someone better.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Excellent response and I am genuinely pleased you are still getting joy from football. I also agree with many of your points, particularly your Terry, Gerrard etc view. I haven't lost my enthusiasm for England (yet) and I do like Southgate whatever his weaknesses ( woke and proud me! :D ) .
Cool response as well mate. I was being a little flippant with the ‘win a corner reference!

I think Southgate is a smashing fella (I too am definitely woke) I just think he’s limited tactically. Good luck to him in the summer and I hope you maintain your enthusiasm.

I think fair play to all those who maintain their passion for the national side and spend good money travelling to watch England. It was on my bucket list to go abroad with England for a tournament when I was younger. Maybe one day (maybe when Wolves players feature prominently in the squad) my passion will be reignited.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cool response as well mate. I was being a little flippant with the ‘win a corner reference!

I think Southgate is a smashing fella (I too am definitely woke) I just think he’s limited tactically. Good luck to him in the summer and I hope you maintain your enthusiasm.

I think fair play to all those who maintain their passion for the national side and spend good money travelling to watch England. It was on my bucket list to go abroad with England for a tournament when I was younger. Maybe one day (maybe when Wolves players feature prominently in the squad) my passion will be reignited.
I was interested in your last comment. I watched the England v Brazil game and if I'm honest I was routing for Brazil because Gomes was playing for them. I liked that Portugal U21s did well as Fabio Silva had the opportunity to enhance his reputation and possibly get us more for him this summer! Norman Bell above says it's Wolves before England for him; very much my view too.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football starting back tomorrow in the chump

Brizzle v Leicester will the choke continue?
Millwall v albion
QPR v Blouse 6 pointer

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Football starting back tomorrow in the chump

Brizzle v Leicester will the choke continue?
Millwall v albion
QPR v Blouse 6 pointer
Leicester play early kick off on friday and monday.
Ipswich play tea time kick off on friday and monday.
Leeds play friday night and monday night.

They could have mixed it up a bit!

Back
Top Bottom